2016-2017 Wayne State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone else on this waitlist who has also been accepted at MSUCOM?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone else on this waitlist who has also been accepted at MSUCOM?
I do know that last year someone started classes at an osteopathic college- I think it was MSU- and then they were accepted off the wait-list and came to Wayne.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd personally send a follow-up email asking for confirmation!
for those who withdrew their acceptance here, did you get a reply or response back? I sent the email two weeks ago and haven't heard anything, which has not been my experience with other schools. I want to make sure they've received and processed it so they can take someone off the waitlist!

Reactions: 1 user
They do check, but I don't think there is anything in the AMCAS rulebook about matriculating at a DO school and then dropping it to go to an MD one. "Legally-speaking", the rule is that you're not allowed to go from one MD school after you've attended its orientation.
You're technically not allowed to do that. Wayne said that matriculation anywhere else forfeits your spot. That being said, I guess they don't really check.

They do check, but I don't think there is anything in the AMCAS rulebook about matriculating at a DO school and then dropping it to go to an MD one. "Legally-speaking", the rule is that you're not allowed to go from one MD school after you've attended its orientation.
I think Wayne updated the policy because my wait list email states, "If you matriculate into any U.S. allopathic or osteopathic school of medicine during the present application year, your application will be withdrawn from any further consideration." Makes sense though because MSUCOM has a location right across the street and another 20 miles away.

Reactions: 1 users
I think Wayne updated the policy because my wait list email states, "If you matriculate into any U.S. allopathic or osteopathic school of medicine during the present application year, your application will be withdrawn from any further consideration." Makes sense though because MSUCOM has a location right across the street and another 20 miles away.
I agree. I think they updated their rules because of the MSUCOM situation(s)

Called the financial aid office this morning and they said they'll be sending out financial aid awards within the next 7 days

Members don't see this ad :)
Is the 'board of gov' item a scholarship? I haven't done anything with my award yet and that item has already been accepted. Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Is the 'board of gov' item a scholarship? I haven't done anything with my award yet and that item has already been accepted. Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Same. It was accepted for me so I assume it's free money, haha. Anyone know for sure?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Same. It was accepted for me so I assume it's free money, haha. Anyone know for sure?

Just got off the phone with admissions. It's a need-based scholarship.

Side note: I was also told final decision letters must be received by May 1st @ 5pm EST.

Just got off the phone with admissions. It's a need-based scholarship.

Side note: I was also told final decision letters must be received by May 1st @ 5pm EST.
Is it common for people to wait until the very last day of deadline to tell schools? Or do schools just wait to accept off wait list once they know the deadline has passed?

The latter. Some accepted students procrastinate until after the deadline, and schools must sent them a reminder e-mail that they can only hold one acceptance. Also, some students stay on waitlists for schools they know they would never attend, and that slows things down. I'm just grateful they moved traffic day up from May 15th to April 30th...

Is it common for people to wait until the very last day of deadline to tell schools? Or do schools just wait to accept off wait list once they know the deadline has passed?

No financial aid packet for me :( am I the only one? I called and was told that they "might not be done yet"

No financial aid packet for me :( am I the only one? I called and was told that they "might not be done yet"
They probably won't be done for a while. The priority deadline is May 1st, so they're likely anticipating a last big flux of fafsa packets coming in.

By "final decision letters" do you mean an actual letter? I sent them an email a couple weeks ago withdrawing my acceptance and then a follow up email, but have yet to receive a response or confirmation. I just want to make sure I'm contacting them through the right modality.
Same here. No response, I'll call tomorrow I guess.

Guys, how do I withdraw my acceptance? what is the email address?

Let's keep those withdraws comin'!

Love,
Everyone on the WL

Reactions: 8 users
Withdrew my acceptance and merit scholarship earlier this week; best of luck to all, especially those on the waitlist! :)

If you tell me the withdrawal email address, I promise I will open up a spot for you!
I sent my withdrawal request to the general admissions email ([email protected]) and they responded within a day, confirming it.

Reactions: 5 users
Withdrew my acceptance and merit scholarship earlier this week; best of luck to all, especially those on the waitlist! :)

I sent my withdrawal request to the general admissions email ([email protected]) and they responded within a day, confirming it.

What was the name of the merit scholarship and did you apply for it? Best of luck to you!

Guys, it was a pleasure. I wish you all the best of luck. I am grateful to Wayne for being my first interview and acceptance, and hope that you guys have a blast there. Hit a brotha up sometime, I'll come over there and let's party SDN style

Reactions: 4 users
What was the name of the merit scholarship and did you apply for it? Best of luck to you!

Not sure if I can publicly post the name? So I PM'ed you instead. And nope, I didn't apply for it, it just showed up like a glorious present. Thanks and same to you!

Guys, it was a pleasure. I wish you all the best of luck. I am grateful to Wayne for being my first interview and acceptance, and hope that you guys have a blast there. Hit a brotha up sometime, I'll come over there and let's party SDN style
Love this :thumbup:

Withdrawing my acceptance, hope it goes to one of you! :)

Can someone tell me how to go about doing this? Should I call admissions? Thanks in advance! (Noticed this was asked earlier but did not find a response)

Reactions: 2 users
Just out of curiosity, do you guys care to share what schools you're going to instead of Wayne?

Just out of curiosity, do you guys care to share what schools you're going to instead of Wayne?

Ross university!

Just kidding....Stony brook university
But I don't even know about that either, I'm on a couple of waitlists that id choose over stony brook

Lucky. I'm from California and the UCs just spat on my face
I would not argue with you there, luck has played a huge part in this cycle for me. I'm happy that you got in somewhere, though. Congratulations!

So since the 30th is a Sunday, do I need to do this by Friday at the latest? Thanks!
tbh if I were you, I would drop or drop your other ones today. Theres no reason to hold it anymore if they already gave you your financial aid info. You don't want to play games with the April 30th deadline, youve worked too hard. AMCAS takes a few days to process your drop so the sooner you do it, the better

Reactions: 3 users
I've heard that some schools will drop you if you are still holding multiple acceptances after the 30th... I don't know first hand though.

I am committing to Wayne and just sent withdrawal emails to my other acceptances. I have gotten confirmations back from all, so is that it? Or is there anything else through AMCAS or anything i need to do?

I am committing to Wayne and just sent withdrawal emails to my other acceptances. I have gotten confirmations back from all, so is that it? Or is there anything else through AMCAS or anything i need to do?
To my knowledge you're good to go :)

After april 30th, how soon do you think those on the waitlist will hear back. (the soonest to hear back)

Did anyone send a thank you e-mail directly to their interviewer afterward? I sent one to the admissions e-mail ([email protected]) but I don't have the contact information of the individual physician who did the main interview with me. Did they actually give us our interviewers' e-mails? Because I really don't remember. I'm not sure if my thank you e-mail was forwarded to him by the admissions committee, but I highly doubt it.