2016-2017 Wayne State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Studio One, University Towers, The Auburn, The Strathmore, The Scott at Brush Park, the Union in Midtown are all places med students live in. Consider Royal Oak as well. Will post a more extensive list/guide this next week. The Facebook group might be a good place to find apartments as well, graduating M4's usually hand over their leases to incoming M1's so that they can bypass the long waitlists at these apartments.

Disclaimer: I'm a commuter, currently looking for apartments though.
Does anyone have apartment suggestions for Downtown or Midtown?

For those of you asking questions, the M1's and M2's have exams this week so we might not get to them right away.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Does wayne accept update letters or letters of interest?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd like to introduce myself-

I'm Lauren and I was accepted to and attended Wayne SOM last year. I ended up taking personal leave (multiple family crises happened out of nowhere) and long story short I'm back this year as an M1 again (basically). I learned a lot from my experience!

Wayne is a really fantastic school and I can't wait to meet all of you.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone know some common places students live in ferndale/royal oak? Are those relatively safe places to live?

Are you asking about apartments? I rent a house in Ferndale and I LOVE it. Renting a little house in Ferndale is about the same price as some of the popular downtown apartments (from what I hear). It's even less money if you get a two bedroom and have a roommate. Also- room for dogs!

Studio One, University Towers, The Auburn, The Strathmore, The Scott at Brush Park, the Union in Midtown are all places med students live in. Consider Royal Oak as well. Will post a more extensive list/guide this next week. The Facebook group might be a good place to find apartments as well, graduating M4's usually hand over their leases to incoming M1's so that they can bypass the long waitlists at these apartments.

Disclaimer: I'm a commuter, currently looking for apartments though.

For those of you asking questions, the M1's and M2's have exams this week so we might not get to them right away.

Is there a c/0 2021 fb group?

Can't wait to start this July! I'm looking at places to live. Is Farmington Hills too far? My wife will also be attending Wayne (though not the medical school).
I think farmington hills is too far. Especially when you consider the traffic. Make life easy on yourself and live in Ferndale/Royal Oak or closer. UNLESS you are living with family and they are going to be cooking for you and supporting you- I think that makes the drive worth it for many students.

I'd like to introduce myself-

I'm Lauren and I was accepted to and attended Wayne SOM last year. I ended up taking personal leave (multiple family crises happened out of nowhere) and long story short I'm back this year as an M1 again (basically). I learned a lot from my experience!

Wayne is a really fantastic school and I can't wait to meet all of you.

Hey Lauren, welcome! You were destined to be my friend. How long did you go to M1 for?

to the current students or others in the know: what's a "good" price that won't break our budgets in midtown? i was thinking i could reasonably rent up to $1000/month for a 1 bedroom? is that in the ballpark?

Eta I realize budgets and all that are very personal and all that but as someone whose coming from oos, I don't really know what the ballpark range is that I should be looking for. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
About 5 months and I would love to be your friend!

How did you like those 5 months? Any recommendations to prepare for med school? What would you do differently?

I don't want to clog the thread, you can reply with a pm if you'd like.

Just curious, how did you know it was accepted? Did you receive a confirmation?

I sent the Letter of Intent & a copy of my CV (on resume quality paper) using priority mail with a signature required (a big envelope is hard to ignore). I verified via USPS that the letter had been received and signed for, and then I called the lovely woman at the admissions desk and got a verbal verification that it had been received and added to my file and she told me it "would be available for review at the next meeting of the admissions committee".

It's a literal physical file that they carry around. I saw my interviewer with mine and it was huge. I don't know if they are all that fat or if mine was just big because I am a non-traditional student. But- if you want something to stick out to an admissions officer then it can't hurt to use extra thick quality resume paper. I had to buy a 100 pack for like $25 and the money was WELL SPENT!

Reactions: 1 users
How did you like those 5 months? Any recommendations to prepare for med school? What would you do differently?

I don't want to clog the thread, you can reply with a pm if you'd like.

Repetition>Deliberation. I'm a conceptual learner with a research background and I had to let go of my natural inclination for conceptual learning.

Repetition>Deliberation. I'm a conceptual learner with a research background and I had to let go of my natural inclination for conceptual learning.
Thanks for the pointers, Lauren. You've actually offered some of the best advice I've read on this site in a while. I'm currently a BMS student at Wayne and also on the wait list like many in this thread. It seems to be an off year in acceptance methods for Wayne but I know a lot of changes are being made. I was told by multiple med school professors here that 500+ are given admission offers so we'll see.

Thanks for the pointers, Lauren. You've actually offered some of the best advice I've read on this site in a while. I'm currently a BMS student at Wayne and also on the wait list like many in this thread. It seems to be an off year in acceptance methods for Wayne but I know a lot of changes are being made. I was told by multiple med school professors here that 500+ are given admission offers so we'll see.
What do you mean by an off year? What changes, in terms of admissions, are you referring to?

What do you mean by an off year? What changes, in terms of admissions, are you referring to?

Off year in terms of how the usual number of acceptance offers given don't seem to be in line with other years, although I could be wrong. Also, Wayne is looking to fix prior issues with lack of diversity in the student body (one year recently only had 3 minorities out of ~300) and faculty for LCME accreditation. They are revamping all kinds of policies and getting rid of unproductive staff and faculty.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone been accepted off the waitlist recently?

Just out of curiosity, has anyone been accepted off the waitlist recently?
Not yet. I think from here on out, majority of the movement will happen in May. Students have to respond back to Wayne by April 30th to either accept or decline the offer. The school right now, I think, is focusing on 2nd look day because that is approaching. With that being said, I'm just assuming that is whats happening right now, I do not have any confirmed dates.

I sent the Letter of Intent & a copy of my CV (on resume quality paper) using priority mail with a signature required (a big envelope is hard to ignore). I verified via USPS that the letter had been received and signed for, and then I called the lovely woman at the admissions desk and got a verbal verification that it had been received and added to my file and she told me it "would be available for review at the next meeting of the admissions committee".

It's a literal physical file that they carry around. I saw my interviewer with mine and it was huge. I don't know if they are all that fat or if mine was just big because I am a non-traditional student. But- if you want something to stick out to an admissions officer then it can't hurt to use extra thick quality resume paper. I had to buy a 100 pack for like $25 and the money was WELL SPENT!

Do you by chance happen to have any of that paper leftover?

This, though there are professors that have focused on medical student education throughout their careers and haven't been able to be productive in terms of research that will be facing hearings as well. Think one of my favorite professor's one of those people.
Yeah I think it'll affect them for the better. Frees up more of the budget for good professors or other improvements

Has anyone heard anything back yet in regards to financial aid?

So, given since the admissions comittee went with the holstic approach last cycle, can any current M1s or M2s provide some feedback
On how the 2020 class is doing so far? Are test averages the same as previous classes? How is the class doing overall compared to other classes?

Nothing yet for me.
It takes forever but it always comes through, but now would be a good time to figure out your health insurance options. It is possible to have the cost of health insurance added to your loans. All students must have health insurance and it is not covered by tuition.

Any idea what this impromptu essay/scholarship business at second look is all about?

Are the impromptu essay scholarships also available to Canadians?

Also will there be more 2nd look day invites?

Does anybody know how the waitlist works? Specifically, do they rank your application immediately after deciding you're a wait list candidate? I have heard of people getting in off the list just this past week so I wasn't sure? I also had a somewhat late II date so I didn't know if it was first come first serve.

Does anybody know how the waitlist works? Specifically, do they rank your application immediately after deciding you're a wait list candidate? I have heard of people getting in off the list just this past week so I wasn't sure? I also had a somewhat late II date so I didn't know if it was first come first serve.
From what everyone's been saying it sounds like Wayne State doesn't even know how Wayne State's wait list works.

Reactions: 3 users
Hahah I think this is the most accurate thing on this thread
I'm not placing any bets on getting accepted off of it though. If we're going by their current admission tracker there are more than 500 waitlisted applicants right now. I know a lot of the 352 people they've already sent offers to will give up their spots in 24 days, as will a lot people on the waitlist who were accepted elsewhere, but there will still be a huge number of people on it no matter what.

I'm not placing any bets on getting accepted off of it though. If we're going by their current admission tracker there are more than 500 waitlisted applicants right now. I know a lot of the 352 people they've already sent offers to will give up their spots in 24 days, as will a lot people on the waitlist who were accepted elsewhere, but there will still be a huge number of people on it no matter what.
You're assuming whoever didn't get accepted, got waitlisted and Idk whether that is a valid assumption. I feel pretty optimistic about getting off of it. I too, know some people who got offers from my school and they will be turning down the offer to go elsewhere. Nevertheless, this waitlist ordeal is testing my patience to the extreme!

anyone want to share their experience of second look day ?

I don't know them personally but I'm in the Masters program here and word kinda gets around fast. But yeah, only like 1-2 people have gotten acceptances randomly over the last week.
Oh so they are BMS kids who got in?

If the faculty are union members the attempt to strip tenure will fail.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

anyone want to share their experience of second look day ?

It was pretty much everything that was missing from interview day; e.g., presentations, tours, good food. The tour of midtown was pretty awesome. It was opening day for the Tigers so the city was bustling. I went for a couple drinks downtown afterwards needless to say.

That tour guide is awesome.
It was pretty much everything that was missing from interview day; e.g., presentations, tours, good food. The tour of midtown was pretty awesome. It was opening day for the Tigers so the city was bustling. I went for a couple drinks downtown afterwards needless to say.

So sad to say I will be withdrawing my acceptance! Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 10 users
If anyone is giving up a lease at Studio One Apartments (or if you know a friend who is giving up a lease), please DM me! Or if anyone is looking for a roommate in a 2 bed/2bath Studio One Apartment, please let me know as well!