2016-2017 Wayne State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wonder if it's a sign that they're having less movement than in previous years

Members don't see this ad.

Just withdrew my acceptance. Good luck all!

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just called, was informed there is a high probability they will be meeting this week! I'd double check, but figured you would like to know.

Reactions: 4 users
Just called, was informed there is a high probability they will be meeting this week! I'd double check, but figured you would like to know.
Thanks for taking one for the team :) My feeling is meeting today decisions tomorrow, if what they said is true!

I did some searching through last year's thread and it looks like there were waitlist results which came out on May 19th, which would have been a Thursday. It seems like the next batch of acceptances came in early- to mid-June and then that's when they stopped.

Reactions: 2 users
I wonder why they give us such different answers day to day? Pretty frustrating especially since they never update the admissions tracker.

Reactions: 1 user
Has everyone started looking for housing? Where are y'all looking/leasing? I'm thinking midtown but geez it's expensive compared to other areas

Has anyone looked into or lived in cornerstone estates, cathedral tower apartments, or medical center courts? Curious if they are in safe areas

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Has anyone looked into or lived in cornerstone estates, cathedral tower apartments, or medical center courts? Curious if they are in safe areas

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Never lived in any of these but I pass most of them everyday going to class. Medical center courts are literally across the street from the med school, so it's as safe as the med school is basically. Cathedral tower is in a decent area by main undergrad campus and is also a short walk. Cornerstone estates are pretty far from school and the area is a little more sketchy being closer to the highway and underdeveloped housing areas, although they do look nice from the outside. But cornerstone would be a brutal walk in the winter and at nighttime in general.

Has everyone started looking for housing? Where are y'all looking/leasing? I'm thinking midtown but geez it's expensive compared to other areas
There are enclave cities within Detroit like Grosse Pointe, Allen Park, Dearborn, etc. which are very safe and nice places to live. Grosse Pointe is kind of pricey, not sure about the others. Hamtramck and Mexicantown are also alright and cheaper but have certain streets which should be avoided. Other cities that border Detroit like Madison Heights, Ferndale, Royal Oak and Hazel Park are all nice and have affordable housing. Stay away from the southern parts of Warren and Southfield. Both are ghetto and infested with street gangs.

Members don't see this ad :)
At this point I just want them to tell me yes or no this has been dragging on since November

At this point I just want them to tell me yes or no this has been dragging on since November

Called admissions and they keep giving cryptic answers so I doubt we'll ever get a straight answer. She said acceptances can still go out today based on the number of people that drop and if anything in your application changes they will call us. So confused.

Called admissions and they keep giving cryptic answers so I doubt we'll ever get a straight answer. She said acceptances can still go out today based on the number of people that drop and if anything in your application changes they will call us. So confused.
The difference between the WL movement this year and last year seems like night and day.

Has anyone who interviewed before January/February gotten an acceptance lately?

Accepted this morning via phone call. Out of state applicant. Going to accept the spot. Best of luck to those still on the WL! Is there a class Facebook page or anything?

Wow this isn't fun. Lol. Congratulations to everyone accepted!

Just got accepted to Wayne State this morning!!! I'm sooo excited!!! I interviewed January 24th. Out-of-state, non-traditional student, under represented minority student, MCAT 505, grad GPA 3.82, undergrad post-bac 3.7, undergrad overall 3.5. Since being placed on the wait list, I found a handful of doctors to shadow, I started volunteering at a med clinic for the homeless, and I started working on my EMT-B. Hope for everyone reading this, that you also got accepted off the wait list. I appreciate everyone who has been posting. Your words were comforting when I got wait listed. You're in my prayers =)

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Hoping they meet one more time before the month of June..
A bulk of the movmenet will happen in June. I think they just know began to look back at the Septmeber, October and Novmemeber interviewees. So I'm still pretty optimistic.

Hey, I was wondering if you or any other current students could comment on the firecracker exams. I've never heard of schools hiring a company to write their exams, the professors usually write them. How do you feel about them compared to traditional professor-written exams? Pros/Cons? Do your profs still have a say in writing them?

I feel like the exams written by firecracker dont really test your knowledge or make you think. Instead, the exams are tailored around the course pack in terms of factual information and not conceptual understanding. For that reason, I prefer instructor written exams

Any idea how many people are going to be taken off the waitlist this cycle? I believe they gave out approximately 550 acceptances last year. I'm really keeping my fingers crossed that I am accepted off the waitlist.

Does anyone know what the 2 weeks of orientation looks like?

Last edited:
To those that were accepted off the waitlist, how did you first hear? Did you receive a call or email first, and when was there a change on the online portal?

Also, does anyone know how much BMS students have gotten off the waitlist lately?

Thanks in advance! Eagerly waiting, with fingers crossed, for all of us on the wait list to get our offers!

To those that were accepted off the waitlist, how did you first hear? Did you receive a call or email first, and when was there a change on the online portal?

Also, does anyone know how much BMS students have gotten off the waitlist lately?

Thanks in advance! Eagerly waiting, with fingers crossed, for all of us on the wait list to get our offers!
No BMS students have been accepted off the WL. The only BMS students admitted to wayne SOM so far were interviewed and admitted before the new year.

From what I've noticed in the Facebook group of accepted students, almost every single person accepted in the past month (likely off of the waitlist) has been OOS, except one person who was IS.

From what I've noticed in the Facebook group of accepted students, almost every single person accepted in the past month (likely off of the waitlist) has been OOS, except one person who was IS.

So when is Wayne turning private then..

How did you find the facebook group? I just accepted their offer of admissions. Would love to join the group!

Reactions: 1 users
No BMS students have been accepted off the WL. The only BMS students admitted to wayne SOM so far were interviewed and admitted before the new year.
Thanks! That's what I was feeling, so its good to have to someone else say the same. I know there is usually a good amount of BMS acceptances, so hopefully there will be a bunch of offers shortly!

Spoke with a resource at the med school today and currently the plan is to not accept anyone off the WL until shortly after June 1st. So nobody freak out this Friday if we don't hear anything. Not sure exactly how much movement is expected but I could have more info regarding that in a couple days.

Reactions: 3 users
Spoke with a resource at the med school today and currently the plan is to not accept anyone off the WL until shortly after June 1st. So nobody freak out this Friday if we don't hear anything. Not sure exactly how much movement is expected but I could have more info regarding that in a couple days.
Thanks for the heads up

ah right after June 1st... so I have to reboot my AMCAS for 2018... superb!

Any specific reason, other Memorial Day, why they're waiting until after June 1?

Any specific reason, other Memorial Day, why they're waiting until after June 1?

People accepted last Friday have 2 weeks to accept or withdraw their acceptance. June 1st is almost 2 weeks time from last Friday

People accepted last Friday have 2 weeks to accept or withdraw their acceptance. June 1st is almost 2 weeks time from last Friday
Fair enough. It just feels like waitlist acceptances are trickling and that the expected bulk movement hasn't occurred yet. Though, I could be wrong, since I'm sure posts on here are not fully representative of the movement occurring.