2016 Match Rank List Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bellows

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've been lurking around SDN for a while now and just wanted to get the ROL thread going. I was hoping I could hear/read some of your thoughts about my list as a start. I'm pretty set on doing a fellowship and location isn't my biggest concern but being close to/in a city would be nice.

1. Rush
2. SUNY Downstate
3. Cook

These three move around a bit. All three seemed to have great fellowship matches. I really liked Chicago over NY. I've experienced enough of NY to know that if I end up here I can handle it, but rather not.

4. SUNY Upstate
5. U Buffalo
6. Texas Tech

Categorical programs over advanced would be better. Upstate and Buffalo are closer to home if I'm looking for pros. Cons are that they are Upstate and Buffalo, lol.

7. Temple (on probation but really exciting fellowship matches, residents feel that program is heading in the right direction with the changes they've made)
8. Baystate
9. NSLIJ (haven't interviewed yet, but too new for me to go higher I think)

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking around SDN for a while now and just wanted to get the ROL thread going. I was hoping I could hear/read some of your thoughts about my list as a start. I'm pretty set on doing a fellowship and location isn't my biggest concern but being close to/in a city would be nice.

1. Rush
2. SUNY Downstate
3. Cook

These three move around a bit. All three seemed to have great fellowship matches. I really liked Chicago over NY. I've experienced enough of NY to know that if I end up here I can handle it, but rather not.

4. SUNY Upstate
5. U Buffalo
6. Texas Tech

Categorical programs over advanced would be better. Upstate and Buffalo are closer to home if I'm looking for pros. Cons are that they are Upstate and Buffalo, lol.

7. Temple (on probation but really exciting fellowship matches, residents feel that program is heading in the right direction with the changes they've made)
8. Baystate

Thoughts?

Ancillary staff in nyc is known to be pretty bad in general and downstate is notorious for that. It sounds like you want to put cook higher. Buffalo is a bigger city than syracuse since you like cities. Temple's chair made a thread on here recently and he seems to be a solid guy, very honest. I wouldn't worry too much about the probation and it does seem like they are moving in the right direction. Nslij has really nice facilities, great ancillary staff and a ton of money but they are run by an amc and don't have a network which I hear helps a lot for finding decent jobs.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

1. Rush
2. SUNY Downstate
3. Cook
It sounds like you prefer Chicago. I would bump up Cook for that reason

Pitt
Hershey
UK
CCF
Roch
VCU
Jeff
UH
WVU
UCONN

Having a really tough time for 3-7
Anyone have anything to add about UK?
Best of luck to everyone

UTSW
Pitt
Mayo
WashU
UW
UCSF
UAB
Wake Forest
CCF
Vandy
MUSC
UK
Ochsner

I interviewed at UAB, Wake, CCF, and Vandy. It's hard to know how to help you with your list without knowing what you're looking for in a program...

Last edited:
Ancillary staff in nyc is known to be pretty bad in general and downstate is notorious for that. It sounds like you want to put cook higher. Buffalo is a bigger city than syracuse since you like cities. Temple's chair made a thread on here recently and he seems to be a solid guy, very honest. I wouldn't worry too much about the probation and it does seem like they are moving in the right direction. Nslij has really nice facilities, great ancillary staff and a ton of money but they are run by an amc and don't have a network which I hear helps a lot for finding decent jobs.

It sounds like you prefer Chicago. I would bump up Cook for that reason

Thanks for your replies. I really do want to put Cook higher, but I've also thought of the "uni vs. community" paradigm and I don't really know if this might come into play in my future. I've also followed along with the Temple chairman's thread and I agree with you Psai. For me they are a wildcard, I have a sneaking suspicion they may move up my list before this is done.

Anyone have any thoughts on UAB vs. Vanderbilt? I've been flip flopping them as my top two.

I would appreciate some help on trying to rank my programs. Open to any location but would prefer a bigger city. Most important thing to me is to get the best training possible.

NYU
NW
U Chi
UCLA
USC+LAC
UPMC
PENN
UNC
UVA
Miami

I interviewed at UAB, Wake, CCF, and Vandy. It's hard to know how to help you with your list without knowing what you're looking for in a program, but for me: 1. Vandy, 2/3. Wake/UAB, and 4. CCF.

My list (in no order):
Vandy
Wake
UAB
CCF
Emory
Duke
UNC
UF
U Miami
U Chicago
Northwestern
Johns Hopkins
U Maryland
Penn

Thinking I want to stay Southeast with Duke/Vandy/Emory as my 1-3. The allure of Hopkins and Penn is certainly strong though, and U Chicago was one of my best interview experiences. Regardless of order, I think these will round out my top 6.
Proof that interviewing is an individual thing - my interview at UChicago was so hilariously bad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Proof that interviewing is an individual thing - my interview at UChicago was so hilariously bad.
Ha, it is a crap shoot to some degree. Just from talking to people on the trail and classmates also going into anesthesia it's clear that experiences vary widely. I couldn't possibly get out of my day at a certain program fast enough, whereas my friend is likely ranking them in her top 3. A lot depends on the interviewers, which residents show up at the dinner/lunch, and applicant group dynamics, which is somewhat unfortunate because we only have one chance to visit these places. So, yeah, like you said very individual thing.

Anyone have any thoughts on UAB vs. Vanderbilt? I've been flip flopping them as my top two.
Vanderbilt has the slight edge for me but that's based a lot on personal fit. Otherwise, I do think vandy has better research/"academic" focus whereas UAB probably better for clinical skills. Honestly though, you'll probably come out equally well trained from either. Go with your gut.

Vanderbilt vs UAB comes up every year (frequently with Wake in the mix). Again, go to the place that fits your personality, family, etc- as any of these places are great choices.

Please see my post from last year: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/vanderbilt-vs-uab-vs-wake-forest.1115700/#post-16102837

The only thing I would add to last year's post would be regarding fellowship matching success.
The current CA-3 class has 15 residents, 13 chose to do fellowship.
Critical Care- 4 residents (3 at Vandy)
Pain- 2 residents (2 at Vandy)
Cardiac- 2 residents (1 at Vandy)
Research- 2 residents (2 at Vandy)
Peds- 2 residents (0 at Vandy)
OB - 1 resident (1 at Vandy)

All residents got interviews at the places that they applied. All matched at their first choice fellowship- this is not a hyperbole. Many wanted to stay, and others wanted to move for personal, family, or career reasons.

Nobody can say residency X is better than residency Y for the purposes of generalization. It is dependent on a multitude of factors that are only known to the applicant. In summary, I will say that my residency experience was rigorous at times, but also in a program that I met lifelong friends, and in a city where I was glad to call home for 4 years.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone,

1. Rush
2. SUNY Downstate
3. Cook

4. SUNY Upstate
5. U Buffalo
6. Texas Tech

8. Baystate

Thoughts?
If location really isn't a concern. From antidotal stories Downstate would be at the bottom, Rush and Texas tech would be down there too. Baystate would be higher up.

Vanderbilt has the slight edge for me but that's based a lot on personal fit. Otherwise, I do think vandy has better research/"academic" focus whereas UAB probably better for clinical skills. Honestly though, you'll probably come out equally well trained from either. Go with your gut.
I'd disagree. I think this argument is the equivalent of "book smarts vs. street smarts." They're not mutually exclusive, and I definitely did not feel I wouldn't get AT LEAST on par clinical training at Vanderbilt vs. UAB.

I'd disagree. I think this argument is the equivalent of "book smarts vs. street smarts." They're not mutually exclusive, and I definitely did not feel I wouldn't get AT LEAST on par clinical training at Vanderbilt vs. UAB.
Fair point, surely. I guess I didn't state clearly enough that my post was merely my impression/gut feeling.

Vanderbilt vs UAB comes up every year (frequently with Wake in the mix). Again, go to the place that fits your personality, family, etc- as any of these places are great choices.

Please see my post from last year: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/vanderbilt-vs-uab-vs-wake-forest.1115700/#post-16102837

The only thing I would add to last year's post would be regarding fellowship matching success.

All residents got interviews at the places that they applied. All matched at their first choice fellowship- this is not a hyperbole. Many wanted to stay, and others wanted to move for personal, family, or career reasons.

Nobody can say residency X is better than residency Y for the purposes of generalization. It is dependent on a multitude of factors that are only known to the applicant. In summary, I will say that my residency experience was rigorous at times, but also in a program that I met lifelong friends, and in a city where I was glad to call home for 4 years.

If you could go back, would you do anything differently?

Here's my list (in no order):

Mayo
Pitt
Vandy
UNC
UAB
WashU
Michigan
Iowa
UVa
MUSC
U of Wisconsin

Hey guys,

Would love to get some input/advice about my rank list. Definitely want to be at an academic center and do some research. Would prefer to be in a large city and will most likely do a fellowship. Here is my list in no particular order, split into my top half and bottom half preferences.

Top half:
Penn State
Case Western UH
Ohio State
NYU
Mt. Sinai St. Luke’s
Montefiore/Albert Einstein
Tufts
University of Illinois Chicago
Loyola

Bottom half:
ULCA Harbor
Case Western Metrohealth
Rutgers in Newark
North Shore LIJ
Wayne State DMC
William Beaumont
Henry Ford
St. Elizabeth

Thanks!

What's the point of a rank list with no order? Then it's just a name of programs and we already know what's out there. No one's going to hunt you down from your two posts and be mad that you ranked mayo third instead of second

I believe the point is to see how others would rank the programs that you are ranking, for ****s and giggles. Nobody is going to change their list based off an sdn ranking thread. It's for fun.

Thanks for the input! Those are impressive numbers. Any opinion on the PD stepping down?

If you could go back, would you do anything differently?

I am happy to be a resident at Vandy. The clinical experience is tremendous while the leadership and supervisory roles occur at early points in training. If you want research, it is there for the picking, but you aren't forced to be an academician. You are expected to become a competent consultant anesthesiologist at a minimum and are encouraged to utilize the abundant resources to move the specialty forward. If any of my family or friends needed anesthesia, I would be happy letting my resident colleagues handle their care. Now, is every day sunshine and roses? Absolutely not. Residency is a long and hard battle anywhere you train.

I would also say that many residents would say the same at their respective institutions. You need to have a little pride in the place you spend 4 years, but that place is not what defines you. Your preparation, work ethic, and ability to respond to those stressful times will decide your success in your attending years. So please don't take my response as Vandy is the best at everything. It was the best for my situation and I wouldn't change programs if I had the chance.

Thanks for the input! Those are impressive numbers. Any opinion on the PD stepping down?

McEvoy was a new PD during my residency, so I was at first nervous about having a new PD when I was a CA1. He expanded the periop service and elective rotations. He was always extremely responsive to resident concerns. He is staying at Vandy, but is now a Vice Chair. So he will still exert significant influence on the residency program. I haven't met the new PD, but I am sure he will do a great job for the program. I'm not trying to downplay the changing of a PD, but the clinical experience will not change.

Could definitely use some help with my rank list. I've got a couple of locations at "nearly equal" rank equivalence for me. Assuming that locations are all about the same to me, I could really use some input on ranking by reputation of the program alone:

Top 3:
UW
U of Chicago
UC Denver

Middle:
UC Davis vs. U of Illinois Chicago

Lower half:
Rush vs. Loyola

Others I've already got mostly figured out in my middle or lower half: New Mexico, U of Arizona, Tufts (location), Icahn St Luke's (location)

Any advice appreciated! Deciding between
Umami
Knox tenn
Vcu
Musc
Rochester
Iowa
Cooper
Few others, what you guys think? Sort of liking Miami and vcu

Pitt
Hershey
UK
CCF
Roch
VCU
Jeff
UH
WVU
UCONN

Having a really tough time for 3-7
Anyone have anything to add about UK?
Best of luck to everyone

Pitt is solid, excellent program. I only interviewed at rochester and I thought it was a great program but I think it comes down to where you want to live.

I would appreciate some help on trying to rank my programs. Open to any location but would prefer a bigger city. Most important thing to me is to get the best training possible.

NYU
NW
U Chi
UCLA
USC+LAC
UPMC
PENN
UNC
UVA
Miami

New York, Chicago, Los Angeles and Philadelphia are all big cities. I think you'll get solid training at every program on this list. But NYU has good regional, penn has their children's hospital, etc.

I'm just another applicant though

Last edited:
Pitt is solid, excellent program. I only interviewed at rochester and I thought it was a great program but I think it comes down to where you want to live.

New York, Chicago, Los Angeles and Philadelphia are all big cities. I think you'll get solid training at every program on this list. But NYU has good regional, penn has their children's hospital, etc.

I'm just another applicant though

My biggest question is how important of a factor is name/reputation? I think out of all the places I interviewed at Penn has the best reputation. I'm a bit concerned with the program though becuase every resident I talked to without prompting told me they work harder than most places (about 70hrs/week). I'm willing to put in the work if it will make me a better anesthesiologist and help with jobs/fellowships later on, but not sure if going to penn vs. somewhere else on my list would make a significant difference in better training/future prospects. I'd appreciate any input

every resident I talked to without prompting told me they work harder than most places

The Stanford residents did this to me too. And I believe them. There's a grand total of 2 CRNAs for the entire hospital, and even then, they only work in the endoscopy suites.

But their amazing departmental breakfast buffet makes up for the 60-70 hour work week amirite guys

It really is amazing...

I am easily won over by food

The Stanford residents did this to me too. And I believe them. There's a grand total of 2 CRNAs for the entire hospital, and even then, they only work in the endoscopy suites.

But their amazing departmental breakfast buffet makes up for the 60-70 hour work week amirite guys

It really is amazing...

It really is amazing...

Lol true story. But I didn't feel like it was an obscene amount more of work. Plus nice amenities for the residents...

The day I interviewed at UF the program director announced he was leaving to a head position at Vandy. This was around 2 weeks ago. Apparently they do not have a replacement yet. Can anyone speak to how this would affect their decision on ranking UF or a program with a similar situation?

Hey so, real quick, once we certify our rank list thats it right? We dont have to submit it in some way or take another step after that?

I thought MUSC was very impressive. Seemed that the residents got the fellowships they wanted and had a good work/life balance. What do you think?

MUSC has an impressive program. However, I thought their atmosphere was somewhat toxic. Out of all my interviews I thought their residents were one of the most unhappy groups.

MUSC has an impressive program. However, I thought their atmosphere was somewhat toxic. Out of all my interviews I thought their residents were one of the most unhappy groups.
Toxic? How so?

Toxic? How so?

This is a personal gut thing, so if you feel otherwise please don't let my impression sway you. However, I've talked to several other people on the interview trail who just felt like something there was "off." Maybe toxic is the wrong word, but there was a sense of uneasiness throughout the place. The residents seemed completely unenthusiastic about the program. A couple interviewers were nice, but others (including the chair) just seemed like having to interview candidates was a waste of their time.

This is a personal gut thing, so if you feel otherwise please don't let my impression sway you. However, I've talked to several other people on the interview trail who just felt like something there was "off." Maybe toxic is the wrong word, but there was a sense of uneasiness throughout the place. The residents seemed completely unenthusiastic about the program. A couple interviewers were nice, but others (including the chair) just seemed like having to interview candidates was a waste of their time.

Yeah, I think this is very person and time dependent. I got a really good feeling from their residents and everyone while I was there.

Posting anonymously for a member:

----

Main considerations in creating this ROL: Location, as I wanted to be on the east coast in a big city. Fit was very important and reputation mattered as well.

1) Brigham and Women's - Great reputation, connected to a Boston Children's, well known for ob and cardiac. I had a nice time at the dinner, residents looked happy and the pd seemed supportive. They didn't have livers. Boston is expensive. It has a reputation for hand holding and having a certain way of doing things. A lot of other great hospitals in the area.

2) Penn - Top notch program. Another fantastic children's hospital. Residents seemed a little unhappy and maybe a little overworked but great camraderie. Progtam director was fantastic. I'm not a huge fan of philadelphia but it seemed reasonably priced.

3) Cornell - Nicest location in Manhattan but pricey housing. Awesome regional at hss and also affiliated with mskcc. No free standing peds hospital. Seemed to be a fair amount of hand holding. There are a good number of negative reviews on scutwork but those were some years ago and the chair is different. The residents, who were very nice, spoke higher of brumberger who seemed to be doing a good job of changing cornell's reputation as a workhorse program. However, I hear that attendings play favorites here.

4) Mount Sinai - Best pd hands down in Adam Levine. Great resident advocate and is the face of the program. They acquired several hospitals recently and it seemed that the workload has increased greatly.

5) Columbia - This is a well known name. The icus are closed units and run by anesthesiologists. They have their own children's hospital and are great in cardiac. They give preference in fellowship to their own. The surgeons are apparently tough to deal with. The program director was described as aloof. The chair is stepping down. The area is not the best.

6) NYU - Lots of trauma. This program is great for pain and regional. They are building their own children's hospital. Residents were very nice and seemed pretty happy. Hours sounded good as residents are relived by crnas.

7) U Mich - Big name chair in Dr. Tremper, very supportive. This is a huge program and has a very friendly call schedule. Resident feedback matters a lot here and everyone seemed very happy. Ann Arbor is a college town.

8) Rochester - It is a city but had a college town feel to me. Their intern year sounded very nice where you rotate with many of the specialties that you'll be working with in the operating rooms. They also had early exposure to anesthesiology in intern year. Call schedule was unique and it sounded like their hours were on the lower side. I thought this was a great program, especially if you have a family.

9) Yale - I didn't feel like I connected with the residents or the faculty. Dr. Barash is here but he is retiring. They control most of the icus and are doing a lot more regional with ortho. I did not like New Haven.

10) Stony Brook - I thought this was a decent program. It looked like they were doing a fair amount of construction. It's a rather suburban area. There are no fellows so residents do all the cases. The residents seemed happy here.

11) NYMC - Similar sort of area to Stony. I thought Dr. McGoldrick was very honest. They seemed to match well for fellowship.

UCSD
UCLA
Stanford
MGH
BWH
UCSF
Duke
Cornell
Columbia
UC Irvine
Harbor UCLA
Cedars-Sinai
Penn
NYU
Yale

Pretty much in order. Obviously location mixed with reputation is important; with that 'formula' being quite complicated.

Stanford
MGH
BWH
UCSF
OHSU
UCLA
UCSD
UW
Virginia Mason
UC Irvine

Geographic strategy: west coast or haaarvahd

Hey, so I have my top 2 places picked out... but I need some help with my next 6 programs.

UAB - excellent clinical training. Great moonlighting opportunities. The residents here seemed very collegial and down-to-earth. Birmingham was ok as a city, not the worst place in the world but not the best either. The PD was awesome, and the residents spoke very highly of their training. Maybe a little weak in peds.

Michigan - Big name program with a ton of alumni. Tremper is a pretty legendary name in anesthesiology. The intern year (yes I know not to pick based off of an intern year) seemed pretty intense comparatively. No flexibility in the CA-3 year for electives. Ann Arbor, though cold, was a pretty cool place.

Case UH- Relatively impressed with this program. Was expecting to like it less than CCF, but ended up liking it more. The residents were awesome, not sure about Cleveland.

Mayo (Rochester) - Big name in both the anesthesia and real worlds. They do ground-breaking stuff, but they do it in Rochester, MN. They can go to Wake, Brigham, and the other Mayo sites for rotations that might be lacking in MN. Seemed like less work hour intense when compared to Michigan. A lot of flexibility in the CA-3 year. Have you seen their gym?

UNC - I liked the feel of Chapel Hill a lot. The chair, PD, and residents were super friendly. Their match list was phenomenal, multiple residents went to "Harvard", Stanford, Duke etc within the past 5 years. From other people that I've talked to, it seems like a much smaller name than the other programs on my list, but they are still matching at great places for fellowship. 1 hour or so away from Raleigh for the bigger city stuff.

UPMC - I like the program at UPMC a lot. I'm not sure about the traveling to 7(?) different hospital sites within Pittsburgh. The city seemed fun, but pretty dense and hard to get around. Great CC training.

Thanks!

I don't have an impressive list as most people on here but here goes nothin':

- Rutger's NJMS
- Baystate
- St. Elizabeth's
- St. Barnabas
- Allegheny
- Rutger's RWJ
- Maimonides
- Syracuse
- Wayne State

I'm pretty set on my number one and bottom 4 but could use some help on 2-5. Anyone?

Posting anonymously for a member:

----

Main considerations in creating this ROL: Location, as I wanted to be on the east coast in a big city. Fit was very important and reputation mattered as well.

1) Brigham and Women's - Great reputation, connected to a Boston Children's, well known for ob and cardiac. I had a nice time at the dinner, residents looked happy and the pd seemed supportive. They didn't have livers. Boston is expensive. It has a reputation for hand holding and having a certain way of doing things. A lot of other great hospitals in the area.

2) Penn - Top notch program. Another fantastic children's hospital. Residents seemed a little unhappy and maybe a little overworked but great camraderie. Progtam director was fantastic. I'm not a huge fan of philadelphia but it seemed reasonably priced.

3) Cornell - Nicest location in Manhattan but pricey housing. Awesome regional at hss and also affiliated with mskcc. No free standing peds hospital. Seemed to be a fair amount of hand holding. There are a good number of negative reviews on scutwork but those were some years ago and the chair is different. The residents, who were very nice, spoke higher of brumberger who seemed to be doing a good job of changing cornell's reputation as a workhorse program. However, I hear that attendings play favorites here.

4) Mount Sinai - Best pd hands down in Adam Levine. Great resident advocate and is the face of the program. They acquired several hospitals recently and it seemed that the workload has increased greatly.

5) Columbia - This is a well known name. The icus are closed units and run by anesthesiologists. They have their own children's hospital and are great in cardiac. They give preference in fellowship to their own. The surgeons are apparently tough to deal with. The program director was described as aloof. The chair is stepping down. The area is not the best.

6) NYU - Lots of trauma. This program is great for pain and regional. They are building their own children's hospital. Residents were very nice and seemed pretty happy. Hours sounded good as residents are relived by crnas.

7) U Mich - Big name chair in Dr. Tremper, very supportive. This is a huge program and has a very friendly call schedule. Resident feedback matters a lot here and everyone seemed very happy. Ann Arbor is a college town.

8) Rochester - It is a city but had a college town feel to me. Their intern year sounded very nice where you rotate with many of the specialties that you'll be working with in the operating rooms. They also had early exposure to anesthesiology in intern year. Call schedule was unique and it sounded like their hours were on the lower side. I thought this was a great program, especially if you have a family.

9) Yale - I didn't feel like I connected with the residents or the faculty. Dr. Barash is here but he is retiring. They control most of the icus and are doing a lot more regional with ortho. I did not like New Haven.

10) Stony Brook - I thought this was a decent program. It looked like they were doing a fair amount of construction. It's a rather suburban area. There are no fellows so residents do all the cases. The residents seemed happy here.

11) NYMC - Similar sort of area to Stony. I thought Dr. McGoldrick was very honest. They seemed to match well for fellowship.

Hooray for actually posting information we can work with.
BWH is an amazing hospital. I brought up the lack of livers in one of my interviews there, and they sort of brushed it off saying, "You learn about anesthesiology. You read about liver cases, and after one or two as an attending, you get it." Not exactly reassuring, but I don't know what I expected. They don't do livers, and I am not sure if I asked about other transplants. That being said, I honestly don't think you'll come out of Brigham deficient in any skill.

You're already aware about my qualms with Penn. If you can handle that, good on you.

UMich is a really great program with probably the most complete package of resident benefits. I don't think it gets enough love on these boards as it should, but people may not talk about it as much because most people know it's good and MS4s don't have to agonize whether or not they're making the correct choice. Drawbacks are the HUGE classes, lack of electives your final year, and how expensive Ann Arbor can be.

Last edited: