Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

2016 Nontrad Applicants' Progress Thread

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by doctorold, May 1, 2015.

1. tetley

Pre-Medical
    so update:
    graduated
    2 job offers
    MCAT in a month

Question though: I will be starting at whichever job I choose right at the same time I am going to be submitting my AMCAS. Should I put it down, even though I wont have significant hours yet?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. idontknowwhatnametopick

Medical Student
    Yes I'd put it down and write everything you hope to learn from it in the description. They need to see you're not going to be twiddling your thumbs all year, and then you can update them on how the job is going at your interviews!

tetley likes this.
  4. mavric1298

mavric1298 Long live snugseal

Medical Student
    Look at UWSOM's page - they have recorded talks by the dean of admission - totally worth listening to they are an hour - the next one on the interview is coming up but the one on the app is posted already. Anyway, she basically stated anything you "in the future" aka plans to do - they completely ignore. And it makes sense. They have no idea what your are going to follow through with, or that you actually are going to do the thing. They only address what you have already done.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

5. idontknowwhatnametopick

Medical Student
    Based on my interview experience there that seems very odd. I was in the same situation as @tetley and put my upcoming year's activities in the app, particularly my research job, and they asked me questions about it during the interview.

6. mavric1298

Medical Student
    What can I say - it's what was said.

https://mediasite.hs.washington.edu/Mediasite/Play/a10eac3296414fa8b88e81d829b632811d

At 34:00; talking about clinical exposure, if the person says I've finished my training and will be starting an intensive scribing position this summer - "if you say you're going to, we are going to screen you out, because you haven't done it yet"

"Having this thing you are going to to, isn't what you are getting screened on"

With that said, I've you've started even if you only have 1 hour, then I would say 100% put it

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

popopopop likes this.
  7. popopopop

Medical Student
    I'm putting down that I'm planning to take organic lab. I hope my school understands I'm following through with it lol.

8. Eccesignum

Eccesignum I Narcanned Your Honor Student
    Gold Donor Classifieds Approved

Medical Student
    You're allowed to enter in future/planned courses, it's fine. I still had a semester to go when applying so I put down all my planned spring classes.

9. mavric1298

Medical Student
    Yeah the future courses thing is fine. I think more to the point is if you have an experience that you haven't done yet - they don't take much stock from it. Courses don't really fall into the category those are more just a checklist item to be completed by matriculation. But let's say you haven't shadowed but say your are going to....that's a whole different story. They want to know what you got out of the experience, and if you haven't done it yet, you can say anything about what I means to you, what you got out of it, why it was meaningful.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

10. VegasPreMed

Medical Student
    Moving tomorrow. About a 10 hour drive. Sounds long to me, but I'm sure not as bad as some of you will have!

11. idontknowwhatnametopick

Medical Student
    Have a safe drive and a good move :)

VegasPreMed likes this.
  12. PopeChaChaStix

PopeChaChaStix Let's do the time warp again

Medical Student
    2 years later!! How's it going?

13. anichols8

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Step studying. I have nothing else to say. Lol. How are things?

14. PopeChaChaStix

Medical Student
    yeah also step studying....though our school is like "projects!!! that's what you all need now! lots of projects!" 2 more weeks of class then 2 more weeks of weird clinical prep/mock-exams-that-might-be-real-exams? Just trying to ride out the storm and get to dedicated

15. idontknowwhatnametopick

Medical Student
    Took Step and hit my goal score! Super happy. Now on OBGYN clerkship having a great time. Good luck to y'all on Step studying! It sucks but it goes by fast and it's a huge relief when it's over.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. PopeChaChaStix

Medical Student
    whaaaaaaat. Your school is doin it right! has your class already taken step 1? we still have classes!!

18. idontknowwhatnametopick

Medical Student
    Not the entire class, at this point half the class has taken it. We start clerkships January of MS2, with people split into 4 groups for step (mid feb, late march, early may, late june, or something like that). It's just the new trendy curriculum with a shortened pre-clerkship period.

19. Cawolf

Medical Student
    Awesome to see you guys are still hanging in there! Almost half way done huh?