2016 Nontrad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Much as this'll make @sss1219 cry, it's Miami :)
One of my friends is going to be attending there! When I go visit her maybe you and I can meet :D

Members don't see this ad.

Much as this'll make @sss1219 cry, it's Miami :)

Hahaha! Can't blame you though, the place is amazing. Glad they were able to help accommodate some, it's going to be a very fun 4 years that's for sure. Hopefully we'll end up seeing each other there anyways.

Reactions: 1 users
One of my friends is going to be attending there! When I go visit her maybe you and I can meet :D

Def, let me know!

Hahaha! Can't blame you though, the place is amazing. Glad they were able to help accommodate some, it's going to be a very fun 4 years that's for sure. Hopefully we'll end up seeing each other there anyways.

Hopefully! There's two more of us on the nontrad (aka The Bestest) board likely going to Miller too, so definitely let us know if you end up there!

Members don't see this ad :)
I AM DONNNNNE!

Finally committed today, after some nail-biting negotiating in the face of offers elsewhere. My heart knew where the right place but the money was unjustifiable...but they came back with a solid offer, one that I'm comfortable with. It was hard to send withdrawal emails (commitment, man, it's terrifying), but they're done. And now I can focus on the transition instead of the choice. It's a weird feeling.

Time for zen breaths and wine.

Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Any non-trads committing to BU? I felt a bit old at second look and didn't love some of the cliquey vibes I got from the younger students :(

Any non-trads committing to BU? I felt a bit old at second look and didn't love some of the cliquey vibes I got from the younger students :(

Not sure about BU itself but there are a couple people going to other Boston schools in this thread (@CyrilFiggis and @piii if I remember correctly, and I'm sure there are others).

We're all going to be the old farts in the class wherever we go. And if you're going to a school that admits a fair amount from its own undergrad you'll always have a couple cliques around just because some people have known each other for years. I've talked to a couple med students in this "outsider" situation though, and they've told me it feels awkward for a little while but medical school changes everyone. Once the initial dust has settled you realize you're all in this together, and you'll find your people.

Just got back from Reno's Second Look. If I wasn't sold before, I am now. They let us participate in the suture lab and at the Student Outreach Clinic I even got to draw blood! (From a med student, not a patient :p). Super relaxed med students. Only four students per cadaver in anatomy with random physicians that stop in and teach things like chest tube placement and other odds and ends. Eight weeks for Step 1 study time if we choose to use it.

Why can't it be June already?

Also, congrats @Eccesignum on choosing a school! Glad you got the aid to make it a comfortable decision.

Reactions: 4 users

I don't think that the people at a second look are representative of the entire class. There are probably plenty of people who live far from BU, have a job and can't take leave, or are already sure of their intent to matriculate, so they have no reason to attend second look.

There is a tiny chance that I might attend BU if there is waitlist movement, so perhaps I will see you there.

Oh man, @Eccesignum , @TravelingPanda AND (potentially) @gyrfalcon all at Miami! You guys are going to rock that place, congratulations!

It's definitely a great school and I love the MD-MPH program, but they haven't even sent me my financial aid package yet! It's so frustrating because it was high on my list, and the weather is definitely better than Providence.

I don't think that the people at a second look are representative of the entire class. There are probably plenty of people who live far from BU, have a job and can't take leave, or are already sure of their intent to matriculate, so they have no reason to attend second look.

There is a tiny chance that I might attend BU if there is waitlist movement, so perhaps I will see you there.

If I may ask, apart from location and the great clinical experience, what draws you to BU over Miami?

https://www.youtube.com/embed/IwBS6QGsH_4

I AM DONNNNNE!

Finally committed today, after some nail-biting negotiating in the face of offers elsewhere. My heart knew where the right place but the money was unjustifiable...but they came back with a solid offer, one that I'm comfortable with. It was hard to send withdrawal emails (commitment, man, it's terrifying), but they're done. And now I can focus on the transition instead of the choice. It's a weird feeling.

Time for zen breaths and wine.

We signed a lease for our new city also - moving in mid May!

(Though it is literally the opposite of Miami, I am still very excited)

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh man, @Eccesignum , @TravelingPanda AND (potentially) @gyrfalcon all at Miami! You guys are going to rock that place, congratulations!

It's definitely a great school and I love the MD-MPH program, but they haven't even sent me my financial aid package yet! It's so frustrating because it was high on my list, and the weather is definitely better than Providence.

That is really odd...Miller was one of the quickest schools in aid for me (and one of the most responsive later on with FA issues). Have you called them?

That is really odd...Miller was one of the quickest schools in aid for me (and one of the most responsive later on with FA issues). Have you called them?

I called and sent an email; four days later I get a reply asking me to send my FAFSA... which I did in February. I replied immediately and asked them if they could re-check, but haven't heard from them since :shrug:

If I may ask, apart from location and the great clinical experience, what draws you to BU over Miami?

They are both great schools and there are things I like about each, but my preference is for a pragmatic reason.

My husband is a researcher with a very specialized research focus, so we had come to terms with the realization that he would likely find a job in some city and I would be accepted to med school in another city. Recently he was asked to interview for a job in Boston that is (quite unexpectedly) a fantastic match for him. Needless to say, we'd be delighted to actually spend the next four years together. That is, assuming that he gets the job, and that I get off the waitlist.

Reactions: 4 users
They are both great schools and there are things I like about each, but my preference is for a pragmatic reason.

My husband is a researcher with a very specialized research focus, so we had come to terms with the realization that he would likely find a job in some city and I would be accepted to med school in another city. Recently he was asked to interview for a job in Boston that is (quite unexpectedly) a fantastic match for him. Needless to say, we'd be delighted to actually spend the next four years together. That is, assuming that he gets the job, and that I get off the waitlist.
Needless to say I'm crossing all fingers and toes for you! I hope it will all work out!

Thank goodness!

I'm trying to find a research job in boston right now, and things have been tough. The one lab that is - literally - doing nearly the same research I am now does not have funding for another researcher while grants are pending :(

I'm trying to find a research job in boston right now, and things have been tough. The one lab that is - literally - doing nearly the same research I am now does not have funding for another researcher while grants are pending :(

It's a very difficult time to be a researcher. I hope that you are able to find something soon, and that it is just a temporary stop on the way to med school!

I was just reminded to stay out of the pre-allo forum. Let me just tell you, this thread/forum is a shining beacon of rationality and civility.

I'm excited, finished getting all my LOR's updated and new ones, and getting in to shadow a DO I know through work, who took me out for coffee which turned into almost 2 hours of chatting, and ended with "of course I'll write you a LOR". SCORE

Reactions: 5 users
@mavric1298 Sometimes you need to expose your body to harmful antigens in order to build up a necessary long-term immunity.

Reactions: 9 users
I am so full of love for you guys! (I've been silently stalking the forums because my job has been hounding after my a**) Super jealous for those of you who get to move soon. We are still waiting to get some interviews/jobs in for the spouse, but its been a relatively silent process at the moment. (Been about a month) I may not be able to move out until end of June/july.
Regarding the SLW's, I went to my chosen school's and was meh at the people. A lot of them were super high strung and talking about all of their super elite choices they get to make and didn't talk about anything else. A lot of them seemed immature, others degraded their significant others during modules, and the few I really clicked with decided elsewhere :( I spent a lot of time around M1&M4s, though and those guys were awesome. I hope my class winds up being that way in the end...

@mavric1298 Sometimes you need to expose your body to harmful antigens in order to build up a necessary long-term immunity.

So fitting as I'm currently studying for my medical virology class and going over APC's (antigen presenting cells), MHC (major histocompatibility complex) proteins, etc. etc etc

Got a good laugh out of that one

So fitting as I'm currently studying for my medical virology class and going over APC's (antigen presenting cells), MHC (major histocompatibility complex) proteins, etc. etc etc Got a good laugh out of that one
Laugh while you still can. My homeopathy brethren are gathering a resistance against the HI-(Vaccination) injection amounts given out by Big Pharma to immuno-compromise our once strong America into an epidemic state of obesity of narcotic dependency. You couldn't spell homeopathy without the word "path" if it wasn't the right path to follow.

An End of Cycle Ode to My Suit
(or why nothing Eccesignum types on her phone in five minutes on the way to class can ever be called "poetry")

First interview! Aw crap, need a suit
Off to the mall (four times) to get me some loot!

There you were, sleek, and you fit me so well
We were meant for each other, right then I could tell

Next few months we went through so much together
(Especially Cleveland, remember that weather?)

Matched you up well with such tasteful bling
Almost lost you in Miami...yeah that was a thing

Airports and highways and hotels, oh my
That one night in Jersey when I seriously cried

Those times evil coffee tried to make a big spill
And you avoided all stains through the force of sheer will

Hotel rites of ironing and binge coffee drinking
And those 4 a.m.'s wondering "what the hell was I thinking??"

You were there every time the pressure felt hot
The only one who knew how tense my shoulders really got

Now it's all over, this big giant race
And I look over at you as you hang in your place

Quiet now. Hey. I just want to say thanks. For believing in me.
...but don't get comfy. I'll see you for residency!

Reactions: 15 users
An End of Cycle Ode to My Suit
(or why nothing Eccesignum types on her phone in five minutes on the way to class can ever be called "poetry")

First interview! Aw crap, need a suit
Off to the mall (four times) to get me some loot!

There you were, sleek, and you fit me so well
We were meant for each other, right then I could tell

Next few months we went through so much together
(Especially Cleveland, remember that weather?)

Matched you up well with such tasteful bling
Almost lost you in Miami...yeah that was a thing

Airports and highways and hotels, oh my
That one night in Jersey when I seriously cried

Those times evil coffee tried to make a big spill
And you avoided all stains through the force of sheer will

Hotel rites of ironing and binge coffee drinking
And those 4 a.m.'s wondering "what the hell was I thinking??"

You were there every time the pressure felt hot
The only one who knew how tense my shoulders really got

Now it's all over, this big giant race
And I look over at you as you hang in your place

Quiet now. Hey. I just want to say thanks. For believing in me.
...but don't get comfy. I'll see you for residency!
Bravo!
It's actually quite good :p

I am so full of love for you guys! (I've been silently stalking the forums because my job has been hounding after my a**) Super jealous for those of you who get to move soon. We are still waiting to get some interviews/jobs in for the spouse, but its been a relatively silent process at the moment. (Been about a month) I may not be able to move out until end of June/july.
Regarding the SLW's, I went to my chosen school's and was meh at the people. A lot of them were super high strung and talking about all of their super elite choices they get to make and didn't talk about anything else. A lot of them seemed immature, others degraded their significant others during modules, and the few I really clicked with decided elsewhere :( I spent a lot of time around M1&M4s, though and those guys were awesome. I hope my class winds up being that way in the end...

Surely they won't all be like that once the class is finalized. The obnoxious ones will make the most noise, but I'm sure there will be others who are more down to earth and easy-going. To be honest though, I'm also worried about being surrounded by a bunch of immature classmates too. I'm only about 5 years older than a new college grad, but I've always been an old soul anyway :)

Reactions: 2 users
Surely they won't all be like that once the class is finalized. The obnoxious ones will make the most noise, but I'm sure there will be others who are more down to earth and easy-going. To be honest though, I'm also worried about being surrounded by a bunch of immature classmates too. I'm only about 5 years older than a new college grad, but I've always been an old soul anyway :)
I am the same (28) but I feel ancient!

My husband was ancient at 41 when he started medical school. He is called Doctor now. Yes, I am a doc wife applying. Hopefully, all of us will be at the end of this road together as a physicians. This has been a very uplifting thread to read all year.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 8 users
My husband was ancient at 41 when he started medical school. He is called Doctor now. Yes, I am a doc wife applying. Hopefully, all of us will be at the end of this road together as a physicians. This has been a very uplifting thread to read all year.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
That is so cool! Best of luck!

cancelled my secondary to miller in august

still got rejected today

why rub it in??

Hello there,

Another non-traditional here needing help on deciding between UK versus UL. I will be paying as out of state so I will be in big debt...but I am looking at 40K more debt at UK than UL. Does it worth it? I think overall UK is better than UL as a school. Though UL is affiliated with more hospitals and in bigger city. I did not make it to UK second look day but I heard it is a competitive environment. Went to UL second look day and did not feel fit in as a non-traditional.

Congrats to all. I have been a silent stalker and you are all accepted to amazing schools:)

I heard that you were interviewing

Why'd you withdraw it, if I may ask? Or did you not submit at all?

...jk. I just decided not to apply because I was burnt out from 30 secondaries.

I heard that you were interviewing

...jk. I just decided not to apply because I was burnt out from 30 secondaries.

58e22ad2c2958c14323dc9aa2b085fbb6c30d88273bf3d907408731405ff6cb6.jpg

Hello there,

Another non-traditional here needing help on deciding between UK versus UL. I will be paying as out of state so I will be in big debt...but I am looking at 40K more debt at UK than UL. Does it worth it? I think overall UK is better than UL as a school. Though UL is affiliated with more hospitals and in bigger city. I did not make it to UK second look day but I heard it is a competitive environment. Went to UL second look day and did not feel fit in as a non-traditional.

Congrats to all. I have been a silent stalker and you are all accepted to amazing schools:)

It sounds like you're waffling on a number of different factors (as many of us have done). What's most important to you in a school?

It sounds like you're waffling on a number of different factors (as many of us have done). What's most important to you in a school?
Thank you for your response. I feel like pretty much the same as you guys: fit, cost and residency

Thank you for your response. I feel like pretty much the same as you guys: fit, cost and residency

Not sure what you mean by 'residency', but certainly fit and cost are important. They can have different aspects though.

I saw you said you felt like you didn't fit in as a non-trad. I'm not sure how old you are, but anyone who's outside the "normal" matriculation age is going to be an oddity no matter where they are. The vast majority of people in your class will be younger than you are no matter what...doesn't mean you won't find your people.

You say UK is a competitive environment. Have you identified why you think that is? Is it non-P/F grading? What makes UK a "better" school than UL, in your mind?

Last edited:
I saw you said you felt like you didn't fit in as a non-trad. I'm not sure how old you are, but anyone who's outside the "normal" matriculation age is going to be an oddity no matter where they are. The vast majority of people in your class will be younger than you are no matter what...doesn't mean you won't find your people.

You say UK is a competitive environment. Have you identified why you think that is? Is it non-P/F grading? What makes UK a "better" school than UL, in your mind?

Yup, the nontrad fit thing is apparent at many schools. Yu're just gonna have to accept that most of your fellow students are younger than you. That doesn't mean you won't be able to find a new support circle though, and being in a huge city will also help with that (if you end up going UL at least).

That, the money, and UL being p/f (UK being letter/percentage grading, hence the competitiveness) would really entice me as a potential matriculant. I know I would definitely appreciate the lenience of p/f especially during Step 1 studying time.

Not sure what you mean by 'residency', but certainly fit and cost are important. They can have different aspects though.

I meant residency match. I was told it is P/F but then they report percentage too. UK is a better school to me because they seem to be more receptive, the way they present seem to be they have more resources, residency match and higher step 1 score too. The overall picture.

I meant residency match. I was told it is P/F but then they report percentage too. UK is a better school to me because they seem to be more receptive, the way they present seem to be they have more resources, residency match and higher step 1 score too. The overall picture.

You can't really read much into match lists as a pre-med. If school A appears to have more grads going into a certain field than school B, it may just be that fewer people at school B were interested in that field that year. I wouldn't base a school choice off it. On the other hand, if a school doesn't have a home residency in something you're extremely interested in, that might be something to consider.

There are very few schools which don't keep track of percentiles anywhere at any time. Some may not make them known to students but still keep them. P/F with reported percentages should just make you consider whether it's going to be difficult for you mentally to know where you stand versus everyone else. Some people can shrug this off and go on their merry way. Some people can't. It doesn't necessarily make the school more cut-throat; some schools have cultures which are quite chill despite percentiles being available. Have you talked to any students (outside of interview day) at UK about how competitive they feel it is?

You can't really read much into match lists as a pre-med. If school A appears to have more grads going into a certain field than school B, it may just be that fewer people at school B were interested in that field that year. I wouldn't base a school choice off it. On the other hand, if a school doesn't have a home residency in something you're extremely interested in, that might be something to consider.

There are very few schools which don't keep track of percentiles anywhere at any time. Some may not make them known to students but still keep them. P/F with reported percentages should just make you consider whether it's going to be difficult for you mentally to know where you stand versus everyone else. Some people can shrug this off and go on their merry way. Some people can't. It doesn't necessarily make the school more cut-throat; some schools have cultures which are quite chill despite percentiles being available. Have you talked to any students (outside of interview day) at UK about how competitive they feel it is?

I talked to couple students and they said they do not feel it is competitive among students....yet I saw couple posts on here saying it is pretty competitive at UK. What I need to decide now is whether to choose a school that I like over 50K cost difference? What do you think?

I talked to couple students and they said they do not feel it is competitive among students....yet I saw couple posts on here saying it is pretty competitive at UK. What I need to decide now is whether to choose a school that I like over 50K cost difference? What do you think?

I don't think I could make that judgment call for someone else...it depends where you're coming from. 50k, when considering the long ride, is not an insurmountable amount of money, but it is still debt and will rack up interest like the rest of your debt.

I personally chose a school that'll be about 40K more expensive than another choice I had, for a variety of reasons I felt were strong for me. But I also have minimal other financial responsibilities (no mortgage, no kids, no car payments, etc) and have no desire for that to change as I move into repayment time. That 40K won't be as much of an impact for me as it would be under other circumstances, and so it was worth it for me.

Other people's mileage may vary, and that's perfectly fine. You need to decide whether it's worth it in your particular situation, and if there are things at UK that you feel you really wouldn't be able to get at UL.

I don't think I could make that judgment call for someone else...it depends where you're coming from. 50k, when considering the long ride, is not an insurmountable amount of money, but it is still debt and will rack up interest like the rest of your debt.

I personally chose a school that'll be about 40K more expensive than another choice I had, for a variety of reasons I felt were strong for me. But I also have minimal other financial responsibilities (no mortgage, no kids, no car payments, etc) and have no desire for that to change as I move into repayment time. That 40K won't be as much of an impact for me as it would be under other circumstances, and so it was worth it for me.

Other people's mileage may vary, and that's perfectly fine. You need to decide whether it's worth it in your particular situation, and if there are things at UK that you feel you really wouldn't be able to get at UL.

What you said is totally what I need to hear. I am like you...I have no other responsibilities....so I just need to decide whether it is worth it to pay 58K extra for UK

If you do not mind I ask, why do you choose the more expensive choice?

What you said is totally what I need to hear. I am like you...I have no other responsibilities....so I just need to decide whether it is worth it to pay 58K extra for UK

It went from 40K in your first post to 58K in this one...regardless it's still a decision only you can make.

If you do not mind I ask, why do you choose the more expensive choice?

I'll PM you.

It went from 40K in your first post to 58K in this one...regardless it's still a decision only you can make.

I'll PM you.
heheheh after I do the math, it is actually 58K. But UK tuition cap for 4 years versus UL changes so at the end it should be around 50K