2016 Nontrad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
heheheh after I do the math, it is actually 58K. But UK tuition cap for 4 years versus UL changes so at the end it should be around 50K

I vote Louisville. If you can have a cheaper school that is also P/F, I'd go for that all day long. I know you said you didn't feel quite as connected at SLW as a non-trad, but my hunch is that once everyone settles in after a few weeks, you'll be able to make some good friendships. And as someone else said, it may be a little tougher for us non-trads to feel as connected, at least right away. It's tough to be friends with all those young whipper-snappers ;)

Just my two cents

Members don't see this ad.

Went to ask my PI for a LOR today
she said "of course, I would be so happy to!..."

"...and also, I would love it if you were to join my lab as a full time clinical research scientist for the year that you are applying."

:D

Reactions: 10 users

"...and also, I would love it if you were to join my lab as a full time clinical research scientist for the year that you are applying."

Congratulations! Hope that promotion comes with a sweet raise.

I couldn't even get my two project managers to follow through on their promise to let me work on some of the side projects they didnt have time for. Only 20 more days!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

GREAT problem to have!

Reactions: 1 users
So guys, I guess we're almost at the end of our run! Looking back at the beginning of this thread I can't believe how fast this went.

Just wanted to be all sappy for a minute and say it was great meeting all of you (many in person!). Good luck to everyone making choices, sacrificing to the waitlist gods, planning moves, and getting ready for the next phase. To people heading to school -- good luck, kill it in the name of the Non-Trad Coalition. To those reapplying -- if I can help in any way please don't hesitate to let me know.

I'm glad I got to share this thread with you all :)

Reactions: 12 users
one of my best friends is starting at miller for residency this year - I'll tell him to look out for a non-trad, former nurse and M1 student... and to grill you to keep you on your toes

Sooo, come August we should start a nontraditional medical school process thread!

This is only the beginning of our journey and I for one would love to have my own little corner of the internet where I can vent and learn about the great things you are all doing :)

Reactions: 9 users
We didn't have to send a "I'm planning on coming to your school" email to the place we did not withdraw from, correct?

We didn't have to send a "I'm planning on coming to your school" email to the place we did not withdraw from, correct?

I don't think so. One of the schools I withdrew from was dragging so I received an email from the school I am matriculating at asking me about it. But I don't believe you have to inform them if you chose them; although, I also don't think it would hurt!

But definitely include this:

58060742.jpg

Sooo, come August we should start a nontraditional medical school process thread!

This is only the beginning of our journey and I for one would love to have my own little corner of the internet where I can vent and learn about the great things you are all doing :)

Can we make this happen? I'd love to hear how everyone's story progresses after this (and also to internet-vent, lol).

Guys! I'm officially done being a premed! Just finished my very last final of my very last prereq! Wooooo! :woot:

Reactions: 10 users
Still sitting on my one and only WL but I'm hoping things work out!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Still sitting on my one and only WL but I'm hoping things work out!

Rooting for you so much... I really, really hope they come through for you.

You might be all over this, but do you have a strategy for following up with them, letting them know you are super interested, etc? Sometimes those contacts and follow up can really make the difference.

@Eccesignum You're in the home stretch! Good luck! I don't know about you but this has been the longest semester of my life... And I was only taking one class! Nothing could beat waking up this morning and realizing that I don't have class again for the next 3 months. Sweet, sweet freedom.

(And by freedom, I mean still working 40 hours a week... :lol:)

Rooting for you so much... I really, really hope they come through for you.

You might be all over this, but do you have a strategy for following up with them, letting them know you are super interested, etc? Sometimes those contacts and follow up can really make the difference.

I sent them an update letter in April that I'm hoping conveyed my interest. The school has a strong IS preference so I can only hope OOS choose to go elsewhere

You guys are still around? You didn't ride off into the sunset yet?

Sent from my SM-G900P using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Of course not

It's just that the 2017 Nontrads class has rolled in, making you guys a lame duck.

Last year's thread was chatting clear into June!

But we've passed their post count already so my heart's okay with it if you want us out of the nest :D

You guys should totally continue here or else create a new type of yearly thread for nontrads' first year of medical school. You could keep chatting to your heart's content while the rest of us learn from the rest of you what it'll really be like to be an M1 with the unique experiences/challenges you encounter by dint of being a nontrad.

Just a thought from the peanut gallery!

You guys should totally continue here or else create a new type of yearly thread for nontrads' first year of medical school. You could keep chatting to your heart's content while the rest of us learn from the rest of you what it'll really be like to be an M1 with the unique experiences/challenges you encounter by dint of being a nontrad.

I like this idea a lot. Anyone else interested?

This idea floats around every year. The problem is when people start Med School they become very busy to post. And some people disappear from SDN altogether.

Nooo don't go away forever :(

ignored emails while studying for finals

...forgot to order graduation gown

Reactions: 4 users
I just filled out all the paperwork for our commencement, and realized how much of a killing the rental company is making on the mandatory rental gowns. Unbelievable the pricing, but I guess when your business is based around what, a couple days the entire year.

I just filled out all the paperwork for our commencement, and realized how much of a killing the rental company is making on the mandatory rental gowns. Unbelievable the pricing, but I guess when your business is based around what, a couple days the entire year.
UW has rental gowns now? I had to buy mine. Then I just passed it on to a friend the following year.

hi fellow nontrads of 2016, still waiting... i guess it doesn't count as progress if i'm still in the same spot? :(

Waitlists are still moving, so it's not over yet. Got my fingers crossed for you.
I'd say it still counts as progress if you're still in the game.

Thanks guys! I guess the waiting game is harder than I anticipated. For something you've been working towards for 6+ years as a nontrad you'd think you'd be used to it!

update:
got my cap/gown

I called the sourcing company and the lady was so understanding about finals and had them put one on standby for me. She even told them to put it iin the faculty section so I didn't have to wait in line with the undergrads ^_^

How many schools are you WL'ed at?

1... And it's at a school that has great IS preference as at least 70% of seats are for IS. I'm sure things happen for a reason but the school is very special and I feel lucky to have even been interviewed

Hey guys! It was brought to my attention that I have been a horrible advertiser for us nontraditionals over here ;)

So, we created a SDN class of 2020 facebook group, it's all secret so no-one can see it unless invited, and we've got ourselves an awesome group of peeps in there. If you would like to join, send me a PM and I will add you :)

We stay very chill; there's no butthead behavior allowed (which sometimes tends to breed in particular areas of this forum)

so update:
graduated
2 job offers
MCAT in a month

Question though: I will be starting at whichever job I choose right at the same time I am going to be submitting my AMCAS. Should I put it down, even though I wont have significant hours yet?

so update:
graduated
2 job offers
MCAT in a month

Question though: I will be starting at whichever job I choose right at the same time I am going to be submitting my AMCAS. Should I put it down, even though I wont have significant hours yet?
Yes I'd put it down and write everything you hope to learn from it in the description. They need to see you're not going to be twiddling your thumbs all year, and then you can update them on how the job is going at your interviews!

Look at UWSOM's page - they have recorded talks by the dean of admission - totally worth listening to they are an hour - the next one on the interview is coming up but the one on the app is posted already. Anyway, she basically stated anything you "in the future" aka plans to do - they completely ignore. And it makes sense. They have no idea what your are going to follow through with, or that you actually are going to do the thing. They only address what you have already done.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Look at UWSOM's page - they have recorded talks by the dean of admission - totally worth listening to they are an hour - the next one on the interview is coming up but the one on the app is posted already. Anyway, she basically stated anything you "in the future" aka plans to do - they completely ignore. And it makes sense. They have no idea what your are going to follow through with, or that you actually are going to do the thing. They only address what you have already done.

Based on my interview experience there that seems very odd. I was in the same situation as @tetley and put my upcoming year's activities in the app, particularly my research job, and they asked me questions about it during the interview.

What can I say - it's what was said.

https://mediasite.hs.washington.edu/Mediasite/Play/a10eac3296414fa8b88e81d829b632811d

At 34:00; talking about clinical exposure, if the person says I've finished my training and will be starting an intensive scribing position this summer - "if you say you're going to, we are going to screen you out, because you haven't done it yet"

"Having this thing you are going to to, isn't what you are getting screened on"

With that said, I've you've started even if you only have 1 hour, then I would say 100% put it

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

I'm putting down that I'm planning to take organic lab. I hope my school understands I'm following through with it lol.

I'm putting down that I'm planning to take organic lab. I hope my school understands I'm following through with it lol.

You're allowed to enter in future/planned courses, it's fine. I still had a semester to go when applying so I put down all my planned spring classes.

Yeah the future courses thing is fine. I think more to the point is if you have an experience that you haven't done yet - they don't take much stock from it. Courses don't really fall into the category those are more just a checklist item to be completed by matriculation. But let's say you haven't shadowed but say your are going to....that's a whole different story. They want to know what you got out of the experience, and if you haven't done it yet, you can say anything about what I means to you, what you got out of it, why it was meaningful.