2017-18 Post-Doc Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just to be sure, has anyone heard from the following sites:

- Cambridge Health Alliance/Harvard Medical School
- VA New Jersey
- VA Philadelphia

Friend of mine heard from NJ VA health psych track early last week, still hasn't heard from Phili VA

Members don't see this ad.

anyone have insight on typical interview questions? trying to get a sense if they are similar to internship or not...

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone have insight on typical interview questions? trying to get a sense if they are similar to internship or not...
similar to internship in terms of:
why our site?; presenting some of your case material; what you individually will bring to the site

differences so far:
a lot more emphasis on professional development -- goals and how you've shown that you're heading in that direction.
gaps in your training thus far (relevant to the site) and how you've planned to fill those gaps.

I had one interview where I was asked to analyze a case vignette on the spot during an individual interview. However, it was much easier than it might have been a year ago, having 6 months of full time clinical work under my belt. Many of the other questions were similar to internship interviews (where do you see yourself in 5 years, what's your theoretical orientation, what's been your experience with x population, etc). Overall, I felt much less nervous and prepared, having done this all only a year ago!

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone heard back from any of these sites? Thanks again! :)

Indiana University Counseling Center
University of California, Santa Cruz Counseling Center
The University of California, Davis Counseling Center
San Jose State University Counseling Center
University of Illinois Counseling Center
University of Michigan Counseling Center

Anyone heard from Kennedy Kreiger's Center for Child and Family Traumatic Stress? Or Cambridge Health Alliance- Child & Adolescent Acute Services. These were the only two applications I submitted through the portal and the only two that I have not heard back from.

SHARP Healthcare CBT/DBT - IOP Track, personal email 1/23, interview invite, multiple dates in February

A friend got a UC Berkeley UCC invite 1/23 for a phone interview on 2/9

Members don't see this ad :)
I had one interview where I was asked to analyze a case vignette on the spot during an individual interview. However, it was much easier than it might have been a year ago, having 6 months of full time clinical work under my belt. Many of the other questions were similar to internship interviews (where do you see yourself in 5 years, what's your theoretical orientation, what's been your experience with x population, etc). Overall, I felt much less nervous and prepared, having done this all only a year ago!

thanks, so helpful!

similar to internship in terms of:
why our site?; presenting some of your case material; what you individually will bring to the site

differences so far:
a lot more emphasis on professional development -- goals and how you've shown that you're heading in that direction.
gaps in your training thus far (relevant to the site) and how you've planned to fill those gaps.

cool - thanks for that feedback!

Has anyone heard from SHARP Health care SMI track or San Diego Center for Children yet?

Anyone hear from Salem VA (in Virginia) or Memphis VA for the neuropsych track? Thanks in advance!

Site name: Patton State Hospital
-Date notified and notification style (email, phone, etc.): 1/24; personal email
-Invite or rejection: Invite
-Track (please specify even for general tracks): Forensic
-Interview dates offered: 1/31, 2/1, 2/2, 2/3, 2/6, 2/9, 2/10, 2/15, 2/17

University of New Hampshire (1/24) personal email - scheduling first-round phone interview
Villanova University (1/24) phone call - phone interview

Friend of mine heard from NJ VA health psych track early last week, still hasn't heard from Phili VA
CHA/Harvard for neuropsych states on their website that they will provide interview offers in early February. My guess is that it's a bit soon to hear from them.

Anyone sending thank you letters to the sites they interviewed at? Just wondering! Thanks!

A few people have asked about Barnard UCC, had a friend who got a call Friday and went for an interview this week already.

Hey all. Anyone heard or know anything about Milwaukee VA or Minneapolis VA? Any and all news greatly appreciated for anxiety.

Anyone hear from Tuttleman Counseling Services (Temple UCC)

UMICH/VA Ann Arbor (1/25/17)
Neuropsych Adult track
Rejection - positions filled
Personalized email

Hey all. Anyone heard or know anything about Milwaukee VA or Minneapolis VA? Any and all news greatly appreciated for anxiety.
I heard from Milwaukee VA neuropsych on 1/19/17 with INS interview dates (edit: Invitation; sorry I left that out earlier)

Last edited:
I got a rejection from their neuropsych position and another friend got an interview for a different track (she's interested in addiction and SMI but I don't remember what she applied for specifically). Hope this helps!

I got a rejection from their neuropsych position and another friend got an interview for a different track (she's interested in addiction and SMI but I don't remember what she applied for specifically). Hope this helps!
Which site did your friend hear from Minneapolis or Milwaukee? Thanks for the info!

Which site did your friend hear from Minneapolis or Milwaukee? Thanks for the info!
Just checked with my friend- she got an invite for Milwaukee's residential rehab track sometime last week.

Last edited:
for those who are interested: a friend received invites for the Milwaukee County Behavioral Health Division program and Rogers Memorial Hospital's FOCUS program

Has anyone heard from Palo Alto VA from the SUD/Homelessness track??

Has anyone heard from Palo Alto VA from the SUD/Homelessness track??
I have two friends interviewing there next week for the SMI and family tracks. Received their interviews a few weeks ago. Hope this helps

-Cambridge Health Alliance/Harvard Medical School
-1/27/17, email
-Rejection
-neuropsych

CHA/Harvard for neuropsych states on their website that they will provide interview offers in early February. My guess is that it's a bit soon to hear from them.

No, they started interviewing already for the neuropsych track.

-Site name: Southeast Louisiana VA (NOLA)
-Date notified and notification style (email, phone, etc.): 1/19/17 Email
-Track (please specify even for general tracks): PTSD
-Interview dates offered: Phone interviews on various days in early Feb

-Site name: Tennessee Valley Healthcare System (Murfreesboro)
-Date notified and notification style (email, phone, etc.): 1/25/17 phone call
-Track (please specify even for general tracks): Interprofessional
-Interview dates offered: Phone interviews early Feb

-Site name: STL VA
-Date notified and notification style (email, phone, etc.): 1/19/17 Email
-Invite or rejection: Rejection
-Track (please specify even for general tracks): PTSD

-Site name: Cambridge Health Alliance / Harvard Medical School
-Date notified and notification style (email, phone, etc.): 1/27 mass email
-Track (please specify even for general tracks): Program for Psychotherapy and Adult Psychotherapy/Assessment tracks
-Interview dates offered: 2/8 & 2/13

Has anyone heard from the Memphis VA clinical psychology or clinical health psychology tracks?

-Site name: University of Michigan CAPS
-Date notified and notification style (email, phone, etc.): 1/30 phone call
-Track (please specify even for general tracks): None
-Interview dates offered: 2/6 & 2/7

Site name: Cambridge Health Alliance / Harvard Medical School
Date notified and notification style (email, phone, etc.): 1/27 email
Invite or rejection: Invite
Track (please specify even for general tracks): Child and Adolescent Acute Track
Interview dates offered: 2/6, 2/8, 2/14, & 2/15

Nicklaus Children’s Hospital (Miami, FL): email 1/30, tele-interview 2/13 or 2/15

Has anyone heard from the Pediatric postdoc for Children's Hospital and Medical Center in Omaha, Nebraska?

Site name: DSH-Vacaville
-Date notified and notification style (email, phone, etc.): 1/31; personal email
-Interview dates offered: 2/21/17 or 2/23/17

Kennedy Krieger Institute
1/31/17 via personalized email
Invite for in person, skype, or phone
Child and Family Therapy Clinic
2/3, 2/6, 2/10, 2/17, 2/20

This is more related to the interview/offer process - all of my sites are non-universal-notification-date sites, and have a lot of variability in when they interview and make offers. For example, I've completed the full process at one, had a phone interview with an invite to an in-person interview later this month/early next, and one site hasn't even identified a phone interview date! What are y'all's thoughts on deferring offers if they come in before you've finished interviewing at all of the sites? Is that acceptable, or is there a standard amt of time you're typically given to consider offers? I've heard many differing opinions - Thoughts appreciated.

This is more related to the interview/offer process - all of my sites are non-universal-notification-date sites, and have a lot of variability in when they interview and make offers. For example, I've completed the full process at one, had a phone interview with an invite to an in-person interview later this month/early next, and one site hasn't even identified a phone interview date! What are y'all's thoughts on deferring offers if they come in before you've finished interviewing at all of the sites? Is that acceptable, or is there a standard amt of time you're typically given to consider offers? I've heard many differing opinions - Thoughts appreciated.

Hmm that's a good question and one I've thought about. My understanding is that you can ask a place to wait and hold the offer while you finish interviewing, but they don't necessarily have to agree to it.

While the efforts to create a universal process are appreciated, many programs aren't following it. This fact puts the onus on students to pick up the pieces, which then makes me question the helpfulness of the universal process. AHhhh, hopefully this will be over soon.