2017-18 Post-Doc Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I hope everyone gets a position next Monday or sooner! Good luck :) :nod::nod:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry for the double post - but it really is important - has anyone heard from Kansas University Medical Center for interviews in any tracks?

No one has contacted me via DM for this site. For the record, I applied there for internship and I'm not sure I ever heard back from them.

Most recent email from APPIC (2/22/17):

APPIC POSTDOC-NEWS
---

Postdoc Training Community,
The following is the last bimonthly update regarding postdoctoral training and selection before the 2/27/17 Notification Date.
General information and links to resources about postdoctoral section, including critical information for applicants and programs about unfilled positions following the 2/27/17 Notification Date, are at the end of this email.
Highlighted issues:
· Programs and applicants should have the emails and phone contact information for each other readily available on the morning of 2/27/17. It is recommended that applicants and programs communicate through both email and telephone.
· Applicants – Once you accept a position, you must communicate this to other programs where you are still being considered. This information will help facilitate the selection process for programs and applicants. This could be as simple as “I wanted to let you know, I have accepted a postdoctoral position.”
· Programs – Once you fill a position, you must communicate this to other applicants who are still being considered for that position. This information will help facilitate the selection process for programs and applicants. This could be as simple as “I wanted to let you know, we have filled the XXXXX postdoctoral position.”
· Although the Selection Guidelines indicate applicants should be given at least 24 hours to hold offers, applicants should be aware they may not need that much time. The following pertains only to offers made on 2/27/17 or later.
o If an applicant receives an offer from a program that is not their top ranked program, it is recommended the applicant contact their top ranked program, let them know they are holding an offer from a lower ranked program, and ask their #1 rank program if they could provide any information where he/she may fall in the program’s ranking of applicants. If an applicant is low on their #1 ranked program’s list, he/she may want to give stronger consideration to the lower ranked program. It is recommended they do the same for their #2 ranked program, and so on.
o If applicants are holding an offer of a lower ranked program, it is very appropriate to regularly check in with higher-ranked programs to see where they stand with their position(s).
o Holding an offer to consult with family, friend or other individuals is not seen as an appropriate use of this options. Applicants should have already had such conversations and considered them in their personal ranking of programs.
· Programs with unfilled position after 2/27/17 are reminded to update the UPPD and list the number of positions that have not been filled. Details how to access and update the UPPD are below.

Things to keep in mind:
· Per the APPIC Selection Guidelines, 2-year neuropsychology programs and predominantly research focused program are exempt from the 2/27/17 Notification Date.
· A handful of forensic postdoctoral program had established their own common notification date prior to APPIC advertising this year’s selection guidelines. These programs will be making offers about a week before 2/27/17. We are in discussions with these programs to encourage them to follow the Selection Guidelines and Notification Date for next year’s selection season.
· What does following the APPIC Selection Guidelines mean? Following the APPIC Selection Guidelines is more than just waiting to make offers on 2/27/17. We have become aware that some programs, although they have agreed to wait to make offers until 2/27/17, are alerting applicants that they will be given less than 24 hours to hold an offer. We want to point out to programs that indicating you will follow the guidelines in any of your public materials (e.g., website, postings, UPPD listing) means that you agree to follow all of the guidelines. It is critical that programs accurately represent their program in all of their public materials.
· Are accepted offers binding? The postdoc selection process results in what is considered a professionally binding agreement between the training program and the applicant. It would be unusual and likely considered unprofessional to renege on an offer for a "better offer" after an agreement was reached with the program/applicant. The exception would be grave personal circumstances where both the program and the applicant agree it is best to set aside the agreement. There are no formal consequences of reneging on an offer. Both program directors and applicants need to understand this is the same as a job offer and acceptance, it is a “verbal contract."
· Apparently, there is some confusion about the term “ranking” and the postdoctoral application process. The term “rank ordering” in the Selection Guidelines pertains only to applicants’ personal ranking of programs. Other than for clinical neuropsychology programs participating in the APPCN Match, there is no formal Match for postdoctoral programs, and no formal rank lists need to be submitted. .
· Programs and applicants should familiarize themselves with reciprocal offer processes as outlined in the FAQs for applicants and training directors.
· We have received a number of inquiries about how offers may be made on the designated uniform notification date (2/27/17). APPIC has been working over the past several years to provide more organization and structure to postdoc selection. To date, however, there are no suggested guidelines regarding how offers are made or communicated to applicants. Sites may choose to make offers by phone or over email. To be prepared, applicants may inquire in advance how sites where they are being considered will be making offers. We also recommend that applicants be available by cell phone and have ready access to email during that day.
· Although the universe of postdoctoral training programs is unknown, available information indicates there are more positions than applicants. Consequently, there should be many postdoctoral positions available after the 2/27/17 Notification Date. Applicants and programs should see the information below regarding the listing of unfilled positions in the UPPD.
· Although challenges are expected, we fully expect this year’s selection process to be much smoother than in previous years.
· The APPIC Postdoc Workgroup will survey applicants and programs in mid-March to assess this year’s process and identify ways to improve postdoctoral training and selection in the future.

Unfilled Positions after the 2/27/17 Uniform Notification Date
Last year APPIC developed an independent portal for programs to list unfilled positions following the Uniform Notification Date. For the current postdoctoral selection cycle, this function will be served by the UPPD. This information can also be found at http://www.appic.org/About-APPIC/Postdoctoral.

Programs - Programs that have unfilled position following 2/27/17 should:
· Log into the UPPD. Use the link above for instructions to log into the UPPD including how to reset your password if you cannot remember it.
· It is highly recommended that training directors test logging into the UPPD prior to 2/27/17 to ensure that they can access their program listings.
· Save your UPPD username and password and these instructions are in an place that is easy to access and remember.
· For each listing with one or more unfilled positions, add the number of unfilled positions in the field named "Unfilled positions after 2/27/17."
· Update the "Application Instructions" field to notify applicants how you want to receive applications for unfilled positions. It is recommended that programs be proactive and identify how they want to receive application beforehand.
· Update (save) the revised listing.
· For just unfilled positions added after 2/27/17, it is critical that programs update listings when positions are filled so applicants searching for unfilled positions can accurately identify programs with open positions. This will also prevent applicants from contacting you about positions that have already been filled.
· Note: The "Unfilled positions after 2/27/17" field has been cleared for all programs. Data that was in that field was moved to a “Memo” field.
Applicants - Applicants that have not secured a postdoctoral position on 2/27/17 should:
· Access UPPD http://www.appic.org/About-APPIC/Universal-Psychology-Postdoctoral-Directory
· Click on the "Advanced Search Options" button and change the "Unfilled positions" field to "show only listings with unfilled positions."
· Complete other search fields to narrow your search as desired. See the link for search instructions at the top of the search page.
· Pay particular attention to the "Application Instructions" field for information how to contact programs and submit application materials for unfilled positions.

As a general reminder, there is a wealth of postdoctoral training resources and information on the APPIC Website http://www.appic.org/About-APPIC/Postdoctoral
UPPD
· There are 878 programs listed in the directory.
· 95% of clinically focused programs indicate they will be following the APPIC Selection Guidelines and making offers on 2/27/17.
· The application due date has passed for 795 programs.
· UPPD link http://www.appic.org/About-APPIC/Universal-Psychology-Postdoctoral-Directory

APPIC Selection Guidelines
· Link http://www.appic.org/About-APPIC/Po...toral/APPIC-Postdoctoral-Selection-Guidelines

Postdoc FAQs for Applicants http://www.appic.org/Portals/0/docs/Webinar FAQs Answers For Web Final.pdf
Postdoc FAQs for Training Directors http://www.appic.org/Portals/0/docs/Webinar TD FAQs Answers.pdf
Postdoc Selection YouTube Videos
http://www.appic.org/About-APPIC/Postdoctoral/Postdoc-Application-Webinars
Postdoc Selection Webinars
http://www.appic.org/About-APPIC/Postdoctoral/Postdoc-Application-Webinars

Thanks,

Wayne

Wayne G. Siegel, Ph.D., ABPP
Licensed Psychologist
Board Certified in Clinical Psychology
Director of Training/ Psychology Supervisor
Minneapolis VA Medical Center
[email protected]
http://www.minneapolis.va.gov/education/psychology/psyc_home.asp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a question about holding and declining offers. Most of the places I interviewed indicated they will be calling with offers. Should I request an email confirmation prior to declining other offers? I've just always operated under the idea that all job offers aren't real until they're in writing, but with how quick the UND will go, is that an appropriate assumption?

I have a question about holding and declining offers. Most of the places I interviewed indicated they will be calling with offers. Should I request an email confirmation prior to declining other offers? I've just always operated under the idea that all job offers aren't real until they're in writing, but with how quick the UND will go, is that an appropriate assumption?

I would think any sites following the guidelines are straightforward and an offer means an offer.

I have a clear list of my choices, and as soon as I get an offer (most of mine indicated phone as well) from a site at the top of my list, I will contact those lower on the list immediately.

I would think any sites following the guidelines are straightforward and an offer means an offer.

I have a clear list of my choices, and as soon as I get an offer (most of mine indicated phone as well) from a site at the top of my list, I will contact those lower on the list immediately.

Definitely! I do hope the process goes quickly and smoothly and we are not left waiting the full 24 hours.

I appreciate the email stating very clearly:
"Holding an offer to consult with family, friend or other individuals is not seen as an appropriate use of this options. Applicants should have already had such conversations and considered them in their personal ranking of programs."

My one concern is if someone is waiting for an order from a program not following UND. That would definitely create a "log-jam"!

I'm planning to follow the guidelines exactly and decline any offers lower than the current offer I'm holding. And of course once I accept to let everyone know! I'm hoping everyone else does the same.

Anyone else go though this process previously (for pre-match internships or postdocs) and have any insight into the process?

Definitely! I do hope the process goes quickly and smoothly and we are not left waiting the full 24 hours.

I appreciate the email stating very clearly:
"Holding an offer to consult with family, friend or other individuals is not seen as an appropriate use of this options. Applicants should have already had such conversations and considered them in their personal ranking of programs."

My one concern is if someone is waiting for an order from a program not following UND. That would definitely create a "log-jam"!

I'm planning to follow the guidelines exactly and decline any offers lower than the current offer I'm holding. And of course once I accept to let everyone know! I'm hoping everyone else does the same.

Anyone else go though this process previously (for pre-match internships or postdocs) and have any insight into the process?

If your #1 choice is not following UND, you should probably talk to them today about their timeline. UND programs will probably give you a MAX of 24 hours to decide, so you will either need to decline a UND offer and hope for a non-UND position to come through later, or you will have to give up on the non-UND position.

Similarly I know many postdoc applicants who were offered non-UND postdoc positions with turn around times that didn't allow them to finish interviewing at other places before deciding.

This happens all the time: Job A and Job B have slightly different timelines for interviewing and offering positions. You prefer Job B, but you won't know about it until Job A's deadline to respond happens. You can either pick Job A because you like it enough and you want a job, or decline and hold out for the hope of Job B. This will happen for any clinical or faculty level position you apply for after postdoc, so unfortunately you just have to get used to it.

Good luck to everyone tomorrow. Going to spend today outside in hopes of finding inner peace.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey everyone! Need advice fast. If you don't receive any offers, is it appropriate to call the sites that haven't filled spots to ask where your at? Thanks again.

I'm also interested in the answer to the above question. Nothing but silence on my phone. Should I worry yet, or do calls typically trickle in over the next day or so?

Hey everyone! Need advice fast. If you don't receive any offers, is it appropriate to call the sites that haven't filled spots to ask where your at? Thanks again.
Yes, completely appropriate!! Many sites make offers, only to have those offers held by an applicant. Those offers may end up being rejected, leaving that spot vacant for whomever is next on the list. In my opinion, the sooner you voice your continued interest, the better, so they move on to you as a potential next candidate. Good luck!

Yes, completely appropriate!! Many sites make offers, only to have those offers held by an applicant. Those offers may end up being rejected, leaving that spot vacant for whomever is next on the list. In my opinion, the sooner you voice your continued interest, the better, so they move on to you as a potential next candidate. Good luck!

Probably wouldn't hurt to make the call, but I don't think it really helps you either. At this point, they have their order pretty set, I doubt someone calling to see where they are at will make a site move someone up or down.

For me, I'm not under the impression that I can move up or down the list based on my call, but rather I would like to get an idea of where things stand (even though I'm not currently holding other offers). My previous understanding was that you can contact sites for reciprocal offers, but does it look weird to say something like, "Hi Dr. X, I'm writing to check in on my status and ranking with the X postdoctoral fellowship. I remain very interested in the program and would be grateful for any information you could provide about my relative ranking." Thoughts? Mainly, I'm just going bonkers waiting. Time to practice some mindfulness/distraction.

Members don't see this ad :)
For me, I'm not under the impression that I can move up or down the list based on my call, but rather I would like to get an idea of where things stand (even though I'm not currently holding other offers). My previous understanding was that you can contact sites for reciprocal offers, but does it look weird to say something like, "Hi Dr. X, I'm writing to check in on my status and ranking with the X postdoctoral fellowship. I remain very interested in the program and would be grateful for any information you could provide about my relative ranking." Thoughts? Mainly, I'm just going bonkers waiting. Time to practice some mindfulness/distraction.

I wouldn't consider that weird at all, and I help rank postdoc applicants at my site. I've heard from many training directors that they expect and welcome inquiries like this. As long as you're not badgering someone, that sort of question can really help you decide if a site is worth waiting for.

I called Dr. Seigel (main contact for APPIC guidelines) and he said it was fine to contact sites asking where your at even though you haven't been offered anything. I'm expecting by this time, I wasn't in the top pick, but it helps knowing where I'm at.

Reactions: 1 users
I wouldn't consider that weird at all, and I help rank postdoc applicants at my site. I've heard from many training directors that they expect and welcome inquiries like this. As long as you're not badgering someone, that sort of question can really help you decide if a site is worth waiting for.
Thanks, That is helpful!

I have a held offer and I called my top choice, but just have radio silence. It's unfortunate because if I'm very low on their list it would be helpful for me to move on to my next top choice.

I applied to a spesific set of places. I have one on hold for a popular site, but I'm number 3 for my top ranked site. They are on hold with their 1 and 2. What are the chances that those two people are waiting on the position I have on hold? How can we all get out of deadlock instead of getting our second preference?

I have a held offer and I called my top choice, but just have radio silence. It's unfortunate because if I'm very low on their list it would be helpful for me to move on to my next top choice.

I'm holding an offer too. I was able to talk to my first choice, and they have an offer out that is being held, but said I am very high on their list and I should stay in touch. I can see how this can get complicated and take several days.

I miss the match.

I'm holding an offer too. I was able to talk to my first choice, and they have an offer out that is being held, but said I am very high on their list and I should stay in touch. I can see how this can get complicated and take several days.

I miss the match.
Maybe you are waiting on the site I am holding! Circular logic is circular.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone hear from the 3East program at Harvard/McLean??

Any thoughts or advice on what to do if we still have not heard from a top choice program asking about status and/or where the site is in the process? I already sent an email yesterday at noon but haven't heard a peep since. I don't want to badger them and I figured they are likely waiting to hear back from others, but they are my top (and only) choice at this point, and I'd like to know where I stand so that I can weigh whether I should begin to reach out to other sites that are still open.

Any thoughts or advice on what to do if we still have not heard from a top choice program asking about status and/or where the site is in the process? I already sent an email yesterday at noon but haven't heard a peep since. I don't want to badger them and I figured they are likely waiting to hear back from others, but they are my top (and only) choice at this point, and I'd like to know where I stand so that I can weigh whether I should begin to reach out to other sites that are still open.

I would call them! We have the right to ask about where we stand

How is everyone else doing who is still applying for postdocs? I'm ready for this process to be over. lol

How is everyone else doing who is still applying for postdocs? I'm ready for this process to be over. lol

This process is so much more stressful than the first round. I interviewed with 2 places last week via Skype and phone and there's basically no guidelines or rules that the sites have to stick to (like giving 24 hours to hold an offer). I accepted a position on Friday at a VA and I'm so relieved and beyond ecstatic! My heart is with those still going through this process - I feel your pain! Hang in there!!

current mood: I want to go back in time to everyone that told me "oh, finding a post-doc is SO much easier than the internship process" and punch them in the face.

Reactions: 5 users
current mood: I want to go back in time to everyone that told me "oh, finding a post-doc is SO much easier than the internship process" and punch them in the face.

I'm there with you. If would be nice to get good news other than we are not extending an offer at this time. I keep asking for feedback and feel like I'm doing something wrong in my interviews. What would be a total turn-off to postdoc sites? I'd like to know some more feedback from others who have interviewed prospective postdoc applicants. Thanks!

I take blame as someone who has said it's simpler in some ways. One of the ways is that postdocs become available throughout the year. There's no reason you have to accept one in March or really any point around now. Everyone I know found a postdoc, some on notification day, some the month before internship ended. The only ones I know that were upset at the end of the year were the ones who accepted one in panic in march. They missed a lot more enticing positions down the line that year. My point is, don't give up hope. And think hard about offers you feel like you "have" to take at this point.

I accepted an offer yesterday at one of my top sites! Thank you for all the support. I wish the best of luck and know your not alone in this process!!

Reactions: 2 users
Still no postdoc for me. I interviewed at one more place after the match day (a VA) and didn't get an offer. Now, I'm trying to decide what's next. I liked working within the VA and wanted to stick in the VA system, but I'm likely going to have to expand now, as I don't have a lot of geographic mobility . Does anyone have experience with forming their own postdoc at a hospital (either VA or non-VA)? I'm thinking specifically about two hospitals. One is a VA and one is a private hospital. Both have internship programs but no formal fellowships.

I doubt the VA route will work if they do not already have an established postdoc as those positions are funded well in advance, unless someone had some research grant money lying around.

Except the hiring freeze impacts research grant money too, so until April 22, the VA's hands would be tied with that as well :(

OOpppss. I actually did exactly that for the first call I ever received on UND. Fortunately the psychologist was super friendly about it.

Longest wait time given to me: 24 hours.
Shortest: 30 mins.