2017-18 Post-Doc Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hmm that's a good question and one I've thought about. My understanding is that you can ask a place to wait and hold the offer while you finish interviewing, but they don't necessarily have to agree to it.

While the efforts to create a universal process are appreciated, many programs aren't following it. This fact puts the onus on students to pick up the pieces, which then makes me question the helpfulness of the universal process. AHhhh, hopefully this will be over soon.

Thanks for the reply! That's my understanding too... I'm just not sure how to go about it, or if it's risky. Ah well, I don't have any offers yet, but thinking about how best to handle that situation should it arise. It almost makes one miss the match (almost...!).

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure how many people are still following this thread but I applied for the new Vanderbilt health psych track fellowship. The application wasn't due until a couple of days ago on 1/31 and the notification date is 2/27. What would you expect that means for their timeline? I'm assuming the notification date is the final selection notification. Being a new program I really haven't the foggiest when I might expect some contact.

Not sure how many people are still following this thread but I applied for the new Vanderbilt health psych track fellowship. The application wasn't due until a couple of days ago on 1/31 and the notification date is 2/27. What would you expect that means for their timeline? I'm assuming the notification date is the final selection notification. Being a new program I really haven't the foggiest when I might expect some contact.
I also applied there. Unless they are planning on Skype interviews, I am sort of expecting to hear from them today or Monday due to the tight window. I submitted my application several weeks ago and haven't heard a peep.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also applied there. Unless they are planning on Skype interviews, I am sort of expecting to hear from them today or Monday due to the tight window. I submitted my application several weeks ago and haven't heard a peep.
I applied to U. New Hampshire Counseling Center, whose deadline for applications was 2/1. They just started scheduling and conducting initial phone interviews, and mentioned that they will adhere to notification date and so will reach out with formal interview dates as soon as this first round is over. Given the tight window they're offering Skype interviews for everyone who can't make it in person

Reactions: 1 user
I have a question about offers. I know if you get an early offer, you can contact your top choice for a reciprocal offer. All of my sites are using the universal notification date. If I get an offer from my second choice on universal notification day, am I allowed to contact my top choice to see where I stand?

This is more related to the interview/offer process - all of my sites are non-universal-notification-date sites, and have a lot of variability in when they interview and make offers. For example, I've completed the full process at one, had a phone interview with an invite to an in-person interview later this month/early next, and one site hasn't even identified a phone interview date! What are y'all's thoughts on deferring offers if they come in before you've finished interviewing at all of the sites? Is that acceptable, or is there a standard amt of time you're typically given to consider offers? I've heard many differing opinions - Thoughts appreciated.
This happened to me. The site requested that I provide them with a specific date I would let them know my decision by and attempt to change my remaining interviews to an earlier date. I feel like this is still tricky because you don't know how long it will take sites to decide on a reciprocal offer. One of the sites I considered requesting a reciprocal offer from hadn't had their last interview day yet, so I suspect they wouldn't have been able to give me an immediate answer.

I have a question about offers. I know if you get an early offer, you can contact your top choice for a reciprocal offer. All of my sites are using the universal notification date. If I get an offer from my second choice on universal notification day, am I allowed to contact my top choice to see where I stand?

Yes you are, and in fact I've had sites encourage me to reach out on match day if this scenario happens.

Site name: Philadelphia VA
Date notified and notification style (email, phone, etc.): Email
Invite or rejection: Invite
Track (please specify even for general tracks): Neuropsychology

This happened to me. The site requested that I provide them with a specific date I would let them know my decision by and attempt to change my remaining interviews to an earlier date. I feel like this is still tricky because you don't know how long it will take sites to decide on a reciprocal offer. One of the sites I considered requesting a reciprocal offer from hadn't had their last interview day yet, so I suspect they wouldn't have been able to give me an immediate answer.

So what did you do? Take the one that was offered? Did you attempt to change your remaining interviews?

So what did you do? Take the one that was offered? Did you attempt to change your remaining interviews?
I accepted, but it was one of my top sites! Luckily, I had already interviewed at all of my top sites (that I had heard from at the time), so I decided to cancel my remaining interviews and use the time I had requested to think about which site was my favorite. I did not end up requesting reciprocal offers. I'm very excited about the site and SO happy to be done with this process, but, of course, nothing ever goes seamlessly. Shortly after I received an interview invite from a great site close to home, but the timeline just wasn't going to work (interview was late this month).

Last edited:
Is the main list no longer being updated? It seems like invites/rejections are still rolling in. I still have several sites to hear from and miss the ease of checking the main list v. scrolling through all the comments. @123EW I hope you are very busy on many interviews for exciting sites. Please continue updating, if you can! :)

I accepted, but it was one of my top sites! Luckily, I had already interviewed at all of my top sites (that I had heard from at the time), so I decided to cancel my remaining interviews and use the time I had requested to think about which site was my favorite. I did not end up requesting reciprocal offers. I'm very excited about the site and SO happy to be done with this process, but, of course, nothing ever goes seamlessly. Shortly after I received an interview invite from a great site close to home, but the timeline just wasn't going to work (interview was late this month).

That's a smart use of your time - sounds like it worked out great. Congratulations! Can't wait for this process to be over myself :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard back from brook army medical center?

I have been out and about interviewing. I only received a few invites/rejections via DM and posted them in the thread. You can always search by site name

Alpert Medical School/Brown CAPS (email 2/3) - Skype interview invite, 2/10, 2/13, 2/17, 2/24)
Cambridge Health Alliance, Victims of Violence program - rejection 2/7

I'm finished with interviews (I believe, have not heard back from one site yet, but guessing the silence is a no). Now I want an offer from my lesser preferred sites so I can ask for a reciprocal offer from my top site. I also want to be done with all of this and the convoluted thinking grad school instills.

I'm finished with interviews (I believe, have not heard back from one site yet, but guessing the silence is a no). Now I want an offer from my lesser preferred sites so I can ask for a reciprocal offer from my top site. I also want to be done with all of this and the convoluted thinking grad school instills.

You've captured the feeling perfectly. I was done feeling like a traveling salesperson. Luckily, I've accepted an offer, but it was a nail-biter. Hope it ends for you soon.

On the other hand, I am finally beginning to feel like a part of the field, rather than a bedraggled soul singing "Hello from the outside." It was nice to feel wanted by places and treated like I had skills to contribute, not just gain (even if that was in my own imagination). Fingers crossed that it continues.

Has anyone heard from upenn caps, Columbia caps, or temple caps?

Yes to all the above. Well I never heard from Columbia but I know they already offered positions to their postdocs. I got a rejection from temple about a week ago, and I'm on interview #2 from Upenn caps next week

Should a thank you email be written after a post-doc interview?

Still nothing? I haven't heard from them yet so I'm thinking it's not a good sign.

I'm assuming that not hearing from sites at this point is a sign that they are not interested. Has anyone heard from the following sites?

Kennedy Krieger (Peds Consult and Behavior Management tracks) - I do have an interview at the Child and Family Therapy track
Children's National Hospital - DC (Pediatric Pain track)
George Washington University Counseling Center
Family Compass (private practice in VA)

I'm assuming that not hearing from sites at this point is a sign that they are not interested. Has anyone heard from the following sites?

Kennedy Krieger (Peds Consult and Behavior Management tracks) - I do have an interview at the Child and Family Therapy track
Children's National Hospital - DC (Pediatric Pain track)
George Washington University Counseling Center
Family Compass (private practice in VA)

Through the grapevine I know that Kennedy Krieger's Behavior Management Clinic has scheduled interviews.

Children's Mercy Kansas City
Pediatric/Child-Clinical Psychology
2/15

Emory University School of Medicine/Children's Healthcare of Atlanta
Pediatric Psychology - Hematology/Oncology
1/30, 2/3, 2/6

Children's Hospital Orange County (CHOC)
Pediatric Psychology
2/8, 2/10, 2/13, 2/16, 2/17

Still nothing. Probably not a good sign for us for that site.
Just received a rejection email from Vanderbilt (Child Welfare and Trauma-Informed Care Program) today but realized the track I applied to is distinct from the one you mentioned.

Just received a rejection email from Vanderbilt (Child Welfare and Trauma-Informed Care Program) today but realized the track I applied to is distinct from the one you mentioned.

It is, but thanks for sharing nonetheless! Sorry about the rejection. I still haven't heard one way or the other.

American University Counseling Center (2/14) - in person interviews 2/17, 2/20, 2/24

Has anyone heard back from KUMC - Kansas University Medical Center in any of the tracks?

I received and accepted an offer. Good luck to everyone who has to wait until the 27th...

Reactions: 1 users
Questions:

1. If we get a phone call on 2/27, how long do we have before we have to accept or decline the offer? Is there a good way of asking for time to decide?

2. I have two NIH funded fellowships that have not interviewed yet. Does anyone know for research fellowships:
a. Is the funding amount is negotiable?
b. Do these fellowships usually come with benefits like health insurance and vacation?

Does anyone know if VA's tend to offer before the UND?

Questions:

1. If we get a phone call on 2/27, how long do we have before we have to accept or decline the offer? Is there a good way of asking for time to decide?

2. I have two NIH funded fellowships that have not interviewed yet. Does anyone know for research fellowships:
a. Is the funding amount is negotiable?
b. Do these fellowships usually come with benefits like health insurance and vacation?

You're supposed to respond within 24 hours at the most: http://appic.org/About-APPIC/Postdoctoral/APPIC-Postdoctoral-Selection-Guidelines

My understanding is you should really have a personal ranking of sites using the uniform notification date prior to 2/27 at 10am, then quickly accept, hold, or decline to allow the process to go quickly and smoothly.

You're supposed to respond within 24 hours at the most: http://appic.org/About-APPIC/Postdoctoral/APPIC-Postdoctoral-Selection-Guidelines

My understanding is you should really have a personal ranking of sites using the uniform notification date prior to 2/27 at 10am, then quickly accept, hold, or decline to allow the process to go quickly and smoothly.

Thank you. I do have a rank list. I'm wondering what to do if #s 2,3,4 call. Twenty-four hours seems reasonable.

Another question, if I got a call from #2,3,4, can I call #1 and ask where I stand? Is that an acceptable practice?

Does anyone know if VA's tend to offer before the UND?
It definitely varies. It seems like most of the VA clinical positions stick to the universal notification date. There were some who did not, but they told me they did not at the interview. In an office full of 3 interns who interviewed at a handful of clinical VA post docs each, I think 3 of the like 10 or so we heard from offered before the UND. One or two of those stated they only did it because someone asked for a reciprocal offer and one of us was their preference.

Thank you. I do have a rank list. I'm wondering what to do if #s 2,3,4 call. Twenty-four hours seems reasonable.

Another question, if I got a call from #2,3,4, can I call #1 and ask where I stand? Is that an acceptable practice?
If you get a call from someone further down the list, you should absolutely call your #1 and ask where you stand. If you're at the top of their list, they'll give you a reciprocal offer. If not, then you have to decide whether to take the position you were offered, or wait and see if someone higher up on the list at your #1 site decides to go elsewhere. This can be tricky if you're #3 and they take two people, less so if you're #8 and they take two. As far as how long you can hold the offer, generally the person making the offer will tell you. They will ask you on the phone if you want to accept or not. If you ask to hold the offer, they will say "please let us know by this time tomorrow" or "please let us know by close of business tomorrow." 24 hours is standard, but some will want to know sooner (someone in my internship cohort had a postdoc site request an answer within the hour). You will want to get back to them within the time-frame they request. It's definitely stressful (it actually made me miss the match), but it all works out in the end! Good luck!!

Agreed about the excruciating anxiety!

One question - Let's say that my #1 postdoc site notifies on the UND of 2/27. If they receive phone calls from other applicants asking for reciprocal offers prior to that date (because of sites that do not follow the UND) - would they possibly make the offer to me earlier (if I am on the top of their list) or would they still wait until 2/27?

One question - Let's say that my #1 postdoc site notifies on the UND of 2/27. If they receive phone calls from other applicants asking for reciprocal offers prior to that date (because of sites that do not follow the UND) - would they possibly make the offer to me earlier (if I am on the top of their list) or would they still wait until 2/27?

Good question! I'm wondering about this too...

Yes. One VA site offered early (like weeks in advance of the UND) to an intern cohort mate of mine. She asked for a reciprocal offer from her top choice (where we were interns) and this started a serious cascading effect. They then made an offer to their first choice (a different current intern), who asked for a reciprocal from her first choice (a totally new VA). That VA told her that she was their second choice, and to hold on while they made an offer to their first choice. etc. Our intern TD was miffed because apparently this VA does it every year and it sets off this intense cascade of activity and anxiety. He really wanted to adhere to the UND but felt pressure to break that. Obviously, each site is different. But I know my TD (and other TDs) have discussed this issue at length on various listservs, so I do not know if there has been any movement on the issue.

Also, FWIW most of the offers I was privy to requested a response in 24-48 hours.

Yes. One VA site offered early (like weeks in advance of the UND) to an intern cohort mate of mine. She asked for a reciprocal offer from her top choice (where we were interns) and this started a serious cascading effect. They then made an offer to their first choice (a different current intern), who asked for a reciprocal from her first choice (a totally new VA). That VA told her that she was their second choice, and to hold on while they made an offer to their first choice. etc. Our intern TD was miffed because apparently this VA does it every year and it sets off this intense cascade of activity and anxiety. He really wanted to adhere to the UND but felt pressure to break that. Obviously, each site is different. But I know my TD (and other TDs) have discussed this issue at length on various listservs, so I do not know if there has been any movement on the issue.

Also, FWIW most of the offers I was privy to requested a response in 24-48 hours.

Wow!! Thanks for the info. It actually does make me a little nostalgic for the match, and I didn't think that was possible! I'm not applying to VAs, but I can see the same process occurring at other types of sites.

Wow!! Thanks for the info. It actually does make me a little nostalgic for the match, and I didn't think that was possible! I'm not applying to VAs, but I can see the same process occurring at other types of sites.

yeah, i wonder how long before they go to an email match. i have a good number of friends taking off next Monday to deal with the phone calls, etc. i feel like in relation to the internship process, the application and interview process was definitely more laid back this year and that the actual match part is far more stressful so far.

just 7 more days.

Sorry for the double post - but it really is important - has anyone heard from Kansas University Medical Center for interviews in any tracks?

For some reason my anxiety is even worse this time around. I think for match there was some hope for being placed somewhere and for postdoc I just want one specific city :( I literally cant stop thinking about UND. ugh

Does anyone know if the sites let you know if the position is filled before the UND?

Does anyone know if the sites let you know if the position is filled before the UND?

Depends. I had one site I didn't even interview at email me this morning to tell me it was filled (Barnard). Another site (Columbia) filled weeks ago and never mentioned anything to me.