2017-2018 California University of Science and Medicine MBS program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefulpremed10

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone going to be doing the MBS program at Calmed this upcoming year?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm 90% sure I will be. Also considering an acceptance from Tulane MS Anatomy, but they have no linkage plus school starts on 8/1... Kind of a tall order to drop everything and get there by next Wednesday.

I just got an interview to the program this morning. Hopefully it goes well! A little hesitant since it is a new school

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I just got an interview to the program this morning. Hopefully it goes well! A little hesitant since it is a new school
Congrats! Did you apply to med schools last cycle, or were you already looking to do a special masters?

I applied but haven't heard back from them yet.

Congrats! Did you apply to med schools last cycle, or were you already looking to do a special masters?
I just finished undergrad so I was looking to do a special masters! and thank you :)

For those of you who got accepted into the MBS program, how are you paying for it? Apprently there are no federal aids available and Sallie Mae loans are not partnered up with them yet. I was just wondering what everybody else is doing besides savings ans etc. Thank you :)

For those of you who got accepted into the MBS program, how are you paying for it? Apprently there are no federal aids available and Sallie Mae loans are not partnered up with them yet. I was just wondering what everybody else is doing besides savings ans etc. Thank you :)

The CalMed medical school loans are through 'iHelp' so I'd imagine it'd probably be the same for the MBS program. Call the financial aid office though and I'm sure they'd be able to tell you more.

The CalMed medical school loans are through 'iHelp' so I'd imagine it'd probably be the same for the MBS program. Call the financial aid office though and I'm sure they'd be able to tell you more.
The same private loans are available for the MBS, I'm applying for one now. :)

I'm 90% sure I will be. Also considering an acceptance from Tulane MS Anatomy, but they have no linkage plus school starts on 8/1... Kind of a tall order to drop everything and get there by next Wednesday.

How long did your skype interview last?
I got an interview this morning, thought it went well, but was only about ~17min

How long did your skype interview last?
I got an interview this morning, thought it went well, but was only about ~17min
Congrats! I'm coming off the WL for this year's med school class, so I did the regular in-person interview back in April. The one-on-one portion of the day was pretty short - mine was maybe 20 min, others closer to 30.

I'm sure you did great. Did they tell you when you'd hear back?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! I'm coming off the WL for this year's med school class, so I did the regular in-person interview back in April. The one-on-one portion of the day was pretty short - mine was maybe 20 min, others closer to 30.

I'm sure you did great. Did they tell you when you'd hear back?

They did not tell me when I'd hear back :/
Now I'm freaking out

They did not tell me when I'd hear back :/
Now I'm freaking out
I'm sure you will be fine. My interview was about that long as well and I got accepted, however I am having a hard time with the finances..

Reactions: 1 users
Any thoughts on how to pay for this without a willing co-signer for the iHelp loans? How are you guys doing it?

Any thoughts on how to pay for this without a willing co-signer for the iHelp loans? How are you guys doing it?

It's been a while since I filled out my iHelp but as I recall you don't need a cosigner, it is simply an option. However, that was me and I'm not sure what rules/stipulations might be behind it that I may be unaware of.

I filled it out by myself and with a cosigner with very good credit and the interest rate was the same either way so I'm not sure how much of a difference it'd actually make.

And if you need help don't hesitate to reach out to financial aid at the school. They've always been friendly and helpful to me.

I am having a hard time with the finances
+1
It's going to be hard enough going from late career to full-time student, but the estimated cost of living seems awfully low...

the interest rate was the same either way
Interesting to know. I'd filled it out a while back when on the MD WL to see what rate I might get; should've applied then because now my rate is worse. :-( My cosigner is nervous about the whole thing so maybe I should just swallow the higher rate and move forward.

It's been a while since I filled out my iHelp but as I recall you don't need a cosigner, it is simply an option. However, that was me and I'm not sure what rules/stipulations might be behind it that I may be unaware of.

I filled it out by myself and with a cosigner with very good credit and the interest rate was the same either way so I'm not sure how much of a difference it'd actually make.

And if you need help don't hesitate to reach out to financial aid at the school. They've always been friendly and helpful to me.
Oh that's good to know thank you! Well my credit is not very good, so I need a cosigner :(

I'm sure you will be fine. My interview was about that long as well and I got accepted, however I am having a hard time with the finances..

how long did it take until CalMed got back to you?
Do you have defensible ties to the Inland Empire or are you out of that area?

how long did it take until CalMed got back to you?
Do you have defensible ties to the Inland Empire or are you out of that area?
They got back to me about a week later. I live in Northern Cali, but I was in socal for some time doing an internship but not necessarily any ties with the inland empire. I did research about the area and bring it up in my interview.

ty for the info. If you accept the acceptance, I hope to be your classmate.

They got back to me about a week later. I live in Northern Cali, but I was in socal for some time doing an internship but not necessarily any ties with the inland empire. I did research about the area and bring it up in my interview.

has anyone heard back yet?
I interviewed with them mid-July and heard from them last week. Although, I noticed some people were being interviewed towards the end of July as well... so I am not sure if the class has already been filled. For those who have been accepted, they have sent out emails in regards to performing a background check, housing, etc.

Perhaps reach out to admissions to ask about the status of your application? Good luck!!!

so 3 weeks between interview and admissions update?

I'm assuming you got accepted? Hows close are the fires over there?
About a week and a half. Yes, I was accepted! :)

Fires grew to 9600 acres towards Corona in Riverside County I think San Bern/Colton will be okay (just tried to post a link but I don’t meet SDN’s minimum requirements, sorry!)

Fires grew to 9600 acres towards Corona in Riverside County I think San Bern/Colton will be okay (just tried to post a link but I don’t meet SDN’s minimum requirements, sorry!)

Gah, I can't decide whether to reach out to admissions, or be patient and wait another week. I need to apply for loans asap, but don't wanna take a credit score hit if I'm not accepted. Did you find a place to stay bro?

Gah, I can't decide whether to reach out to admissions, or be patient and wait another week. I need to apply for loans asap, but don't wanna take a credit score hit if I'm not accepted. Did you find a place to stay bro?

I feel ya.. I found a place but a few other apartments I checked out were waitlisted (probably bc there are other universities in the area--LLU, University of Redlands, CSUSB)

I think it doesn't hurt to reach out because your concerns (finding housing, applying for loans) are justified. You would just be following-up on the status of your app--I don't think they'd see anything wrong with that :thumbup:

I feel ya.. I found a place but a few other apartments I checked out were waitlisted (probably bc there are other universities in the area--LLU, University of Redlands, CSUSB)

I think it doesn't hurt to reach out because your concerns (finding housing, applying for loans) are justified. You would just be following-up on the status of your app--I don't think they'd see anything wrong with that :thumbup:

gah, I'm embarrassed. got my acceptance email, it was actually in my spam folder :/
we gonna be classmates or what?
would you happen to have any online (khan style) information on any of these:
semester%201%20weekly%20schedule_4.PNG

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-9_16-14-43.png
    upload_2018-8-9_16-14-43.png
    20.5 KB · Views: 104
Hey everyone! Congrats on the acceptance into the MBS program! I'll be starting in the fall as well. Have you guys started looking for an apartment/housing yet? Should we start an MBS facebook group?

Hey everyone! Congrats on the acceptance into the MBS program! I'll be starting in the fall as well. Have you guys started looking for an apartment/housing yet? Should we start an MBS facebook group?

good idea. lets do it!
FACEBOOK /groups/2114425115476803/

might ask for proof that you are accepted already

Has anyone experienced having a hard time reaching out to the admissions at this school? I have been accepted but am having a hard time reaching out to the school to ask questions because no one seems to be near the phone ever :/

Has anyone experienced having a hard time reaching out to the admissions at this school? I have been accepted but am having a hard time reaching out to the school to ask questions because no one seems to be near the phone ever :/

Often quite difficult to reach. Did you leave a message and AdCom didnt get back to you?

good idea. lets do it!
FACEBOOK.com/groups/2114425115476803/

might ask for proof that you are accepted already
Thanks!!! Hopefully people will join!! Log into Facebook | Facebook

I would try calling and leaving a message. They were good at calling me back within 24 hours.

Just a heads up, for those of you who need loans.

These are extra fees (separate from the $50 application fee and $100 registration fee)

$29 for Drug check
and $150 criminal background check
+ ~$25 Vaccination myrecordtracker

Last edited:
Interesting that they're opening an MBS program when they're just opening their med school too

Interesting that they're opening an MBS program when they're just opening their med school too

its almost an extra million for their tuition income. I don't blame them for rapidly opening up this program.

its almost an extra million for their tuition income. I don't blame them for rapidly opening up this program.

For sure. But I'm curious why choose this program over a more established program when you acknowledge it's a cash grab? Other programs are cash grabs too but they've got results at least.

For sure. But I'm curious why choose this program over a more established program when you acknowledge it's a cash grab? Other programs are cash grabs too but they've got results at least.

It's a huge gamble for me too. But I weighed my options (cost of housing/medical school in this area) and this MBS program was the only program that did not start yet and could get me a foot into next years cycle.

Hello,
I know this is an old thread but do you mind sharing your interview experience? Was it formal? casual? Anything you can share?

Hello!
I know this is an old thread but do you mind sharing your interview experience with this school? Was it formal? casual? friendly? anything you can share?

Hello,
I know this is an old thread but I'm applying to this program and would like to know how their interview process was like? Since it is a new school there is not much information I can grab...I would greatly appreciate any feedback

@hopefulpremed10
@jazzmetal
@Apothecary Aquinas
@applepiesgalore
@JizzleThizzle

Hi everyone! I was just wondering if you guys matriculated into the program and how it is going? I was mostly wondering about the difficulty of the classes and the possibility of getting straight A's. I understand that most of my time is going to be spent studying but i was wondering if that is how I spend my time, then is getting all A's possible? I was also wondering how many students went on to med or PA school?
Thanks so much, I really appreciate it!

Hi, I did matriculate - now almost done! The program is really intense. We take 8 courses at a time and I'd say 5-6 of them are consistently challenging. The one-unit courses (Ethics, Anatomy, Critical Thinking/Journal Club and Careers which is P/F) aren't as demanding, but can still take up a fair amount of time, especially Ethics. Most of the others are two-unit courses that should really be three units. You'll definitely study all the time. I'd say a 3.7+ is doable if you're very disciplined and good at memorizing; I don't know of anyone pulling a 4.0 although that doesn't mean that no one is, and I've heard of a couple 3.9s. Of the 8 people who applied to the CalMed MD program this year, 2 were accepted and 2 waitlisted, initially. One person recently got in from the waitlist. No one in our class applied to PA school this year, as far as I know. There are another 8 of us who had a provisional acceptance to the MD program (graduate MBS with a 3.5+ and we're in) because we came into the MBS program from last year's MD waitlist, and a couple from that cohort got into other med schools too. Of course I hope they will choose CalMed. :) If so, then there will be 11-12 of us moving from CalMed MBS to CalMed MD this year, out of 33 MBS graduates this year.

What's motivating you to be looking at a special masters program? Have you already applied to CalMed MBS?