[2017-2018] Emergency Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Regarding adding SLOEs as the weeks go by, I have heard we have to notify programs if we assign another letter to their application after the initial app. Does anyone know if this is true? Would be a pain to notify dozens of programs...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Is there a spreadsheet like this from last year?

No SVI talk? Apparently providing what I thought were good examples for the questions they asked and talking about them for 2-3 minutes gave me a score of 16...what a load of bull****. Interviews I've done before have gone great and I get this? I'm actually upset. No rubric, no grading scheme, just an arbitrary f-ing number grade

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Dude I posted in the video interview thread but I got a 12. I'm at a complete loss too

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Dude I posted in the video interview thread but I got a 12. I'm at a complete loss too
No SVI talk? Apparently providing what I thought were good examples for the questions they asked and talking about them for 2-3 minutes gave me a score of 16...what a load of bull****. Interviews I've done before have gone great and I get this? I'm actually upset. No rubric, no grading scheme, just an arbitrary f-ing number grade

I wouldn't worry too much about it (easier said than done, I know). Word on the street and the twitterverse is that programs are not sure what to do with these scores. They should not hold enough weight to offset an otherwise acceptable/competitive app.

... or is it possible to use both and then un-assign a letter and exchange it for that last SLOE when I get it?

Sadly, you can't unassign a letter.

My recommendation: Go ahead and get the letter from the EM attending, in case something goes wrong with the third SLOE, but don't actually assign it to programs just yet. For now, assign the SLOE you have and the non-SLOE from your advisor, then add the next SLOEs as they come in. If the third SLOE never materializes for some reason, upload the letter from the other EM attending who offered it to you.

For people who posted in the google doc double check your degree. Unless you're one the unicorns with an MD who took comlex 1/2 people are slipping up!

Mods: One of you was kind enough to make the Interview thread a Stickied thread. Can this one be Stickied as well?

Edit: Thanks!

Last edited:
For people who posted in the google doc double check your degree. Unless you're one the unicorns with an MD who took comlex 1/2 people are slipping up!

Someone edited mine from MD to DO...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So as far as letters go: I have 1 SLOE, will be getting another soon, and a then will get a third by the end of october. I also have a non-SLOE from my advisor. Another EM attending recently offered to write me a letter as well. This would leave me with 5 total letters when all is said and done. Should I just pick one of the non-SLOE letters and go with it, or is it possible to use both and then un-assign a letter and exchange it for that last SLOE when I get it?

Hope that isn't confusing/hasn't already been answered somewhere.

You can only assign 4 letters total to a program. You cannot switch one out for another still giving you 4 total. Once a letter is in it's in. Save the room for the SLOE they're the main things people are looking for.

I wouldn't worry too much about it (easier said than done, I know). Word on the street and the twitterverse is that programs are not sure what to do with these scores. They should not hold enough weight to offset an otherwise acceptable/competitive app.
I've heard that programs aren't really going to look at the SVI scores until after interviews and maybe even after the match. Then they'll see if their assessment of the applicant matches the scores.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
I am doing 4 EM rotations. I currently have one SLOE but should have another one anytime now. I also have an EM physician letter and an FM letter. Should I keep just one SLOE and upload all 4 SLOEs as they come? Otherwise I was going to upload the EM physician letter now and then not use the last SLOE. I wouldn't have my 4th SLOE in until like mid November probably. I'm not sure how long I can have only 2 letters uploaded before it looks bad. My 3rd SLOE probably won't be done until mid October at the earliest.

Good luck starting tomorrow everyone.

My shift just ran a train on me for ten hours tonight. It was hard but fun as hell. You are all choosing a great specialty.

Reactions: 5 users
Regarding adding SLOEs as the weeks go by, I have heard we have to notify programs if we assign another letter to their application after the initial app. Does anyone know if this is true? Would be a pain to notify dozens of programs...

I would also love an answer to this! Does anyone know?

I would also love an answer to this! Does anyone know?

The PD where I am currently rotating said to do this if the SLOE doesnt get uploaded til after mid-October. The reason being that most programs state that the first round of interviews is going out somewhere around Oct 10-16, and so our applications will be re-downloaded sometime between Oct 1 (when the MSPEs go up) and Oct 11 (for example) when the final first wave is decided on. But after that, PDs might not re-download the complete app from ERAS again unless you notify them and give them a reason to do so.

However, if you are lucky and a strong applicant, you may already have many interviews by mid-Oct, so if you have a letter that is uploaded after that, you may only feel the need to send emails to the program coordinators at the places you are still really hoping to get interviews from, and not the lower interest ones that you may eventually withdraw from or turn down interviews at anyway.

TLDR: if in before Oct 1, definitely dont notify anyone. If getting to mid-Oct and later, notify whoever you still want to be considered for an interview by.

Hope this helps :)

Reactions: 4 users

So I got a 20, but there is NO WAY I should have got that as a score. You should have seen me. I chose to do it the day before my first audition rotation. Moved into student housing and the A/C broke. I decided to do it anyway and was sweating bullets the whole time while in my suit. I decided not to wear pants and also put cold packs under my legs, so that helped somewhat. On top of that, I couldn't think of a good response for my first question so I ended up stumbling through the entire question. It was hilarious. I agree though, total BS

I am getting mixed opinions on this so hopefully someone can clear it up. I am reading on several residency websites that an application isnt considered complete unless there are 3 LoRs and is not looked at if it isnt complete. Conversely, several others say they want 1 SLOE to invite, 2 to rank. Does this mean that they still want three letters total to invite? I only have 1 SLOE in with two SLOEs that wont be in until Oct 1st and in Nov 1st.

I am getting mixed opinions on this so hopefully someone can clear it up. I am reading on several residency websites that an application isnt considered complete unless there are 3 LoRs and is not looked at if it isnt complete. Conversely, several others say they want 1 SLOE to invite, 2 to rank. Does this mean that they still want three letters total to invite? I only have 1 SLOE in with two SLOEs that wont be in until Oct 1st and in Nov 1st.
I've got 2 letters (SLOEs) and an II.

I (briefly) skimmed the websites for all the programs on my list and I don't think I encountered anyone who specifically said they wouldn't look at your application until it was 100% complete with 3 letters. What programs have you seen this for?

For what it's worth, the EMRA residency directory has a field for "SLOES for Interview." These are the programs marked as "2":

Akron General Medical Center
Baystate Medical Center
Brown University
Case Western Reserve University/University Hospital Cleveland Medical Center
George Washington University
Grand Strand Medical Center
Hofstra Northwell School of Medicine at Staten Island University Hospital
Jacobi/Montefiore - Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Los Angeles County - Harbor-UCLA Medical Center
Maine Medical Center
Mayo Clinic School of Graduate Medical Education
McGaw Medical Center of Northwestern University
Medical College of Georgia at Augusta University
Merit Health Wesley
Michigan State University/Sparrow Hospital - Lansing
Mount Sinai School of Medicine - New York
Oregon Health and Science University
Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center / Olive View UCLA Medical Center
Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
Sinai-Grace Hospital
St Louis University School of Medicine
SUNY Downstate/Kings County Hospital
University of California Irvine Medical Center
University of Florida - Gainesville
University of Michigan
University of Virginia Health System
Wright State University
Wyckoff Heights Medical Center
Yale New Haven Medical Center

These are the programs marked as 1:

Aventura Hospital & Medical Center
Baylor College of Medicine
Crozer Chester Medical Center
Desert Regional Medical Center
Doctors Hospital-Ohio Health
Geisinger Medical Center
Georgetown University Hospital/Washington Hospital Center
Greenville Health System
Hennepin County Medical Center
Henry Ford Hospital
Indiana University School of Medicine
Johns Hopkins Hospital
Lakeland Health Emergency Medicine Residency Program
Lehigh Valley Health Network
Los Angeles County/University of Southern California Medical Center
Newark Beth Israel Medical Center
North Florida Regional
NYU/Bellevue Medical Center
Palmetto Health Richland
Reading Health System
Riverside Community Hospital / University of California Riverside
Rutgers New Jersey Medical School
Southeastern Health/CUSOM
Temple Emergency Medicine
TX A&M Scott & White Memorial Hospital
UC Davis Medical Center
University of California San Francisco - San Francisco General Hospital
University of Central Florida at Ocala
University of Kansas School of Medicine
University of Kentucky
University of Maryland
University of Massachusetts
University of Nevada Las Vegas
University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
Washington University St. Louis/Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Western Michigan University Homer Stryker MD School of Medicine
William Beaumont Hospital

That leaves 169 programs that didn't bother filling it out. And this might not be 100% accurate.

Reactions: 1 users
Can anyone tell me how to access the SVI score? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Can anyone tell me how to access the SVI score? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

You can't access it anywhere online, but it should have been emailed to you!

Here's what they say in one of the emails:

"Please contact the ERAS HelpDesk by email ([email protected]) or phone (202-862-6264) if you did not receive the first email that included your AAMC Standardized Video Interview unofficial score report as a PDF attachment. Also, please contact us if you are unable to open your score report."

I (briefly) skimmed the websites for all the programs on my list and I don't think I encountered anyone who specifically said they wouldn't look at your application until it was 100% complete with 3 letters. What programs have you seen this for?

For what it's worth, the EMRA residency directory has a field for "SLOES for Interview." These are the programs marked as "2":

These are the programs marked as 1:

That leaves 169 programs that didn't bother filling it out. And this might not be 100% accurate.

The EMRA directory talks about sloes for interview, but it doesnt say LoRs for interview. My question was if we needed a 2nd or 3rd non sloe letter for it to be considered for interview. Maricopa's page says they dont interview until its considered complete.

Just checked out the charting outcomes for EM 2016

The charts for Abstracts/Pubs, Work Experiences, Volunteer Experiences really surprised me
The subcategories with highest proportions of applicants were ones with 5 research, 5 work experience, and 10+ volunteer experiences.

Am I screwed here? My application had 1, 2, and 5-6 for these fields respectively. I was under the impression we shouldn't pad/overinflate the experiences section but damn, maybe I messed up?

The charts for Abstracts/Pubs, Work Experiences, Volunteer Experiences really surprised me
The subcategories with highest proportions of applicants were ones with 5 research, 5 work experience, and 10+ volunteer experiences.

Am I screwed here? My application had 1, 2, and 5-6 for these fields respectively. I was under the impression we shouldn't pad/overinflate the experiences section but damn, maybe I messed up?
No, people do pad their 'experiences' which is the reason the numbers are so high. Quality over quantity. Even then, only one interviewer on the entire trail cared about my research or volunteer experience.

You're not screwed! Don't worry about the mode (i.e. the most common response on the survey), look at the portion matched versus unmatched. The match rate for people with 1 research project is still good, 2 work experiences is still good, and 5-6 volunteer experiences is still good. More importantly, match rate doesn't seem to go up a whole lot across these numbers, which tells me that sheer number of extracurriculars is not a huge factor for PDs.

On the Program Director Survey, only 62% of EM PDs even cited volunteer/extracurricular activities as something they look at for granting interviews, and rated it a 3.7 out of 5 in importance. Research was 41% and 3.2. When it comes time to actually ranking an applicant, only 47% of PDs cited volunteer/extracurriculars (again 3.7), and 22% cited research (importance 3.5).

tl;dr: This one aspect of your application is very unlikely to sink you. Chin up.

One more/final question... Due to scheduling issues I had to push back a CS date that was originally going to be long done by now. I managed to get a date in November, but have been unable to log on in time when new dates become available to get anything sooner. How much will not having taken CS affect a pretty middle-of-the-pack/lower-end-of-the-pack applicant? Should I be camping out on the CS scheduling site to try to get an earlier date?

I only ask this because that Program Director Survey says 63% of programs responding use CS when considering applicant to interview. http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/NRMP-2016-Program-Director-Survey.pdf

One more/final question... Due to scheduling issues I had to push back a CS date that was originally going to be long done by now. I managed to get a date in November, but have been unable to log on in time when new dates become available to get anything sooner. How much will not having taken CS affect a pretty middle-of-the-pack/lower-end-of-the-pack applicant? Should I be camping out on the CS scheduling site to try to get an earlier date?

I only ask this because that Program Director Survey says 63% of programs responding use CS when considering applicant to interview. http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/NRMP-2016-Program-Director-Survey.pdf

Only 52% of EM PDs responding said that (page 31). Maybe they just mean they wouldn't consider someone with a fail on their record at that point in the game. Not sure, to be honest - Until you pointed out what the PD survey says, I've never heard anyone stress any importance of getting CS out of the way particularly early.

Only 52% of EM PDs responding said that (page 31). Maybe they just mean they wouldn't consider someone with a fail on their record at that point in the game. Not sure, to be honest - Until you pointed out what the PD survey says, I've never heard anyone stress any importance of getting CS out of the way particularly early.

Oh I meant the chart on page 34, but what you said is probably more applicable. Good to know!

EMApplicant18 kills me-- interviews at Carolinas, Cincinnati, UPenn, OHSU, and Northwestern in the first week. Are you Tintinalli's and Rosen's lovechild?

EMApplicant18 kills me-- interviews at Carolinas, Cincinnati, UPenn, OHSU, and Northwestern in the first week. Are you Tintinalli's and Rosen's lovechild?
Is that on the spreadsheet?

Is that on the spreadsheet?

I think @Jabbed hallucinated the part about OHSU, but the other ones are on the spreadsheet, yeah: Official 2017-2018 Emergency Medicine Application and Interview Sheet

I didn't feel strongly about updating the Interview Thread on SDN every time a new interview invite got added on the spreadsheet, but other people are welcome to do so if they want.

I think OHSU was supposed to be OSU because he/she (EMApplicant18) had put their name next to that one earlier this week and since removed it. The Northwestern one has disappeared too because that was the one where I asked if he/she rotated there because their website specifically says no interviews until after Oct. 1

I think OHSU was supposed to be OSU because he/she (EMApplicant18) had put their name next to that one earlier this week and since removed it. The Northwestern one has disappeared too because that was the one where I asked if he/she rotated there because their website specifically says no interviews until after Oct. 1
Yep mistook it for OSU.

No. Useless test, nobody cares about it as long as you don't fail. I took it December, did not matter.

Just giving a heads up to everyone about a DO program that is now ACGME accredited.

Arrowhead Regional Medical Center in Colton, CA.

They will be participating in only the MD match starting this cycle.

4647C519-AD66-4D54-B1F7-D42F3CDAE8C9.png
Hey guys, Current EM resident here. Found out about a new program that got late ERAS approval, but is accepting apps. Just wanted to let y’all know

How come I keep hearing about new programs but they have residents already?

I am a first year resident at the UCF Ocala residency in Central Florida, an hour from Orlando, Gainesville, Tampa, Daytona beach. I believe we might have the best "quality of life" for an EM residency in the country; my class has been extremely happy here. Our seven resident class hails from from Florida, Georgia, Virginia, New Jersey, and Wisconsin. Our PD helped create and was the last PD at UF Gainesville. I'm happy to answer any questions by PM about my program. From what I understand, we are filled with interviews at this time but a newer program can expect some interview turnover and all applications will be considered at that time (so people that send apps now will be considered)

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Anyone else antsy and bored?

Reactions: 3 users
This seems terrifying, how many other places are like this?

Per ERAS Calendar/Interview Broker:

Duke, Grand Strand, UT Nashville, Mississippi, and Carolinas still have open dates. Medical College of Georgia is full but has some waitlist spots.

Open dates doesn't necessarily mean they're still sending out interview invites, but I'm not counting anything out.