[2017-2018] Emergency Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know how updating your transcript to show Block 3 Grades/SLOEs work? Will the program automatically be notified that there is an update so they can download the latest version of your application or do you just have to hope that they go back and look? Just feeling slightly nervous as my Block 3 grade just came back and it went well but I don't know how to ensure programs will see it versus if they just look at my old application?

Members don't see this ad.

Guys.... what is this Interview Broker!? Is it something I have to set up to get interviews?

Reactions: 1 users
Guys.... what is this Interview Broker!? Is it something I have to set up to get interviews?

No when you get an interview they send you a link specialized to you so it knows who you are. You don't need to make an account or anything beforehand.

Members don't see this ad :)
How many interviews should I be sitting at by now, guys? I have four interview offers so far. And four other offers from my home school/away rotations (but those don't count per se, if you know what I mean).

And four other offers from my home school/away rotations (but those don't count per se, if you know what I mean).

Lol why do you say those don't count? Many people end up matching at home or away rotations.

How many interviews should I be sitting at by now, guys? I have four interview offers so far. And four other offers from my home school/away rotations (but those don't count per se, if you know what I mean).

There's no "supposed to" it's still incredibly early and over 50% of programs haven't invited anyone. If you have 0 interviews right now you're fine and you have 8? Calm down it will be fine.

Reactions: 6 users
Bummed I didn't get a Duke interview :/ Anyone know if they have already sent out most invites?

@tacos4life Nearly all of the Duke dates are still open - I think they've sent out relatively few invites so far. Keep the faith. (I'm responding to you in this thread because I know some people prefer to keep the Interview thread for posting new invitations only.)

No SVI talk? Apparently providing what I thought were good examples for the questions they asked and talking about them for 2-3 minutes gave me a score of 16...what a load of bull****. Interviews I've done before have gone great and I get this? I'm actually upset. No rubric, no grading scheme, just an arbitrary f-ing number grade

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Wouldn’t it be awesome if the SVI score wasn’t real. If it was basically an M Night Shyamalan style twist ending. All the scores were randomly handed out, and the real test was watching how people react to the randomness of the scores. Afterall, no specialty would be better for this experiment than EM where randomness dominates your workflow.

On another note, dont worry. Is perplexed as you are about your score, most of the programs are just as perplexed and dont know how the scores are assigned anyways. If an SVI score sinks anyones application this year, or on the otherhand, really helps a student, I’d be surprised.

Anyone know how updating your transcript to show Block 3 Grades/SLOEs work? Will the program automatically be notified that there is an update so they can download the latest version of your application or do you just have to hope that they go back and look? Just feeling slightly nervous as my Block 3 grade just came back and it went well but I don't know how to ensure programs will see it versus if they just look at my old application?

Curious about this too. Got SLOE #2 (Letter #3 overall) today and I wasn't sure if I need to let places know since this is kinda the gray area between MSPEs going up and the first round of interviews going out.

Curious about this too. Got SLOE #2 (Letter #3 overall) today and I wasn't sure if I need to let places know since this is kinda the gray area between MSPEs going up and the first round of interviews going out.

Programs can mark an application as incomplete if they want to go back. So if a program requires two sloes to interview for example, but you have one, they can flag your application to go back and check on later.

Reactions: 1 user

So I actually did update a handful of places when my second letter came in this week, and in a couple of the many responses the coordinators sent me (which I wasnt expecting at all, so very thoughtful and much appreciated) they made a comment like "we are keeping an eye out for all incoming additional assigned documents" or things to that affect, so it does seem like they have ways of keep tabs on your application if it seems at all incomplete :)

Programs can mark an application as incomplete if they want to go back. So if a program requires two sloes to interview for example, but you have one, they can flag your application to go back and check on later.

They can also filter for previously-reviewed applications with new documents. It's a common way for programs to set an application aside while waiting for board scores, an additional SLOE, etc. - it's also a good way as an applicant to get your application looked at again later if you haven't heard back from many programs...

Ladies, are dresses with a blazer okay or are we sticking to suit separates (pants/skirt)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ladies, are dresses with a blazer okay or are we sticking to suit separates (pants/skirt)?

I will be wearing a suit myself. I have both skirt and pants so I can change them out. I don’t own an appropriate dress for interviews.

Hmm do you know if dresses are acceptable or not?
I’m sure they are. I personally would stay far away from anything that could be construed as party/night on the town. I do know classmates (IM/peds) who are wearing a dress with blazer for some interviews.

I shy away from dressing up as much as possible so I’m probably not the best judge of clothing choice. LOL I’m a jeans & t-shirt kind of girl. So I went traditional.

I shy away from dressing up as much as possible so I’m probably not the best judge of clothing choice. LOL I’m a jeans & t-shirt kind of girl.

Same!! Just gonna fake being fancy for interview season.

Hmm do you know if dresses are acceptable or not?

I feel like yes as long as the dress is long enough! the trouble for me was finding one that didnt go halfway up my thighs every time I sat down. But now I have a pant-blazer and a dress-blazer set for interview season :)

For those of you not taking vacation months to interview, how does asking off for these things work? I feel like asking off for multiple days in a rotation may not go over well?

For those of you not taking vacation months to interview, how does asking off for these things work? I feel like asking off for multiple days in a rotation may not go over well?

Will you be on an audition rotation or just a core rotation?

Will you be on an audition rotation or just a core rotation?

Core. One of them is a two week rotation so I'm really trying not to schedule much during that one. Feel like it's bad form to ask for multiple days off when the rotation is ten days long.

Eh, I'm on a core as well and I just told my preceptor I won't be there for X days. He was cool with it. They understand that this is interview season, I would hope. Obviously you don't want to miss a large majority of the rotation, but if you can I would just schedule some after the rotation. From the research I have done it looks like it really doesn't matter if you have an early or later interview.

In the end though, you gotta do you in my opinion.

Only in medical school do you have to worry about asking permission to go on an interview when you are PAYING THEM to work for them, and the whole point of paying them is to prepare you to get a residency spot you are trying to interview for. What a messed up system!

Reactions: 13 users
Only in medical school do you have to worry about asking permission to go on an interview when you are PAYING THEM to work for them, and the whole point of paying them is to prepare you to get a residency spot you are trying to interview for. What a messed up system!

Literally laughed out loud...never thought of it this way!

Only in medical school will you get denied when asking permission to go on an interview when you are PAYING THEM to work for them, and the whole point of paying them is to prepare you to get a residency spot you are trying to interview for. What a messed up system!
Fixed that for you.

2nd half of 4th year makes no sense to me. No one expects anything of you and all you are thinking about all day long is the match. You're basically dropping $20k to have a place to be to wallow in your anxiety.

Reactions: 4 users
To: anyone who has gotten the UCLA/Olive View invite - are they sending out interview broker type invites or sending out only 2 dates at a time per applicant, like last year? I want to see how good/bad my chances are... :(

Thanks!

To: anyone who has gotten the UCLA/Olive View invite - are they sending out interview broker type invites or sending out only 2 dates at a time per applicant, like last year? I want to see how good/bad my chances are... :(

Thanks!

On interview broker. Every single date has >1 slot available :)

Anyone hear from Stanford? I heard they were sending out invites today, so wanted to see if people got invites

Yo why is the chat on that spreadsheet locked?

It was getting really toxic and vulgar in there. People cursing each other out, putting each other down, and just generally not behaving productively. It didn't seem like it was going to pull itself out of the nosedive, so I locked it down and deleted the raunchier material before it could get any worse. There's a comment about it at the top of the sheet directing applicants to post their legitimate questions and comments in this SDN thread, which has real moderators and is a generally better place for thoughtful discussion. Trolls are why we can't have nice things.

On the bright side, the spreadsheet has otherwise been a huge success and a great resource, so thanks to everyone who contributed positively!

It was getting really toxic and vulgar in there. People cursing each other out, putting each other down, and just generally not behaving productively. It didn't seem like it was going to pull itself out of the nosedive, so I locked it down and deleted the raunchier material before it could get any worse. There's a comment about it at the top of the sheet directing applicants to post their legitimate questions and comments in this SDN thread, which has real moderators and is a generally better place for thoughtful discussion. Trolls are why we can't have nice things.

On the bright side, the spreadsheet has otherwise been a huge success and a great resource, so thanks to everyone who contributed positively!

But now I cant watch the drama unfold... its ruined... surely you see that (pun intended)

Yeah...y'all can take that s*** right on back to reddit when it belongs.

Should we notify a program if we change our interview date on Interview Broker on the same day that we got the invitation? I just switched after a more desirable date opened up, and want to know what is appropriate correspondence haha.

Should we notify a program if we change our interview date on Interview Broker on the same day that we got the invitation? I just switched after a more desirable date opened up, and want to know what is appropriate correspondence haha.

Interview Broker notifies the program. It's only sh*tty if you do it last minute without giving them a heads up so that they can try to fill that interview spot. Also, try not to switch or cancel last minute unless absolutely necessary.

Hey guys, I have a question about eSLOE. One of my author has decided to update my letter through coderm/eSLOE website. He said the letter is electronically submitted to my ERAS ID and it's not done as an upload. Do you guys know anything about that? I've received no update letter from my end

Hey guys, I have a question about eSLOE. One of my author has decided to update my letter through coderm/eSLOE website. He said the letter is electronically submitted to my ERAS ID and it's not done as an upload. Do you guys know anything about that? I've received no update letter from my end

Sounds like the author is confused - The CORDEM website says that authors create the eSLOE on the CORDEM website but then "Save a PDF of a SLOE to upload to ERAS." https://www.cordem.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageID=3743

From their FAQ: https://www.cordem.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageID=3747

"Q. Does my SLOE automatically upload to the students ERAS file?
A. No, at this time we do not have access to automatically upload to ERAS. We do hope to add this functionality in the future.

Q. Is the SLOE automatically uploaded to ERAS once the SLOE is complete?
A. No, you must download the completed SLOE PDF and upload this to the students ERAS file. Instructions for uploading a Letter of Recommendation or SLOE are on the ERAS website."

Yeah, the cord website is strictly a means of generating a PDF, it doesn't upload to ERAS. And you can absolutely edit the eSLOE and generate a new PDF with the changes, I do it all the time. If anyone is wondering why CORD came up with the eSLOE if it still just generates a PDF in the end, I'll explain. In past years, some people were making edits in different editing programs, but the edits wouldn't show up when you uploaded the files to ERAS so SLOEs would look blank. Which was annoying to say the least. So CORD set up this site to fill out the SLOE electronically and generate a "Flattened copy" of a pdf that would ensure it would work right in ERAS. The other advantage is, it saves the data from year to year re: stats about how many candidates got which grade, which SLOE rank, etc.

So 7 invites total (1 from home, 1 from away that I did while rotating). Nothing in the last week. Nothing from programs in my region and, from the spreadsheet, they’ve already sent out at least 1 round of invites.
I know my stats are below average and didn’t apply to any reach programs, programs out west or in NE. The first 2 weeks, I got an invite every few days. Now, crickets.
Starting to get worried. I’ve double and triple checked my app to make sure it was complete. I applied to 53 programs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So 7 invites total (1 from home, 1 from away that I did while rotating). Nothing in the last week. Nothing from programs in my region and, from the spreadsheet, they’ve already sent out at least 1 round of invites.
I know my stats are below average and didn’t apply to any reach programs, programs out west or in NE. The first 2 weeks, I got an invite every few days. Now, crickets.
Starting to get worried. I’ve double and triple checked my app to make sure it was complete. I applied to 53 programs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't be worried! 7 is a good spot to be in. Among those who have logged at least one invite on the spreadsheet, the average is only 9.5 right now, and that includes all the applicants with 20+ invites, who are going to cancel them in droves. So despite having below average Step scores, your interview tally is only barely below average, and it's still pretty early, and interviews are still going out (lots of activity on the spreadsheet today). More interviews going out = More people cancelling things = More waitlist movement = more love all around. Per the NRMP PD survey, 68% of the invites go out by Nov 1, and we aren't there yet. Don't be worried.

Also from CORDEM:

"Do keep in mind that most programs match out between #40-100 on their rank list. As a result, middle 1/3 and lower 1/3 rank estimates should be viewed as competitive applicants who will likely match (Question C2b)."

I'm sincerely surprised by this.

7 invites with below average stats is amazing at this point.

Reactions: 2 users