2017-2018 Nephrology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NWMP

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Looks like there is no thread for Nephrology Fellowship for this year, not sure if that's because of last year's thread getting kind of out of hand or not :)

I'm applying to Nephrology this year after careful consideration of all the issue with Nephrology at this time.

Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

Looks like there is no thread for Nephrology Fellowship for this year, not sure if that's because of last year's thread getting kind of out of hand or not :)

I'm applying to Nephrology this year after careful consideration of all the issue with Nephrology at this time.

Good luck everyone!
thats because gutonc decided to let those interested in a thread make the thread.

Applying this year as well.
Interview invites from UF Gainsville, Henry Ford, UM/Jackson so far.
Anyone else?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,
I am interested in academic medicine here. So far, interview invites to Penn, Columbia, Yale, U of Washington and Northwestern. It would be great to share feedback from the different places. Really looking forward to this year!

Hello everyone,
I am interested in academic medicine here. So far, interview invites to Penn, Columbia, Yale, U of Washington and Northwestern. It would be great to share feedback from the different places. Really looking forward to this year!

Did you get all these interviews in the first week itself? Thanks

Did you get all these interviews in the first week itself? Thanks

Yea. Just recently also received Hopkins, Colorado, Cornell and UC San Diego. I am definitely attending all those. I heard from a few other places that I will be withdrawing from. Just waiting for a couple of other places to see if I get them. I am planning to attend about 10 interviews just to check the places out and compare.

Yea. Just recently also received Hopkins, Colorado, Cornell and UC San Diego. I am definitely attending all those. I heard from a few other places that I will be withdrawing from. Just waiting for a couple of other places to see if I get them. I am planning to attend about 10 interviews just to check the places out and compare.
Wow!!! This is really impressive "BrainBuff", have you also applied to UCSF, Mayo and Harvard? Do you have significant research experience as well? Also, for Denver, did you apply to research track or clinical track? But again, congratulations for all these amazing interviews!! Can't believe you have all these interviews while it is not yet August!!!

Wow!!! This is really impressive "BrainBuff", have you also applied to UCSF, Mayo and Harvard? Do you have significant research experience as well? Also, for Denver, did you apply to research track or clinical track? But again, congratulations for all these amazing interviews!! Can't believe you have all these interviews while it is not yet August!!!

Thanks! I applied to Clinical tracks or Clinical Educator tracks. I am more interested in going all the way to Transplant Nephrology. I was not really interested in Mayo nor the Cleveland Clinic. The two places I still would like to hear from are Harvard/Brigham and UCSF because I really would like to see what they have going over there. I am pretty much set on a program I think I like a lot, but one never knows!

Thanks! I applied to Clinical tracks or Clinical Educator tracks. I am more interested in going all the way to Transplant Nephrology. I was not really interested in Mayo nor the Cleveland Clinic. The two places I still would like to hear from are Harvard/Brigham and UCSF because I really would like to see what they have going over there. I am pretty much set on a program I think I like a lot, but one never knows!
Thanks "BrainBuff", I have also got good interviews but not as great/impressive as yours. But would love to get IVs from UPENN, U Wash, Yale, Colorado and Hopkins.
"BrainBuff", I don't want to be too nosy, but would you let me know like if you have research experience or if you have MD/PhD / AMG vs IMG? Thanks BrainBuff, my email address is: [email protected], congratulations again!!!

Hello everyone,

Congrats! That's awesome. I have received Yale, Cleveland Clinic, Duke, Boston University, Vandy. If you do not mind me asking when did you receive Northwestern? Did you hear back from Mt Sinai, NYU, University of Chicago, UNC or Beth Isreal Deaconess by any chance if you applied to any of those?

Congrats! That's awesome. I have received Yale, Cleveland Clinic, Duke, Boston University, Vandy. If you do not mind me asking when did you receive Northwestern? Did you hear back from Mt Sinai, NYU, University of Chicago, UNC or Beth Isreal Deaconess by any chance if you applied to any of those?

Sorry, I meant to write and waiting Northwestern on that post. For now, those are my top 5 choices. I share with you Mt Sinai, U Chicago and Beth Israel... and nothing yet. I did not apply to any of the others. Congrats to you as well! How many places are you planning to interview at? I am thinking 8-10 should be enough. Right?

Sorry, I meant to write and waiting Northwestern on that post. For now, those are my top 5 choices. I share with you Mt Sinai, U Chicago and Beth Israel... and nothing yet. I did not apply to any of the others. Congrats to you as well! How many places are you planning to interview at? I am thinking 8-10 should be enough. Right?

Yeah agree planning to do around 8 which is enough I have heard from others. If you do not mind let me now if/when you hear from Mt Sinai, U Chicago and Beth Israel? I will let you know as well if I do. When did you hear from Hopkins? I have not heard from them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah agree planning to do around 8 which is enough I have heard from others. If you do not mind let me now if/when you hear from Mt Sinai, U Chicago and Beth Israel? I will let you know as well if I do. When did you hear from Hopkins? I have not heard from them.

Sounds good. I heard from Hopkins about two weeks ago. I will keep u posted on the other ones. Good luck to all!

Heard from U Chicago, Beth Israel and Harvard. Good luck!

Heard from U Chicago yesterday and U Pittsburg

Great! Good luck guys! Looking forward to sharing first impressions during next few months..

Hey guys, Mt Sinai invites are out..:)

Reactions: 1 users
  1. George Washington University
  2. University of California in San Diego
  3. UT Southwestern Dallas
  4. Tufts University

Last edited:
Mount Sinai today!

Hello everyone !! Good to know that there are still people interested in Nephrology! Clearly we are all here to fulfil our passion to do nephrology ! Good to know that the season is going good for all of us! Good luck!

Heard from UCSD and Yale today.... waiting to hear from Northwestern, UPENN and UCSF

Beth Israel Deaconess (BIDMC) today

UCSF today.. Still waiting on Northwestern.

Stanford and OHSU-Portland

and finally Northwestern! Good luck with the interviews guys.. Looking forward to the next couple of months and to exchange info about first impressions and our visits!

How many interviews are you guys planning to attend? Is it safe to go to 8 programs.

Hey Buds,I wish for all of you great season.You should be careful about malignant and brutal programs that you should avoid.Some programs like Jackson,very busy brutal program have a high fellow escape rate.
St Louis university is very malignant program with attitude toward fellows and they lie on fellows during interview by advertising their program as interventional while no fellows will learn any procedures during fellowship.Program faculty are mediocre and have attitude.They spy on fellows and do crazy things.The program director and chief hate fellows and take advantages on them.Discrimination based on gender as they like women with very long history of affairs inside the program one of the most corrupted program.
University of Louisville; program has been empty for many years and many fellows had difficulty to stay.Advertised as interventional but many fellows reported that they could not get any chance for learning procedures.
Wish for all of you the best...

Invites so far (only applied CA/AZ/TX/SC/FL)
1. MUSC
2. Univ Arizona
3. UC Irvine
4. USC/Keck
5. USF/Tampa
6. Houston Methodist
7. Univ Miami/Jackson Memorial
8. Cleveland Clinic FL

Last edited:
How many interviews are you guys planning to attend? Is it safe to go to 8 programs.

I am continuing to clean up the list. I am cutting it down to 8. Starting interviews this week!

Ask programs to pay for your relocation cost and rank only if they agree...it's nephrology...anything is possible

We'e received several complaints over the last 24 hours from a user who feels that the commentsregarding the number of programs to apply toconstitutes trolling.

This information is EASILY obtainable; there is no reason to take the word (or not) of another user. The NRMP produces that information.

For fellowships, including Nephrology, the latest data:http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Results-and-Data-SMS-2017.pdf

There were 165 programs last year, 70 filled, 95 did not. There were 183 positions open after the match for 2017. A total of 308 applicants; 24 went unmatched (Page 55).

Charting the Outcomes is the best source of information; from the 2011 guide (more recent ones exist but need to be purchased): if you rank 3 programs as a US grad, your chances of matching are greater than 90%.

I heard a funny story the other day. Last year some applicant applied to 2-3 programs but did not match. The program he/she ranked #1 didn't fill. That person ended up scrambling into the program they had previously ranked #1. So, even if they don't want you, you'll still probably get your #1 choice.

I heard a funny story the other day. Last year some applicant applied to 2-3 programs but did not match. The program he/she ranked #1 didn't fill. That person ended up scrambling into the program they had previously ranked #1. So, even if they don't want you, you'll still probably get your #1 choice.

U prolly never have to apply for nephrology. wait till match results and apply to the best program of the lot where there is openings and as well try to avoid being the only nephro fellow in a 5 position program and get stuck with NRMP violation if you dont wanna proceed. NRMP should probably introduce a clause to their rank algorithm where applicants can say that they should match in number 1, only if >50% or >75% spots are getting filled. Atleast in specialities like nephro, ID

There was a hospitalist in my program who was trying to get into cardiology last year. Unfortunately despite 5 interviews he didn't match. Somehow 2 or 3 nephrology fellowship programs figured out that he hadn't matched in cardiology and cold call e-mailed him asking if he would be interested in joining a nephrology fellowship. He didn't take the bait. So you don't actually need to apply to nephrology to get offered a nephrology position.
Desperate programs will soon take IMGs without residency as nephrology fellows. My program started doing Skype interviews and still they went completely unmatched. Getting non residency trained physicians might be the only realistic way of filling fellow positions.Unmatched IMGs with bad scores will be trying to get nephrology fellowship and get residency afterwards. If they do well in IM later they will just dump nephrology and go on to the more competitive specialities like GI / Cards.
My program also advertised itself as interventional but it was a complete waste of time. We had an interventional nephrology attending but she spent all her time doing rather scarce thrombectomies and fistulograms in her nice interventional nephrology suite. She should have spent some time in the trenches (hospitals)with us fellows teaching us how to place catheters or to do biopsies.
None of the other nephrology attendings knew how to place a dialysis catheter with or without ultrasound. And since they didn't know neither did we the fellows. We would request ICU or surgery to place our catheters and those attendings weren't going to supervise the nephrology fellows when they could supervise their own residents and fellows.

Last edited:
How are the interviews going guys? Just a few left in the next couple of weeks for me. Hope we can start sharing first impressions soon! Really excited about the programs I have visited. Hope things are going well for you all!

Additionally... how would you all rank these programs:

Duke, UT-Southwestern, Baylor-Houston, MGH/BWH, UF-Gainsville, UM/Jackson, USF-Tampa, Cleveland Clinic-Florida, Univ of Chicago???

anyone know anything about UM/Jackson program ... ???

Additionally... how would you all rank these programs:

Duke, UT-Southwestern, Baylor-Houston, MGH/BWH, UF-Gainsville, UM/Jackson, USF-Tampa, Cleveland Clinic-Florida, Univ of Chicago???

I have heard UM/Jackson is kinda of malignant: overworked fellows, etc. I did not apply there but if you interview, definitely reach out to the fellows.
As far as ranking the programs, I am personally looking at the overall "culture", the opportunities for future employment in the area, the city and what it has to offer. What are you looking for in those programs?

Not a nephrology applicant but interesting tidbit:

while interviewing at SUNY Downstate in NYC for another specialty, I learned that the ICU fellows there can do an IR elective for up to 3 months. Although primarily they do chest tubes and the such, one of their ICU fellows said he was certified on tunneled HD catheters for long term use. Further he was asked if he wanted to learn other procedures. I can only imagine if they would teach fistulograms or thrombectomies.

Anyway apparently their renal program has been empty of fellows for a bit now.