2017-2018 Touro University - California Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys! Interviewing 4/23, and was just wondering if anyone knew the best way to get to the school? I'm guessing I should fly into Oakland and find my way from there? Did you guys just uber from the airport or is there a better way to get there? Thanks for the help!
I flew into Oakland International Airport and rented a car. It seemed cheaper than getting an Uber or Lyft ride. The drive on I-80 was ~50 minutes, and there's a $5 toll.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys! Interviewing 4/23, and was just wondering if anyone knew the best way to get to the school? I'm guessing I should fly into Oakland and find my way from there? Did you guys just uber from the airport or is there a better way to get there? Thanks for the help!

I flew into Oakland and used uber. Uber was the better option for me because I didn't have to worry about the roads or the car. It was my personal preference, so it's up to you. I hope you enjoy your interview day!

Flew into SFO and rented a car. Stayed in an amazing Airbnb in Vallejo, right across from mare island.

Members don't see this ad :)

If you are going directly from the airport to the school I would suggest either renting a car or taking an Uber/Lyft. I personally prefer renting a car because if you have some time after the interview you could drive around and explore a bit.

TRAIN
If you want to experience the major mass transit system and probably save on cost you could take Uber/Lyft to and from the BART station in Richmond.

Station List | bart.gov

BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) is the major mass transit train system connecting both OAK and SFO airports to SF and the East Bay. Unfortunately, it does not connect with the North Bay or Vallejo so you would have to Uber/Lyft from Richmond Station which is what I think is the closest station to the school (still about 20 miles).

FERRY
The only other connection I can think of is the water ferry system.

Route | San Francisco Bay Ferry

The Vallejo Ferry Terminal is located about 4 miles away from Touro so still requires an Uber/Lyft or a long walk.
Embarcadero BART station is adjacent to the SF Ferry Building so technically you could get from either airport to the Vallejo Ferry Terminal and back by connecting BART and the ferry. This would take some schedule coordinating and is probably better suited for post-interview and not for getting to the interview. But it might be worth it if you are up for a little adventure after your interview. The views of the San Francisco skyline from the ferry would be cool to see.

Does anyone know the chances of acceptance from high alternate list?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I flew into SFO and took the Evans shuttle ($40) to courtyard marriot (right next to six flags). I then UBER-ed to campus from there which cost me about $15. They extended check out till 3pm so I came back to the hotel and then took the shuttle back to the airport.

1. It's a combination of both. The curriculum is mainly systems based, but we do have some aspects of problem based learning. This semester we're learning about cardio, resp, and renal but we have some labs in which we're given patient problems that we have to address and discuss among a group.

2. It's not necessary, but it would make things a lot more convenient. That or you should try to find housemates who have cars. A number of classmates and I go to local grocery stores together on a weekly basis.

3. There are lots of students who do research on campus. You have a faculty mentor and that's an easy way to ask about research opportunities that they or other faculty members they know may be doing!

Thank you so much for your input! I was wondering if you or any other students have input about the quality of rotation sites and the lottery system. How likely is it to be placed in a SoCal site?

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know the chances of acceptance from high alternate list?
I have heard that the chances of getting off the high alternate list are great. Two students I spoke to on interview day were high alternates and were accepted (albeit during June & July) but we still accepted!

I have heard that the chances of getting off the high alternate list are great. Two students I spoke to on interview day were high alternates and were accepted (albeit during June & July) but we still accepted!
This is the most reassuring thing I have heard in weeks Im on the high alternate list currently and I'll take any shred of hope I can get lmao

Does anyone out there know if there's an accepted students/prospective students page for TUCOM, perhaps on Facebook? I've been looking around and can't seem find all that much in terms of support. Like this post if you think I should set one up!! Also, can someone explain to me why is this forum so short as compared to every other allopathic/osteopathic forum on this site.

Does anyone out there know if there's an accepted students/prospective students page for TUCOM, perhaps on Facebook? I've been looking around and can't seem find all that much in terms of support. Like this post if you think I should set one up!! Also, can someone explain to me why is this forum so short as compared to every other allopathic/osteopathic forum on this site.

There's a public Facebook page. You can find it if you search for TUCOM-CA 2022 under the groups tab.

my best guess to your second question is that its either because they are being extremely selective on who they interview this year, or it has to do with the fact that this is the hardest DO school to get into GPA and MCAT wise, so maybe they're getting less applicants than previous years

Any current student have a match list for this year's graduating class? I saw a couple of students on the Touro FB page with their matches and I was really impressed. I think one matched at CHLA for peds and the other for Pritzker for Peds as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what the classes are like here? Pass/fail or mandatory attendance?

Does anyone know what the classes are like here? Pass/fail or mandatory attendance?
Based on information I was told, lectures are recorded and can be viewed at home, but lab attendance is mandatory. Based on information I've seen online, classes are graded and not pass/fail. If anyone has more details or a better response, that would be highly appreciated!

Withdrawing my acceptance from Touro California......

Last edited:
Interviewing here in 2 weeks.

Will be withdrawing my acceptance from TUCCOM. Goodluck to those on the waitlist.

Does anyone know if they have an average step score here? Or do most not take it so they may not have an avg?

Does anyone know if they have an average step score here? Or do most not take it so they may not have an avg?
Also, a copy of the match list? And if any current students have any feedback on their rotations? Thanks in advance.

I think they said most people are taking it at this point. During my Interview I think I remember them saying 110/135 took it.

Waitlisted (medium level) today after interviewing Monday.

I think they said most people are taking it at this point. During my Interview I think I remember them saying 110/135 took it.

Waitlisted (medium level) today after interviewing Monday.
Did they say anything about average scores?

Anyone get their financial letter? They told me I’d get mine this week and I really need it before deciding to pay this next deposit

Anyone get their financial letter? They told me I’d get mine this week and I really need it before deciding to pay this next deposit
I haven't received my financial letter yet either

I paid 2k in October or whatever, but I suppose by tomorrow I have to drop another 1K. I am still on WLs for two other schools so I unfortunately don't know what the heck I'm doing, but I wanted to make sure I'm not crazy that this is total a 3K deposit..

I think we get this $1k deposit back if we withdraw ?

My friend got an email after he withdrew his acceptance that says "If you paid the second (tuition) deposit of $1,000.00, and if your withdrawal occurred prior to the first day of mandatory orientation, the deposit amount will be refunded within the next 30 days. As a reminder, the Acceptance Deposit is not refundable."

My friend got an email after he withdrew his acceptance that says "If you paid the second (tuition) deposit of $1,000.00, and if your withdrawal occurred prior to the first day of mandatory orientation, the deposit amount will be refunded within the next 30 days. As a reminder, the Acceptance Deposit is not refundable."
That's great news. Thank you all! Though, I may still go here lol.

accepted 5/18! goodluck to you all :happy:

Reactions: 3 users

Average step score for the 2017 takers was 225, with ~70% of the class taking it. Average COMLEX was slightly above average.

Is any female student looking for an apartmentmate or housemate for a place near school? PM me please

Last edited:
Touro-Ca is now Pass/Fail starting this fall, if that impacts decisions to attend here

Received word that Touro-Ca is not actaully P/F as previously mentioned. They are still working on changing it and hope to implement it 2019-2020 school year. Email announcing the grading change was sent early by mistake.