2017-2018 University of New Mexico

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-allo mods (WedgeDawg, Ismet, Lucca, or gyngyn) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Is there anyone applying to this school? I was tempted to but based on last year secondary, the essays are lengthy

Yes!

Are you from NM? Do you have strong ties? Are you from a federally recognized tribe? Or are you part of one of the WICHE states? Those are the criteria they use for sending secondaries on top of GPA and MCAT minimums.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Nope! No ties at all

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes!

Are you from NM? Do you have strong ties? Are you from a federally recognized tribe? Or are you part of one of the WICHE states? Those are the criteria they use for sending secondaries on top of GPA and MCAT minimums.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Have you gotten a secondary yet?

Hi! How is the application process going for everyone? This thread is quiet this year!

Last edited:
I got my II today 9/22

Reactions: 1 user
Could someone please post the essay questions?

At the UNM School of Medicine we are committed to building a dynamic, productive and positive learning environment in addition to promoting cross cultural and cross racial understanding among students of diverse talents, experiences, opinions and backgrounds. Share any unique or challenging factors in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, culture, race, ethnicity and life and work experiences. What would you as an individual bring to our medical community? (2000 characters)

There are multiple paths that lead to medical school and many obstacles along the way. Please describe the unique path that has led you to medicine as well as any obstacles or adversity that you had to overcome in achieving this goal. How will this experience affect your career as a physician? (2000 characters)

While providing healthcare as a physician is often a rewarding career, it is also a profession that entails addressing constant challenges. What do you see as the most significant issues the medical profession will face in the next 20 years, and what are some potential solutions for these problems? (2000 characters)

Part of the goal of the UNM School of Medicine is to address the healthcare disparities that face New Mexico. Once you become a physician, how do you foresee yourself helping to address the healthcare challenges that affect communities in the State of New Mexico? (2000 characters)
Could someone please post the essay questions?

When I looked at the interview calendar, they only offered two dates, in the same week. Mine was for an early October date. Good luck!

Hey guys! How long after sending in your verified primary AMCAS application did you receive your II? Also - hope your interviews went well! @VillageSweetie @RufDoc

Members don't see this ad :)
It was a while. Like maybe 2 months? It took like a day to get an interview invite after the secondary, though. So that was really nice.

Hey guys! How long after sending in your verified primary AMCAS application did you receive your II? Also - hope your interviews went well! @VillageSweetie @RufDoc

Thank you! I had the same experience as RufDoc. It took over a month to receive the secondary application, but once I submitted my secondary, an interview invite was with-in a day. I think they thoroughly screen primary applications.

Good luck!

Cool to hear from you both so quickly! I just sent in my primary and it got verified this past Tuesday. I was hoping for a quick turn around but I guess not haha. Were the interviews fun? Did they inform you guys the amount of class size available or the amount of EDP applicants accepted? I read from last year's thread that the PREP program was discontinued so theres an extra 7 spots at least!

Cool to hear from you both so quickly! I just sent in my primary and it got verified this past Tuesday. I was hoping for a quick turn around but I guess not haha. Were the interviews fun? Did they inform you guys the amount of class size available or the amount of EDP applicants accepted? I read from last year's thread that the PREP program was discontinued so theres an extra 7 spots at least!
I haven't gone to my interview, yet. Have you gone already, Village?

I haven't gone to my interview, yet. Have you gone already, Village?

Yes. I really liked the school and the interview day. One group of interviewees started in the morning (around 7:15) and the other group started at lunch. The day consisted of two one-on-one interviews, presentations with the assistant deans, and lunch (as well as a walking tour) with current medical students.

I felt like all of my questions were answered. I really like this school!

The class size is around 100. I am not sure how many EDP they accept.

One of my interviews was with a current medical student and the other was with an attending. Each Interview ranged from 45 minutes to an hour, based on the group I was with.

I hope this helps!

I interviewed with UNM last week. I'm OOS and was shocked to receive an II. It's an impressive program. I loved it. I'm anxious to hear back, but it likely won't be until March.

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone who has interviewed received a decision yet?

Interviewed in mid-October. I haven't heard anything.
I am on application round two this year but I interviewed with UNM last year in January. They sent out an email in February when their interview season closed saying that they would send out final decisions no later than May 15. I got my rejection email May 14. I am not sure what order they send out decisions, whether they do waves, or what. Just thought I'd tag on here what I know.

Last year I recall getting my secondary within a few days of AMCAS verification but obviously that is not the case this year (I'm currently at 3 weeks waiting for my secondary).

Last edited:
I applied Early Decision, unfortunately wasn't accepted, but they threw my application into the general application cycle. I haven't heard anything since.

@ddh228 dang sorry to hear that. Atleast there is still hope.

@TMNunn I think you should have received the secondary by now since I was in the same boat as you last week!

Does anyone know what interview dates are currently available? Also is there rolling admissions at UNM or it doesn't necessarily matter when you interview?

They do some rolling admissions but most applicants don’t hear back until March. I’ve spoken to unms admissions office multiple times and they’ve always said the time at which you apply makes no difference whatsoever. I have a friend who didn’t interview till February last cycle and was accepted so I honestly believe applying early here doesn’t make a difference.

I wonder if anyone has been rolling admitted or rejected. I interviewed mid October and haven’t heard anything either.

Reactions: 2 users
Ah okay gotcha, thank you for the info! I am hoping that late November, early December is available for interviews. But since that time frame is pretty close maybe that won't be possible. Were you able to sign up for an interview close to when you were offered one @ilekaj?

Ah okay gotcha, thank you for the info! I am hoping that late November, early December is available for interviews. But since that time frame is pretty close maybe that won't be possible. Were you able to sign up for an interview close to when you were offered one @ilekaj?
So I received the ii on 10/6 and I actually interviewed 10/16 but this was because since I am a reapplicant I had the option to simply schedule my interviews without having to attend the full day for the other things. Before I called them to schedule my interviews I did look on the portal for full day interview availability and the earliest I saw was around Nov 4th I believe. Last time I applied I received my ii on December 17 and the earliest I was able to schedule was February 5th. I can’t say what the availability looks like now but I’m thinking probably around a month forward from when you receive an ii.

I interviewed 9/18 and haven't heard anything yet. They said the majority of decisions roll out from the end of October until March.

Hello Everyone,

I am a first year medical student at UNM. If you have question about the process of application or what it is like to go to school at UNM I would be more than happy to answer any questions. I wish everyone the best of luck with applications and interviews!

Disclaimer:
I have nothing to do with admissions, and I know nothing from the admissions office. I have been through the process, and I live that med school life everyday.

Ho everyone so I called and was told the committee has yet to review October interviewees. They believe they will review them before the year ends. Basically if you interviewed in October or later there is still a chance you may hear before March.

Lurker and occasional poster here, although if I am being quite honest I rarely go on SDN because I am busy with school and some of these threads just increase my anxiety! With that being said, I applied to UNM and initially didn't receive a secondary although I am a NM resident (lived in NM since 4 years old and left for college, but still have license etc.). They said it was because my prerequisites didn't align with their's but after some back and forth they finally granted me the secondary application after I filled a prerequisite waiver that they then processed and reviewed. By this time it was mid-October and I was a bit frustrated that I was sending my secondary in so late. I sent it within the week and a few weeks later they asked for residency verification. Not sure if anyone else has had this experience but the constant delays were frustrating, considering many were already interviewed and spots were being taken! Once they had the residency verification I got an interview invite and only had 2 options at the very beginning of January. I scheduled it for the 4th, so obviously it is coming up soon. Sorry for the long post but any help would be greatly appreciated! This thread looks pretty barren compared to prior years though.

About me: 3.5 uGPA, 504 MCAT, URM, native spanish speaker, first generation American

BTW: I am currently attending Tulane and will receive my Master's this May. I decided that during my gap year it would be best to further my education and this program has given me the ability to apply scientific knowledge in a more clinical setting, and this is exactly what I was looking for! Again sorry for the sea of words lol, guess this has just been a summary/current life post :)

What help do you need exactly? Second year student here.

They do some rolling admissions but most applicants don’t hear back until March. I’ve spoken to unms admissions office multiple times and they’ve always said the time at which you apply makes no difference whatsoever. I have a friend who didn’t interview till February last cycle and was accepted so I honestly believe applying early here doesn’t make a difference.

When I applied, I submitted errything (primary and secondary essays) on the deadline dates, interviewed in December, and got accepted in January. Submitting earlier (this includes EDPs) doesn't mean you have more chances of getting in than others. You have more chance of getting in by having a solid application. If you have a very strong application (high GPAs [overall and science], high MCAT score, phenomenal personal statement, outstanding clinical experience, kickass LORs, etc.), you'd get in. Rolling admission means an applicant can get in as soon as 3-4 weeks after interview, or as late as a couple of weeks before class starts (especially if on waiting list). After the interview, your interviewers give you points without knowing your MCAT/GPA. In their meeting, they'll then tell the other committee members about you (read: advocate for/against you) and the members will then read your application and give you points as well. All parts of your application will also get points (quality/quantity of your clinical experiences, personal statement, GPA, MCAT, LORs, etc.). If you're above certain points, you'd get in right away. If you're below certain points, you'd get rejected right away. If you haven't been rejected yet, you're still in the game.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi everyone, I have a quick question. Someone I know was informed from a reputable source that there were around 25 spots left for this year. This figure was a little confusing to me, because during my interview I was told that they only take in a small number on a rolling basis, and the majority would hear back on March 15. Even if you subtract BA/MD, if there are only 25 spots left then that means the majority of students are being accepted on a rolling basis.

So my question is, what do they mean by 25 spots left? Does that means that all but 26 spots are filled with students who have officially committed to UNM? If so, does that mean that they are accepting many more students on a rolling basis this time around?

Hi everyone, I have a quick question. Someone I know was informed from a reputable source that there were around 25 spots left for this year. This figure was a little confusing to me, because during my interview I was told that they only take in a small number on a rolling basis, and the majority would hear back on March 15. Even if you subtract BA/MD, if there are only 25 spots left then that means the majority of students are being accepted on a rolling basis.

So my question is, what do they mean by 25 spots left? Does that means that all but 26 spots are filled with students who have officially committed to UNM? If so, does that mean that they are accepting many more students on a rolling basis this time around?

Don't know if it's a faux pas to reply to one's own post but oh well. If anyone is curious, I learned that when they say they have X number of spots left, that means offers, not acceptances. Also I just got accepted on rolling admissions. Yahoo! If anyone has any questions about all that stuff, fire away.

Don't know if it's a faux pas to reply to one's own post but oh well. If anyone is curious, I learned that when they say they have X number of spots left, that means offers, not acceptances. Also I just got accepted on rolling admissions. Yahoo! If anyone has any questions about all that stuff, fire away.
Hey congrats on the acceptance. What do you mean exactly when you say number of offers, like interview offers to give out? Also when did you interview?

I know its different for everyone but I applied right in June, got my secondary in early August, didn't get my interview until mid November and got rolling accepted in early January! I was shocked I got rolling accepted I heard UNM does not usually give out too many of those but I remember hearing in my interview that an applicant can hear something by early January and if not then it will most likely be in March.

Hey congrats on the acceptance. What do you mean exactly when you say number of offers, like interview offers to give out? Also when did you interview?
Thanks for the congrats.

Sorry, what I meant was that when they say they only have X number of spots left, they can sometimes be basing that number off of the admissions offers, not accounting for people who don't accept the admissions offers. And I interviewed in November.

I interviewed 1/8/18 and was told there were only 25 spots left, not including the 20+ waitlist spots. I'm considered OOS with strong ties. Finishing undergrad in Miami.

I interviewed 1/8/18 and was told there were only 25 spots left, not including the 20+ waitlist spots. I'm considered OOS with strong ties. Finishing undergrad in Miami.
wow only 25, that is very discouraging

Interviewed in early January and received a rolling acceptance admission today!

Interviewed in early January and received a rolling acceptance admission today!
Congrats on the acceptance. I haven’t heard of anyone being rolling rejected. I wonder if they’re only handing out rolling acceptances this cycle.

Congrats on the acceptance. I haven’t heard of anyone being rolling rejected. I wonder if they’re only handing out rolling acceptances this cycle.
I got rejected via email yesterday 10:45 am. interviewed 1/8/18

I got rejected via email yesterday 10:45 am. interviewed 1/8/18
Oh no I’m sorry to hear that, and thanks for sharing. I think you’re the first person to post here concerning a rejection but now I’m sure they have continued to happen throughout the cycle.

Hi!

MSII here. I completely remember being in your shoes not too long ago, and I’m more than happy to answer any questions anyone might have about the school or my thoughts/understanding of admissions. I’ll also point out that I don’t have ANY insider information or influence and have nothing to do with admissions.

Good luck everyone! Rest assured that waiting to hear back from schools is literally the worst part of medical school but you’ll get through it!

Pre decision email received. We should know by Friday. Good luck to everyone.

Pre decision email received. We should know by Friday. Good luck to everyone.
yes, now more anxious than ever. Good luck to you and everyone else as well.

I’m on the Alternate List. But the UNM SOM portal says that they won’t be accepting any more people off the alternate list? Anyone else seeing that? I wonder if that is just a leftover from last year, or is that accurate?

I’m on the Alternate List. But the UNM SOM portal says that they won’t be accepting any more people off the alternate list? Anyone else seeing that? I wonder if that is just a leftover from last year, or is that accurate?
I was placed on the alternate list as well, and saw the same message. I hope it is from last year, and is a mistake.