2017-2018 University of New Mexico

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was placed on the alternate list as well, and saw the same message. I hope it is from last year, and is a mistake.
Have you heard of anyone else that is in the same boat?

Members don't see this ad.

Have you heard of anyone else that is in the same boat?
I haven't. I hope it is just a mistake! I also just realized that the address listed on my application is different from where I currently live haha. Gotta find a way to find that letter!

Reactions: 1 user
I was placed on the alternate as well and the same message on the portal as you two as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Doesn't make much sense that an alternate list that was just made would have 0 movement does it? I mean what if some admission offers were declined by some? Unless they rolling admitted and received deposits from all of their spots already so had no need to wait until March 15th. The "what if" game is great right? I was really hoping I would be done playing by today.

Sorry to hear that Bluegorilla, it does add to the mystery though. Why alternate some of us and reject others? Doesn't make much sense, if there wasn't any alternate list movement then why not just reject us all?

Reactions: 1 users
I was placed on the alternate as well and the same message on the portal as you two as well.
There are 55 students on the Facebook page, so I do not think all the rolling admissions students have accepted the offer, otherwise, the group would be full by now.

There is a new alternate tab message, thankfully. Good luck all my fellow alternates!

Reactions: 2 users
Waitlist

Just waiting on my position to come in the mail

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone received their letter? looks like the alternate list has moved to #10... Has anyone received a call or email of acceptance yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone received their letter? looks like the alternate list has moved to #10... Has anyone received a call or email of acceptance yet?
Hello, first post on SDN, I received an email of acceptance on Friday but haven't received anything in the mail yet.

Reactions: 3 users
When I applied I don’t think I got an acceptance letter in the mail until like 3-4 weeks after I got my email. I was accepted in January so it may have moved slower but I wouldn’t worry if you haven’t gotten a physical letter or expect one in a timely fashion.

Congrats to all those accepted!

Hey everyone, I got my alternate list rank in the mail today! Good luck to everyone!

Does anyone have a recent residency match list?

Does anyone have a recent residency match list?

It’s posted around campus and I haven’t seen it yet, but we did get an email today that just broke down how many went into each specialty. It was 43% in primary care, and quite a few into a number of very competitive specialties (including 4 ortho, 2 ENT, 1 optho, 1 rads/onc).

Thought I would share this link in case anyone is interested. It shows the average Step 1 and Step 2 scores for all schools, including UNM.

So regarding the above post: for anyone that’s maybe debating their UNM acceptance or future application based on our average step scores, I would say- don’t worry about that too much.

Yes, UNM has well below average step 1 scores, and yes I understand that being concerning. I’m not totally sure why it is that way either (we take step really early and our average MCAT is also low which probably play a role).

That being said, and I say this recognizing that I obviously don’t know first hand what it’s like to go to any other medical school, I really think the biggest deciding factor in your step score is you, not your school. I knew step 1 was really important and put a strong emphasis on that for myself from day 1, and I worked REALLY hard during my dedicated studying period, and I ended up with a score that is well above the average for any school in the country (as did several people I know).

I remember being a premed and really worrying that UNM would be a problem for me given that they don’t match a ton of people into competitive specialties usually or have high average board scores. Now that I’m a bit farther along I really genuinely believe that this is all more reflective of individual students than it is of the school. You can make high scores happen if you put your mind to it (and you’ll have to whether you’re at UNM or Harvard), and the school has been really supportive of trying to help me set myself up as a competitive applicant for a competitive specialty in a couple years. So really, I wouldn’t base your decision on where to attend on factors that are likely more tied to you as an individual than they are the school you go to.

Sorry for the long post, but I know when I was in your shoes the post above this would have really messed with my head and I this is all the stuff I wish someone would have told me.

Feel free to reply or PM me with any questions, and I’m really looking forward to meeting all of those accepted at Second Look day!

Anyone else on the waitlist see that the alternate tab now says that no alternates have been accepted, after saying 10 had been accepted before?

@Ttubule, thanks for your response about the Step 1 scores. I was honestly a bit concerned about them, so it is helpful to hear from someone who is further along and more informed about the process.

@ddh228, I actually called the admissions office today and they told me that the message that 10 people had been accepted off the alternate list was put up by mistake. In reality, no one has been taken off the alternate list yet.

UNM alumni and practicing physician here. I just heard that one of the students I had shadow me got in off the wait-list. There appears to be movement and dare I say hope this late in the cycle. Does anyone know what spot they are up to?

UNM alumni and practicing physician here. I just heard that one of the students I had shadow me got in off the wait-list. There appears to be movement and dare I say hope this late in the cycle. Does anyone know what spot they are up to?
Currently at 34! Lots of movement this year.