2017 ABA ITE Results

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by MaximusD, Mar 27, 2017.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. MaximusD

MaximusD Anatomically Incorrect 10+ Year Member

Anyone get their results yet?

I'm guessing end of this week or beginning of next...

Anyone have any intel otherwise?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. MaximusD

100 views and no responses = big fat "No!"

4. mikey014

mikey014 nervous... 7+ Year Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Our coordinator said by the end of first week of April

5. Koan

Koan ASA Member 7+ Year Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Looking forward to hearing. Our program reimburses Basic exam registration if we exceed 70th %ile. Would be nice to have $775 extra dollars...

6. Shinkansen

Shinkansen 2+ Year Member

Jan 4, 2014
    Heard a rumor from my attending that our scores came in last week. Dunno why they aren't released yet.

7. MaximusD

Ogod why would you do this to me?

hiyaman likes this.
  8. killerleaf

killerleaf beware, beyond there be dragons 10+ Year Member

Sep 6, 2006
    dazed and confused
    No they haven't. those that took the first round of Oral Exams found out last week if they passed or not. ITE's have NOT been released/sent...

9. AdmiralChz

AdmiralChz ASA Member 7+ Year Member

Sep 8, 2008
    South
    I am almost positive we didn't get results the past 3 years before April. Expect something next week.

10. 2828

2828 5+ Year Member

Dec 8, 2010
    I emailed the ABA, they told me ITE results would be released "by mid April". I'm hoping for next week, but who knows. It's been a long 6 weeks!

11. MaximusD

Jesus mid-April!? They told me 4-6 weeks when I called two weeks ago. "mid" April would be 7-8 weeks -- to grade a computerized test!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  12. 61November

61November Ex-Flight Surgeon 7+ Year Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Back Stateside
    Chill out my flight surgeon brother..

Results will be out next week, usually tue-wed

- ex 61N

13. MaximusD

*breathes into paper bag*

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  14. Shinkansen

Shinkansen 2+ Year Member

Jan 4, 2014
    ah ok, it didn't sound right. he said they were released to our advisors. damn attendings trolling residents again...

MaximusD likes this.
  15. 2828

2828 5+ Year Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Another resident in my class emailed the ABA yesterday to ask, they told him results will come the week of April 10th, just to temper expectations about next week. :eyebrow:

16. MaximusD

17. MaximusD

Confirmed. 7-8 weeks this year (week of the 10th). Awesome.

18. osumd

osumd ASA Member 7+ Year Member

Jun 28, 2010
    Your program should be paying for this regardless

19. d9sccr

d9sccr ASA Member 5+ Year Member

Apr 23, 2012
    There were only a handful of programs that were doing this when I was interviewing. It wasn't that common a few years ago.

20. AdmiralChz

Sep 8, 2008
    South
    You'd be surprised how many do not pay. We were one of the few a couple years ago.

21. MaximusD

My program doesn't pay for the basic.

22. kidthor

kidthor meep 10+ Year Member

Dec 5, 2005
    Mine didn't pay for any exams - which I suspect is the norm these days... and I think it's exploitative. The financial impact of a department paying for trainees' exams is trivial, and the soul suck and financial hardship of residents paying for endless needless exams is huge. IMO residencies should pay for every exam regardless of performance, along with medical licensing & DEA fees.

mostwanted likes this.
  23. MaximusD

That sounds nice. Can I also get 8 vacation weeks per year? LOL

24. Mazshax

Mazshax 2+ Year Member

Oct 23, 2014
    My program purchased a subscription to an online course called Learnly, by Stanford. If we have 90% completion of the daily modules, the Basic Exam is paid for. Seems fair, but a subscription to a qbank or two would probably be more helpful. That being said, I'm happy to hear that my program is one of the few that actually pays for the basic.

25. MaximusD

We did learnly (previously known as StartPrep) as well.

26. AdmiralChz

Sep 8, 2008
    South
    Perhaps for small programs but those with 20+ it gets to be an aggressive cost.

I'm a fan of those programs which tag a benchmark on ITE performance to a partial or full reimbursement for Basic/Advanced. It's a nice carrot to offer and has an indirect effect of beefing up a program's ITE scores, particularly in CA-3 year. It might even increase pass rates on boards by "strongly suggesting" they start studying earlier and with earnest. Not all programs can afford this, especially if it's a huge program, but a partial reimbursement could help.

27. MaximusD

Still hopeful for next week

28. d9sccr

Apr 23, 2012
    The total cost is a bigger number, but I have a hard time believing that even big programs couldn't do it without much thought. I'm at a bigger program and could easily find at least one crna/day to force-off to cover that cost. @$100-110/hr (their rumored wage), it wouldn't take more than a few weeks of empty lounges to "afford" paying for these exams

29. MaximusD

Has anyone heard anything new?

30. pgg

pgg Laugh at me, will they? SDN Moderator 10+ Year Member

Dec 14, 2005
    Home Again
    Jesus Christ, drink a beer. They'll be out when they get around to it.

31. MaximusD

Done

pgg likes this.
  32. caveat87

caveat87 7+ Year Member

Aug 15, 2008
    I heard a rumor from one of our faculty members who was at an ABA meeting April 10th was the score release date.

33. algosdoc

algosdoc algosdoc 10+ Year Member

May 3, 2005
    Florida
    The expectation of programs paying for exams and fees appears to be a millennial thing. The best solution would be a participation trophy instead.

34. MaximusD

Same at my program. 7 weeks is too long. But, as they say, it is what it is.

35. wickedskillz

wickedskillz ASA Member 5+ Year Member

Jun 9, 2011
    imo ABA's examintations are kind of a joke. 6-8 week turnaround time on a computerized test? I don't understand what could possibly take that long. Also, too many questions that are irrelevant to clinical practice, as well as exploitively high examination fees. ABA has plenty of ways to make money beside charging residents/fellows huge fees. Not a big fan of ABA's current exam structure at all

36. d9sccr

Apr 23, 2012
    It's only getting worse with the OSCE component being introduced. The ACGME Step 3 CS has been on-going for years but was little more than an English test. I imagine this is going to be something along the lines of "can you apply the standard monitors and do a machine check".

37. Green Grass

Green Grass 10+ Year Member

Feb 7, 2007
    Under Your Feet
    Physician
    We got ours today

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

38. MaximusD

Hopefully we get ours tomorrow

39. anbuitachi

anbuitachi ASA Member 7+ Year Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Utah
    Same, got ours today

40. IkeBoy18

IkeBoy18 ASA Member 10+ Year Member

Jul 13, 2005
    Can anyone post the norms?

41. rakotomazoto

rakotomazoto ASA Member 7+ Year Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Grumbling about exam fees might appear to the old farts like a millennial attitude problem, but the real issue is that young docs are much more financially screwed than the generations that went before.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I am drowning in medical school debt and I cringe every time I have to fork over another stack of cash just to jump through another hoop. There are more hoops than there used to be and they cost more and more each year. You can keep your trophy, just stop squeezing the young trainees who are in a much worse financial position than many older physicians. I am upset that they keep adding insult to injury. With things like MOCA and the revision of the board exam schedule (ie, creating a basic exam) the trend is that the ABA is pushing the limit of how frequently they can mug me and empty my wallet. They are in good company with insurance, government, lawyers, and others who have decided that doctors are an easy scapegoat and source of cash to fund their own agendas.

I expect this will continue and only get worse throughout my career. the over-regulation of healthcare is oppressive and our specialty is caught up in the thick of it.

Would I like my program to pay my exam fees? Give me a participation trophy? Nope. I wish they would just tell the ABA to shove it and administer their own exam. How would we be able to compare outcomes across programs? We couldn't, so we wouldn't. Board exam scores are not a comprehensive indication of the quality of training received, so maybe we should stop pretending like they are. At the least, let's move into the modern era and stop making oral board examinees fly to North Carolina when video conferencing technology is literally sitting in our pockets. Or how about scoring a computerized exam in a fashion that returns a result faster than the Pony Express?

So on that happy note, can't wait to get my ITE score. I am just hoping to get the portion of my annual education fund that is held hostage until these scores come out. Get above the 50th percentile or no $$$ for you. Even though we don't pay directly, there are always hidden costs. Such is life.

42. jlquick

jlquick SLPYTME 7+ Year Member

May 25, 2010
    MDApps:
    Still waiting here...

43. CharleyVCU1988

CharleyVCU1988 Are we having fun yet? 10+ Year Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Classified
    Got my results today and I am not happy at all as a CA3...

44. OTCAwesome

OTCAwesome 2+ Year Member

May 28, 2015
    South
    I talked to my PD, he just got back from some meeting where they were talking about the OSCE. It's going to be 7 stations, 5/7 are for "communication skills" Informed consent, discussion with surgeon, complication following procedure etc. The other two stations are going to be scenarios, they still don't know how those are going to work. Still sounds like step 3, making sure you can speak english and that you're not a total creeper

45. turnupthegas

turnupthegas 2+ Year Member

Jan 10, 2014
    Van down by the river
    I've had better days

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

46. wickedskillz

wickedskillz ASA Member 5+ Year Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Really curious why some programs would get grades back before others...

47. pgg

pgg Laugh at me, will they? SDN Moderator 10+ Year Member

Dec 14, 2005
    Home Again
    Oh :smack: what a waste of time.

Make sure you wash your hands upon entering and exiting the room. I guarantee that's on their little checklist.

48. 2828

2828 5+ Year Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Norm table

Attached Files:

mostwanted likes this.
  49. waterbottle10

waterbottle10 5+ Year Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Why do you care as a ca3....

50. amp3r5and

amp3r5and 10+ Year Member

Aug 19, 2007
    MDApps:
    My chair mentioned he was in a good mood today because he had just seen our ite scores....Looks like ours are probably coming next week

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

51. WashMe

WashMe 7+ Year Member

Jul 4, 2008
    Looking at the norm table, scores have skyrocketed across the board in the past two years! A CA-3 would now have to score a perfect 50 just to sniff the 99th percentile (which I didn't lol). Looking at the score report, they only counted 196 of the 200 questions, and I think you could miss ~20 (maybe slightly fewer) to get a perfect score, for the neurotic souls among us who worry about this stuff. People must be preparing for this stuff a lot more than in previous years... My score went up but my percentile went down. Doesn't matter, I'm riding the CA3 train to the promised land :D

Green Grass likes this.