2017 Retail wages/moving/overtime

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quickpic007

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the current policies at different companies if you move districts and do overtime?
This is what i heard from my right to work state non CA,IL,NJ,NY.
Am considering changing companies and districts, possibly moving to lower paid area.

CVS: if moving to lower paid area, keep current rate. overtime is wage plus 6 after 44 hrs/wk

WMT: if moving to lower paid area, take a market adjustment to fair staff/manager rate for new area. overtime is wage plus 3 after 40 hrs

WG: no idea, overtime is wage plus 5 after 40 hrs.

RA: no idea, no idea

Kroger: no idea, no idea

SWY/ALB/ACME/SAVON/SHAWS: no idea, no idea

Members don't see this ad.

WAG is time + 5 for salaried pharmacists over 40, time and a half for HOURLY. (FWIW, most hourly don't get 40 hours in my area)

Reactions: 1 user
Rite aid is keep current rate at new district unless you can negotiate otherwise, no OT rate you get normal hourly rate beyond your base pay

Members don't see this ad :)
WAG is time + 5 for salaried pharmacists over 40, time and a half for HOURLY. (FWIW, most hourly don't get 40 hours in my area)

What are typical hourly guarantees at WG? 20...24 hrs?

Rite aid is keep current rate at new district unless you can negotiate otherwise, no OT rate you get normal hourly rate beyond your base pay

Dang this is what I wanted to hear. Take a high rate to a lower paid area, get 12 dollars more than new grad!!

Dang this is what I wanted to hear. Take a high rate to a lower paid area, get 12 dollars more than new grad!!
Two buddies took a paycut moving to LA from Coachella area. The only company I know that maintain inflated wages after your transfer from BFE to metro is CVS. But, ofc, you will get redlined for many many years.

Two buddies took a paycut moving to LA from Coachella area. The only company I know that maintain inflated wages after your transfer from BFE to metro is CVS. But, ofc, you will get redlined for many many years.

Thx, debating on WG vs WMT mainly. Was hoping to take my decent CVS rate to WG/WMT and transfer later but no dice on keeping.

Im offered a low wage in a rural area and worried I move to a metro area they won't pay me the higher wage they are paying their pharmacist. From what I hear Bay area is $75, La $72 and rural California is at $65

input?

Im offered a low wage in a rural area and worried I move to a metro area they won't pay me the higher wage they are paying their pharmacist. From what I hear Bay area is $75, La $72 and rural California is at $65

input?

You are not getting $72 in LA...

input?
Are these retail numbers? They seem kind of inflated. Like maybe if you're Rx managers or something I can see it happening. They're definitely not starter numbers, that's for sure. You have to earn those yearly raises to get there. I dunno about rural California though. If anything, I thought wages would be more competitive since no one wants to live there..? lol

I was thinking his numbers seemed a bit on the low side for Northern CA

Rural Ca is $70-75/hr for staff rph, urban CA is $60-70.

Rural Ca is $70-75/hr for staff rph, urban CA is $60-70.
Pretty accurate for Southern CA: LA/SD to hick town BFE. CVS RAD WAG Sam's Costco Groceries, give or take $3 difference tops.
Staff 65-67, rural 70, BFE 73
Manager 68-71, rural 73-75, BFE 77-80

Example:
Metro: anywhere near SD/LA
Rural: Coachella, Palm Springs, Palm Desert, Desert hot springs
BFE: Blythe, Needles, Parker (AZ)

Last edited:
What are the current policies at different companies if you move districts and do overtime?
This is what i heard from my right to work state non CA,IL,NJ,NY.
Am considering changing companies and districts, possibly moving to lower paid area.

CVS: if moving to lower paid area, keep current rate. overtime is wage plus 6 after 44 hrs/wk

WMT: if moving to lower paid area, take a market adjustment to fair staff/manager rate for new area. overtime is wage plus 3 after 40 hrs

WG: no idea, overtime is wage plus 5 after 40 hrs.

RA: no idea, no idea

Kroger: no idea, no idea

SWY/ALB/ACME/SAVON/SHAWS: no idea, no idea
When I moved from NY to Boston area, CVS kept me at my higher-than-normal-for-the-market rate. When I moved from there to Hawaii, they offered me a 21% pay cut. I don't know if there is a policy on the whole thing, or if Pharmacy Supervisors just make it up as they go along.

I was thinking his numbers seemed a bit on the low side for Northern CA[/QUOTE
Pretty accurate for Southern CA: LA/SD to hick town BFE. CVS RAD WAG Sam's Costco Groceries, give or take $3 difference tops.
Staff 65-67, rural 70, BFE 73
Manager 68-71, rural 73-75, BFE 77-80

Example:
Metro: anywhere near SD/LA
Rural: Coachella, Palm Springs, Palm Desert, Desert hot springs
BFE: Blythe, Needles, Parker (AZ)

I guess the question is what is considered rural? Im in between Fresno and Bakersfield - smaller town. Offered 67 for manager

I guess the question is what is considered rural? Im in between Fresno and Bakersfield - smaller town. Offered 67 for manager
Far from metro. You are in rural area. I'm guessing that offer is from WAG and you might be a new grad. Each store has starting, mid, top pay based on experience and responsibility (staff or manager). You might be getting the starting pay.

Far from metro. You are in rural area. I'm guessing that offer is from WAG and you might be a new grad. Each store has starting, mid, top pay based on experience and responsibility (staff or manager). You might be getting the starting pay.

Thanks for the info. Ya new grad. Been with the company for awhile that's why he wants to make me manager right away. But I'm starting to think its a bad decision. Manager is your big step up in wage and I'm only going from 65 to 67.

Thanks for the info. Ya new grad. Been with the company for awhile that's why he wants to make me manager right away. But I'm starting to think its a bad decision. Manager is your big step up in wage and I'm only going from 65 to 67.
It's not. That's why I never want to be a manager.

If you are frugal and invest correctly, in a few short years, you can make more than sup/DM/PDM salary every year working as staff. I turned down many $75/hr PIC offers in the boonies since I already make more than the boss with way less responsibility. As manager, you are likely to work more than 40 hours to manage paper work load and other corporate agenda. Your bonus structure will be doubled. So there is that... you will work more in general to get more pay and they are likely won't cut your hours. Hourly basis alone, the raise from staff to manager is definitely not worth it.