2018-2019 APPIC Internship Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks, all hugs are appreciated! Especially during this crazy time. There is not much support from folks who have no idea what this experience is like for students. It's H E double hockey sticks

Members don't see this ad.

How's everyone doing? I'm taking the lack of activity on this thread as a sign that maybe fewer people are applying this year and it will therefore be less competitive ;)

I've narrowed my site list down to 15 schools, have drafts of all my essays (though I still need to cut them), and have drafted about 10 or so cover letters. This process is grueling on top of teaching/clinical responsibilities this semester but we're almost there! 2 more weeks!

How's everyone doing? I'm taking the lack of activity on this thread as a sign that maybe fewer people are applying this year and it will therefore be less competitive ;)

I've narrowed my site list down to 15 schools, have drafts of all my essays (though I still need to cut them), and have drafted about 10 or so cover letters. This process is grueling on top of teaching/clinical responsibilities this semester but we're almost there! 2 more weeks!

Agreed! I'm surprised by how quiet it is in here too.

I've decided to apply to 16 sites and have a second draft of all my essays and cover letters. Reading back the cover letters I can definitely tell which sites I'm more interested and excited about based on the quality of the letter. Seems like I need another pass at those letters to punch them up.

Any tips on what to do for sites that don't offer a lot of details about their program? Those letters seem the most generic and formulaic.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed! I'm surprised by how quiet it is in here too.

I've decided to apply to 16 sites and have a second draft of all my essays and cover letters. Reading back the cover letters I can definitely tell which sites I'm more interested and excited about based on the quality of the letter. Seems like I need another pass at those letters to punch them up.

Any tips on what to do for sites that don't offer a lot of details about their program? Those letters seem the most generic and formulaic.

Hi All! I'm new here and grateful for this thread! PsychDreams, I've had the same issue! I have redone my cover letters numerous times and am kind of over it haha. What I started doing was making a list of why I wanted to go to that particular site and then seeing what on the website and/or in the brochure fit with my list. This was helpful, especially at sites where the information was minimal. I hope this helps!!

Woohoo - I submitted all of my apps yesterday! :soexcited:

Just as an FYI for those who'll be submitting soon: after I entered my credit card information, and hit the 'enter'/'submit' button I received an error message, and when I went back to the main page, all the buttons to submit the application were gone, and it said "incomplete" for all of my 15 designations (it had said "complete" earlier). I called customer support who told me that the system had "bugged out" (whatever that means), and that therefore I won't receive a confirmation email. However, when you go to 'Payments' on the main page, it should say "received" under "status". And today it did change to "complete" for the 15 designations, and my credit card was charged.

Now, I can sit back and relax for the next four weeks....uh, I mean work on my dissertation;).

Just as an FYI for those who'll be submitting soon: after I entered my credit card information, and hit the 'enter'/'submit' button I received an error message, and when I went back to the main page, all the buttons to submit the application were gone, and it said "incomplete" for all of my 15 designations (it had said "complete" earlier). I called customer support who told me that the system had "bugged out" (whatever that means), and that therefore I won't receive a confirmation email. However, when you go to 'Payments' on the main page, it should say "received" under "status". And today it did change to "complete" for the 15 designations, and my credit card was charged.

Now, I can sit back and relax for the next four weeks....uh, I mean work on my dissertation;).

You're AMAZING! Congrats!

(also, I'm particularly impressed all your recommenders and DCT got stuff done so early!)

You're AMAZING! Congrats!

(also, I'm particularly impressed all your recommenders and DCT got stuff done so early!)

Thanks , I'm glad the pressure is off - at least for a few weeks.

I was pretty surprised myself that my letter writers and DCT got things at the time they said they would. It probably helped that my advisor is both the DCT and one of my letter writers. One of the reasons I submitted early was because I am out of town for good chunk of October, and I didn't want to deal with internship apps while traveling.

I'm here in the office finishing cover letters (#8 of 20) and I still don't have recs in, DCT signed off or supplemental info in. I'm freaking out!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
Wow, lots of variability in how much people have left to do. Congrats Marissa4usa on getting everything done so early! I have tentatively finalized all of my essays and am finishing up drafts of my last 1-2 cover letters. I decided to only apply to 15 sites--I now realize that my initial plan to apply to 21 sites was more of a safety behavior than anything else. Writing the cover letters really helped me narrow down my list and focus on fit.

Next on my docket is to try to account for all of my hours....! I admittedly did not do a good job at keeping track of every single assessment I've ever administered or the demo information for all of the groups I've run! This process is grueling but we're almost there!!!

Random Q: A few sites want either a comprehensive assessment and/or a case summary. Does anyone know exactly what they mean by a "case summary"? I have my clinical comps but it's pretty long (30 pgs)... Not sure exactly what they're looking for

Random Q: A few sites want either a comprehensive assessment and/or a case summary. Does anyone know exactly what they mean by a "case summary"? I have my clinical comps but it's pretty long (30 pgs)... Not sure exactly what they're looking for
None of my sites required it, so I didn't look into it any further, but my guess is it means pretty much an elaborate version of an intake summary.

Hi all, does anyone's site require a treatment or case summary? If so, how long are the ones you're submitting? Do you include a case conceptualization of the client or just a description of the treatment?

I'm in the same boat! I'm not sure what a "case summary" necessarily entails...

Members don't see this ad :)
One of the sites I was considering, CMHI-Fort Logan required a case summary and had instructions too! It might be a helpful starting point.

Also, has anyone successfully gotten the 2018-2019 brochure for Vacaville? I've e-mailed and tried to follow the online instructions and I STILL can't find it or get a response!

My understanding is that a case summary is just like a treatment summary. Mine includes background, symptoms and presenting concern, and then how the sessions went. There really doesn't seem to be a lot of information available about what it should look like. Can you ask a supervisor or your DCT? I had a supervisor who has been on the internship committee before look at mine.

Me too! I basically did an intake (presenting concerns, background, conceptualization, session descriptions) and did a quick review of what we focused on. But I am not sure if that is correct so I am submitting it to a supervisor to review it. I am still worried about my DCT still not verifying my hours...like what's taking so long? Faculty said they looked fine verbally so I don't know the hold up. Good thing is that the first deadline (10/27) is not high up on my list but then again I have a loooooong list. I just kind of want all of it submitted already so I don't worry about it.

Also, has anyone successfully gotten the 2018-2019 brochure for Vacaville? I've e-mailed and tried to follow the online instructions and I STILL can't find it or get a response!

I got a response late last week. PM me your email address and I'll pass it along!

Is anyone applying to the West Haven VA? I don't see them as a "Designation" on the APPIC site...

Has anyone been waiting for a while for their transcript to be uploaded to the APPI online system? I sent two requests on the same day (10/9) to two different graduate institutions. Both sent on that day. One was uploaded into the system last week (10/18) and another is hiding somewhere. Maybe there's a backlog and it's taking a while to get to them. Not sure if I should be getting nervous or sending another request.

Has anyone been waiting for a while for their transcript to be uploaded to the APPI online system? I sent two requests on the same day (10/9) to two different graduate institutions. Both sent on that day. One was uploaded into the system last week (10/18) and another is hiding somewhere. Maybe there's a backlog and it's taking a while to get to them. Not sure if I should be getting nervous or sending another request.

Same thing happened here. 2 transcripts sent on the same day, one got processed 4-5 days later and the other still hadn't. Called yesterday and apparently it is very common for transcripts to get lost on their way to the APPI (you think they'd have a better system in place?!). I'd recommend calling them and planning to get your transcript rush-delivered over to their offices (that is what I am having to do too so it's in my application for deadlines next week). Good luck!

2/3 recommendations in, DCT Approved hours, all app stuff in place...just waiting on one recommendation!

I submitted all 20 of my sites but it says 0 completed designations and the essays/supplemental section is locked. Does it take time to process then they open the essay/supp section? Confused and APPIC tech is closed.

Everyone should take this as a reminder to NOT wait until the very last minute to submit... some of my classmates had issues with the submission / confirmation process on the day they were due and NO ONE needs that kind of stress!!

I’m sorry, how is no one here talking about the email sent out from the Match listserv at 2:24 this morning with the APPIC song parodies?! Seriously, I’m still shook.

Reactions: 3 users
I’m sorry, how is no one here talking about the email sent out from the Match listserv at 2:24 this morning with the APPIC song parodies?! Seriously, I’m still shook.

UCC Training Directors are the best! You should see us in person.

Ok - I am stressing, I just submitted my apps then a faculty member just sent me an email with all my essays, cv, cover letters with TONS of edits (no, I did not ask)...now should I try to reverse my submission and apply her edits to 20 cover letters? I am so annoyed. This process so far has been so interesting considering my program is all over the place.

Last edited:
Ok - I am stressing, I just submitted my apps then a faculty member just sent me an email with all my essays, cv, cover letters with TONS of edits (no, I did not ask)...now should I try to reverse my submission and apply her edits to 20 cover letters? I am so annoyed. This process so far has been so interesting considering my program is all over the place.

Wow... that is really not helpful. I would not reverse the submission and leave it as is. You felt confident enough to submit, and edits can be really subjective.

Thanks, I am still debating it but coming to a place of acceptance that I edited all this information with at least 6 supervisors, some I didn't even ask for feedback but they gave it anyhow. With our program closing it seems faculty are micromanaging at this point...

Just wanted to echo that this happened for me today as well, submitting my first app. I'm glad I had read about this happening here - I'm sure I would've panicked even more had I not. The customer support lady was super nice and confirmed it went through. Apparently this is not an isolated issue, so just FYI everyone!

Just a little ray of hope -- I submitted my apps about an hour ago and all went smoothly (I feel like I need to knock on wood now -- like I'm going to look and it will all go wrong haha). Anyway, at this moment APPIC seems to be working fine. :) Good luck to everyone!

No. As previous person replied, edits are subjective, and if you thought it was good enough to submit then it is good enough. Don't waste time trying to reverse it. Just thank her for her time and move on with your life. If you made her edits and then sent them to someone else, they'd have edits too, ad infinitum. Don't sweat it and move on with your life. (though I remember the stress of applications and realize that's easier said than done, but seriously. It's ok.)

Anyone know where is the best place to see who the official training director is for each site? I see conflicting information both in the online vs. physical APPIC directories, and some of the brochures are not clear with such titles.

I used what the APPIC directory showed (online) unless there was a specific training director for the rotation/emphasis I was applying to.

Anyone know where is the best place to see who the official training director is for each site? I see conflicting information both in the online vs. physical APPIC directories, and some of the brochures are not clear with such titles.

Go with what's on APPIC

Speaking of differences, I'm applying to BOP sites. On the BOP website and in the brochure, BOP Fort Worth is referred to as a Federal Medical Center. Yet APPIC calls it a Federal Correctional Institute. Any pointers for what I should put in the Cover Letter?

Thanks!

Hi there - has anyone received this error message before? My payment went through but my APPIC application still says all of my designations are "incomplete"
Screen Shot 2017-10-27 at 8.42.53 PM.png

Speaking of differences, I'm applying to BOP sites. On the BOP website and in the brochure, BOP Fort Worth is referred to as a Federal Medical Center. Yet APPIC calls it a Federal Correctional Institute. Any pointers for what I should put in the Cover Letter?

Thanks!

Hello, I would use FMC Fort Worth, since that’s in the brochure.

Submitted!! I feel a little sick, but you gotta celebrate when you can. :claps:

Good luck everyone!

It’s been a pretty long standing tradition...as they had at least one during my year. :D

Revel in the awesomeness.

It’s been a pretty long standing tradition...as they had at least one during my year. :D

Revel in the awesomeness.
Honestly, I thought I had dreamt the whole thing. I've been having really bizarre and vivid dreams about internship stuff for the last couple months, and this definitely seemed to fit the bill of something weird I could have dreamt. It wasn't until later in the day that I realized, nope, not a dream, this is in fact real life. I still have lots of feelings about it, to be honest hahah

Question: In the instructions for the cover letter, one of my sites says: "If you took the GREs, please provide your scores. There is no need to convert the new scores to the old scale."

Honestly, this irks me beyond measure. I took the GRE 5 years ago and, even though my scores weren't fantastic, I've done well in graduate school academically, clinically, and research-wise. Do I really need to include my GRE scores? My cohort-mate is applying to the same site but is unable to access their GRE scores (they used an old undergrad email no longer in use) and is just not going to include them. Do you all think the selection committee will penalize/not consider applicants who don't include their scores? I'm noticing both my frustration and willfulness at the idea of including the scores and my anxiety about not following the rules outlined in the instructions.

Question: In the instructions for the cover letter, one of my sites says: "If you took the GREs, please provide your scores. There is no need to convert the new scores to the old scale."

Honestly, this irks me beyond measure. I took the GRE 5 years ago and, even though my scores weren't fantastic, I've done well in graduate school academically, clinically, and research-wise. Do I really need to include my GRE scores? My cohort-mate is applying to the same site but is unable to access their GRE scores (they used an old undergrad email no longer in use) and is just not going to include them. Do you all think the selection committee will penalize/not consider applicants who don't include their scores? I'm noticing both my frustration and willfulness at the idea of including the scores and my anxiety about not following the rules outlined in the instructions.

I applied to this site as well I think, and I was so frustrated about this instruction as well. I struggled to find my old GRE scores (and had to ask an admin at school who had access to my application from 5 years ago), and also had less than stellar scores. It sounds like the program understands that not everyone will have them by their instructions, and I don't think they will throw applications out if they don't include them. That being said, I choose to include them regardless with the hope that they not put a lot of weight on them. I definitely considered just not including them either.

I applied to this site as well I think, and I was so frustrated about this instruction as well. I struggled to find my old GRE scores (and had to ask an admin at school who had access to my application from 5 years ago), and also had less than stellar scores. It sounds like the program understands that not everyone will have them by their instructions, and I don't think they will throw applications out if they don't include them. That being said, I choose to include them regardless with the hope that they not put a lot of weight on them. I definitely considered just not including them either.

I did as well and had to dig around to find them but I did include them! I, too, am unsure why they're interested in our GRE scores when they will be able to view our graduate transcripts. I took mine 7 years ago I believe. Definitely frustrating!

@Affectual @PsychDreams - thanks for your feedback! I ended up including them too... I do feel a bit better knowing I wasn't the only one frustrated by those instructions!

Also, just submitted the remaining 14 of my apps (for a total of 18). Feeling a lot of feelings right now.

JId1jfM.jpg

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Hi all, I'm new here! Just submitted a few applications yesterday. Has anyone experienced a glitch in the system regarding the wrong reference letters or other materials being attached to your designations? I know for a fact I attached a specific letter (it was one of 4 letters written by a supervisor for that specific site). When I went through the payment system and went back to look at my summary, it showed a different letter was submitted (same letter writer, different letter). I called APPIC and they said they couldn't do anything after submission. They suggested I contact the site directly to ask if I could have the right letter directly sent to them because "this happens all the time." Here's my question --- is it worth the risk of looking "incompetent" to correct this mistake? The letter sent in was generic (so not naming another site or anything), but it was missing a lot of important information for that site specifically. What would you do? Thank you!

Here's my question --- is it worth the risk of looking "incompetent" to correct this mistake? The letter sent in was generic (so not naming another site or anything), but it was missing a lot of important information for that site specifically. What would you do? Thank you!

We training directors know first hand how buggy the portal is and it's not unusual to have an applicant reach out and say basically what you've said here and offer the correct letter. I don't see these emails as a sign the applicant is incompetent and generally just make note on the file about the replacement document so that it gets reviewed.

Just yesterday submitted 5 of 11 site applications with no problems. Will do the rest this Saturday. It feels so good to be this far!

Reactions: 1 users
Submitted all 13 sites yesterday with no problems! Now I am worried that there could be an issue but I just missed it. LOL.