2018-2019 APPIC Internship Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats on everyone getting their applications in! We're almost done, y'all! With this part of the process at least.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
21 applications in and all recommendations were in by Friday! The next step is definitely going to be interesting. It could go one way (too many interviews/scheduling issues) or another (too few interviews). Regardless, I am enjoying the quiet time with my two kiddos until I have to ship them off before interview season begins to their Nana's. Focusing on dissertation - and IRB complications, so have to wait on IRB to okay a change before I get back into the grove of data collection. How is everyone holding up?

I'm feeling more anxious now that I've turned in my applications. I just want to hear back from my interviews already.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm feeling more anxious now that I've turned in my applications. I just want to hear back from my interviews already.

Same. I knew I would struggle with waiting, and I am. Also adding to that stress/anxiety, I've been in email correspondence with one of my sites (nearly had a heart attack when I saw them emailing me already) who had questions about whether or not my coursework is sufficient for a Provisional Licensed Mental Health Practitioner (PLMHP), which the internship requires you be eligible for. I knew this when I applied, looked at the PLMHP requirements, and things appeared to be fine, especially when I also considered I come from a strong, APA-accredited program. Guess not. The site asked me to send several syllabi for them and the state to review - twice. As of now, I've been told what I have "may be enough, but they can't be 100% sure."

The people I've been corresponding with have been very, very nice, and I'm really appreciative they're giving me the opportunity to clarify/send more syllabi. And, it's super stressful to have to dig through syllabi from 4 years ago - especially when those syllabi met APA's standards for accreditation. This is a site I'm really excited about, so it's hard knowing there's a possibility I won't get an offer based solely off of coursework. :(

Last edited:
Wow already? I actually removed some sites because of similar requirements. Sorry you're going through that! What a pain

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Wow already? I actually removed some sites because of similar requirements. Sorry you're going through that! What a pain

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Thanks, I appreciate that. This site had an early deadline, so I'm assuming that's why I've heard from them already. I brought this to my DCT and another faculty member and they were just as surprised as me given that we've never had any issues regarding courseware with accreditation or with alums trying to get licensed. I'm hopeful things will work out. One of my friends reminded me that great things rarely happen without hiccups along the way, so I'm trying to stay in that headspace. Congrats on getting your apps in!

Reactions: 1 user
I’m sorry, how is no one here talking about the email sent out from the Match listserv at 2:24 this morning with the APPIC song parodies?! Seriously, I’m still shook.

Yours is my favorite contribution to this thread so far. :rofl:

Yours is my favorite contribution to this thread so far. :rofl:

Hahah, thanks! I had been low key stalking this thread for like a month and made an account for the sole purpose of asking how it was possible no one had mentioned those song parodies yet. These forums have proven to be a good outlet for my neuroticism, hence the continued posting beyond just asking about those...musical endeavors.

Just to ease my anxiety, I submitted everything, received the email from APPIC saying congratulations it is all submitted, DCT verified, all letters of recommendations have been received, transcripts received, and all 16 designations say complete. Is that it, or am I missing anything?

You should be good! I double checked that all my supplemental information was attached and realized I did not add one. Aside from that you might be in the clear! At least...for now.

Does anyone know if an interview thread is already started? Or will we just use this same thread for announcing interviews?

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if an interview thread is already started? Or will we just use this same thread for announcing interviews?

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile

I panicked and thought someone had already gotten an interview when I saw last year's thread had been bumped. I started this thread, but don't think I can start and manage the next one.

I panicked and thought someone had already gotten an interview when I saw last year's thread had been bumped. I started this thread, but don't think I can start and manage the next one.

^ditto

I've been a silent watcher of these forums for some time now, but I think managing the interview thread might help manage my own anxiety (or make it worse....who knows!?). If it sounds good, I'd be happy to go ahead and start and manage that thread, modeled after the previous ones.

Done and Done: https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/2018-2019-appic-internship-interview-thread.1285997/

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
^ditto

I've been a silent watcher of these forums for some time now, but I think managing the interview thread might help manage my own anxiety (or make it worse....who knows!?). If it sounds good, I'd be happy to go ahead and start and manage that thread, modeled after the previous ones.

Done and Done: https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/2018-2019-appic-internship-interview-thread.1285997/

I am truly amazed and grateful for you to take this on, as I'm pretty sure I'd end up lying on the floor with a bottle of wine and a package of Oreos if I tried.

Also, can anyone believe we're already at this point?! Ahhhhhhhh!!!

Last-Minute HELP! My dissertation advisor hasn't uploaded her letter. I have 3 other letters. I submitted some apps with all 4 references listed, just in case. Now in the portal it says those ones are submitted, and I have paid; however, it says the designations are "Incomplete" because of the missing letter. If she doesn't get in in by tonight, will those apps go through as is? They only require 3, but I thought I was covering my bases by putting 4 since hers wasn't in yet. And another big question: do I just submit the others without my main advisor's letter? That seems risky too!

Last-Minute HELP! My dissertation advisor hasn't uploaded her letter. I have 3 other letters. I submitted some apps with all 4 references listed, just in case. Now in the portal it says those ones are submitted, and I have paid; however, it says the designations are "Incomplete" because of the missing letter. If she doesn't get in in by tonight, will those apps go through as is? They only require 3, but I thought I was covering my bases by putting 4 since hers wasn't in yet. And another big question: do I just submit the others without my main advisor's letter? That seems risky too!

Oh man! I'm sorry this is so stressful! I would call APPIC and explain the situation and see what they say. Also could you call/email your advisor asking them if they will make the deadline?

Oh man! I'm sorry this is so stressful! I would call APPIC and explain the situation and see what they say. Also could you call/email your advisor asking them if they will make the deadline?
Thanks for this reply! APPIC is only available by phone from 9-5. I didn't realize this is how it'd look when I submitted, and she told me this afternoon (again...) that it'd be in. So I just planned to submit later tonight. I don't want to wait too long though, because I'm worried about some computer error at the last minute.

Thanks for this reply! APPIC is only available by phone from 9-5. I didn't realize this is how it'd look when I submitted, and she told me this afternoon (again...) that it'd be in. So I just planned to submit later tonight. I don't want to wait too long though, because I'm worried about some computer error at the last minute.

I'm so sorry you're dealing with such stress right up to the wire! That sounds awful. How close are you with your advisor? Would it be weird to text her? You could just be honest and say you want to know about when to expect to submit your apps completely. I get that no one likes being texted at 8:30 in the evening, AND I would hope she remembers and understands how stressful this process is.

The selection portal has two categories: submitted and complete; submitted and incomplete. If your app is missing something it will be in the incomplete section until the letter is uploaded and then it will automatically shift into the completed category. I've had this happen after I've closed the portal without an issue.

We training directors know first hand how buggy the portal is and it's not unusual to have an applicant reach out and say basically what you've said here and offer the correct letter. I don't see these emails as a sign the applicant is incompetent and generally just make note on the file about the replacement document so that it gets reviewed.
Thank you so much for the insight. I talked to my DCT about this and I think we both agreed it's not worth "flagging" my application with the program and bother them for what is essentially one paragraph different from the other letter. This whole process is so stressful!

Guys--we did it!!! Glad things worked out, Secret CBT Squirrel! It feels like such a relief to have these submitted!

Yes, congratulations to all!!! :soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:

How is everyone holding up with the waiting so far? My way to cope/distract today was to put up all of my Christmas decorations...

Reactions: 2 users
Y'all stop with all this "yay, we did it nonsense." You did it. I'm failing at life and missing deadlines and, and, and....:rocksselfincorner:

Hi Everyone, Is anyone applying to neuropsychology sites? I was hoping to apply to 14, but wondering if that is too low when looking at the APPIC Match statistics (seems like 17 is the sweet spot). Also, do you guys know how students typically hear back for interviews? Just the email on their CV? That's so scary...what if it goes to SPAM!!!:nailbiting::spam:

Do people actually get calls? even scarier:arghh: I wish sites could simply message you directly through the APPIC website. :shrug:

Y'all stop with all this "yay, we did it nonsense." You did it. I'm failing at life and missing deadlines and, and, and....:rocksselfincorner:
Okay, take a second to rock in the corner and then listen up: you are a bomb-ass applicant and you have GOT this. You can do this! You are in the home stretch, so just dig deep and keep working because you. can. do. this!!

(Also, I'm sorry if saying "bomb-ass" is breaking some kind of rule/terms of service here, it just really seemed like it was needed in this moment.)

I missed a few deadlines too, it's okay, theres plenty of good sites still open well into the 2-3rd week of November. Ironically, that's when my top 3 are due. Keep the spirit alive and write your little heart away all weekend. Coffee + naps = manageable

Hi Everyone, Is anyone applying to neuropsychology sites? I was hoping to apply to 14, but wondering if that is too low when looking at the APPIC Match statistics (seems like 17 is the sweet spot). Also, do you guys know how students typically hear back for interviews? Just the email on their CV? That's so scary...what if it goes to SPAM!!!:nailbiting::spam:

Do people actually get calls? even scarier:arghh: I wish sites could simply message you directly through the APPIC website. :shrug:

I can't speak to the neuropsych stuff, but as far as hearing from sites, it seems like a mixture of emails and phone calls are how they notify you. Most of the people in the cohort above me last year got emails, but there were also several phone calls between the 8 of them. If you look at the interview threads from previous years, it also shows a mix of emails and calls. I know there have been issues with emails going to spam folders, so I think you just have to make sure to check it regularly.

I missed a few deadlines too, it's okay, theres plenty of good sites still open well into the 2-3rd week of November. Ironically, that's when my top 3 are due. Keep the spirit alive and write your little heart away all weekend. Coffee + naps = manageable
I panicked and went ahead and sent my first one out with a transcript that still has incompletes waiting to be fixed. I'm thinking that said transcript is now a part of the core application that can't be changed now that it's been submitted and I'm doomed for eternity and all sites will recieve my poopy (I haven't been here long enough to know if cursing is acceptable) transcript even after the incompletes are fixed. C'est la vie, carpe diem, bottom's up, I guess....

Okay, take a second to rock in the corner and then listen up: you are a bomb-ass applicant and you have GOT this. You can do this! You are in the home stretch, so just dig deep and keep working because you. can. do. this!!

(Also, I'm sorry if saying "bomb-ass" is breaking some kind of rule/terms of service here, it just really seemed like it was needed in this moment.)

Sorry I'm replying to things out of order, and I really have nothing in particular to say here, but upon scrolling back up, I thought it was fun that we both commented about our lack of knowledge of forum cursing rules.

Also, aren't you the person who brought up the songs when everybody was being all serious about their applications? Let's match at the same place and be besties next year, k? :p

I haven't submitted everything either...not even close. And I found a mistake on my application already. I fear there's more. But that's okay! I'm rocking in the corner with you.

I haven't submitted everything either...not even close. And I found a mistake on my application already. I fear there's more. But that's okay! I'm rocking in the corner with you.
:welcome:, to the corner, that is.

Sorry I'm replying to things out of order, and I really have nothing in particular to say here, but upon scrolling back up, I thought it was fun that we both commented about our lack of knowledge of forum cursing rules.

Also, aren't you the person who brought up the songs when everybody was being all serious about their applications? Let's match at the same place and be besties next year, k? :p

Hahah, yep, that's me! I have a knack for noticing and drawing attention to the bizarre/extraordinary moments in everyday life. It's one of my spiritual gifts.

And absolutely, so long as you remember...
635885144595038795-467707214_friendships_zpscf18f4be.gif

I don't know what kind of mistake you found on your APPI, but for what it's worth, I submitted my first application with a pretty glaring error on the first page of my CV (said my anticipated defense of my dissertation was May 2017, not May 2018), and in my first 4 applications, I left out a word ("a") in one of my essays making that particular sentence a bit confusing to read before I caught the error and fixed it. Also, I realized after my DCT had verified my APPI that I made a mistake in transferring my assessment hours from Time2Track to the AAPI, so that it said I had 272 hours in one section but 274 in another. My application was locked at that point and there wasn't anything I could do to change it.

All that to say, I'm guessing everyone's application has at least one typo, grammatical error, or adding error somewhere. When you're slaving over the same documents for weeks and months on end, I'd say it's almost expected for something to slip through the cracks. We do the best we can throughout a stressful process, and I'm guessing (or hoping at least!) that sites and training directors will be forgiving with the small mistakes. Or just not notice them altogether :ninja:

Honestly, I don't think a few errors is going to matter much. And yes, I am sure we all have a couple errors somewhere in there. My first few applications went out with an error on my CV. I had a practicum site listed as starting in 2014, when it really started this year. My CV was looked over by myself, the DCT of my program, and my mentor, MULTIPLE times, and no one caught it. I have a feeling no one is going to be looking over our materials with a fine-toothed comb. Being aware of an actual error (like mine) might be somewhat important in case someone asks during interview, whereas a few actual typos are unlikely to be important at all. Now that all my apps are in I am actively resisting the urge to look them over again for errors. LOL.

I don't know what kind of mistake you found on your APPI, but for what it's worth, I submitted my first application with a pretty glaring error on the first page of my CV (said my anticipated defense of my dissertation was May 2017, not May 2018), and in my first 4 applications, I left out a word ("a") in one of my essays making that particular sentence a bit confusing to read before I caught the error and fixed it. Also, I realized after my DCT had verified my APPI that I made a mistake in transferring my assessment hours from Time2Track to the AAPI, so that it said I had 272 hours in one section but 274 in another. My application was locked at that point and there wasn't anything I could do to change it.

All that to say, I'm guessing everyone's application has at least one typo, grammatical error, or adding error somewhere. When you're slaving over the same documents for weeks and months on end, I'd say it's almost expected for something to slip through the cracks. We do the best we can throughout a stressful process, and I'm guessing (or hoping at least!) that sites and training directors will be forgiving with the small mistakes. Or just not notice them altogether :ninja:

Something kind of similar to you-I filled out the application in July when the portal opened and forgot to change Dissertation Proposal from expected to completed, but it says August 2017. Some sites require it done by application time. I hope they read it and realize I should I have changed it.

My boyfriend was laughing out loud at my last minute cover letters (I'm so behind-not like all you folks who already submitted everything...I'm turning everything in last day!). Apparently, I suffer from comma drama. I hate writing and it shows in the letters...especially when I haven't had enough coffee. I am pretty error prone so i'm afraid to look through more of my old applications!!!!

Btw, I LOVE the Mindy Project. Can we all just go to the same internship? lol.

Honestly, I don't think a few errors is going to matter much. And yes, I am sure we all have a couple errors somewhere in there. My first few applications went out with an error on my CV. I had a practicum site listed as starting in 2014, when it really started this year. My CV was looked over by myself, the DCT of my program, and my mentor, MULTIPLE times, and no one caught it. I have a feeling no one is going to be looking over our materials with a fine-toothed comb. Being aware of an actual error (like mine) might be somewhat important in case someone asks during interview, whereas a few actual typos are unlikely to be important at all. Now that all my apps are in I am actively resisting the urge to look them over again for errors. LOL.

Same! My CV and essays had no less than 6 pairs of eyes on them, and no one caught either mistake. And speaking of that truly masochistic urge to look at submitted materials: I actually logged into the applicant portal today (because I hate myself) with the idea that I would "just skim through my apps" before the friend I was with was like NO YOU WILL NOT. I then came home and laid on my acupressure mat (highly recommend to everyone, btw) and binge-watched Mindy, soooooo....

Last edited:
Something kind of similar to you-I filled out the application in July when the portal opened and forgot to change Dissertation Proposal from expected to completed, but it says August 2017. Some sites require it done by application time. I hope they read it and realize I should I have changed it.

My boyfriend was laughing out loud at my last minute cover letters (I'm so behind-not like all you folks who already submitted everything...I'm turning everything in last day!). Apparently, I suffer from comma drama. I hate writing and it shows in the letters...especially when I haven't had enough coffee. I am pretty error prone so i'm afraid to look through more of my old applications!!!!

Btw, I LOVE the Mindy Project. Can we all just go to the same internship? lol.

I'm also banking on the idea that these sites are sifting through dozens if not hundreds of applications, and am hoping they might overlook some things. Here's hoping!

Mindy lovers, unite!! Good luck with your last applications!! Remember, you are a warrior and your warrior name is
MK8.gif

I love how Mindy-centric this thread has become.

I too am aggressively banking on the idea that no one will notice my typos. I'm sure they're there but I'm committed to burying my head in the sand and not looking over my materials now that they're submitted.

9194057df25617a9b8650f24db8c58d2.gif

I love how Mindy-centric this thread has become.

I too am aggressively banking on the idea that no one will notice my typos. I'm sure they're there but I'm committed to burying my head in the sand and not looking over my materials now that they're submitted.

View attachment 225069
But really!! Y'ALL. Imagine all the awesome Mindy gifs we can use when we start hearing back from sites! Good news or bad, Mindy has got us covered, and personally, I can't wait.

Part of me doesn't want to post in the interview thread about anything other than actual notifications from sites because there may be others like me who are stalking it for updates about site notifications...

But speaking of that, is anyone else irrationally angry when they get an email from literally anyone other than a site? This afternoon I got not 1, not 2, but THREE emails about a "small rolling cart" from the psych department office, documenting the cart being missing, still missing, and finally being found. It was marked "urgent" and everything and I just cannot, I cannot.

Part of me doesn't want to post in the interview thread about anything other than actual notifications from sites because there may be others like me who are stalking it for updates about site notifications...

But speaking of that, is anyone else irrationally angry when they get an email from literally anyone other than a site? This afternoon I got not 1, not 2, but THREE emails about a "small rolling cart" from the psych department office, documenting the cart being missing, still missing, and finally being found. It was marked "urgent" and everything and I just cannot, I cannot.

Not irrationally angry...yet. Most sites said will notify before like December I think? I want to pretend that my application isn't just being quickly tossed aside because they didn't like my comma drama in the cover letters. At the moment, I'm just enjoying not panicking and staring at my email. However, every time I hear that gmail ding sound anywhere, my heart does jump....
Relax! Watch the new Mindy episode...

I got a call today from an unknown number AND it left a voice mail today. I was so irrationally angry when it was about the election today.

Is this process over yet?

I got a call today from an unknown number AND it left a voice mail today. I was so irrationally angry when it was about the election today.

That is just WRONG.

I put my family and close friends on alert today: you text before you call, and so help me god, if you email me (looking at you and all those slow cooker recipes, Mom), you are dead to me.

...........Not that I'm dramatic or anything. :whistle:

I've gotten two calls in the past two days from unfamiliar numbers (this rarely happens). Yesterday, the lady told me I won a free trip to a Hawaii and Napa (or something) and asked me if "that sounded nice?" I was so annoyed I said "No. It doesn't. I know you're just doing your job and I don't know how you got my number, but don't call me again. Thanks." All considering, I think I was pretty polite. On one hand, I know it's a wee early, on the other...she still got my heart rate up before I answered. Grr.

And jeez I can't believeeee there are already interview invites. Whyyyyy.

I've gotten two calls in the past two days from unfamiliar numbers (this rarely happens). Yesterday, the lady told me I won a free trip to a Hawaii and Napa (or something) and asked me if "that sounded nice?" I was so annoyed I said "No. It doesn't. I know you're just doing your job and I don't know how you got my number, but don't call me again. Thanks." All considering, I think I was pretty polite. On one hand, I know it's a wee early, on the other...she still got my heart rate up before I answered. Grr.

And jeez I can't believeeee there are already interview invites. Whyyyyy.

Literally my response to every instance of phone-ringing or email-dinging is "how DARE you?"

Also, if you really hate yourself, you can take a gander at the previous year's interview thread and see when the sites on your list started offering invites, which is partly to blame for how keyed up I am right now :wideyed::wideyed::wideyed:

Literally my response to every instance of phone-ringing or email-dinging is "how DARE you?"

Also, if you really hate yourself, you can take a gander at the previous year's interview thread and see when the sites on your list started offering invites, which is partly to blame for how keyed up I am right now :wideyed::wideyed::wideyed:

I don't want to hate myself that much...I hate myself that I'm still writing cover letters as many of the sites I'm applying to have mid Nov. deadlines. Just to put it out there, I am available via PM if anyone wants to virtually cry into my inbox. No guarantees I'll be helpful as I am also fairly anxious.

Oh I've definitely looked at those. HOWEVER, I have also looked at the interview list prior to that one and the dates are pretty discrepant sometimes. So now I don't even know what to do except feel keyed up ALL THE TIME!

It's almost 6pm PST everyone, relax. I doubt anyone is calling/emailing now. Take the night off and be keyed up again tomorrow! jk.