2018-2019 APPIC Internship Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh I've definitely looked at those. HOWEVER, I have also looked at the interview list prior to that one and the dates are pretty discrepant sometimes. So now I don't even know what to do except feel keyed up ALL THE TIME!

I may or may not have looked at the past 2 years and put both in a column on my massive spreadsheet because, as stated, I apparently hate myself.

Also, I would just like to say it feels good to not be the only one who looked at those haha!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
It's almost 6pm PST everyone, relax. I doubt anyone is calling/emailing now. Take the night off and be keyed up again tomorrow! jk.
tumblr_mz6exvQUpJ1rhhf2io2_500.gif

Hahahha, just kidding! In all seriousness, it's nice to know we have a voice of reason here :)

tumblr_mz6exvQUpJ1rhhf2io2_500.gif

Hahahha, just kidding! In all seriousness, it's nice to know we have a voice of reason here :)
Lolllll I thought about finding a Mindy gif like "chill!". I hope I didn't offend anyone, certainly didn't mean to. Believe me, in like 2 weeks when I have no interview invites I will be crying all over this thread. Not sure if I'm really a voice of reason, but I remembered when we were waiting on loan approvals for housing, I would feel so relieved after business hours because it meant I couldn't stare at my phone! What would Mindy do in this situation? Nevermind...we probably don't want restraining orders from training directors before interview invites...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Lolllll I thought about finding a Mindy gif like "chill!". I hope I didn't offend anyone, certainly didn't mean to. Believe me, in like 2 weeks when I have no interview invites I will be crying all over this thread. Not sure if I'm really a voice of reason, but I remembered when we were waiting on loan approvals for housing, I would feel so relieved after business hours because it meant I couldn't stare at my phone! What would Mindy do in this situation? Nevermind...we probably don't want restraining orders from training directors before interview invites...
Nahhh, no offense here! I knew I'd be anxious while I wait, so that's just where we are right now.

Oh my God, I love "what would Mindy do?" Mindy would probably eat some cookie dough and lay on the floor before being the baller she is. Got the first two covered for today (seriously, haha), so I just need to transition into the baller part for now :cool:

Nahhh, no offense here! I knew I'd be anxious while I wait, so that's just where we are right now.

Oh my God, I love "what would Mindy do?" Mindy would probably eat some cookie dough and lay on the floor before being the baller she is. Got the first two covered for today (seriously, haha), so I just need to transition into the baller part for now :cool:

WWMD? <-- The Official 2018/2019 APPIC Survival Mantra

*groan* Now I'm anxious and need to vent a bit/ask a question. I realize I made a mistake with my APPIC applications and didn't monitor the word count on my essays. They're all well over 500 words. I jumped the gun and thought that if my advisors and DCT all thought the essays were fine that I'd be good...and simply forgot about the limit. How badly did I just shoot myself in the foot here?

*groan* Now I'm anxious and need to vent a bit/ask a question. I realize I made a mistake with my APPIC applications and didn't monitor the word count on my essays. They're all well over 500 words. I jumped the gun and thought that if my advisors and DCT all thought the essays were fine that I'd be good. How badly did I just shoot myself in the foot here?
It doesn't say they have to be under 500, it just said they recommended a word limit of 500. How many words over were you on average?

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile

All of my essays were about 700 or so words. I know it's a recommendation, but given how grueling the internship process is I was doing my best to stick to the letter of APPIC's suggestions and being 200+ words on average over the recommendation seems like a bad idea. @_@ my advisors and DCT loved the essays and never mentioned them being too long. Hopefully this error, however much it annoys those reading my essays, will be balanced by other factors. What comes to mind is that I have a ton of intervention hours and Rutgers GSAPP has a great reputation. I really hope those will hold more weight. All I can do is wait a week and see what happens as invites roll in from the sites I've applied to. Thanks.

There's really not enough activity on these threads to keep me distracted from my responsibilities and emotions, so I'm going to go ahead and (potentially?) be a buzzkill and create some conversation fodder.

Is it appropriate for a white person to use Mindy gifs? htAtps://wAww.teenvogue.cAom/story/digital-blackface-reaction-gifs (Remove 3 "A"s to follow link. The forum wouldn't let me post a link as a newbie poster, so I obscured it a bit)

Note: I am not assuming the race or ethnicity of any former poster, nor am I commenting on my own. This is intended as purely hypothetical.

ETA: Don't ban me, bro. Please?

All of my essays were about 700 or so words. I know it's a recommendation, but given how grueling the internship process is I was doing my best to stick to the letter of APPIC's suggestions and being 200+ words on average over the recommendation seems like a bad idea. @_@ my advisors and DCT loved the essays and never mentioned them being too long. Hopefully this error, however much it annoys those reading my essays, will be balanced by other factors. What comes to mind is that I have a ton of intervention hours and Rutgers GSAPP has a great reputation. I really hope those will hold more weight. All I can do is wait a week and see what happens as invites roll in from the sites I've applied to. Thanks.
I think it depends on the sites. What type of sites did you apply to and how many? If I were you, I would add on a few more with later deadlines and makes sure your essays are under the 500 word limit. If you were applying to UCC's I could see them look past it, at other sites I think it depends. Good Luck!

I saw this Intern hotel match up from years ago on here. Anyone interested to help coordinate this? Any takers. Or would you utilize this if I attempted to orchestrate it?

SSCP Internship Hotel Match-Ups

Hi Everyone, Is anyone applying to neuropsychology sites? I was hoping to apply to 14, but wondering if that is too low when looking at the APPIC Match statistics (seems like 17 is the sweet spot). Also, do you guys know how students typically hear back for interviews? Just the email on their CV? That's so scary...what if it goes to SPAM!!!:nailbiting::spam:

Do people actually get calls? even scarier:arghh: I wish sites could simply message you directly through the APPIC website. :shrug:
yes, people almost always hear by email. So check your email frequently, and DEFINITELY check your spam filter. I know 2 people who had invites end up there.

Members don't see this ad :)
I may or may not have looked at the past 2 years and put both in a column on my massive spreadsheet because, as stated, I apparently hate myself.

Also, I would just like to say it feels good to not be the only one who looked at those haha!!
I totally did that too! But only with one of the years so far...need to do it with another to keep myself occupied!!!!

I saw this Intern hotel match up from years ago on here. Anyone interested to help coordinate this? Any takers. Or would you utilize this if I attempted to orchestrate it?
Yes, broke student be broke.

Anyone get any email from a site to tell you they received your application?!? I nearly jumped out of my seat and then realized it was just them telling me to hold tight.

And if anyone is wondering, it's Kennedy Krieger

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone get any email from a site to tell you they received your application?!? I nearly jumped out of my seat and then realized it was just them telling me to hold tight.

Ditto!

I’m gonna join y’all in the anxious corner now. Just received an email clarifying the mistake I mentioned on my app about my “expecting” to propose In Aug 2017 I appreciated she took the time to ask...

There's really not enough activity on these threads to keep me distracted from my responsibilities and emotions, so I'm going to go ahead and (potentially?) be a buzzkill and create some conversation fodder.

Is it appropriate for a white person to use Mindy gifs? htAtps://wAww.teenvogue.cAom/story/digital-blackface-reaction-gifs (Remove 3 "A"s to follow link. The forum wouldn't let me post a link as a newbie poster, so I obscured it a bit)

Note: I am not assuming the race or ethnicity of any former poster, nor am I commenting on my own. This is intended as purely hypothetical.

ETA: Don't ban me, bro. Please?

I feel like Mindy would be more than okay with it...

My poor cohort mate did and panicked like "it's too early!! what have I done wrong!?!" before she read the email in full. Like, okay, I appreciate that Kennedy Krieger...but can you not?

I think it depends on the sites. What type of sites did you apply to and how many? If I were you, I would add on a few more with later deadlines and makes sure your essays are under the 500 word limit. If you were applying to UCC's I could see them look past it, at other sites I think it depends. Good Luck!

That makes sense. I applied to UCCs (5), VAs (5), a few hospitals, and two forensic sites to hit a total of 15 applications split between the NY/NJ and Virginia areas. Home program is the PsyD program at Rutgers GSAPP. I can't afford to apply to any more sites and cover cost of living and cost of interview (I'm on a *very* tight budget with absolutely no financial assistance of any sort), so sadly I'm just going to sit, wait, and see what happens. I'm going to hope some combination of the prestige of my program, the ton of hours I have (I'll be hitting time2track's "high average" for intervention hours reported by people who matched for APPIC internships by the end of my current practicum), and the experience that contributed to those hours matching the sites I applied to will carry the day. ...and being a minority male, haha...and that not following that particular set of instructions won't hurt me too much. Thanks for the advice, but I can't follow it. I can't squeeze blood out of this financial rock!

Hi everybody, I hope applications are going well for you all! I just submitted my last four applications and was starting to dance around and eat my celebratory dinner when I realized I didn't attach my required assessment report for the only site that asked for one. Thus ended the dancing. Any suggestions on how to deal with the situation? I'm planning on calling APPIC tomorrow to ask them to cancel/withdraw in hopes that I can (pay to - of course) resubmit the application again. Anyone ever done or heard of that being done? If that fails I guess I'll be emailing the training director. It's a VA by the way.

Anyways, any thoughts would be appreciated.

Hi everybody, I hope applications are going well for you all! I just submitted my last four applications and was starting to dance around and eat my celebratory dinner when I realized I didn't attach my required assessment report for the only site that asked for one. Thus ended the dancing. Any suggestions on how to deal with the situation? I'm planning on calling APPIC tomorrow to ask them to cancel/withdraw in hopes that I can (pay to - of course) resubmit the application again. Anyone ever done or heard of that being done? If that fails I guess I'll be emailing the training director. It's a VA by the way.

Oh man, I'm so sorry!! I'm sure this happens to a lot of people each year, which hopefully means APPIC can help you deal with it appropriately. I don't know if there's a way to cancel/resubmit an application (although I can't imagine APPIC (or any institution for that matter) would have a problem with accepting more money from you), so I really can't offer any feedback other than I'm sorry and I hope you still eat your celebratory dinner and dance! Celebrating each of these victories is important, especially with such a long and arduous process. Congrats on getting to this point, and hope things work out!!

This happened to my friend last year (at a non VA) and she contacted the site, explained the error and they allowed her to e-mail them the assessment report. If it is any consolation, all worked out and she was accepted at that site. I hope this helps!!!

That makes sense. I applied to UCCs (5), VAs (5), a few hospitals, and two forensic sites to hit a total of 15 applications split between the NY/NJ and Virginia areas. Home program is the PsyD program at Rutgers GSAPP. I can't afford to apply to any more sites and cover cost of living and cost of interview (I'm on a *very* tight budget with absolutely no financial assistance of any sort), so sadly I'm just going to sit, wait, and see what happens. I'm going to hope some combination of the prestige of my program, the ton of hours I have (I'll be hitting time2track's "high average" for intervention hours reported by people who matched for APPIC internships by the end of my current practicum), and the experience that contributed to those hours matching the sites I applied to will carry the day. ...and being a minority male, haha...and that not following that particular set of instructions won't hurt me too much. Thanks for the advice, but I can't follow it. I can't squeeze blood out of this financial rock!

What's high average according to time2track? Everyone (faculty/supervisora) commented I would have to explain the MASSIVE amount of hours I have... But I don't know what that means

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Totally understandable... At least you have some UCCs so that might help!

I did that. I called APPIC and they said they couldn't withdraw. Then I contacted the DCT listed on APPIC and explained it. They said it was fine and to send it via email. Try contacting the DCT to see if they are willing to take it.

What's high average according to time2track? Everyone (faculty/supervisora) commented I would have to explain the MASSIVE amount of hours I have... But I don't know what that means

The combined assessment and intervention "high average" on Time2Track is 1,366. I have a lot of hours too, and if it comes up, I just plan to explain the breadth of rich clinical experiences I had where I got those hours. I can't imagine interviewers spending a whole lot of time asking questions about hours.

Oh I see. I'm around that as well... But given I have held a 40-50 hour practicum over each summer and have been a paid clinician for two years... It makes sense. How about you?

I'm already spending about $1,500 in airfare for my kids to fly to my mom's place... And I haven't even started scheduling interviews! #singlemomgradproblems

What's wrong with having lots of hours? I have a lot of butt in chair hours at the site...but a lot of my clients didn't show up. I'm in a Psy.D. program though...

What's wrong with having lots of hours? I have a lot of butt in chair hours at the site...but a lot of my clients didn't show up. I'm in a Psy.D. program though...

That is only face to face hours.... My butt in chair hours is much more than that lol and I don't exactly recall APPIC asking for those

I've never heard of programs requesting or reviewing "butt in chair" hours, just face-to-face time and supportive activities (e.g., report writing). If an applicant has a very large number of hours, the reviewers may wonder about: if they were high or low quality hours, the amount and quality of supervision received, and if the clinical hours came at the expense of other activities that may have helped the applicant become more well-rounded.

I've never heard of programs requesting or reviewing "butt in chair" hours, just face-to-face time and supportive activities (e.g., report writing). If an applicant has a very large number of hours, the reviewers may wonder about: if they were high or low quality hours, the amount and quality of supervision received, and if the clinical hours came at the expense of other activities that may have helped the applicant become more well-rounded.

This. If someone has an insane amount of hours, it is usually to the expense of something else. Great, you got like 1200 hours at 1 or 2 sites, but you have zero publications and minimal poster presentations. Sometimes that time can be better spent elsewhere. Coming into the intern level, we want to see a fairly well-rounded person, who has a clear trajectory as they get into the later grad school years if they are a specialist (e.g., neuro, health, etc).

Gotta love reading through Match News to see that one of the sites that you scrambled to get your application turned into before the deadline extends their deadline. I don't at all regret having a task behind me, but my first thought was, "I guess they thought my application was so crummy that they need to find more applicants." When I talked myself down from that one, my second thought is, "I could be writing a much higher quality cover letter with all this extra time as opposed to the panicked one I threw together in less than an hour after finally getting my toddler to sleep the night of the deadline. GIVE IT BACK!!!"

That is only face to face hours.... My butt in chair hours is much more than that lol and I don't exactly recall APPIC asking for those

Sure they do. It's called "support." :p

I'm already spending about $1,500 in airfare for my kids to fly to my mom's place... And I haven't even started scheduling interviews! #singlemomgradproblems

Ouch. I'm also a parent, although not a single one. Although, if it makes you feel any better, we're so poor that I (and my child and spouse) already live at my mom's place. :p :help:

How old are your kids? I have a 2 y.o.

Ouch. I'm also a parent, although not a single one. Although, if it makes you feel any better, we're so poor that I (and my child and spouse) already live at my mom's place. :p :help:

Shout out to all the parents on here! I've killed 3 cacti and a peace lily thus far, so mad props to y'all for both applying AND keeping your tiny humans alive and well!

So did I! And I keep obsessively checking those dates and comparing them to the date on the calendar - as if checking the date multiple times a day is going to magically move the calendar forward :bang:

Reactions: 3 users
Shout out to all the parents on here! I've killed 3 cacti and a peace lily thus far, so mad props to y'all for both applying AND keeping your tiny humans alive and well!
Thanks, but you're making at least a few assumptions here... :p

6 year old and a 3 year old. The 6 year old is more like 15 yrs old tho...the attitude just develops so early!

So did I! And I keep obsessively checking those dates and comparing them to the date on the calendar - as if checking the date multiple times a day is going to magically move the calendar forward :bang:

Is it weird that I have re-read all the posts from the past 3 years...like internship thread AND internship interview thread. Yikes.

Little humans alive and well CHECK house, laundry, dishes, etc. UMMMM....not so much.

The selection portal has two categories: submitted and complete; submitted and incomplete. If your app is missing something it will be in the incomplete section until the letter is uploaded and then it will automatically shift into the completed category. I've had this happen after I've closed the portal without an issue.
Thank you for this response!! It's helpful to know what it looks like on the other side.

Me too

How is everyone doing?

So far I’ve gotten 7 rejections out of 16, so my optimism is running on a very thin line :/

How is everyone doing?

So far I’ve gotten 7 rejections out of 16, so my optimism is running on a very thin line :/

At this point, I have 5 interviews scheduled of the 13 sites I applied to. I am somewhat panicked that this isn't enough, despite feeling like I would be a good fit at any of the sites I've heard back from... I'm attempting to calm myself by looking at Match stats from 2016. Just remember guys 88% of the people who apply matched, and 57% of the people who matched did so at their first ranked site.

Good luck everyone! Also, is this the thread to see who we're going to see at which interview?