2018-2019 Mayo Clinic School of Medicine - Arizona Campus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have heard that a lack of a home program in a given specialty is a significant disadvantage for applicants into that specialty due to less research opportunities and less opportunity to make connections in the field. Do any current students here have thoughts on the lack of an ophthalmology program? If you were theoretically very interested in ophthalmology, is it better to look to other medical schools?

I had the very same question as you last year and was stuck between UT Southwestern (strong ophtho program) and Mayo AZ. I ended up choosing Mayo because as absolutelynot said most research projects are not going to involve much in person interaction and the Research Dean at Mayo AZ is very receptive to you reaching out to other people at the other campuses.

Members don't see this ad.

I had the very same question as you last year and was stuck between UT Southwestern (strong ophtho program) and Mayo AZ. I ended up choosing Mayo because as absolutelynot said most research projects are not going to involve much in person interaction and the Research Dean at Mayo AZ is very receptive to you reaching out to other people at the other campuses.
I haven't done much clinical research, but isn't it a major disadvantage to not be in the same location? How do the dynamics work when you are working 1,500 miles away from someone? Is it at all a disadvantage to not be in the same location? Why do people normally report that there at a substantial disadvantage when they don't have a home program if they could easily just do research with other schools, independent of their distance?

I haven't done much clinical research, but isn't it a major disadvantage to not be in the same location? How do the dynamics work when you are working 1,500 miles away from someone? Is it at all a disadvantage to not be in the same location? Why do people normally report that there at a substantial disadvantage when they don't have a home program if they could easily just do research with other schools, independent of their distance?
Still a lot to unpack here. :)

I've completed a clinical research project (at least my contribution to it) with a PI from the Rochester campus with zero problem. Mine was based off chart review, and we have access to the entire Mayo system of charts. I did not find being in AZ at all a disadvantage even though the PI is in Minnesota. We communicated, when necessary, via e-mail and Skype.

From a residency perspective, the Minnesota program is as much my home program as the AZ one, albeit one I have to put in a little more effort to network at if interested. Research is, I would say, one of the least important parts of having home programs to match at. Much more important is the fact that a.) the "home program" PDs automatically know and trust your background, so they have no qualms about the quality of your education b.) the "home program" PD probably personally knows a lot of the people you worked with, and yes the docs in AZ and Minnesota have a fair amount of cross-communication c.) your best advocates, from deans to mentors, have a direct and in-house line to the PD of whatever program you're interested in.

For a school that had zero ties to ophthalmology, your evident anxiety would be more reasonable. But you have every opportunity to make connections and do research across all three campuses, and you would have a home program, even if it doesn't fit your personal definition.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How many have actually submitted? I remember the email saying that the applicant volume has gotten high or something like that, but I'm not sure if that's what its always said or always gonna say.

Now I’m seeing on Reddit that you had to articulate your interest in the AZ campus in particular for the secondary. I gave reasons for "why Mayo" and my fit for Mayo, but my reasons were applicable to both campuses. Should I count this one out and move on, or is there still a chance? I really would’ve thought that the secondary would also ask "Why Mayo AZ" if this were totally true.

I doubt that's true, there were people who said they used the same essays for both last year and we're accepted.

"Share with us your thoughts about the relevance – or not – of diverse learning environments in which you wish to learn medicine."

Are you interpreting this as "diversity" meaning urban/rural/underserved, variations in curriculum or diverse ethnicities present within the student body and faculty??

"Share with us your thoughts about the relevance – or not – of diverse learning environments in which you wish to learn medicine."

Are you interpreting this as "diversity" meaning urban/rural/underserved, variations in curriculum or diverse ethnicities present within the student body and faculty??

I went with the second but mainly because my first diversity essay focused on the first so I think you can go with either. To me the second makes more sense though.

I can only find service opportunities that students can participate in for the MN campus - anyone know of service opps on the AZ campus? I can't find anything online :(

I can only find service opportunities that students can participate in for the MN campus - anyone know of service opps on the AZ campus? I can't find anything online :(
I actually spoke with admissions about this and they were quite helpful. E-mail them and ask

Finally submitted this secondary after languishing in my inbox since July 13th.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! I wanted to know what you think are the pluses and minuses of going to this school. Thanks for any replies! I really love Arizona, but with money being tight, I wanna know if it's worth applying.

Hey guys! I wanted to know what you think are the pluses and minuses of going to this school. Thanks for any replies! I really love Arizona, but with money being tight, I wanna know if it's worth applying.

Lots of pluses that I won't get into but the only minuses I can think of are

-mandatory attendance for lectures (which I heard most people don't mind anyways)
-dress code (no white coats and always supposed to dress professionally even for class, also heard this isn't enforced and lots of people where jeans to class unless there's going to be patient interaction).

Almost everything else about the school seems amazing. Selectives are one of their more unique things, look it up on their website.

Reactions: 1 users
Quick clarification - we are not expected in any way to dress professionally for class, assuming there are no patients coming in. The only class dress code things are no gym clothes/no pjs/things of that nature. Jeans and a t-shirt are pretty much standard fare for a regular day.

Reactions: 2 users
Quick clarification - we are not expected in any way to dress professionally for class, assuming there are no patients coming in. The only class dress code things are no gym clothes/no pjs/things of that nature. Jeans and a t-shirt are pretty much standard fare for a regular day.

Another current student told me the same thing. I just thought there was an official one but no one really followed/enforced it from the way they said it

Last year I got my II late August for a late September interview.

Reactions: 3 users
Lots of pluses that I won't get into but the only minuses I can think of are

-mandatory attendance for lectures (which I heard most people don't mind anyways)
-dress code (no white coats and always supposed to dress professionally even for class, also heard this isn't enforced and lots of people where jeans to class unless there's going to be patient interaction).

Almost everything else about the school seems amazing. Selectives are one of their more unique things, look it up on their website.

If I have a 511 mcat and a 3.94 gpa but lots of solid activities and show dedication to my research, do you think I have a shot at this school?

If I have a 511 mcat and a 3.94 gpa but lots of solid activities and show dedication to my research, do you think I have a shot at this school?
Your MCAT is below the 10th percentile for this school. You would be fighting an uphill battle, so I would make sure to really emphasize "why here" in your secondary essay.

Your MCAT is below the 10th percentile for this school. You would be fighting an uphill battle, so I would make sure to really emphasize "why here" in your secondary essay.

Thanks. So the Arizona campus is not even the slightest bit easier to get into?

Thanks. So the Arizona campus is not even the slightest bit easier to get into?
Lol Mayo is Mayo regardless of whether you're thrown into the burning sun or the freezing cold.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Anyone know the word/character count for the secondary prompts?

I wouldn’t focus too hard on the stats. They take the mission seriously here, focus on how you can help them fuffill it.

Is the mission for the Mayo Arizona school different from the one in MN? I can't find a separate one for AZ online. If you have time, would you mind posting it?

It's the same. Same accreditation, same curriculum, same mission, (essentially the) same stats.

I wrote the hell outta the 'why Mayo' essay highlighting all aspects of the mission (including some parts they dont tell you online but my friend who interviewed there last year told me they highlighted during the interviews). I pray to God they don't think I'm being fake because I genuinely believe I fit into Mayo's mission. Idc if I'm gonna be in MN or AZ because, regardless, I'll have to wear a spacesuit to walk outside and will get a great education.

I hope someone on their adcom read that and will send me an II now.

You definitely still have a shot

II just now! My mind is absolutely blown.

II!!! Over the moon!! God is good!

Reactions: 3 users
II also this morning! Went through one of their programs so I'm super excited to visit Mayo again..but in AZ!

II today morning! 3.72/522/OOS

has anyone who preferenced the 2+2 pathway heard anything?

Mayo in MN supports a lot of students in their artistic pursuits and organizes a lot of trips for artistically inclined students. Do y'all know if the Arizona campus does too? Thanks!

@thenucleusaccumbens do you attend this school? I appreciate you saying I have a shot at getting accepted here. I really hope so. I love Arizona and Mayo has endless opportunities.

II! Complete 8/5 LM: 70 SHOOK

Reactions: 5 users
II this morning!! LizzyM 76-77, complete 7/26, IS. Legit so excited!!

Just got an interview invite today! 3.9/523. Definitely my number 1 choice. I'm not seeing any available dates. Is anyone seeing an available date? If so around when so I can plan interviews accordingly. Thanks so much!
When I scheduled it this morning there were 4 dates in September and I didn’t see anything in October. If I remember correctly they were 9/17, 9/21, 9/24 & 9/28. However they could be different for you. I would give them a call if you don’t see any dates available!