2018-2019 Mayo Clinic School of Medicine - Arizona Campus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II!!!!!! LM 74 OOS Complete 8/3. I was flat out rejected from mayo mn so this was a definite surprise my dudes

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
74 LM, was put on hold at this campus today (9/4), was complete 8/7.

Reactions: 1 user
LM 71-72 here with still silence lmao. Complete mid-July

@ResortCasual
How connected is the student body? Do you all do stuff together outside of class?

How do you feel about the science of health care delivery curriculum so far?

How concerned should I be about radio silence at this point? I was complete 7/20, and lots of people on here who were complete after me have gotten notified of rejection/hold/interview. Obviously I don't want a rejection, but is that normal to kind of get skipped over like that for a while? Mayo is a big reach for me, but I really feel like I align with their values and mission, so I've been neurotically checking this thread almost every day.

Same situation for me, not the most fun enduring the silence!

@Boola Boy The student body is very connected. The entire M1 class is always in communication be it on Slack, on GroupMe, or working together on campus. While we don't always hang out all together at once, I would say people are always doing something together and if I tried to make an event for everyone 90% or more would show up. Everyone is very friendly and I enjoy their company a lot.

I will defer to @Immunorunner for your second question and let him answer it

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
M1 at AZ as well - more than willing to answer questions about Mayo in the thread, may or may not respond to DMs.

Reactions: 1 users
I have an mcat sub 517, are they doing these apps in order of mcat?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sure, SHCD was an important segment of our curriculum that I found useful but in some ways redundant. It is a great introduction to the allied fields surrounding healthcare but for people that took economics or political science classes it may be repetitive. However, it is a great early opportunity to get exposed to the lives of your patients and the healthcare system as an object of study. It is also a very easy field to enter into research with, as it requires very little background or preparation. I wouldn't suggest choosing Mayo because of the SHCD curriculum, but I would consider it a positive to the curriculum as a whole which could be an aspect of your decision.
You also get early interaction with a lot of very established physicians and researchers, training in implicit bias and its implications for healthcare, and other important contextual considerations for healthcare as a system. If you read what I wrote and only thought "that sounds like fluffy BS," Mayo puts a lot of emphasis on these considerations and the social structure of their organization so make sure you think of that when discerning if it is the right fit for you. Does that sound right @ResortCasual? @Immunorunner may have a different take (I think they were more skeptical of the SHCD curriculum) so their input may be insightful.

Sure, SHCD was an important segment of our curriculum that I found useful but in some ways redundant. It is a great introduction to the allied fields surrounding healthcare but for people that took economics or political science classes it may be repetitive. However, it is a great early opportunity to get exposed to the lives of your patients and the healthcare system as an object of study. It is also a very easy field to enter into research with, as it requires very little background or preparation. I wouldn't suggest choosing Mayo because of the SHCD curriculum, but I would consider it a positive to the curriculum as a whole which could be an aspect of your decision.
You also get early interaction with a lot of very established physicians and researchers, training in implicit bias and its implications for healthcare, and other important contextual considerations for healthcare as a system. If you read what I wrote and only thought "that sounds like fluffy BS," Mayo puts a lot of emphasis on these considerations and the social structure of their organization so make sure you think of that when discerning if it is the right fit for you. Does that sound right @ResortCasual? @Immunorunner may have a different take (I think they were more skeptical of the SHCD curriculum) so their input may be insightful.

I think this is a great description of SHCD which shows the positive aspect of it as well as some of the problems some of our classmates have had with it.

So do they go in at random? It’s not by date so..

They have their own process that us students would not have any way of knowing. While I would love to tell you how they process applications, anything the M1 or M2 on this board say would be more how we think it worked based on our application cycle

They have their own process that us students would not have any way of knowing. While I would love to tell you how they process applications, anything the M1 or M2 on this board say would be more how we think it worked based on our application cycle
By all means go for it! I’d love to hear your thoughts on app processing speed

I just think we should reiterate that we don't know, and that we couldn't give you a firm answer. I think anyone would be reticent to give you false information, and at this point (this early in the process) this isn't the thing you should be focusing on. They have a lot of applications to process, and whether you are first or last you will be evaluated equally. Some of my classmates interviewed first and some interviewed last, so this is not determinative of your chances.

Reactions: 2 users
So do they go in at random? It’s not by date so..
I personally believe they look at the applications randomly. Each member of the admissions committee probably gets a stack of applications that they sort through individually...but who knows. This is all speculation. I wouldn't worry about how they proceed to go through the applications because it doesn't matter. Sit back and wait for II.

I personally believe they look at the applications randomly. Each member of the admissions committee probably gets a stack of applications that they sort through individually...but who knows. This is all speculation. I wouldn't worry about how they proceed to go through the applications because it doesn't matter. Sit back and wait for II.
I think it does matter to some extent since chances of an II/acceptance go down over time. Guess we’ll just have to wait and see

I think it does matter to some extent since chances of an II/acceptance go down over time. Guess we’ll just have to wait and see
But it probably doesn't benefit you to think about it, because if you get an interview, you get an interview, and if you don't, you don't. I can promise you that should you receive an II you are considered alongside everyone else in terms of who to give the initial acceptances to around February. Again, an equal number of people I know that were accepted interviewed early vs. late. Plus, it's September! I can't imagine they've gotten through many applications as of yet. Keep calm and carry on.

+1

For the MS1s, what opportunities are there for interactions with the MS2s?
There are tons of opportunities. We are always collaborating during events and interest group meetings. Same goes for our interactions with the Rochester students. @ResortCasual @Immunorunner would you like to comment on that?

There are both the formal and informal interactions, from the interest groups and events as mentioned above to lunch time, where we're constantly mixing in the student lounge. We also have more formalized MedSibs (which it's up to the individual pairs how much they do formally) as well as learning communities and tutoring opportunities. And if you like ping pong, there will always be an MS1 or MS2 looking for a game.

Any suggestions for things to do after interview day? I'll be staying an extra night due to flight availability so I'll have the rest of the day after my interview free.

For anyone who's been a part of the pre-interview social, how casual should a "casual" outfit be? I know Mayo has a reputation for being well-dressed and professional at all times, so I want to make sure that I am fitting the atmosphere.

For anyone who's been a part of the pre-interview social, how casual should a "casual" outfit be? I know Mayo has a reputation for being well-dressed and professional at all times, so I want to make sure that I am fitting the atmosphere.
Jeans and T shirt is fine. It is a completely casual event. You don't have to dress to impress anybody. The student ambassadors should have sent an email to anyone interviewing containing the details of the pre-interview event.

Any suggestions for things to do after interview day? I'll be staying an extra night due to flight availability so I'll have the rest of the day after my interview free.
You could do some early morning hiking, hit the water parks, go to the zoo/aquarium, or check out the Scottsdale mall (Fashion Square). There is plenty to do here in Scottsdale/Phoenix.

You could do some early morning hiking, hit the water parks, go to the zoo/aquarium, or check out the Scottsdale mall (Fashion Square). There is plenty to do here in Scottsdale/Phoenix.

Nice, sounds like I won't have any trouble finding something to do!

If you aren't in black tie dress, don't show up.

But honestly, wear what is comfortable since you will have to be in business formal for the interviews. Us students are there as a resource for you the night before the interview to get a sense of the school and whether you feel like it is a good fit for you.

Jeans and T shirt is fine. It is a completely casual event. You don't have to dress to impress anybody. The student ambassadors should have sent an email to anyone interviewing containing the details of the pre-interview event.
How valuable is the pre-interview event to getting a sense of the school? A few of my invites have had a similar optional event and while I would love to go, I have a busy schedule that means it's often a big hassle getting in early enough for them. Just trying to judge if it's worth the trouble

How valuable is the pre-interview event to getting a sense of the school? A few of my invites have had a similar optional event and while I would love to go, I have a busy schedule that means it's often a big hassle getting in early enough for them. Just trying to judge if it's worth the trouble
I think the event is pretty valuable. It is a chance for the interviewees to feel the vibe of the school. When I was interviewing, I tried to get a sense of how the students felt about the program, each other, and tried to gauge their stress level. I can say that going to the pre-interview dinner was extremely beneficial as I got the chance to ask about the interviews, opportunities, and anything else that was on my mind. If you cant make it, don't sweat it. It has no leverage on your chances of getting accepted at all. If you do get accepted, we have a second look event where you can meet many of your future class mates and staff so that you may make a decision accordingly.

The school (admissions) getting a sense of if you are a good fit for the school is just as important as you seeing the campus, talking to students and seeing if the school is a good fit for you.

In my opinion that is far more important. But I would say not being able to go isn't a big deal, but is likely the only chance you will get to meet with current students without administration around and get to ask any lingering questions

If you aren't in black tie dress, don't show up.

But honestly, wear what is comfortable since you will have to be in business formal for the interviews. Us students are there as a resource for you the night before the interview to get a sense of the school and whether you feel like it is a good fit for you.
You will recognize me as the one dressed in a full tuxedo later this month!

II this afternoon!! This felt like such a reach for me, so I am thrilled, and also still in a bit of shock. Complete 9/2

Last edited:
Are there any hikes in particular that you'd recommend? I'll also be staying an extra day also, and I love to hike, but mostly looking for something relatively close/easy to get to since I'll be flying out in the afternoon.

Are there any hikes in particular that you'd recommend? I'll also be staying an extra day also, and I love to hike, but mostly looking for something relatively close/easy to get to since I'll be flying out in the afternoon.

There are mountain trails less than 2 miles north east of the Mayo campus on 134th and Shea. I run up there once per week

I wanted to let everyone know that the Marriott on the scottsdale campus has a pretty good discount using the Mayo corporate deal! I got quoted $89 for my room which is comparable to an airbnb

You should ask to stay with a student and try to save the 90 bucks.

Last edited:
Regarding student hosting, does anybody know when we'll hear back? I'm assuming for the student host it'll be for one night (the night before?) but I just want to confirm whether I'll have a student host before I book a place for my second night.

Email the organizer that emailed you and see if the person hosting you has capacity/willingness to host you the night before or after. It'll be up to them, but it's worth asking.
I mean I don’t want to impose / I don’t mind paying for the second night, but I was under the impression that a student host even for the first night wasn’t necessarily guaranteed (like it would be based off of availability) and I didn’t want to book something until I know for sure whether I’d need it for one or both days.

II!! This is my first invite. I am sooo stoked to see this place; it seems like a smaller, more manageable version of Mayo Rochester with a very high QoL... :love:

Complete 8/24, 3.91, 523, WARS 100.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users