*** 2018-2019 MD/PhD cycle - Questions, Comments, and other things ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Update: I called Penn and they said that if I think it's not relevant or doesn't add anything, then I don't need to write it.

Slightly more relevant question: Emory asks you to list all of your research experiences that are longer than 8 weeks. I withdrew from a research for credit course during my junior year. To cut a long story short, the person I met with over the summer decided he couldn't have me and passed me along to his friend who had zero funding, zero graduate students, zero postdocs, and basically relied on 2 undergrads, 1 who had no research experience, and me. It was not a good experience in any way. I was also dealing with some health issues at the time and my advisor told me to withdraw from it. Then, she said I wouldn't have to mention it, but in another more recent conversation, she said that some schools ask for all experiences and that I might have to list it.

I checked exactly how long I *worked* in this guy's lab and it was under 8 weeks. Do I have to list it for the Emory/Penn application? I'm obviously not getting a letter from him and have 3 other strong references and will be working for a fourth group as well.

I worked in a similar lab for a matter of a few weeks. I basically sat at a desk and did homework because nobody was around to train me. The PI taught me how to do a few things himself, but I never really did any research. I left pretty quickly. I don't count that as a real lab experience and left it off my application.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey does anyone know how bad it is to call the school and ask to push an interview off to say-- January when you're offered an October date? I most definitely can't make the date offered as I have another interview, and I have 9 other interviews from Oct-Dec. on top of still being a full time student, so trying to make the best decision possible for this school and for my sanity. Don't get me wrong, this is a great problem to have.

Hey does anyone know how bad it is to call the school and ask to push an interview off to say-- January when you're offered an October date? I most definitely can't make the date offered as I have another interview, and I have 9 other interviews from Oct-Dec. on top of still being a full time student, so trying to make the best decision possible for this school and for my sanity. Don't get me wrong, this is a great problem to have.
I do not mind receiving requests for a different date, though pushing it out 3 months can be interpreted that your interest in that program is not too strong. When I get these requests for deferral to a much later date, my experience is that about 40% will later pull out of the interview. Typically, this happens in mid- to late-December, after an applicant gets some acceptances and decides that they are tired of interviewing. (I can usually manage to fill a spot with someone else, but it can be a pain for us to schedule, and can result in expensive plane tickets that the newly-invited applicant will have to bear.) If you do find yourself in a situation like this, please make the decision and notify the program of your withdrawal as soon as possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, so not sure if I'd be doing anything about this, but I might add more schools and md schools to my 27 school list. I was complete for most of that school list by first week of August. I got NOTHING back yet. No rejection, no ii..... Not sure if this is good or bad? Adding another school at this time (mid-sep)? opinions?

I do not mind receiving requests for a different date, though pushing it out 3 months can be interpreted that your interest in that program is not too strong. When I get these requests for deferral to a much later date, my experience is that about 40% will later pull out of the interview. Typically, this happens in mid- to late-December, after an applicant gets some acceptances and decides that they are tired of interviewing. (I can usually manage to fill a spot with someone else, but it can be a pain for us to schedule, and can result in expensive plane tickets that the newly-invited applicant will have to bear.) If you do find yourself in a situation like this, please make the decision and notify the program of your withdrawal as soon as possible.

Ah, OK, thank you for the input. I guess I will just suck it up and squeeze it in earlier then.

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this already, but just to double check... is it possible to ask to reschedule an interview closer to a specific date not listed on a school's MD-PhD Interview Calendar, if you are already in the area for another school's interview? I'm entirely grateful for these interviews, but am also trying to save on some travel money and time.

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this already, but just to double check... is it possible to ask to reschedule an interview closer to a specific date not listed on a school's MD-PhD Interview Calendar, if you are already in the area for another school's interview? I'm entirely grateful for these interviews, but am also trying to save on some travel money and time.
This is generally harder since schools typically only have a few designated MD-PhD interview weekends. I guess that it doesn't hurt to (politely) ask, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

This is generally harder since schools typically only have a few designated MD-PhD interview weekends. I guess that it doesn't hurt to (politely) ask, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
Yeah that's what I figured. Thanks for the feedback!

Can anyone give some advice on how to handle interview conflicts? I confirmed an interview date with one program a week ago, and today, I received an interview from a different program for the same date. Are programs usually accommodating about this? What's the best way to word the email? The program says that it's "difficult to reschedule" and that they "provide interview dates in advance to prevent conflicts”, but I didn't have a choice with regard to which interview date they gave me.

Last edited:
Can anyone give some advice on how to handle interview conflicts? I confirmed an interview date with one program a week ago, and today, I received an interview from a different program for the same date. Are programs usually accommodating about this? What's the best way to word the email? The program says that it's "difficult to reschedule" and that they "provide interview dates in advance" to prevent conflicts, but I didn't have a choice with regard to which interview date they gave me.

I just said that I can't make that date and they gave me other options. Nothing too complicated.

Just popping in this thread to say hello and best of luck to everyone in the cycle. With my new MCAT score in, I'm officially in the MSTP-applicant game. Following the Rejection/Interview/General Questions threads have been helpful!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do y'all think that someone with 3 II's should apply to more schools if they do not hear back from any more schools by the end of September? Thinking I may have applied too top heavy:(

Do y'all think that someone with 3 II's should apply to more schools if they do not hear back from any more schools by the end of September? Thinking I may have applied too top heavy:(

In the same boat right now with 3 IIs. A lot of the schools I applied to haven't started sending out IIs (UCSF, UCSD, Harvard, etc.), far as I can tell, so I'm not too concerned at this moment. I was stressed up until this week, but I got invites from two schools since Monday, so that made me feel a lot better! Plus, I haven't gotten any rejections yet, so I take that as a good sign as well.

Last edited:
Quick question about secondaries! If a school asks for a Why MD/PhD essay (like UCLA), what's the consensus on reusing my primary essay? It's not like my motivation has changed over the past couple months...

Quick question about secondaries! If a school asks for a Why MD/PhD essay (like UCLA), what's the consensus on reusing my primary essay? It's not like my motivation has changed over the past couple months...
I asked the same question to the admissions office. They said it may appear lazy if you repeat it.

I'm an applicant myself, but I would always err on the side of providing new information about yourself that can add another dimension to your application or add something that isn't addressed anywhere else. For my Why MD/PhD essay I talked about how my desire to do a dual degree program has evolved through my different experiences. For this additional essay, I wrote about a specific patient experience and how it reshaped how I think of my research.

I asked the same question to the admissions office. They said it may appear lazy if you repeat it.

Thank you! Do you happen to know if they expect me to fill out the research areas of interest for Caltech if I only indicate UCLA as the location of study?

Honestly up to you, but I don’t think it’s necessary if you already have 3 and have a lot left to hear back from.
You are probably right. Patience is not my best virtue, obviously. Thank you for your help.

Thank you! Do you happen to know if they expect me to fill out the research areas of interest for Caltech if I only indicate UCLA as the location of study?

Anecdotally, I put CalTech only, put N/A in "Research interests at UCLA", talked about the faculty at CalTech being the reason I applied, and then was offered an interview at UCLA only, so I am not entirely sure it matters what your write.

Anecdotally, I put CalTech only, put N/A in "Research interests at UCLA", talked about the faculty at CalTech being the reason I applied, and then was offered an interview at UCLA only, so I am not entirely sure it matters what your write.

FWIW It's "Caltech" not "CalTech".

Anyone know if its too late to add a school? I just learned about the program at stony brook and am interested but think I may be a little too late to the game. Any insight would help!

Anyone know if its too late to add a school? I just learned about the program at stony brook and am interested but think I may be a little too late to the game. Any insight would help!
From stony brook's MSTP FAQ:
"The application process runs from June through December 1st for matriculation in July of the following year."

If you look at the MD-PhD interview google doc that fencer shared, you can check when schools have their last interview dates. I would bet that since Stony Brook lists dates until February that you would have a fair chance if you apply now , and that based on their faq you would have a chance at an interview if you apply by december 1st.

There are several programs without secondaries. That would be faster review. Truly, you still have a strong chance for a review. By October 1st, you should be targeting at least 4 interviews, preferably 6. If you are behind, add schools with high numbers of slots (at least 4 or more) and with lesser applicants per slot. Agree, examine the google calendar and consider applying prior to the end of the first week of October.

The list of MSTPs hasn't been updated. There are several new MSTPs expanding their entry classes. PM me if you want specific advice.

Reactions: 1 users
For two day interviews (MSTP and then MD back-to-back), should we have two different interviewing outfits

On the same vein - if we have a dinner with current students the night before the interview - are we expected to wear buisness formal to that as well?

On the same vein - if we have a dinner with current students the night before the interview - are we expected to wear buisness formal to that as well?

(I'm a girl)

I wore a professional suit (blazer and pants) the first day and wore a professional dress and the same blazer the second day. So I didn't need an entirely new outfit which saved me some space in my suitcase.

As for the dinner, I wore a business casual dress. The other people were also dressed similarly with casual button downs/khakis or business casual dresses. No suits or ties.

If I decline a (hypothetical) MD/PhD acceptance in favor of a PhD program, would this prohibit me from applying to MD programs in the future after my PhD (in the way declining an MD acceptance effectively blacklists you from applying MD again?).

Declining an MD acceptance blacklists you from applying MD ever again??? Is there more info on this somewhere?

a) 4lphabet asked about declining an MD/PhD acceptance, not MD.
b) 4lphabet asked about it; he/she didn't say that's what adcoms do or whether it's a common policy.

If I decline a (hypothetical) MD/PhD acceptance in favor of a PhD program, would this prohibit me from applying to MD programs in the future after my PhD (in the way declining an MD acceptance effectively blacklists you from applying MD again?).

Thanks for the info!

One of the questions in the AMCAS application is if you have ever been accepted in medical school and decline enrollment. It is only a box, but you are expected to address it in the personal comments. Many programs will see this as an issue when considering giving acceptances (or invitations to interview) but it could be explained well in your application and/or interview.

What if you are accepted to a single MD/PhD program but ultimately decide that the research is not a good fit and apply again (with a presumably improved application)? Would that be a red flag?

This is my worry. I interviewed (only II received currently), but realized during my interview that their research environment didn't align with my goals. My current PI is recruiting me as well (PhD-only) and I'm heavily leaning towards applying MD later.

MD/PhD programs are still able to accept students who have started their PhD studies. I personally have accepted 2 students over the past 7 years who were in graduate school within their first 2 years of their PhD program. They were stronger applicants than earlier in their careers. Once again, research fit is important. Just because a SOM has a great name or USNW&R ranking, they do not make them into a terrific MD/PhD program for your needs. That could be explained, but PM me if you are still concerned.

What if you are accepted to a single MD/PhD program but ultimately decide that the research is not a good fit and apply again (with a presumably improved application)? Would that be a red flag?

I applied to a few schools rather blindly, but now I wish I had filtered by research first.

You can still add schools now. They would rapidly receive your primary and if you were focused you could have the secondaries done in a few days. In many cases it is not too late to do so. I would recommend finding schools that are on paper a good fit, and then spend some time on the websites of the departments you are interested in. My personal rule of thumb was that if i couldn't find at least 3 people who I would be excited about working with for the PhD then I did not apply to that school for MSTP. I also looked for schools with PhD options that were a close fit. Since my research interests are quite focused, I was excited about schools where other PhD students would be focused in closely related fields.

Another consideration is that if the school is an NIH funded MD-PhD, then you could apply to the NIH GPP once in medical school. I have several friends who did this and were really happy to had access to a great group of scientists. While garnering acceptance to the GPP is no sure thing, it is at least a possibility if you only end up with a single MD/PhD acceptance.

Good luck!

Is there a list somewhere as to which programs are fully funded/provide stipends? I found a few things online but wasn't sure as to how recently they have been updated.

I'm curious about how long the review process for MD/PhD programs really takes, especially at this point in the process. For MD, weeks to months makes sense, since they genuinely have thousands of applicants, but MSTPs get only hundreds and they tend to have dedicated admissions staff. Sometimes I have called the main admissions office for information and they say they know nothing and transfer me over.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm curious about how long the review process for MD/PhD programs really takes, especially at this point in the process. For MD, weeks to months makes sense, since they genuinely have thousands of applicants, but MSTPs get only hundreds and they tend to have dedicated admissions staff. Sometimes I have called the main admissions office for information and they say they know nothing and transfer me over.
Yeah, that's something interesting to think about... MD-PhD programs receive far less applications than MD-only, but it seems that MD-PhD have much smaller admissions committees as well. And it also seems to be something very variable between schools, as some schools may review MD-PhD apps exclusively through a dedicated adcom for those, while others may initially have the app pass through the regular MD adcom before reaching the MD-PhD one. Not sure how these differences will translate in variations in the app cycle, though... especially with the new traffic rules in the admissions process.

Yeah, that's something interesting to think about... MD-PhD programs receive far less applications than MD-only, but it seems that MD-PhD have much smaller admissions committees as well. And it also seems to be something very variable between schools, as some schools may review MD-PhD apps exclusively through a dedicated adcom for those, while others may initially have the app pass through the regular MD adcom before reaching the MD-PhD one. Not sure how these differences will translate in variations in the app cycle, though... especially with the new traffic rules in the admissions process.
MD admissions is high-throughput. It uses algorithms and hard cutoffs to determine who to interview. With some exceptions for the extreme outliers (>50th percentile MCATs), MD-PhD programs actually read all applications and look for non-quantitative indicators of success. It takes longer to make a Maserati than to make a Ford.

Reactions: 7 users