General Admissions & OTCAS 2018 Application Advice/Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

w.amanda96

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm currently obtaining my bachelor's in psychology and plan on graduating this summer (Aug 2017). This will be almost one year earlier than my expected graduation, so I am contemplating on applying to grad school this year! However, I do not feel fully prepared in that I haven't racked up many observation hours (only about 30-40) and I plan on retaking an A&P class during the summer. What are your opinions on a gap year? Should I just apply to a few programs to understand the application process? If I'm not accepted, should I just aim to get more observation hours?
My stats are: 3.6 overall GPA, 3.5-3.6 pre-req GPA
I'm really indecisive here!

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have a lot of unique experiences from undergrad that would make you stand out? If not, I would highly recommend taking a gap year. From what I've learned, it's important to have all your ducks in a row since this has become such a competitive field! During my undergrad, I honestly didn't have much to make me stand out and my application wouldn't have been as strong back then. Since graduating, I served in an AmeriCorps program for a year, gained some relevant work experience, and racked up over 200 observation hours in a few different settings. From those experiences, I was able to get some great recommendations and it gave me material for my personal statement. I also had to go back and take a handful of prerequisites, but I made sure to get A's in all of them. So yes it did take a few years to build up my application, but I felt much more confident going into the process. You are still so young and there is no need to rush into it. Take some time off, learn more about yourself, make your application the best it can be, and you'll have a higher chance of getting in the first time around :)

Reactions: 1 user
Do you have a lot of unique experiences from undergrad that would make you stand out? If not, I would highly recommend taking a gap year. From what I've learned, it's important to have all your ducks in a row since this has become such a competitive field! During my undergrad, I honestly didn't have much to make me stand out and my application wouldn't have been as strong back then. Since graduating, I served in an AmeriCorps program for a year, gained some relevant work experience, and racked up over 200 observation hours in a few different settings. From those experiences, I was able to get some great recommendations and it gave me material for my personal statement. I also had to go back and take a handful of prerequisites, but I made sure to get A's in all of them. So yes it did take a few years to build up my application, but I felt much more confident going into the process. You are still so young and there is no need to rush into it. Take some time off, learn more about yourself, make your application the best it can be, and you'll have a higher chance of getting in the first time around :)

I am currently a research assistant at my University under a clinical psychologist, so it isn't completely related to the field. Thank you for the advice! I think I will retake prerequisite courses that I received B's in, and look more into volunteering! Also, I don't want to be rushed into taking the GRE. I appreciate the feedback :)
Would volunteering hours count as separate from observation hours?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently a research assistant at my University under a clinical psychologist, so it isn't completely related to the field. Thank you for the advice! I think I will retake prerequisite courses that I received B's in, and look more into volunteering! Also, I don't want to be rushed into taking the GRE. I appreciate the feedback :)
Would volunteering hours count as separate from observation hours?

If you're volunteering in a setting alongside a licensed OT and can have them sign off on hours, then it would count. But you need to be directly working with or observing a therapist.

I think it would be really beneficial for you to apply to schools that require interviews. Schools that conduct interviews tend to take your personality and personal experiences into consideration as much as your GPA. I am in a similar boat. I finished my degree a full year early and though I had a ton of experience, (about 500 OT/Rehab hours and 250 direct patient care volunteer hours), my feedback from schools was that my prerequisite GPA was much lower than other applicants. Unfortunately, 3.6 overall is lower than what most schools want. And anything under a 3.8 pre-req GPA wise isn't optimal. I've been waitlisted at every school I applied to that didn't have interviews and have been offered an interview at every school that conducted interviews. Research the programs you are interested in and gear your path towards those.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
I think it would be really beneficial for you to apply to schools that require interviews. Schools that conduct interviews tend to take your personality and personal experiences into consideration as much as your GPA. I am in a similar boat. I finished my degree a full year early and though I had a ton of experience, (about 500 OT/Rehab hours and 250 direct patient care volunteer hours), my feedback from schools was that my prerequisite GPA was much lower than other applicants. Unfortunately, 3.6 overall is lower than what most schools want. And anything under a 3.8 pre-req GPA wise isn't optimal. I've been waitlisted at every school I applied to that didn't have interviews and have been offered an interview at every school that conducted interviews. Research the programs you are interested in and gear your path towards those.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Wow, those are competitive GPAs! I am from Texas (Houston), and will be applying to only in-state schools with TWU and UTMB as my first choices. From what I have read, it sounds like I should retake my lower graded courses and hope to get as close to a 4.0 as possible, while racking up on experience and hours. Also, I'd be extremely rushed into taking the GRE, which isn't a good idea. Thank you! May I ask you what schools you applied to?

Hello! I just wanted to say I made the mistake of applying this year (my senior year in undergrad) and received all rejections. I had around 100 OT hours, a 3.2 overall and prerq GPA. I had no idea how competitive this process was and wish someone had told me before spending $1000 on applications! Now I am going to retake a few classes and get close to 200 hours along with better LORs. Your GPA is much higher than mine so you might have a better chance than I did, but I would recommend really creating a strong application. I just threw anything on my OTCAS (including a lousy personal statement) and got my heart broken 7 times. It's okay though, we live and learn but it definitely hurt getting those rejections! If you don't mind waited a year (or even half a year) I would say 100% WAIT!

Reactions: 5 users
if you haven't applied yet I'm assuming you're applying during this next upcoming cycle? idk if any schools are still accepting apps that's why I'm asking. the next cycle means you would be starting either next summer or fall so isn't that kind of a gap year there if you're graduating this summer? that's enough time to get more volunteer hours/experience. I guess I'm not understanding the timeline.

i say get it over as soon as possible. life is expensive. and gets more and more so the older you get.

Personally, I took a gap year off because I knew the stats I had right when I graduated wasn't going to be enough. I wanted to get more volunteer hours, in different settings and possibly do a job that was relevant to OT. I did all of the above and was able to get into 3 schools when I applied :) I feel that if I were to of applied right out of college I wouldn't have made it. If you are taking the GRE, I would definitely suggest using that gap year to study thoroughly and do well on that exam.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm applying this August for 2018. Will be my first time applying, i'm super nervous because I know how competitive it is and am not sure if my application will be strong enough but I am going to try anyway. Any advice for me for applications and interviews?

I'm going to apply to Samuel Merritt, Pacific University, Midwestern - Glendale, and A.T. Still

I'm working with a professional on my personal statement to make it the best it can possibly be to help make my app stronger.

I majored in Psychology and graduated in 2015 from San Francisco State University
Cumulative GPA is 3.4
Volunteer hours: 40 in a Skilled Nursing Facility in Rehab center. 30 in Hand Therapy. and I got a job at a Pediatric Clinic running the OT program and so far have worked 50 hours there, but by the time I apply should be over 100 hours.

I also work as a Behavioral Therapist for children with Autism.

Will have Physiology & Medical Terminology left to complete for pre reqs.

Samuel Merritt is my top choice, I've met with the admissions counselor there, attended an online seminar about the OTD program, and also attended an in person seminar about the OTD program.

I want this so bad!

Thanks!