2018 DAT Study Materials HELP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InProgess

Reaction score
I am planning to take the DAT by the end of this summer, but I am not applying until next year, Fall 2019. I am still pretty new to this field so I don't really have an idea how to go about this but would appreciate all the help I can get!

Materials
I would like to know what materials/books are crucial for the DAT?
-DAT Destroyer?
-Cliffs biology(would this be good enough to cover everything?)
Note: I am a better visual learner than I am just trying to read a paragraph and understand it. Math and reading comprehension are some of my weak points.

I am also taking a light load of classes and working once a week for maybe a couple hours. Do you guys think I have enough time to study until early September to take the DAT given that I study for about 6-8 hours during the week, and maybe 8-11 hours on the weekends? I really do not want to study during the school year(fall-spring) if I do not have to since I want to focus on my pre-reqs. However, say something does happen and I have to postpone my exam date until next year, does the DAT change? Such as the amount and type of material compared to the test in 2018?

Studying
For studying, what is the best way to approach this? My studying style is very long since I like to write everything out. I have finished gen chem, bio, ochem, calc but I'm not one to remember the material afterwards... For ochem, is it more mechanism based? Or is it predicting the product?

Any other suggestions/tips about preparing for the DAT would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am planning to take the DAT by the end of this summer, but I am not applying until next year, Fall 2019.
If you're applying to start Fall 2019, that would be this year's cycle. Otherwise you will apply June 2019, to start Fall 2020.

Materials
I would like to know what materials/books are crucial for the DAT?
-DAT Destroyer?
-Cliffs biology(would this be good enough to cover everything?)
Note: I am a better visual learner than I am just trying to read a paragraph and understand it. Math and reading comprehension are some of my weak points.

I am also taking a light load of classes and working once a week for maybe a couple hours. Do you guys think I have enough time to study until early September to take the DAT given that I study for about 6-8 hours during the week, and maybe 8-11 hours on the weekends? I really do not want to study during the school year(fall-spring) if I do not have to since I want to focus on my pre-reqs. However, say something does happen and I have to postpone my exam date until next year, does the DAT change? Such as the amount and type of material compared to the test in 2018?

Studying
For studying, what is the best way to approach this? My studying style is very long since I like to write everything out. I have finished gen chem, bio, ochem, calc but I'm not one to remember the material afterwards... For ochem, is it more mechanism based? Or is it predicting the product?

Any other suggestions/tips about preparing for the DAT would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
DAT Destroyer and DAT Bootcamp are the top two resources you'll need. For content review, there are a wide variety of resources for Bio, like Cliff's as you mentioned, but it doesn't have many pictures. Since you're a visual learner, try either the Bootcamp Bio Notes (on Bootcamp website) or the Dynamite Bio Review (via the DAT Destroyer's FB Study Group). The Kaplan Blue Book isn't bad either to put a foundation in place, but IT IS NOT comprehensive.
For Math, watch Khan Academy videos to get the basics back, and then practice with the Math Destroyer (not necessarily the QR section of the DAT Destroyer; Math Destroyer is a separate book, split up into tests to mimic the DAT).
For Reading, a lot of people suggest reading Scientific American articles, as these are similar in style/structure to what are on the real thing.
For GC/OC, Mike's videos (included with Bootcamp) or Chad's videos are what people commonly use for content review.
For PAT, this is mostly practiced with the Bootcamp generators
I think it's definitely possible to score well after studying for the summer, as this is what I did :) If you have to postpone it, the DAT does not usually change drastically year to year- you should be fine.

For studying, use this thread (DAT Breakdown Compilation Thread (future test takers, look here!)) to see how recent test takers studied so that you can come up with a study plan.

In regards to your question about ochem, here is a guide on what the DAT tests you on (refer to pages 5-8): 2018 DAT Guide.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
If you're applying to start Fall 2019, that would be this year's cycle. Otherwise you will apply June 2019, to start Fall 2020.

DAT Destroyer and DAT Bootcamp are the top two resources you'll need. For content review, there are a wide variety of resources for Bio, like Cliff's as you mentioned, but it doesn't have many pictures. Since you're a visual learner, try either the Bootcamp Bio Notes (on Bootcamp website) or the Dynamite Bio Review (via the DAT Destroyer's FB Study Group). The Kaplan Blue Book isn't bad either to put a foundation in place, but IT IS NOT comprehensive.
For Math, watch Khan Academy videos to get the basics back, and then practice with the Math Destroyer (not necessarily the QR section of the DAT Destroyer; Math Destroyer is a separate book, split up into tests to mimic the DAT).
For Reading, a lot of people suggest reading Scientific American articles, as these are similar in style/structure to what are on the real thing.
For GC/OC, Mike's videos (included with Bootcamp) or Chad's videos are what people commonly use for content review.
For PAT, this is mostly practiced with the Bootcamp generators
I think it's definitely possible to score well after studying for the summer, as this is what I did :) If you have to postpone it, the DAT does not usually change drastically year to year- you should be fine.

For studying, use this thread (DAT Breakdown Compilation Thread (future test takers, look here!)) to see how recent test takers studied so that you can come up with a study plan.

In regards to your question about ochem, here is a guide on what the DAT tests you on (refer to pages 5-8): 2018 DAT Guide.

Good luck!

Thank you!! (also, I am applying to start in Summer quarter/Fall 2020 but I wanted to take the DAT earlier so I wouldn't have to worry about it next spring/summer when I begin to apply)

Question, does it matter what edition of cliffs I use? I see a lot of people mentioning 3rd but those were from a year or 2 ago.

My planned schedule:

7-10 hours everyday for the first 5ish weeks until I've learned everything
-Following bootcamp's 10 week schedule but probably going to combine one and a half or 2 days worth of material to a single day
-2-3 hrs on bio: Read around half to one section of cliffs notes everyday(~10-20 pages) with handwritten notes and watch some bootcamp bio notes
-1 hr on PAT bootcamp
-1 hr or more on QR(Khan playlist)
-2 hr on Chads/mikes vids and quizzes
-1 hr on DAT destroyer
-1 hour review all material learned for the day
-Read one science article before bed

8-11 hours everyday for the last 4-5 weeks for review
-Bootcamp tests
-Review all material and flashcards
-Math destroyer
-2009 sample test

Is this a good schedule to follow or is it a bit too much? Am I missing anything important? Thanks again! :)

Question, does it matter what edition of cliffs I use? I see a lot of people mentioning 3rd but those were from a year or 2 ago.
I personally didn't use Cliffs but people said that the later editions took out a lot of the material- they weren't needed on the AP test anymore but you still needed to know them for the DAT. So that's why the 3rd edition is the one that has everything you need.
My planned schedule:

7-10 hours everyday for the first 5ish weeks until I've learned everything
-Following bootcamp's 10 week schedule but probably going to combine one and a half or 2 days worth of material to a single day
-2-3 hrs on bio: Read around half to one section of cliffs notes everyday(~10-20 pages) with handwritten notes and watch some bootcamp bio notes
-1 hr on PAT bootcamp
-1 hr or more on QR(Khan playlist)
-2 hr on Chads/mikes vids and quizzes
-1 hr on DAT destroyer
-1 hour review all material learned for the day
-Read one science article before bed

8-11 hours everyday for the last 4-5 weeks for review
-Bootcamp tests
-Review all material and flashcards
-Math destroyer
-2009 sample test

Is this a good schedule to follow or is it a bit too much? Am I missing anything important? Thanks again! :)
Personally, a red flag I saw was with your first line, "but probably going to combine"...it's a LOT of material, and it can get boring at times. You said earlier that you write everything out, and Cliff's is packed, dry, and dense. 10-20 pages will not take you two hours, probably four since it takes some time to understand what it is exactly that you're reading. Writing notes out but not remembering the material (as you said in your first post) doesn't help.

I think instead of doing something like this, take it one day at a time or try it out first and modify, because you're putting a lot on one day.

Reactions: 1 users