2018 NAPLEX - how to study?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2017PharmD2be

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
How should I study for the 2018 version? Is it going to be much different from 2017 version? What study materials are you using? Your advice is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Is it hard to register for the NAPLEX in July? Do the spaces fill up fast?

Registering is never the problem.

Scheduling is and that process goes completely through Pearson. The more Pearson testing centers you have in your area, the more spaces that is offered.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hear somewhere that you can find whether your pass or not BEFORE you have received your score. How is this possible?
There are a few posts, but those all relate to states that mail the scores and do not update the score on the NABP website. Just sit back and wait, nothing to be gained from fretting.

I hear somewhere that you can find whether your pass or not BEFORE you have received your score. How is this possible?

After you took the NAPLEX, try to register to take it again. If they don't let you then that means you have passed. I think that is how it works...someone confirm?

Can you retake it if you already passed? I think I would need to take nablex in California bc we did not reciprocate with them in Illinois when I graduated in 94. I actually saw a job position that did if you didn’t pass after 2012 need not apply . So was thinking about taking it now and putting that test on resume.....

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Can you retake it if you already passed? I think I would need to take nablex in California bc we did not reciprocate with them in Illinois when I graduated in 94. I actually saw a job position that did if you didn’t pass after 2012 need not apply . So was thinking about taking it now and putting that test on resume.....

That seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen. Surely that is blatant age discrimination?

Don't you have to take the CPJE? Did the pass the NAPLEX in 1994?

I think you would need to retake the naplex if you took it before 2004 and did not reciprocate.

Hi, I noticed your post! I just wanted to reach out. If you or anyone else on this thread are still preparing for the Naplex I wanted to provide you with information on the course I took that I had a lot of success with! I am now an advocate for them. It's called PassNaplexNow (My score increase by 40 points). It also includes assistance for CPJE if you are planning on getting license in California. I had also used Kaplan and RxPrep. Unfortunately, I did not have much success (one is not near as detailed as needed and the other is so overwhelming) with those courses. If you would like more information please contact me! I also have a discount code I can provide any of you if you are interested. Best of luck!
I am using RxPrep and feel like it's so overwhelming. I have been considering buying the PassNaplexNow, but it is so expensive!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am using RxPrep and feel like it's so overwhelming. I have been considering buying the PassNaplexNow, but it is so expensive!

RxPrep was good enough for me. In fact, I still carry it with me to work. lol. very good tool to use in my opinion.

Repetition and timing is the key. Especially with calc and stat portion. Getting bogged down could hurt you so make sure you time yourself on those online calc questions. Make sure to get it down to less than 2-3 mins per calc/stat question... i think. it's been awhile since I took it haha

qty dispensed or any hospital drug that is likely to be on the board exam!

You should be able to find this info easily. They are not going to ask you number 103 hospital drugs. Most likely it will be the 20 most commonly prescribed hospital drugs. I am sure you can guess that. If not, look at Kaiser inpatient formulary.

has anyone taken the naplex lately? are these calculation questions still useful?

I feel like the sdn calculations are harder than the actual naplex calculation problems. If you can do those calculations, you shouldn't have problem with the naplex calculations

Took it this past week. Extremely difficult exam (do not know my score yet, not confident, at all). The SDN 120 calcs were heavy on mEq and mOsmol/L conversions and the exam had maybe 2-5 q's on that max. Felt like I got trolled on that based on how many hours I put into calc. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Took it this past week. Extremely difficult exam (do not know my score yet, not confident, at all). The SDN 120 calcs were heavy on mEq and mOsmol/L conversions and the exam had maybe 2-5 q's on that max. Felt like I got trolled on that based on how many hours I put into calc. Good luck.

Best of luck buddy. I heard everyone walks out of that exam feeling like they failed. I'm still waiting to get my ATT.

The Rxprep book should be a review of what you already know. Review the big boys like diabetes, asthma & copd and everything heart related. Learn chemo man and try to learn brand generic for the HIV drugs but dont spend the majority of your time on oncology and HIV. Know you CYP inhibitors/inducers. The math portion in the rxprep book is really all you need...that 120 question thing that people use is an overkill and a waste of time. Its impossible to know everything. The law is exam is going to be much more difficult than the NAPLEX.

Study as though its going to be your profession. Know drugs in and out like you knew the options on your favorite car. Know drugs and their use like a Marine knows how to reassemble his M16 blindfolded, with one hand under enemy fire. Be able to form an argument on when to use and when not to use drugs.

Do this and the and you will be asking for the NAPLEX to made harder.
Do this or just review and take the exam...its not that difficult.

Dude! I took it this past week also. Glad to hear I wasn't the only one who thought the exam was rough. I took the Pre-Naplex and did well. Got a 121. However, after taking the exam I am pretty nervous. I'm hoping that the weeks of studying actually paid off. Do you know how long we have to wait to get our score?

Dude! I took it this past week also. Glad to hear I wasn't the only one who thought the exam was rough. I took the Pre-Naplex and did well. Got a 121. However, after taking the exam I am pretty nervous. I'm hoping that the weeks of studying actually paid off. Do you know how long we have to wait to get our score?
Prob within the next few days

So for those that took the NAPLEX already and got their scores. Did your expectations match the score your received? And what advice would you give the rest of us aspiring to write the exam soon ?

So for those that took the NAPLEX already and got their scores. Did your expectations match the score your received? And what advice would you give the rest of us aspiring to write the exam soon ?

Just recently passed the NAPLEX with triple digits (also passed MPJE). Took NAPLEX June 9th and MPJE June 12th.
I studied 4 weeks for the NAPLEX and 3 days for the MPJE using the standard materials as everyone else (RxPrep, etc.).
I would not go as far as to say this exam was easy like you hear most people say on this website..."oh I didn't even study and passed, blah blah..." If I could slap a difficulty on it, it would be anywhere from above average to hard difficulty.

To answer your question, my expectations did match my results. I took the PreNaplex twice and my NAPLEX score fell within the range of those two exams. This exam is very broad so I would focus on the basics because they can ask you ANYTHING. My exam flipped from PAH to CF to depression to non-sterile compounding to chemical drug hazardous handling to oncology, etc...

The safest way to know if you are ready will be based on your PreNaplex scores. It's usually +/- 10 of your PreNaplex.

Best of luck.

To just pass? The exam is easy.

To do well? As in to feel like you are in complete control of the exam for the full duration? Difficult.

Just recently passed the NAPLEX with triple digits (also passed MPJE). Took NAPLEX June 9th and MPJE June 12th.
I studied 4 weeks for the NAPLEX and 3 days for the MPJE using the standard materials as everyone else (RxPrep, etc.).
I would not go as far as to say this exam was easy like you hear most people say on this website..."oh I didn't even study and passed, blah blah..." If I could slap a difficulty on it, it would be anywhere from above average to hard difficulty.

To answer your question, my expectations did match my results. I took the PreNaplex twice and my NAPLEX score fell within the range of those two exams. This exam is very broad so I would focus on the basics because they can ask you ANYTHING. My exam flipped from PAH to CF to depression to non-sterile compounding to chemical drug hazardous handling to oncology, etc...

The safest way to know if you are ready will be based on your PreNaplex scores. It's usually +/- 10 of your PreNaplex.

Best of luck.
Hi Nguyen, did you use RxPrep MPJE federal law for your law test study material? Thanks

Hi Nguyen, did you use RxPrep MPJE federal law for your law test study material? Thanks

I used the practice guides that the BOP puts on their website. Nothing else. I looked over some BNDD/DEA materials too. Plus taking the MPJE in your home state where you have retail experience helps a lot.

Best of luck.
Hi, how long did it take you receive your mpje score since u took test?

For thia exam you can prefer naplexqbank.com. website. Whatever material you have related to this test you can read or learn from there properly. Also you take take some help from the privious question paper. Previously, only a portion of the test included new questions. These questions were only for validation purposes.

Latest CPJE results are in! 22% failure rate:

http://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/publications/0417_0917_stats.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man, i dunno who makes these state law questions but they need a serious lashing man.....those questions are pure garbage. Ambiguous, Vague, multiple correct answers...etc....it's like they take the law, and instead of asking you straightforward questions about practicing and application, you get some scenario with buffy the nurse practitioner from ohio phoning in a phenobarb Rx out of state for a dog, then all these weird K-TYPE questions/resolutions. (i literally remember that from CO law, i looked down, laughed and guessed) .. Law exams are MUCH harder than naplex in my opinion,

Study as though its going to be your profession. Know drugs in and out like you knew the options on your favorite car. Know drugs and their use like a Marine knows how to reassemble his M16 blindfolded, with one hand under enemy fire. Be able to form an argument on when to use and when not to use drugs.

Do this and the and you will be asking for the NAPLEX to made harder.

Glad you mentioned that, because i hear they ARE making the naplex harder..... good luck!

yeah, study on the weekends and 1 hr every night

so 2 months is enough study time to pass both naplex and law exam? that month off from rotation i won't be working so i'll have a lot of time to go hard

A lot of time to go hard huh? LOL....just focus on studying bro....

These estimates are all based on personal experience. Time frames may vary depending on what state you are in and which testing centers are near by.

After graduation, it takes about 1-2 weeks to get your confirmation to test. It will then take 2-3 weeks to get an open test slot for the NAPLEX if you are willing to travel or 4-6 weeks if you prefer not to travel. The MPJE is a much shorter test, so it’s not as hard to find a testing slot. After you pass both tests, it takes about 2 weeks to be granted a pharmacist license.

Again, these are just estimates based on personal experience. I was licensed in my first state 6 weeks after graduation.

Why are you taking it again?

Thank you so much for the recommendations! I did take the NAPLEX in 2017 but unfortunately, I did not pass. I need to do better this time around.

Has anyone taken it recently? How was it compared to the 2017 version?

PRONTO PASS....i understand not everyone will agree with every method but it helped me through Naplex. Useless for any law exam however. I learned the hard way, they just send you the state statues (which you can print yourself) and some flash cards about compounding and federal law (which are pretty useless).