2018 NAPLEX - how to study?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2017PharmD2be

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
How should I study for the 2018 version? Is it going to be much different from 2017 version? What study materials are you using? Your advice is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

My intern recently took the 2017 NAPLEX and he passed with flying colors. He basically used the same study materials and strategies as I did. He used the Pharmacy Charts and RxPrep. He went back and forth between them. I was told the 120 SDN calculations are harder than the actual NAPLEX calculations. Calculations are easy points so make sure you get them right.

2018 Pharmacy Charts: 2018 Edition Pharmacy Charts - NAPLEX, CPJE RX Review | eBay

2018 Rxprep: RxPrep Course Book 2018 Edition: A Comprehensive Course for the NAPLEX. New! 1495185443 | eBay

SDN 120 Calculation: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/sdn-calculation-120-questions.1010043/

Did you take the 2017 version?

Reactions: 1 user
I do not believe they will differ much and RxPrep will cover those differences anyways. @forteo provided a great list, I'd add Quizlet to that list, just search for "NAPLEX 2018". I personally did not use the SDN calculations or the Pharmacy Charts but I'm sure they can't hurt. The RxPrep calculations were adequate for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe the new third part should be coming in 2018. I have not heard anything beyond the initial announcement about it.

Anybody think 2017 NAPLEX passage results will be better than 2016?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think the passing rates will increase until schools bribe them to make it easier.

Reactions: 1 users
My intern recently took the 2017 NAPLEX and he passed with flying colors. He basically used the same study materials and strategies as I did. He used the Pharmacy Charts and RxPrep. He went back and forth between them. I was told the 120 SDN calculations are harder than the actual NAPLEX calculations. Calculations are easy points so make sure you get them right.

Did you take the 2017 version?

Thank you so much for the recommendations! I did take the NAPLEX in 2017 but unfortunately, I did not pass. I need to do better this time around.

Has anyone taken it recently? How was it compared to the 2017 version?

I don't think the passing rates will increase until schools bribe them to make it easier.

my student is telling me his school naplex pass rate is higher this year. Not sure if it is nationwide but last year was exceptional low.

Go through the practice book at least twice if you can. Do the end of chapter questions and also the test bank questions. Do a lot of reading.

I think some schools got worried and they prepared their students better. I would not be surprise if the pass rate went up in 2017.

Here's the passage rate from 2005 to 2016 (first attempt):

2005: 91%
2006: 93%
2007: 96% (started pharmacy school in 2003: everybody and their mom wanted to go to pharmacy school)
2008: 97% (Great Recession hit)
2009: 96%
2010: 94%
2011: 95%
2012: 97% (pharmacy saturation hits/schools started to lower their standards)
2013: 96%
2014: 95%
2015: 92% (start of the decline)
2016: 86%

Pharmacy School NAPLEX Pass Rates (2005-Present) - ClinCalc.com

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all,
Im actually planning on taking the NAPLEX this year, hopefully in a couple of months. Anyone know how long does it take to register for the NAPLEX? To be more specific, how long after I pay for it, do I get the ability to pick a date and time?

Hello all,
Im actually planning on taking the NAPLEX this year, hopefully in a couple of months. Anyone know how long does it take to register for the NAPLEX? To be more specific, how long after I pay for it, do I get the ability to pick a date and time?
I don't remember exactly but I remember it took about 30 days for them to process the paperwork that you send in. And then you can register online. Honestly maybe 2 months.

how much time should i reserve for studying for the NAPLEX and law exam? i have my last rotation off so i'm done 3/26. i was thinking i'll start studying at that time, so about 3 months of preparation. is that enough to pass?

how much time should i reserve for studying for the NAPLEX and law exam? i have my last rotation off so i'm done 3/26. i was thinking i'll start studying at that time, so about 3 months of preparation. is that enough to pass?
do 6 weeks naplex thoroughly by reading and test bank and then another 6 weeks at a faster pace, redo questions and look at weak spots. Then do 2 weeks after that for cpje.

If you work during that time, it will be harder but i have friends who did it while working. Personally i didnt work while studying.

Enjoy your month off and start studying the month after.

Are you also planning to work?

Give yourself at least 2 weeks between the exams when you schedule. I did my boards in Ga, so we had to do a Wet Lab + the Naplex and law exam. I scheduled the naplex the week after the wet lab and the law exam the week after that. The wet lab was a joke and I way over studied for the Naplex, but only having that week before the law exam was rough.
Assuming you had decent rotations and at least mostly retained stuff from class, yes 1 month is more than enough to study for the Naplex, just use the SDN calc Q's and RxPrep. For the law, read through the federal law book a couple of times and then read through and take notes of the law documents for your state. I really don't feel like other sources I used for the Law exam were any help.

I also take 3 months to study. The problem is by the end of the 3rd month, I have already forgotten what I learned during the first month.

Hello all,
These estimates are all based on personal experience. Time frames may vary depending on what state you are in and which testing centers are near by.

After graduation, it takes about 1-2 weeks to get your confirmation to test. It will then take 2-3 weeks to get an open test slot for the NAPLEX if you are willing to travel or 4-6 weeks if you prefer not to travel. The MPJE is a much shorter test, so it’s not as hard to find a testing slot. After you pass both tests, it takes about 2 weeks to be granted a pharmacist license.

Again, these are just estimates based on personal experience. I was licensed in my first state 6 weeks after graduation.

I also take 3 months to study. The problem is by the end of the 3rd month, I have already forgotten what I learned during the first month.
i'm gonna do cumulative review, build upon what i learn. studying for an exam shouldn't be that hard. it's easy to pass a test when you have so much time to prepare for it

Has anyone taken Arkansas law? How did you study?
UAMS students were lucky enough to take the law exam immediately after finishing a semester of law class. I wonder if material from that class is available digitally?

Last edited by a moderator:
Give yourself at least 2 weeks between the exams when you schedule. I did my boards in Ga, so we had to do a Wet Lab + the Naplex and law exam. I scheduled the naplex the week after the wet lab and the law exam the week after that. The wet lab was a joke and I way over studied for the Naplex, but only having that week before the law exam was rough.

Is GA wet lab similar to NY compounding exam? What is the pass rate?

Is GA wet lab similar to NY compounding exam? What is the pass rate?

From my understanding it is fairly similar. Seems the NY compounding exam is a bit more strict (I heard at one point you have to show proper 797 technique, which is not required on the Ga Wet Lab).

It sounds complicated and difficult, but it was not really bad at all. I think the pass rate is pretty high and, for most who fail, it is usually due to an error in calculation on the compound section.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the passage rate from 2005 to 2016 (first attempt):

2005: 91%
2006: 93%
2007: 96% (started pharmacy school in 2003: everybody and their mom wanted to go to pharmacy school)
2008: 97% (Great Recession hit)
2009: 96%
2010: 94%
2011: 95%
2012: 97% (pharmacy saturation hits/schools started to lower their standards)

https://nabp.pharmacy/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/NAPLEX-Pass-Rates-2017.pdf

Class of 2017 passage rate is 81.96%, just 2% higher than the class of 2016 graduates. It was in the high 90s when I graduate.

Discuss!

NAPLEX was compromised, leading to a frozen test and complete rework. Previously, only a portion of the test included new questions. These questions were only for validation purposes. In 2016, a completely new test with all new questions was introduced. Most speculate that this was the reason for poor performance, as many schools were training for specific success with NAPLEX. I believe it is a symptom of poor education.. but that is my own conjecture. Not sure about other states, but Florida changed its MPJE in 2016 as well Link: Florida Board of Pharmacy » MPJE Test Changes in April- Licensing, Renewals & Information If this were to happen in other states, it would account for the drop in tests for MPJE.

As a data point - I studied 5 days for the Florida MPJE after attending pharmacy school in Oregon. I wouldn't do that again, but I definitely wouldn't spend more than two weeks.

NAPLEX was compromised, leading to a frozen test and complete rework. Previously, only a portion of the test included new questions. These questions were only for validation purposes. In 2016, a completely new test with all new questions was introduced. Most speculate that this was the reason for poor performance, as many schools were training for specific success with NAPLEX. I believe it is a symptom of poor education.. but that is my own conjecture. Not sure about other states, but Florida changed its MPJE in 2016 as well Link: Florida Board of Pharmacy » MPJE Test Changes in April- Licensing, Renewals & Information If this were to happen in other states, it would account for the drop in tests for MPJE.

As a data point - I studied 5 days for the Florida MPJE after attending pharmacy school in Oregon. I wouldn't do that again, but I definitely wouldn't spend more than two weeks.

What year was the naplex compromised? I have not heard anything about this.

NAPLEX was compromised, leading to a frozen test and complete rework. Previously, only a portion of the test included new questions. These questions were only for validation purposes.

Are you talking about 2007? Flynn notes?

How should I study for the 2018 version? Is it going to be much different from 2017 version? What study materials are you using? Your advice is greatly appreciated!

Study as though its going to be your profession. Know drugs in and out like you knew the options on your favorite car. Know drugs and their use like a Marine knows how to reassemble his M16 blindfolded, with one hand under enemy fire. Be able to form an argument on when to use and when not to use drugs.

Do this and the and you will be asking for the NAPLEX to made harder.

Study as though its going to be your profession. Know drugs in and out like you knew the options on your favorite car. Know drugs and their use like a Marine knows how to reassemble his M16 blindfolded, with one hand under enemy fire. Be able to form an argument on when to use and when not to use drugs.

Do this and the and you will be asking for the NAPLEX to made harder.

Can you be more specific?