[2019-2020] Emergency Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone completed their SVI? Is the AAMC practice questions adequate prep or were you blindsided with topics?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone completed their SVI? Is the AAMC practice questions adequate prep or were you blindsided with topics?

I did it. The questions were exactly what you'd expect: "Tell me about a time when you were culturally competent blah blah". Basically very similar to the practice questions in the pdf thingy. The time per question goes faster than you think. I guess I feel pretty meh about it--I guess I don't think I scored in the bottom 10% which i guess is really all that matters, but what do I know.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I did it. The questions were exactly what you'd expect: "Tell me about a time when you were culturally competent blah blah". Basically very similar to the practice questions in the pdf thingy. The time per question goes faster than you think. I guess I feel pretty meh about it--I guess I don't think I scored in the bottom 10% which i guess is really all that matters, but what do I know.
I think ima just wing it, did you go in with any type of strategy or just blah

I read the guide, that's about it. I'm just glad it's over haha

Reactions: 1 users
AAMC offers two practice SVIs. I did the two practice runs and rolled right into the real SVI. By the time I got to the real deal I was warmed up and familiar with the format. Highly recommend.

Hi all, just wondering if anyone has had any experience rotating at Ohio Valley Med Center, WV...any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I think ima just wing it, did you go in with any type of strategy or just blah
Not sure why you would want to wing this. But to each their own. I took it Friday. I suggest having a lot of examples of patient encounters at the top of your head.

Just finished the SVI. Not TOO bad. Worst part is the 30sec to prepare, but you're given 3 minutes so even if you have to Michael Scott your way to something coherent, ya got time.

For practice I read through the sample questions on the aamc and did the 3 practice questions on the SVI webclient-thingy. Shirt, tie, gym shorts. Took down a few posters, but left the flag of the Stars and Stripes hanging in full glory (Today...we celeberate our INDEPENDENCE DAY)

Reactions: 7 users
Just finished the SVI. Not TOO bad. Worst part is the 30sec to prepare, but you're given 3 minutes so even if you have to Michael Scott your way to something coherent, ya got time.

For practice I read through the sample questions on the aamc and did the 3 practice questions on the SVI webclient-thingy. Shirt, tie, gym shorts. Took down a few posters, but left the flag of the Stars and Stripes hanging in full glory (Today...we celeberate our INDEPENDENCE DAY)
nice

Just did my SVI
Mostly BSed everything
Think it turned out pretty good but who knows

Reactions: 2 users
Is anyone doing an away in Nov/Dec? I took a spot at a program that I would really like to match at. Just concerned that it’s during the peak of interview season

Is anyone doing an away in Nov/Dec? I took a spot at a program that I would really like to match at. Just concerned that it’s during the peak of interview season

Yeah don't worry about that; programs totally understand you have to go for interviews. They should have the best interest of the trainees at heart, and that means accommodating students to allow for a few interviews. If they don't want to accommodate, then you probably want to reconsider how much you like that program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah don't worry about that; programs totally understand you have to go for interviews. They should have the best interest of the trainees at heart, and that means accommodating students to allow for a few interviews. If they don't want to accommodate, then you probably want to reconsider how much you like that program.

Agreed, if they're this inflexible for you as a medical student just imagine what it must be like to be a resident there.

Agreed, if they're this inflexible for you as a medical student just imagine what it must be like to be a resident there.

Agree with this too. I auditioned at a program in Nov last year that was extremely inflexible and rude about rearranging my schedule to go to interviews. They hinted that I should give more of my energy to their program than going to other interviews. Completely turned me off from the program. I would just reach out and double check with them when it gets closer to your audition just to make sure.

Sooooo I just did my SVI, thought I was doing the practice one BUT apparently I misclicked and was doing the real one, good thing I didn't swear on camera or stand up to show my shorts or something.

On the plus side, I was very relaxed cos I thought I was doing a practice one. However I'm sure I barely answered 1-2 questions cos in my head I was like this question is dumb, so I'm gonna be that applicant with the 1st percentile SVI.

Sooooo I just did my SVI, thought I was doing the practice one BUT apparently I misclicked and was doing the real one, good thing I didn't swear on camera or stand up to show my shorts or something.

On the plus side, I was very relaxed cos I thought I was doing a practice one. However I'm sure I barely answered 1-2 questions cos in my head I was like this question is dumb, so I'm gonna be that applicant with the 1st percentile SVI.
dude wtf lol

• Haha
dude wtf lol
Yeah I don't know where it went wrong, I clicked the link from my email, made sure I was doing a practice one, then I was doing six in a row and was like what's happening here. Then I got the "AAMC has received your interview" at the end and was like well, there goes my score

Yeah I don't know where it went wrong, I clicked the link from my email, made sure I was doing a practice one, then I was doing six in a row and was like what's happening here. Then I got the "AAMC has received your interview" at the end and was like well, there goes my score

I would double check if I were you. The practice interviews say that also.

I would double check if I were you. The practice interviews say that also.

This is what I get when I click the SVI link I was getting emailed. That means I’ve done the real one, right? I also got the email with the subject “Complete: AAMC SVI for Emergency Medicine.”

I mean obviously I’d love the chance to do it again knowing it’s the real one, but it looks like I have done it lol

Attachments

• 0745B167-8A07-46DA-B02A-EBFF187E0804.jpeg
    0745B167-8A07-46DA-B02A-EBFF187E0804.jpeg
    68 KB · Views: 110

We get lots of rotating students in November (we don't have a block in December). We always accommodate schedule switches to allow for applicants to go on interviews. They do need to meet the requirements of the rotation but it is flexible enough to allow for applicants to both complete the requirements of the rotation as well as attend however many interviews they need while on rotation.

This is what I get when I click the SVI link I was getting emailed. That means I’ve done the real one, right? I also got the email with the subject “Complete: AAMC SVI for Emergency Medicine.”

I mean obviously I’d love the chance to do it again knowing it’s the real one, but it looks like I have done it lol
Yeah that’s the confirmation I got after taking the real thing. You could always try contacting them to explain the situation and see if they let you retake (if you care).

I’m not sure but I remember panicking after doing my practice because it said something similar. Check the email they sent you afterwards. It will confirm if it was the practice or not. The real one should have been 7 questions.

Are you still getting the email reminder to complete it?
No, not anymore. I called AAMC earlier but somehow their hotline for the SVI isn't available and was rerouted to their general line, and the representative told me since I received the "You completed the SVI email," that means I did the actual one.

I’m not sure but I remember panicking after doing my practice because it said something similar. Check the email they sent you afterwards. It will confirm if it was the practice or not. The real one should have been 7 questions.
I did 7 questions (the 7th one was the release to programs one right?). And the email didn't say "practice SVI" :/ I contacted AAMC via phone and also sent them a query on the SVI technical issues form, but at this point I doubt anything will come of it.

I did 7 questions (the 7th one was the release to programs one right?). And the email didn't say "practice SVI" :/ I contacted AAMC via phone and also sent them a query on the SVI technical issues form, but at this point I doubt anything will come of it.

It was probably the real one then. Just wanted you to be sure so you wouldn’t miss the deadline but it sounds like you’re good!

Rising OMS3 who just got my Step1 back. What kind of leverage does a 249 confer? I don't care much about top programs; I just want to maximize my opportunities in a specific location (Florida).

Rising OMS3 who just got my Step1 back. What kind of leverage does a 249 confer? I don't care much about top programs; I just want to maximize my opportunities in a specific location (Florida).
More leverage than a 248 but not quite as much as a 250.

• Haha
Reactions: 17 users

Will come in handy for securing rotations. After that, the strength of your app will rest 90% on your SLOEs, not your board scores.

exact same thing happened to me lol.

I won't be taking Step 2 CK until mid-October; was able to do fairly well on Step 1 so I'm not very concerned. However, what should I do when the time comes and I get my result? Do I need to contact all of the programs I'm applying to and let them know or something?

is anyone crazy enough to commit and help me with the applicant spreadsheet for this year? if so pm me pls

You could try for maybe a subspeciality sloe?

Do they have anything like an Ultrasound rotation or maybe Tox or critical care where you could get a 2nd sloe, even if it’s not quite what most programs are looking for?

Subspecialty SLOEs are not looked on as worth much, unfortunately. Also - January is super late; you’ll have realistically completed interviews by the time any subspecialty SLOE would hit and it would be variable if programs notice. The value is in the experience - as well as the bonus to you at that program if they really like you.

I won't be taking Step 2 CK until mid-October; was able to do fairly well on Step 1 so I'm not very concerned. However, what should I do when the time comes and I get my result? Do I need to contact all of the programs I'm applying to and let them know or something?

You can update your USMLE information in ERAS. Theoretically, if programs are using the ‘applicants with new information’ tag, they’ll see this. Spoiler: they probably won’t. We’ve had applicants just email and say “my Step 2 scores are in, just wanted you to know” which prompts a look and is viewed very reasonably.

Cant wait to see some of you at the U Wisconsin interview dinners :)

Hi all, just wondering if anyone has had any experience rotating at Ohio Valley Med Center, WV...any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
I am going there next week, are you there now? Or in the future?

Wondering if any of you have come across programs that require 3 SLOEs?

I'm familiar with the study that says 95% of programs will rank with ≤2 SLOEs.. meaning that there's 5% out there that want more. Just don't want to be blindsided come application time.

Well, statistically, if 95% of programs require 2 or less SLOEs, the chances of one of the programs you apply to being on that list of programs is small, and the chances that you apply to multiple of them is really unlikely. We are talking like maybe 10 EM programs in the entire country assuming the data can be believed. Seem like an unnecessary thing to worry about, but if you are really concerned with one or two specific programs (because they are one of your top ones going into this), look on their website to see if they say anything about their app requirements, and if not, just email their program coordinator and ask.

I'm a little fuzzy on the relationship between ERAS and SLOEs. Do I need to submit a letter request if I have a program writing a SLOE?

On a similar-ish note, do board scores get "uploaded" to ERAS? Is that what the "release scores" button does?

I'm a little fuzzy on the relationship between ERAS and SLOEs. Do I need to submit a letter request if I have a program writing a SLOE?
My programs had me submit a letter request, one via email and the other printing out the form and handing it to them.

On a similar-ish note, do board scores get "uploaded" to ERAS? Is that what the "release scores" button does?

You submit a LOR request to the program / SLOE author. Then they write the SLOE and upload the LOR.

What's the appropriate time to give programs?

I've been waiting 6 weeks for one

Many programs won't write them until late Aug or Sept. They write them as a group. How we do it is, we all meet as a group and decide on the SLOE rankings for all the students up until the end of Aug in the first week of Sept. Then I write them all and get them out just before the applications go live. That way, you are truly judging everyone as a group collectively, and deciding where people fall in the different tiers. Anyone that comes after that that rotates in Sept and Oct, we basically discuss at our monthly faculty meeting to decide where they fell compared to the larger group.

I thought for thr SLOE, all of the questions except for one compared the students from the current year to the year before?

I’m beginning to get the feeling that everyone is doing this differently. I was told by the program I’m rotating at that they compare rotators against each other monthly

I’m beginning to get the feeling that everyone is doing this differently. I was told by the program I’m rotating at that they compare rotators against each other monthly
Seems like a small sample size.

I thought for the SLOE, all of the questions except for one compared the students from the current year to the year before?

The last, and probably most important question, is compared to this years students, where do you anticipate ranking this candidate on your rank list.

Everyone definitely does their SLOEs differently. Some people just have one author, some have a bunch of faculty authoring them, some use a group consensus, some individual opinion, etc. The most impactful SLOEs, and what CORD recommends programs do, is write them based on group consensus.

Is Kendall Regional in Miami participating in ERAS this year? They’re not showing up.
Also, Vidant/East Carolina in Greenville is not on ERAS either.

Is Kendall Regional in Miami participating in ERAS this year? They’re not showing up.
Also, Vidant/East Carolina in Greenville is not on ERAS either.

They are listed as "incomplete registration" when you unclick "show only programs accepting applications. Looks like there are 9 programs that still have not finished registration.