[2019-2020] Emergency Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is Kendall Regional in Miami participating in ERAS this year? They’re not showing up.
Also, Vidant/East Carolina in Greenville is not on ERAS either.

I talked to them today and it should be on there now.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else completely miss the SVI and the extension time frame? Just looked at ERAS and came to the realization that I may be screwed for applying EM because of this.

Anyone else completely miss the SVI and the extension time frame? Just looked at ERAS and came to the realization that I may be screwed for applying EM because of this.

You don't need an SVI to apply

You don't need an SVI to apply

Are you certain about this? I hope this is the case. None of the program application requirement webpages list a SVI as required but I'm not sure that these websites are updated.

According to ERAS website:
Are you planning to apply for a residency position at an ACGME-accredited Emergency Medicine program? The AAMC Standardized Video Interview is required for ACGME Emergency Medicine programs. The specialty requested that all applicants complete the AAMC Standardized Video between 09:00 AM ET on June 6 and 11:59 PM ET on July 16, 2019. The deadline for the AAMC Standardized Video Interview has passed. To request an extension to take the interview please submit an Extension Request.

I won't be taking Step 2 CK until mid-October; was able to do fairly well on Step 1 so I'm not very concerned. However, what should I do when the time comes and I get my result? Do I need to contact all of the programs I'm applying to and let them know or something?

I'm in the same boat with an slightly above average Step 1. Anyone know if this will be a huge blemish to my application?

I'm in the same boat with an slightly above average Step 1. Anyone know if this will be a huge blemish to my application?

You can ask the programs when you interview if you are interviewing before you get the scores back if they want contacted when your score gets uploaded. I'd imagine most would appreciate an email that the scores are now back and uploaded to your application.

It's not a big blemish. Plenty of applicants don't have Step II back early in interview season.

Current EM intern here.

I applied with an average STEP 1 score only and did not have any issues getting interviews. I will say, though, that more interviews came in after I posted my STEP 2 score, but I can't say with confidence that it was because of the score (may have just been the timing with when programs release interviews?).

Just wanna echo what gamerEMdoc has said on all threads/posts on this forum: SLOE's are king (and that's what helped me match!!), so work your ass off to get stellar SLOE's!

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone know how often interview invites get sent out on weekends/if at all? I'm taking CS on a Saturday in mid October and worried about missing stuff...

Will I get any interview invites with just one SLOE on 9/15? Second SubI ends 9/23, possibility it could be up by 10/1 before MSPE but if its not will my app be rejected, or just put into limbo until I upload the second SLOE and update programs about it.

Will I get any interview invites with just one SLOE on 9/15? Second SubI ends 9/23, possibility it could be up by 10/1 before MSPE but if its not will my app be rejected, or just put into limbo until I upload the second SLOE and update programs about it.

yes

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know how often interview invites get sent out on weekends/if at all? I'm taking CS on a Saturday in mid October and worried about missing stuff...

Most programs don't send out interviews until the Dean's Letter is released on or about October 1st (memory is hazy, may be off some days so check me on this). My advice for this: have the native application for the email you are using downloaded on your phone, i.e. if it's outlook, have the outlook app, not mail on the iPhone Mail app. You won't get notifications for interviews as fast or as reliably.

Interview notification emails are stressful, straight up. Board exams are stressful. If you have the opportunity to make those two things mutually exclusive without jeopardizing either, I would do so.

Depends on the program, but I would try to get that 2nd SLOE out ASAP (without annoying the clerkship director who is tasked with writing it). Anyone writing a letter knows the timeline, so it behooves them to help you meet the deadline. A gentle reminder in advance of the MSPE date might be good.

Reactions: 1 user

Invites do come out on weekends sometimes. I recommend having emails auto forwarded to a significant other, friend, or family member if there’s periods you can’t access your phone and just have them go ahead and schedule them for you if one comes in while you’re incapacitated.

So I have 1 SLOE, and hoping to get another one from an away rotation in October. On ERAS it looks like you cannot add any documents other than edit your personal statement once your application is submitted now. Does anyone know if we can still obtain SLOEs/LoRs after submitting our application or would you have to delay ERAS submission until you receive your SLOE/LoR?

So I have 1 SLOE, and hoping to get another one from an away rotation in October. On ERAS it looks like you cannot add any documents other than edit your personal statement once your application is submitted now. Does anyone know if we can still obtain SLOEs/LoRs after submitting our application or would you have to delay ERAS submission until you receive your SLOE/LoR?

You are able to add SLOEs/LORs after the application is submitted

Is there any advantage to submitting on ERAS on the 5th as opposed to waiting until the 15th? Will programs see your application first or something?

Is there any advantage to submitting on ERAS on the 5th as opposed to waiting until the 15th? Will programs see your application first or something?
No. The only advantage is that you're done and can focus on something else instead.

Hello all, just looking for some clarification regarding # of letters submitted by the 15th. I am doing 4 EM rotations total (long story) and am requesting SLOEs from all of them. I've done 2/4 so far and anticipate the SLOEs from those to be in by 9/15. I'm currently on my 3rd rotation, which I was originally counting for one of the 3 letters required by most EM programs. However I won't be done with this rotation until the 3rd week of September and so my SLOE won't be in until early October. That puts me at 2 SLOEs guaranteed by 9/15 and nothing else. Does that mean my application will be incomplete for most programs when they receive it on 9/15?

tl;dr Am I fine with 2 SLOEs in by 9/15 and nothing else, or should I add a non-EM letter to make it to 3 before submission?

Going to be program dependent. No one requires 4 SLOEs. 95% of programs are ok with 2. So the safe thing IMO is to get a generic LOR, then add the 3rd and last SLOE in October, giving you a total of 4 letters at that point (3 SLOEs and 1 generic letter from anyone). There is absolutely ZERO reason to get a 4th SLOE.

Going to be program dependent. No one requires 4 SLOEs. 95% of programs are ok with 2. So the safe thing IMO is to get a generic LOR, then add the 3rd and last SLOE in October, giving you a total of 4 letters at that point (3 SLOEs and 1 generic letter from anyone). There is absolutely ZERO reason to get a 4th SLOE.
Thank you very much, I will do that. Glad I realized this now rather than closer to 9/15.

Most programs don't send out interviews until the Dean's Letter is released on or about October 1st (memory is hazy, may be off some days so check me on this). My advice for this: have the native application for the email you are using downloaded on your phone, i.e. if it's outlook, have the outlook app, not mail on the iPhone Mail app. You won't get notifications for interviews as fast or as reliably.

Interview notification emails are stressful, straight up. Board exams are stressful. If you have the opportunity to make those two things mutually exclusive without jeopardizing either, I would do so.

Depends on the program, but I would try to get that 2nd SLOE out ASAP (without annoying the clerkship director who is tasked with writing it). Anyone writing a letter knows the timeline, so it behooves them to help you meet the deadline. A gentle reminder in advance of the MSPE date might be good.

In terms of which email domain to use, is the school email sufficient or should I use a gmail that I know won't accidentally filter things out?

In terms of which email domain to use, is the school email sufficient or should I use a gmail that I know won't accidentally filter things out?

I used my school email and just downloaded the Outlook for iPhone app so that notifications would push immediately to my phone. The native Mail app on the iPhone doesn't do that, for some reason. I did periodically check the junk/spam, but don't think anything was filtered out. Anything is possible though, so it wouldn't hurt to periodically check your junk/spam, regardless of which email platform you decide to use.

Hello all, just looking for some clarification regarding # of letters submitted by the 15th. I am doing 4 EM rotations total (long story) and am requesting SLOEs from all of them. I've done 2/4 so far and anticipate the SLOEs from those to be in by 9/15. I'm currently on my 3rd rotation, which I was originally counting for one of the 3 letters required by most EM programs. However I won't be done with this rotation until the 3rd week of September and so my SLOE won't be in until early October. That puts me at 2 SLOEs guaranteed by 9/15 and nothing else. Does that mean my application will be incomplete for most programs when they receive it on 9/15?

tl;dr Am I fine with 2 SLOEs in by 9/15 and nothing else, or should I add a non-EM letter to make it to 3 before submission?

I did 4 EM auditions, assigned the first 3/4 to my ERAS (3rd one was done mid-October). You'll get interviews with 2, but for me, that 3rd SLOE was to make me competitive in a particular geographic region. I didn't end up sending my 4th SLOE (done mid-Nov), but I got an interview at that institution as a result (they didn't do exit interviews for all their rotators), and matched at this program.

So, I would say that 4 SLOE's are definitely overkill, UNLESS you think it will make you more competitive at those specific programs at which you are rotating. In my specific situation, that 4th SLOE was hugely important. In yours, it may be as well - treat it like the precious gold that it is.

They might have some marginal benefit in getting you interviews in the geographic area, but I think that's more of a crapshoot.

Is there a 2019-2020 applicant spreadsheet? Seems like a lot of the other specialties have theirs up...

Reactions: 2 users
Is there a 2019-2020 applicant spreadsheet? Seems like a lot of the other specialties have theirs up...

Yes there is! A few of us are sharing the work with creating it. I just finished a 3 month long trip doing aways. Working on getting my life back in order and I’ll be working on my sections. We’ll work on getting it out around the 9/15 timeframe so we can start inputting data.

Has anyone heard from any PD's or people in admin about ERAS CV, whether or not to include undergraduate volunteer/work stuff? Like tutoring or camp counselor or lifeguard? Like these things are irrelevant to where I am now, but don't know if it's just necessary to cover it all?
Thanks

So I have step 1 and 2 scores back. I don't have my level scores back (waiting on 2PE and CE). Can I hold off on clicking the "release comlex scores" until after I have them back? Will anyone give a hoot that my application just has my step scores going out at the time of submission?

Has anyone heard from any PD's or people in admin about ERAS CV, whether or not to include undergraduate volunteer/work stuff? Like tutoring or camp counselor or lifeguard? Like these things are irrelevant to where I am now, but don't know if it's just necessary to cover it all?
Thanks

I usually recommend only including more distant activities if (1) they're really important, or (2) they fill a "hole" in your application. For instance if you presented a project at your undergraduate campus research fair sophomore year, I would probably not include that if you have a bunch of publications and presentations etc. from medical school. If that's your only research that you've ever done, I would include it so a program can check the box that you have research experience. If something is very important from undergraduate, I would include it (large scholarships, important awards such as PBK, large leadership positions).

Hey guys I think I might be in trouble for the match and I'm looking for honest advice.

I already knew I was in for a kind of rough road. I have a step 1 of 232, but I only passed my EM rotation at my home institution due to underperforming on the end of rotation exam. My away SLOE I anticipate should be pretty good, but today I got my MSPE and I'm in the bottom quartile due to two passes in family med and neurology and only honoring in psych. I go to a good medical school in the US, but my question is whether I should apply to every single EM program. How much trouble am I in really?

Hey guys I think I might be in trouble for the match and I'm looking for honest advice.

I already knew I was in for a kind of rough road. I have a step 1 of 232, but I only passed my EM rotation at my home institution due to underperforming on the end of rotation exam. My away SLOE I anticipate should be pretty good, but today I got my MSPE and I'm in the bottom quartile due to two passes in family med and neurology and only honoring in psych. I go to a good medical school in the US, but my question is whether I should apply to every single EM program. How much trouble am I in really?
bro some of us got real problems

like being img

you're fine

bro some of us got real problems

like being img

you're fine

Dude, I totally hear that, but a couple people applying em didn't match from my school last year, and they seemed super competitive so I promise I'm being sincere when I say I'm concerned and trying to assess if I need a backup plan.

Dude, I totally hear that, but a couple people applying em didn't match from my school last year, and they seemed super competitive so I promise I'm being sincere when I say I'm concerned and trying to assess if I need a backup plan.
they were probably some form of cocky/weird/awkward

they were probably some form of cocky/weird/awkward

This is exactly what happens. Students perceive applicants who are "super competitive" based on their board scores. But programs base who is competitive by who do I actually want to work with. Being intelligent is a nice piece of that puzzle, but so is being a normal human being, treating the ancillary staff well, not being a problem child, having a good sense of humor, being teachable, taking feedback well, ability to multitask, interpersonal skills, conflict resolution, etc. There is so much that goes into being a good ED doc that has nothing to do with your Step 1 score. Like, almost all of being an ED doc. So what a student thinks makes someone "super competitive" in the end may be some gunner with a personality disorder who programs have ZERO interest in training after they rotate or interview at a place.

Reactions: 8 users
Hello, long time lurker here applying to EM this cycle. Is there any number of pages to the ERAS app that is considered sufficient by PDs? I was told that I needed to fluff up my application to at least 8 pages and was wondering if there was anything validity to this. Currently at 6 pages without my personal statement included.

I have never heard of anything like this. I mean, most of the time I view the apps online anyways. But the mpse is usually 5 pages or so from a school, plus lors, a ps, and the cv portion. Im not sure how it could be shorter than 8 when you include the mpse?

I believe my dean was strictly speaking about the CV portion of the app that I was able to print from ERAS. 8 pages seemed pretty lengthy for that portion alone to me. Perhaps there is some confusion or miscommunication.

Oh god, the CV portion of the app should not be 8 pages. Some people put way too much stuff in there. I don't care if you did a charity 5k when you were 19. List all past employment, and relevant true volunteer stuff (not something you did for an hour). Fluffing up the CV with extraneous stuff just makes it so the actual important stuff in the CV gets overlooked.

Reactions: 4 users
Oh god, the CV portion of the app should not be 8 pages. Some people put way too much stuff in there. I don't care if you did a charity 5k when you were 19. List all past employment, and relevant true volunteer stuff (not something you did for an hour). Fluffing up the CV with extraneous stuff just makes it so the actual important stuff in the CV gets overlooked.

The reason why I fluffed up my eras volunteer experiences is because the mean number of volunteer experiences for allopathic EM applicants is 7. So I threw in some short one day hitter volunteer things I did in med school because I didn’t want to be below average.

Do you suggest I take those one day volunteer experiences out?

The reason why I fluffed up my eras volunteer experiences is because the mean number of volunteer experiences for allopathic EM applicants is 7. So I threw in some short one day hitter volunteer things I did in med school because I didn’t want to be below average.

Do you suggest I take those one day volunteer experiences out?
Yes. Those are dumb and nobody cares.

Hey guys-

Working on the surveys right now for the spreadsheet

Other than hahnemann and Ohio valley unfortunately closing, are there any others that closed that I’m not thinking of? Ohio valley still shows up on eras and that’s what I’m referencing to create this drop down list.

Thanks !

is it really dumb to only have 2 LORs (both SLOEs) on sept 15th? with the third coming in around oct 1st.

Do I need to try and quickly find a third letter to have in by sept 15th so that I have three by then?

is it really dumb to only have 2 LORs (both SLOEs) on sept 15th? with the third coming in around oct 1st.

Do I need to try and quickly find a third letter to have in by sept 15th so that I have three by then?

Based on what I've read/researched/discussed :

1 SLOE to interview (for most programs)
2 SLOE's to be "complete" (most programs)
3 SLOE's required (minority of all programs)

So I would say 2 by 9/15 is just fine based on that.

Edit: from @gamerEMdoc :

"
When do you need to have 2 SLOEs uploaded in order to receive a chance at a "first wave" interview?
Get the first SLOE in by mid-september. Most programs will extend interviews with one SLOE, knowing that you'll be able to get a second by mid-interview season. I'd definitely want to get a second in by the end of October, and I'd email programs that you'd already interviewed at to let them know that a second SLOE was uploaded to add to your application."

Last edited:
Looks like we should be set to release the spreadsheet in the next few days. It wont be 100% complete, but I would like to at least allow for applicants to fill out the section on the applicant information tab which as of this morning is ready to go.

The remainder of the tabs will be more relevant after 9/15 so we'll work on having it all complete by then.

Thanks for your patience!

My B I maybe should have been clearer in my writing.

I will have two SLOES by sept 15th. But I will not have an additional non SLOE by then. Will any programs care that the total number of letters I have by then is 2 and not 3?

Based on what I've read/researched/discussed :

1 SLOE to interview (for most programs)
2 SLOE's to be "complete" (most programs)
3 SLOE's required (minority of all programs)

So I would say 2 by 9/15 is just fine based on that.

Edit: from @gamerEMdoc :

"
When do you need to have 2 SLOEs uploaded in order to receive a chance at a "first wave" interview?
Get the first SLOE in by mid-september. Most programs will extend interviews with one SLOE, knowing that you'll be able to get a second by mid-interview season. I'd definitely want to get a second in by the end of October, and I'd email programs that you'd already interviewed at to let them know that a second SLOE was uploaded to add to your application."

My B I maybe should have been clearer in my writing.

I will have two SLOES by sept 15th. But I will not have an additional non SLOE by then. Will any programs care that the total number of letters I have by then is 2 and not 3?

I don't believe so. I'm not even submitting a non-sloe

Maybe I have it totally wrong but I thought we were only required to have SLOE’s and we can do a traditional LOR but it isn’t necessary.

Last edited: