[2019-2020] Emergency Medicine Rank Order List Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephanopolous

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Per SDN tradition, here is this year's Rank Order List (ROL) thread. There two ways in which you may participate:
  1. By using your SDN account and directly replying to this thread
  2. By using the anonymous FORM created for this thread. No SDN or email account required. (Note: Some newer programs may be missing from this form. If that's the case, just write the name of the program in the free text bar.)

Format:
  • EM applicants have a tough time gauging how competitive they are. The more information this year's applicants provide when posting their ROL, the better idea future applicants have of their chances. Ideally, approximate Step scores, EM rotation grades, AOA status, etc. It especially helps if you include the names of places you turned down interviews from and the places who rejected/silent rejected you. If you don't feel comfortable providing some of this information, it's fine, but any details are appreciated. If you're reading this, chances are you benefited in some way from the information on SDN from previous years, and now is your chance to pay it forward. If you prefer to post that information after Match Day, you can always send the information to me and I'll edit the post, or you can quote the post and add it yourself.
  • Include a description of your thinking process/priorities you considered to create your rank order list (i.e., 3- vs. 4-year program, community vs. county, location, reputation, residents/faculty, work hours, etc.). This is tremendously important for future applicants as they are trying to determine which programs they are applying to.
  • List the programs you are ranking in their respective numerical order, providing a brief summary of cons/pros you considered for each
  • Please include shift length and number of shifts per month. Sadly, not many people posted that info on the IV Impressions spreadsheet, and that's one of the most useful pieces of information for next year's applicants.

Best of luck to everyone and happy New Year!

Helpful links:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Posted anonymously via Google Form.

Applicant Summary:
Board Scores: 240's/250's (USMLE)
EM Rotations: Honors/PF/PF/PF/PF
AOA: No
Med School Region: Southeast
Anything else that made you more competitive: Left blank

Main considerations in making this ROL: post- residency job placement, program strength/rep, location

1) FL- Orlando Health
2) FL- U of FL Jacksonville
3) FL- USF Tampa
4) FL- Jackson Memorial (Miami)
5) MA- University of Massachusetts (Worcester)
6) KY- University of Louisville
7) LA- LSU Baton Rouge
8) FL- UF Gainesville
9) NH- Dartmouth
10) NY- NY Presbyterian
11) FL- Florida Atlantic University
12) FL- UCF HCA Greater Orlando

Note from @Stephanopolous : To anyone who would like to contribute or change anything, you can also PM me your ROL or any other information that was left off your submission on the spreadsheet. Your anonymity will be maintained.

Applicant Summary:
Board Scores: left blank
EM Rotations: Honors/PF/High Pass
Med School Region: left blank

Main considerations in making this ROL: high volume/pathology, good CC training, early autonomy and trust, fit with residents, cohesiveness of entire dept (nurses, techs etc)

1) OH- U of Cincinnati
legendary program, incredibly laid back and nice but accomplishing big things. Helicopter program sounds bada**, incredible job/fellow placements, EM is highly respected in the hospital/ on off service rotations, CC great. Cinci was a better city than I expected. Loved every single thing

2) MO- U of Missouri Kansas City
big surprise for me, KC way bigger of a city than I thought. Best program within the hospital with good national rep too, actively recruited for CC fellowships. Faculty trained all over the country and have big connections fob job placement. huge turn out at dinner and lunch and clicked with every resident I met. PD IS A GEM. autonomy is awesome with interns getting to cherry pick sick patients and get hardcore training early before worrying about learning to run a department during pgy 2/3

3) NC- Wake Forest
huge rep, huge alumni base, huge research going on. supportive faculty on developing your interests - big into FOAMed, EMS, CC. Maximize your time in the ED and ICU, very little off service. nice schedule, everyone seemed happy. Only con is winston -salem; not a bad city, just not a big city -- as a single guy it may minimize my dating options.

4) GA- Emory
Great training, heavy CC, committed faculty in every niche of EM you can imagine, but seems like you work your A** off! Honestly, I got great vibes the entire day, the PD was incredible, but can't decide if I am ready for intense 3 years -- maybe I'll stop being lazy and move this one up some. Atlanta is a cool city big opportunities all around. Autonomy to the max starting day 1 without pressure to see certain # until 1/2 way into pgy1 -- running entire huge pods by pgy2. best trauma split I saw anywhere that sounded like it ran smooth. Definitely would come out a cowboy

5) NC- University of NC
Similar to wake forest - big names with a good reputation. EM doesn't seem like the strongest within the hospital so not quite as much respect on off service. Less time within the ED - a couple residents made comments about being consult heavy as a con. Autonomy as an intern was nice, but not if consulting out all the sick patients.

6) FL- U of FL Jacksonville
Seemed like a worse Emory to me -- not that they are bad, but just similar in every way without being emory. A couple residents mentioned being abused on off service "at the beck and call of the surgeons" Interns hated their life, but by pgy3 they had it nice. I didn't vibe well with the split between intermediate care and intensive care (or whatever they call the 2 sections) with only 25% pgy1 in the sick side -- I am looking for more autonomy on the front end of things. The ED was pretty overcrowded and run down - typical for county, but it seemed more extreme here. Overall, i'm sure they still come out well trained, but maybe not the most pleasant experience.

7) AL- University of Alabama
Good vibes from the residents and the PD - all seemed happy, I just wasn't sold on the level of training. I'm looking for a perfect balance of good training with quality of life and I think they lean a bit too far on QOL for me. CC months at the bare minimum, interns coddled in the lower acuity pods, even once you run your own pod as a pgy2/3 they are so small (8-10 beds) you aren't seeing the numbers that residents at big institutions are seeing - worried how that may effect job prospects. Also, still a little too new for me with not a huge alumni network.

8) OH- Case Western Reserve (MetroHealth)
I like the mix between county and academic - I was expecting this to be higher on my list, but I just didn't get good vibes on my IV day. Not any 1 con stood out just my gut wasn't in it. Cool helicopter experiences and I think they come out well trained. Cleveland is meh.

9) AR- University of Arkansas
actually loved my day here! Don't want to live in Little Rock, reputation isn't quite where I want it to be. Seem to have a lot of admit hold issues within the hospital. Also, like UAB, leaned a little far on the QOL spectrum for my liking

10) VA- University of Virginia
Charlottesville is small, trauma volume low, consult heavy

11) KS- University of Kansas
too new for me, still working kinks out, EM one of the newer and thus less respected specialities in the hospital

12) OH- Case Western Reserve University/ University Hospitals Cleveland
on probation now

Anything else to add?
really looking for that balance of good training and QOL, open to feedback - still may makes some moves

Note from @Stephanopolous : To anyone who would like to contribute or change anything, you can also PM me your ROL or any other information that was left off your submission on the spreadsheet. Your anonymity will be maintained.

Members don't see this ad :)

Applicant Summary:
Board Scores: 220's/240's (USMLE)
EM Rotations: Pass/Honors
Med School Region: Left blank

Main considerations in making this ROL: Interactions with faculty, location, QOL, academic/ research possibilities

1) IL- Rush
Had the fuzzies leaving this place. It’s new, but I don’t care. The faculty sold this program to me. They knew my application and seemed enthusiastic to meet me and get to know me. The residents were all seemed happy and just down to earth people, my people. You rotate at 3 sites total I think All close by you get the leave 1 trauma experience ( which I don’t care about that much because i won’t be a surgeon) Hospital is a freaking spaceship and has amazing views of downtown Chicago. Couldn’t help but think I want to give my all to this program lol.

2) MA- UMMS Baystate
Again, the faculty here were just amazing people. I don’t know if I got along with the residents as much but the PD was one of the best on the trail. He expected all applicants to call him by his first name. He care about wellness and seemed as if he was everyone’s second dad. He showed up to the pre interview dinner and knew the applicants by name. The hospital is just beautiful and they plan to build a whole new ED. The hospital is probably has the highest acuity of patients on my list. Springfield isn’t the greatest but it’s not in the middle of nowhere. Would be happy to match here.

3) VA- University of Virginia
Big name in medicine and education in general. Amazing faculty, really got along with them. Residents seemed super cool and my people. If this program was a tad bit closer to DC I would ranked 2. scribes for residents and good health benefits. ED the best I have seen on the trail. I know I shouldn’t be ranking based on this but idc I want to work in a nice clean environment. Charlottesville is a college town. Not sure if there’s much to do, but the campus seems lively tho and I have heard food things from friends.

4) KY- University of Louisville
Didn’t interview with the PD. Kinda disappointed as I wanted to meet her. She gave a good presentation. Residents seemed cool and I got along with them during pre interview dinner. Good trauma ownership but I don’t think I care about this that much. Hospital seemed old and a little run down. Lousiville seemed okay as a city, didn’t get a chance to tour. But it’s in a mid size city and I’d be happy to complete my training here.

5) FL- U of F Jacksonville
It’s county and it shows. ED is just a bunch of curtains with stretchers everywhere. I think I’d learn to move the meat here but I want to learn in depth medicine which I’m afraid won’t happen with the work schedule. Interns are overworked with 20 10 hour shifts that usually turn to 12 with notes. Jacksonville was actually a surprise it has some nice clean areas and close to the beach. Faculty really brought this down for me. It seemed as if they were just interviewing to fill their rank list. None of them seemed as if the knew my application. I’m ranking this as high because location is better than other programs and it prob has the best rep out of all the programs I interviewed at.

6) NY- University at Buffalo
Amazing residents, my people. Facilities are nice and the hospital has the numbers. Faculty were okay, the PD seemed tired and disinterested during the interview, other interviewers felt the same way that day. Buffalo is cold, but there seems like theres a lot to do especially during the summer. I would have ranked this higher( I actually might, haven’t certified yet ) but they work 12s which i despise.

7) NJ- Hackensack
Got along with the residents well. The faculty not so much they were just mehhh. This program was a surprise to me, I liked the fact they have a new med school and I love the location.

8) NY- Zucker Hofstra Staten Island
The benefits man the benefits. Mouth watering honestly. Salary, meal and housing stipend yum. Staten Island is okay, could easily live in Brooklyn tho. Hospital seemed like it’s expanding. Faculty just seemed average and I didn’t really connect with them. They work 12s, nuf said.

9) NY- U of Rochester
I’m not sure about this. Residents seemed tired when I asked about happiness/ work schedule. Faculty were not bad actually and I got along really well with the APD. Hospital is massive and Rochester is def an academic powerhouse. But the city itself is ehhh and secluded.

10) NY- NY Zucker Hofstra Southside (Bayshore)
Benefits, see above. Too new for me.

11) NY- St. John's Riverside (Yonkers)
Couldn’t make the pre interview dinner and they seemed to hold it against me. PD said “you would be lucky to match here” to all the applicants. I think I’ll be unlucky tbh. Way to small.

Anything else to add?
I didn’t include my home program ( mid tier university program) or my away institution. None of them I’m ranking in the top 5. I’m also DNR one program

Programs you applied to:
79 programs. I applied to a lot of reaches a lot for my subpar app.

Programs whose interviews you declined:
Nyp-m, croZer, reading,

These are always fun. Here's to hoping it doesn't suck as much as last years.

Been looking forward to this. Can’t wait to contribute when I figure my life out over these next couple weeks

I legit wish I could post my rank list here so people could see how we rank candidates. I mean, obviously there is NO WAY I could do that, but it would be cool nonetheless. Its always neat to see when interns finally see behind the scenes at our rank list meeting and they get that perspective on what they had recently went through from the other side.

Reactions: 4 users
I legit wish I could post my rank list here so people could see how we rank candidates. I mean, obviously there is NO WAY I could do that, but it would be cool nonetheless. Its always neat to see when interns finally see behind the scenes at our rank list meeting and they get that perspective on what they had recently went through from the other side.

That would be so Interesting to see.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Applicant Summary:
Board Scores: 240's/250's (USMLE)
EM Rotations: Honors/Honors
AOA: Yes

Main considerations in making this ROL: Location, Happiness of residents, job placement, quality of academics, elective opportunities

1) NC- Carolinas Med Center Program
Most well rounded program I encountered. No weaknesses to speak of. Fantastic faculty, interesting electives and international opportunities including tracks. Charlotte was a young fun city near the outdoors. Amazing job placement and reputation. Emguidewire podcast. Residents very happy. Hybrid hospital with elements of county/academic/community. Best meal stipend I have seen. Only downside is number of shifts/month, however after second look the residents seem to workhard but are not overworked with large amounts of 1 on 1 teaching on shift with attendings.

2) FL- USF Tampa
Probably the happiest residents I have come across in a great city to live in. Beautiful facilities right on the water. Interesting and engaging hands on didactics. PD is making great strives with program and stands up for residents. Opportunities for extensive ultrasound training during residency. Residents competent to run department as second years. Diverse patient population with hybrid style hospital. great benefits. Cons: pediatric training is suspect with low volume, but is being addressed. Recently lost International medicine trained faculty.

3) VA- Virginia Tech Carilion
Outdoors mecca as far as EM residencies are concerned. Very diverse and underserved patient population. Enthusiastic new PD in a well respected program with EM leadership throughout hospital. Lots of opportunities for guidance towards fellowships. Residents very happy with low shift load (all 8s with low #/month). Albuquerque was an interesting city with great food. Lots of trauma with huge catchment. Excellent crit care training and many dual trained faculty. Cons: some areas of ABQ with lots of crime, less on shift training, fewer benefits

4) FL-U of Florida Gainsville
Loved the attendings here, constant teaching on shift and interesting didactics. Large catchment and interesting cases due to tertiary academic center with well known reputation. Great Peds training. Work mostly 8s, residents happy and have great support from very friendly PD. Many fellowship opportunities. SEC football. Cons: Gainesville is lacking in recreational opportunities long term, boarding issue worse than average but being worked on, lower trauma experience due to academic center

5) TN- Vanderbilt
Well known academic EM center. Will have great opportunities here and will make me an educator. Fantastic faculty and residents. SLOVIS. Great reputation and job placement. Cons: Nashville wasnt my jam, I should like this program more but didnt have the feels

6) LA- LSU New Orleans
Storied program with nicest hospital I have ever seen. Great emphasis on diversity and helping the underserved. Many opportunities for fellowship and electives. Proactive faculty and residents with unique backgrounds. NOLA is a very fun place with great culture and food. Cons: 4 years, LSU trying to stop international electives but program is fighting it, very county

7) SC- Medical University of South Carolina
Very well rounded program without major deficits. PD is michael scott. Happy residents. Tertiary hospital with many resources. Charleston is beautiful with lots of history and good food. Good work/life balance. Cons: Program wasnt great at anything, not many opportunities for fellowship

8) FL- Orlando Health
Well rounded program with womens and childrens hospital on campus. Great reputation and lots of research. Residents were fantastic and clinical training seemed topnotch. Tribrid hospital. Cons: absolutely hate Orlando, maybe too much peds if that is possible

9) GA- Emory
Amazing PD! Program with great reputation and clinical training. Lots of support from faculty and Atlanta is an amazing city. Residents are happy. Cons: too county for me, not much on shift teaching, too many residents for one program

10) LA- LSU Baton Rouge
Well rounded program with friendly PD. Had really nice pre IV dinner. Lots of fellowship opportunities, SEC football. Cons: very religious hospital and have to wear white coats in ED, Baton Rouge is not the most interesting, programs strengths are not areas I am particularly interested in

11) FL- UCF HCA Gainsville
Awesome core faculty and PD. Best HCA program I encountered and ED is run by private democratic group. Good work/life balance, nice benefits. Hospital with good volume and facilities. Cons: HCA, across town from Shands, residents not very enthusiastic, newer program

12) FL- U of Florida Jacksonville
Great clinical training and reputation/job placement. APD was awesome. Excellent critical care training. EM trained people in hospital admin. Cons: PD was worst interview of season with lots of match violations, seemed to look applicants as numbers to fill positions, unhappy residents, overworked residents, too county for me, Jacksonville is lacking in entertainment

13) FL- Florida Atlantic University
Newer program on the rise. PD passionate about program, well thought out curriculum, good Sim training. Focus on wellness. Cons: multiple training sites due to low diversity, new program, wasnt huge fan of location

14) FL- HCA West Florida GME Consortium Brandon
Friendly PD/PC with residents that are happy. Nice facilities Cons: HCA, bad location, hasnt graduated a class, no real opportunity for research/fellowship prep.

Programs that rejected you:
University of North Carolina, University of Texas Houston

Reactions: 1 user

Applicant Summary:
Board Scores: <200/220's (USMLE)
Anything else that made you more competitive:
Top 10% and Top 1/3 SLOE, research with publications, early involvement in EM with leadership roles

Main considerations in making this ROL: location, fit, quality of training

1) GA- Emory
Grady is amazing. High volume, great pathology, county with academic backing of Emory. Strong reputation, high quality training. Large class size (20), I'm not sure what effects this has. They work VERY hard here. Lots of autonomy and great relationship with their attendings from what I saw on my rotation. The PD is awesome and I love the female representation in their leadership.

2) IL- U of Illinois College of Medicine Chicago
My favorite interview of the season. Loved the mission of the program. Great diversity within the program. Training at 4 sites, which I don't love or hate, but it provides great pathology and variety. Great vibe from residents. Chicago is an awesome city. I would definitely be happy here

3) FL- USF Tampa
I really like the city. Strong ultrasound curriculum. Residents seem very happy. Seems like a good fit for me. Good COL in Tampa and I felt excited about this being a new change of scenery for me.

4) SC- Prisma Health Upstate Greenville
I was surprised by how much I loved this program. PD has so much energy and she is definitely taking this program to great places. Great ICU experience. High volume ED, high acuity. Perks like meal stipend and free parking. Greenville is a cool and up and coming city. Residents were cool. Program provided a hotel for interview day.

5) GA- Wellstar Kennestone Regional(Marietta)
Large volume community site. No ortho or surgery residency, so residents get tons of procedures. Amazing new ED opening spring 2020. Still working a few things out as a new program. Perks like concierge service and meal stipend. Have to go to Augusta for PICU month which is a negative for me

6) IL- Advocate Healthcare (Oaklawn Chicago)
I feel I would get quality training here. Training at 1 site. Mix of county and community feel. Didn't feel like I would fit in with the residents. The interview lunch was interesting - the residents pretty much mingled amoungst themselves.

7) GA- Medical College of Georgia (Augusta)
I really like this program and the curriculum. They have every fellowship you can think of. Academic program, but patients have a county feel to it. Augusta isn't a great city, which is why it's lower on my list.

8) FL- UCF HCA GME Gainsville
Community program. Didn't love it or hate it. PD is very down to earth and she has a great relationship with her residents. HCA but it wasn't mentioned on interview day what effects this has. Have to go to Orlando for peds month which is a negative for me.

9) NC- Vidant Health/East Carolina University Program
Large volume, high acuity. Loved the energy of the PD. Strong EMS curriculum. Location dropped it low on my list. Greenville is in the middle of no where. Program coordinator had very bad communication, which did not leave a good impression. Only 3 residents showed up to pre-interview social. They provided a hotel and shuttle for the interview, which was super nice.

10) WV- West Virginia University Program
Strong academic program. Residents are very close knit and it has a family atmosphere in the program. Lack of diversity is alarming. Nothing to do in Morgrantown. ED volume at main site is not that high ~60k/year

Anything else to add?
I applied to 55 programs and only 3 year programs. SLOEs are KING. I had a successful interview season with subpar step scores. My SLOEs were repeatedly mentioned on the interview trail as well as other aspects of my application. I'm praying for the best on match day.

Programs Whose Interviews You Declined:
LSU Shreveport (the cost was not worth it, I knew it would be ranked low)

Reactions: 1 users

Although you can't share your rank list, is there anything you could share with us on what goes on in your rank process or how you rank applicants?

Although you can't share your rank list, is there anything you could share with us on what goes on in your rank process or how you rank applicants?

Most places will have a similar system. At my program, all parts of your application are given a numerical score and so is your interview aggregate and then you're compiled in a list. Then resident feedback, mainly on rotators/standouts can move people up or down.

Members don't see this ad :)
I urge everyone to post some sort of reasoning as to why you’re ranking programs a certain way. This thread is here to spread information, positive and negative, about programs. A list of random programs with no explanation doesn’t really do much to add to that.

If you’re worried about PDs finding out who you are, don’t be. I was probably the most prominent poster in my applicant year and one of my APDs (who looks at SDN frequently) had no idea who I was until I told him at CORD last year.

Thoughtful explanations on why you did or didn’t like a program is tremendously beneficial to future applicant classes.

Applicant Summary:
Board Scores: 260’s/260’s
Med School Region: East coast
Anything else that made you more competitive: Unique background

Main considerations in making this ROL:
-Clinical Training
-Location: job opportunities and social life for spouse, want to be near home
-Fit: Do I like the R1s and R2s?
-County = Community < Academic (#1 and #3 both super academic but are close to home; however, #1 has a good mix of academic/county/community).
-#4-#9 are all spectacular in terms of clinical training, and I would be happy at any of those programs.

1) WA- University of Washington Program (Seattle)
a. Pros:
- Close to home, great job prospects for wifey, no more missing family/friend functions. Huge catchment area. Good mix of Community/PEDS/County/Academic with super complex pt population. Amazing outdoors. Loved the residents. 4 months of career development pathway electives. Oh yeah, PD is a total rockstar who will fight to the death for her residents, one of the most passionate PDs I've encountered. I think those who spoke poorly of PD were butthurt that she didn't buy into the bull**** they were feeding here during the IV #dontbefakebro. Residents say they get an above average amount of procedures but not crazy high. Overall, you will become a well-rounded BALLER. 10 hr shifts (a few 12s during certain intern rotations). Huge push for social advocacy, which to me is super cool, but not everyone's cup of tea. PNW is kickass.
b. Cons: Super academic. Newish program with the usual **** that tags along with it. Some graduated responsibility but not etched in stone like some programs. For instance, interns get some procedures but not many. Per a resident during IV day, R1 is “learn to be a doctor”. R2 is “learn to be an EM doctor” via procedures, see sick pts, critical care management, get R4 supervision, run resuscitations but get kicked off if you suck. R3 is “become a teacher, manage multiple critically ill pts, no more training wheels”, minimal R4 supervision. R4 is “supervisory role/educator, polish your skills mode. Intern year blows, but at least I’m supported by family and friends and get to see my dog. 4 years. RAIN, RAIN, RAIN, RAIN, yep....more RAIN. COL is getting out-of-control with lack of housing and the tech business influx. Will be poor for 4 DAMN YEARS.

2) MI- Detroit Medical Center/Wayne State University (Sinai Grace)
a. Pros: One word....BALLER. Clinical BEAST-MODE baby! Holy ****, 3 yrs of pure bliss in the medical arena. If you want to be a cowboy this is it, if you want that safety net then you got that option too. Also managing the sickest of the sickest pts. EM gets it done in the hospital. High acuity, volume, tons of procedures, significant trauma, autonomy to the max. interns get first shot at procedures. New ED. 8 hr shifts. Family in Detroit. EM runs traumas and gets all procedures...take a seat Surgery residents
b. Cons: Far from home. Detroit ""is having a rebirth"" but it's still Detroit....cold AF winters and Gotham vibes. If this were closer to home or if I were single it would be #1 hands down. State and city income taxes blow with a relatively low salary to begin with. Limited hospital resources is an issue and sucks to be conscientious of on a daily basis for 3 years. Relatively low salary for having state and city income tax as well as federal tax. No-nicotine policy won’t be a problem but seems inane (no occasional cigar).

3) CA- Stanford
a. Pros: numerous resources to help you find your niche, will push you to become a leader in EM, brilliant residents from other specialties to learn from, brand new ED, set you up for academic job afterward (not sure that’s what I want but nice to have the option), autonomy seems fine, west coast, Yosemite NP 4 hours away, 10 hr shifts!!! No more 12s baby. “Admitting privileges” per resident. Housing stipend.
b. Cons: the whole ""healthy/insured palo alto population""...., possibly low procedures, 4 years, Surgery runs trauma pts but EM gets airway, high COL, traffic, low county time (sounds like this won’t change in near future). Overall, would get solid training but not enough exposure to hardcore cases/”**** hits the fan” moments; but, is semi-close to home and can get a job anywhere afterward.

4) CA- Riverside
a. Pros: SoCal. Community Hospital (PD says it functions as a county hospital with tons of resources), Awesome PD, lots of procedures, wellness, west coast, EM runs traumas (Surgery residents stay away from ED for the most part), PD emphasizes seeing lots of pts, relatively low COL for California, could boost my golf game given nice weather all year, no more freezing my ass off during the winters and getting a rusty car from absurd amounts of road salt....that **** gets old fast
b. Cons: job opportunities for wife? Reputation outside of Cali? one site for 3 years. New program so networking issues once done but PD discussed his HCA program hook-ups after graduating.

5) MI- Henry Ford Hospital/Wayne State University (Detroit)
a. Pros: Well-established and respected program. High volume, high acuity, very very sick pts (virtually everyone with renal failure, heart failure/LVADs), EM runs trauma resuscitations, great critical care, overall excellent clinical training, tons of procedures (central lines, a-lines, intubations). 3 elective months! 4 vacation months! Very similar to Advocate Christ in terms of acuity/volume/procedures and # of elective months. Interviewers are happy with caliber of their resident graduates. Subsidized housing in close proximity to hospital
b. Cons: Despite EM residents running the trauma resuscitations, Surgery shares the ""big boy"" procedures (residents mention surgery senior sometimes allows EM residents to do chest tubes like wtf man)....I know this is quite common and can seem petty but it's annoying when ""EM runs traumas"" yet dealing with surgery for procedures, graduated responsibility (interns do basic procedures and see bread & butter EM cases, PGY-2 gets first opportunity for procedures and sees higher acuity pts, PGY-3 runs resuscitations and also does procedures as needed. Excessive income taxes (federal, state, and local). Ortho does reductions. No nicotine policy (blood or urine tests haha), again not a issue for me but seems authoritarian to the max.

6) IL- Advocate Health Care (Oak Lawn, Chicago)
a. Pros: Training for EM near South Chicago which has one the highest homicide rates in the nation? Damn right. Very high volume, high acuity/tons of trauma, lots of procedures, lots of U/S fellowship-trained faculty, emphasis on wellness, very cohesive faculty/resident dynamic (first name basis with attendings), no graduated responsibility, hit the ground running on day 1 is awesome...I hate hand holding, EM runs Level 3 traumas, job opportunities for wifey
b. Cons: not all procedures (interviewer said ENT attending does PTA drainage, again I know it sounds petty but if I'm doing residency far AF from home I at least want to become proficient at all reasonable procedures), brutal winter, commute from Chicago or forced to live in ****ty Oak lawn, Surgery runs Level 1 and 2 traumas but EM gets airway. All the residents with whom I interacted seem like total urbanites so not much diversity in terms of upbringing. Dinky adult ED is crammed with incalculable hallway beds (don’t want to deal with that nonsense for 3 years); however, ED is “getting renovated” in near future so probably after I finish residency lol

7) TX- University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston Program
a. Pros: One of the best if not thee best county/academic/community/PEDS mix of training sites in the country. Great PEDS exposure (TCH has super complex kiddos). Busiest Level 1 Trauma Center in the country. Brand new massive trauma floor. Job opportunities for wifey
b. Cons: Trauma 1: EM gets airway and Surgery does everything else; however, EM runs Level 2 and 3 traumas. Unable to tolerate super hot/humid summer. Unnecessary stress of worrying about that hurricane threat. Aside from nice urban parks the outdoor activities are limited. Massive class size (20) seems impersonal

8) TN- University of Tennessee College of Medicine at Memphis Program
a. Pros: PD is a bulldog (will go to war for his residents), faculty very dedicated to program improvement, TONS of procedures just like CHRISTUS (but not doing thoracotomies like you would at CHRISTUS), very sick population just like Detroit (tons of strokes, MIs, renal failure), new ED, hit the ground running (PD emphasizes interns seeing the sickest pts on Day 1), low COL, amazing BBQ, tons of outdoor activities nearby, small resident class size (6), large catchment area. Residents are genuine and my type.
b. Cons: new program so turf battle dispute (getting better per PD), trauma goes to Regional One center so when at Methodist Hospital (main site) you see minimal trauma, job opportunities for wifey, Reputation outside of TN? Humid summer. Super far from home (I'm tired of routinely missing family and friend functions for the past 4 years).

9)TX- Christus Health/Texas A&M College of Medicine/Spohn Hospital Program
a. Pros: functions as unopposed residency (only FM which stays away) so EM residents get ALL the procedures, work alongside trauma surgeon attending (no surgery residents), ridiculous amounts of procedures including getting the rare ones, residents spoke about how sick the pts are (ex: pts presenting with HR 30s from hyperkalemic heart block are not uncommon), lots of trauma (Level 2 trauma center), brand new ED, will be very comfortable starting as attending, good PEDS experience. Loved the down-to-earth, humble residents yet could handle virtually any medical emergency...that speaks a lot to me as opposed to some some loud, pretentious losers I met at other programs.
b. Cons: job opportunities for wifey seem scarce. Grimy “beach” town. While I would enjoy the outdoors there, I’m not sure she would. If I were a single dude then this would be a contender for my top 3 programs

10) UT- University of Utah Program
a. Pros: Super cool PD. Beautiful location. Both the academic and community facilities are new. Close to home. Wifey likes area. I loved the faculty at academic site. Didactics were engaging. Residents seem cool.
b. Cons: Surgery runs traumas, sometimes anesthesia gets involved. Low # of procedures. Low acuity. Overall, would come out of here as a good clinician but just not enough exposure to super sick pts like you see in Detroit, Corpus Christi, Memphis, Oak Lawn, etc

11) WI- University of Wisconsin Hospitals and Clinics Program (Madison)
a. Pros: 3+1 structure is genius, faculty are very committed to resident development/career ambitions, program has $$, badass flight program (Wisconsin requires flight physician to ride aboard helicopters so tons of opportunities for riding along and can be the solo flight physician during R3 if you feel like being Cowboy Rambo), nice facility, random pathology such as farming accidents. Overall, solid program just far from home and cold AF winters.
b. Cons: procedures? Low acuity? Not super sick population. Long, cold freeze-your-nuts-off winters…even the Uber driver said winters are absolutely brutal here. Wifey hates the cold and there are no mountains to ski despite tons of snow.

12) NY- SUNY Upstate (Syracuse)
a. Pros: moderate amount of trauma, large catchment area, diverse population with high refugee percentage, PD is a baller, 8hr shifts, strong PEDS.
b. Cons: Surgery runs traumas and gets most procedures (EM gets airway but that’s about it) like most academic programs so also consult-heavy system, Suboptimal winters. Very far away from home. Super low salary ($50k R1 not to mention NY income tax). Outdated and crammed ED. Overall, good training but not a fan of living in Syracuse for the next 3 years with a low salary and few procedures.

13)PA- Penn State Milton S Hershey Medical Center Program
a. Pros: Large catchment area with complex pt population (LVADs galore, genetic conditions, Amish) since it is the only Pediatric and Adult Level 1 Trauma Center in the state. Strong EMS experience. PD seems cool.
b. Cons: Wifey is not a fan of the area. Low procedure numbers (per resident on IV day: residents get chest tubes in OR with cardiothoracic surgeons in order to fulfill ACGME requirement) because it’s a super academic program with all specialty residency programs. Surgery runs trauma (EM gets airway). One of the residents couldn’t tell me what he is proud of regarding the program which was a red flag. Get pushback from admitting/inpatient teams, standard Academic hospital nonsense. Far away from home.

Anything else to add?
I have been several thousand miles from home for the past 4 years so the real basis for my list is being back on the West Coast, wife happiness since she sacrificed a lot to move across the country for me, and clinical training. So,.......... I'm trying to get back to the West Coast. Therefore, I ranked many high-quality programs low solely because they are far away independent of their caliber.

For you MS3s/early MS4s....prepare diligently for your SLOEs (1-2 weeks of familiarizing yourself with common chief complaints/DDz/work-ups and be confident even when you have not idea what to do, and work really hard during shifts) because they will straight up make or break your application.

Programs whose interviews you declined:
I have been several thousand miles from home for the past 4 years so the real basis for my list is being back on the West Coast, wife happiness since she sacrificed a lot to move across the country for me, and clinical training. So,.......... I'm trying to get back to the West Coast. Therefore, I ranked many high-quality programs low solely because they are far away independent of their caliber.

For you MS3s/early MS4s....prepare diligently for your SLOEs (1-2 weeks of familiarizing yourself with common chief complaints/DDz/work-ups and be confident even when you have not idea what to do, and work really hard during shifts) because they will straight up make or break your application.

Programs that rejected you:
All the ""legendary"" programs :(

Absolutely. This is going to be long. Sit down.

We have a scoring system Ive used for years and continue to adapt. Our PD gives me full reigns on interview selection and scoring, which I greatly appreciate since its the favorite part of my job. I review all the applicants the week of the interview and pick apart the app, scoring individual components like school grades, boards, quartile rank, leadership experience, and first 2 sloes. Each one is weighted with a multiplier based on importance. Sloes>boards>rank/clinical grades>preclin grades. Some only account for a few points, some become a ton of points. At the time of the interview directly after, 3 interviews give each candidate a blinded 1-10 score which is an objective assessment of how much you want to match that person based on their app and interview, and we give a composite 1-10 score based on their 3 scores.

All that part I took from my residency’s scoring system which they gave me. I changed it and tweaked it, changed some multipliers here and there, etc. I reevaluate it every year.

For the rank list, we used to start with a list of highest total app score to lowest but found that it led to a ton of juggling of candidates that people liked and disliked based on resident feedback at our list meeting. Afterall, someone could score decently with a HUGE red flag or someone could be a clinical all star with a great personality but just lower med school performance. So we found the total app score to be helpful most of the time, but there were definitely a percentage of apps that it over or under ranked based on how we actually wanted people.

So I came up with a new way to do our rank list 2 years ago and it works really well. I look at only the interviewer “how much do I want to work with this candidate” scores and look at their distribution across all candidates, it comes out to a pretty good bell curve. Based on that bell curve we start by ranking people based on their total score but within their interview tiers.

This year:

8-10 scores (the people we liked best) were almost 20%
7s 20%
6s 20%
5s 20%
1-4 20%

So basically the people that have the highest “we want to get that person” score are ranked within their respective quintile by their total app score. Then the next quintile. Then the next. Etc.

Once I do that to our list, it really comes out of the gate pretty darn accurate how we want people. I then go over this tiered list with the residents in a 2-3 hour rank list slide show and we talk about every single candidate, positives, negatives, red flags, etc. they make further recommendations to move people up or down a bit, but for the most part, there isnt a ton of major movement unless there is some major revelation. It happens. One candidate called one of our residents a bitch to another resident one year and that came out. He got DNR. So the resident feedback is always important bc you never know what will come out.

After the resident/faculty list conference, the PD and I meet one last time over breakfast and go back through the list and discuss making changes based on the notes I take at the resident conference. We finalize the list, send the final rank list powerpoint to our program coordinator, and she submits The names in order into the match system.

• Wow
Reactions: 9 users
I know that was a long read above. I hope that helps. I think many residencies have some type of scoring system. I doubt most of them go to the insane nature of mine, but if any of them do Id love to know. Im always trying to improve upon it. When I made the change I discussed above with the tiers, I devised 3 different systems and made 3 different rank lists to see how they turned out, and I sent them to the PD to look at and see which one at first glance looked the most accurate as an estimated end product. He chose the tiered one, which was the one I thought was the best as well and Ive been sticking to that system now until I devise something better.

Thank you so much for sharing! It's really good to have an idea of how some of this works. The mystery drives us nuts. :)

I know that was a long read above. I hope that helps. I think many residencies have some type of scoring system. I doubt most of them go to the insane nature of mine, but if any of them do Id love to know. Im always trying to improve upon it. When I made the change I discussed above with the tiers, I devised 3 different systems and made 3 different rank lists to see how they turned out, and I sent them to the PD to look at and see which one at first glance looked the most accurate as an estimated end product. He chose the tiered one, which was the one I thought was the best as well and Ive been sticking to that system now until I devise something better.

It stresses me out sooooo much to know that there is a slide of me somewhere and a whole room of people talking about whether they like or hate me. Like this is literally a recurring nightmare of mine since childhood lol. But I know this is a great way to do this and it has a purpose. I just hope people are "professional" about it (not outright mean haha)!

• Haha
It stresses me out sooooo much to know that there is a slide of me somewhere and a whole room of people talking about whether they like or hate me. Like this is literally a recurring nightmare of mine since childhood lol. But I know this is a great way to do this and it has a purpose. I just hope people are "professional" about it (not outright mean haha)!

We’re definitely not professional.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 11 users

Thank you so much! I always heard of these scoring systems but I always hated the idea that my average school performance/scores might end up getting me a lower overall score than my personality and practical skills. It's great to understand, even for just 1 institution, what the process is like. And thank you so much for your dedication to improving your program's process. I'm sure you end up recruiting a great classes with the constant improvement, and they are a lucky bunch to have an APD like yourself.

Thank you so much! I always heard of these scoring systems but I always hated the idea that my average school performance/scores might end up getting me a lower overall score than my personality and practical skills. It's great to understand, even for just 1 institution, what the process is like. And thank you so much for your dedication to improving your program's process. I'm sure you end up recruiting a great classes with the constant improvement, and they are a lucky bunch to have an APD like yourself.

Thanks! I appreciate that.

Listen, we've all been judged. Everyone in the room has been a slide on the screen before. I make that point before we start our rank list meeting so everyone realizes that they were on the other side of this not that long ago. And its really not much different that what goes on in this thread. Programs being publicly ranked against one an another, strengths/weaknesses identified, etc. Some of it objective, some of it subjective. It is what it is. It's stressful, no doubt. But this entire process, on both sides, is about judging each-other and ranking each-other.

Reactions: 1 user
I know better but... program I'm ranking number 1 sent of RTM emails and I didn't get one .... also sent them a LOI with no response. Was close between them and another program but now feeling unwanted :( how effed up would it be to call an audible and send a LOI to my number 2 and actually bump them up to 1?
Image result for chris farley  bus gif245 × 133

I know better but... program I'm ranking number 1 sent of RTM emails and I didn't get one .... also sent them a LOI with no response. Was close between them and another program but now feeling unwanted :( how effed up would it be to call an audible and send a LOI to my number 2 and actually bump them up to 1?
Image result for chris farley  bus gif245 × 133

I don't understand people changing their mind based off the perception of not being wanted. Every program knows their "matchable" range. It probably changes a little how far or less far they go down their list, but it's likely pretty close year to year. Just because a program sends RTM emails or ranked highly emails to certain people doesn't mean those people are ranking your number one high. If you didn't get a RTM/highly email and you match there, guess what they actually do like you because they put you in their matchable range.

Reactions: 5 users
I don't understand people changing their mind based off the perception of not being wanted. Every program knows their "matchable" range. It probably changes a little how far or less far they go down their list, but it's likely pretty close year to year. Just because a program sends RTM emails or ranked highly emails to certain people doesn't mean those people are ranking your number one high. If you didn't get a RTM/highly email and you match there, guess what they actually do like you because they put you in their matchable range.
Ya I agree, but by not sending me RTM email does that mean im not ranked to match? They know their range so If they match down to #40 on their list and Im outside that then wtf. Are they sending emails to their top 40? This is all such bull****

Ranked to match has, unfortunately, multiple meanings. It should mean that, in a program with 15 spots available, “ranked to match” Puts you in the top 15 spots on their list. Now, programs don’t match their to 15 candidates ever, and they know that. So maybe program A sends this RTM email to 20 people, maybe program B sends it to 30 people - both are, I would argue, unethical and lying - ie a RTM email should mean that if you were to rank them #1 you should match 100% of the time - but if you were ranked #16 in a 15-person class, that’s not true, even if it is overwhelmingly likely. That’s my $0.02.

It bears repeating over and over - rank programs how YOU want to - never change your list based on a programs communication after the fact. It is, at best, a sincere expression of interest and at worst a downright lie or exaggeration.

Ya I agree, but by not sending me RTM email does that mean im not ranked to match? They know their range so If they match down to #40 on their list and Im outside that then wtf. Are they sending emails to their top 40? This is all such bull****

Reactions: 3 users
Programs have years of data as to number of applicants to interview and how far down their rank list they normally go. For them just like us they’d rather match high on their list than lower. Just because you didn’t get a RTM email doesn’t mean you aren’t in their range. Our PD was very honest in saying they need to interview roughly 6 applicants per spot available to fill their class. In a program of 10 that means they need to interview 60 to fill, but obviously they interview more than that. So if you are in that top 60 you have a high chance to match. It really just depends on who else ranked it high.

National average is 6.5/spot for programs. Usually we are above that, but some years below. Its an average for a reason. No program knows exactly what number they will fall to, therefore anyone saying “you are ranked to match” is lying unless you are in their top spots (the number of spots they have). Telling someone you are “ranked to match” and ranking them 40 is like a student telling the program they are ranking you #1 when you are really #2 or 3, becuase they dont think they’ll get their top choice. Its disingenuous either way.

From a program standpoint, I think its better to stick to “we are ranking you highly” or in “our typical match range”. Thats the equivalent of a student telling their top 3 they are ranking you highly.

All of this stuff is bs anyways.

Rank them how you want them.

Listen, we've all been judged. Everyone in the room has been a slide on the screen before. I make that point before we start our rank list meeting so everyone realizes that they were on the other side of this not that long ago. And its really not much different that what goes on in this thread. Programs being publicly ranked against one an another, strengths/weaknesses identified, etc. Some of it objective, some of it subjective. It is what it is. It's stressful, no doubt. But this entire process, on both sides, is about judging each-other and ranking each-other.

I know and I'm sorry. I didn't mean to sound whiny or like I don't agree with the process. I know this is the most fair way to do it and I knew what I was getting into when I chose medicine. I just need to have a tougher skin! Thanks for being so transparent about the process, though. It definitely is helpful!

I know and I'm sorry. I didn't mean to sound whiny or like I don't agree with the process. I know this is the most fair way to do it and I knew what I was getting into when I chose medicine. I just need to have a tougher skin! Thanks for being so transparent about the process, though. It definitely is helpful!

Oh yeah, sorry, I didn't mean for that to be taken as a criticsim or anything when I said that. It was more to make the point that we've all been through it, and on the programs side go through the same public scrutiny/comparisons, etc. Its just the process. My point was more to not worry about it. You'll be on the other side of the powerpoint rank list side before too long.

On your end, you have nothing to worry about, trust me.

Last edited:
So i just learnt about RTM emails via this thread. Is this something most places do because i havent received anything. I sent a LOI to my number 1 and got an email that basically said they appreciated my kind words and are excited that i will soon be done with medical school. No word on if they will rank me ☹️. I also was of the assumption that they interview people based on who has the scores and personality they like , so i worry now that tho ive interviewed at 14 places, i will still be unranked since i have really average board and clerkship scores

So i just learnt about RTM emails via this thread. Is this something most places do because i havent received anything. I sent a LOI to my number 1 and got an email that basically said they appreciated my kind words and are excited that i will soon be done with medical school. No word on if they will rank me ☹. I also was of the assumption that they interview people based on who has the scores and personality they like , so i worry now that tho ive interviewed at 14 places, i will still be unranked since i have really average board and clerkship scores

You have nothing to worry about if you have 14 interviews. The chances of you not matching are very very very slim. In order to get those 14 interviews, you're app had to have been good enough to match.

As for the RTM/LOI emails, I have no idea what percentage of students/programs participate in this kind of thing. There's no data on it. I usually respond to everyone that emails me a LOI with a similar response. I don't like telling people where they are on the rank list, good or bad, especially early. Once the rank list is finally decided, then if we choose to disclose any of that to people, then the PD reaches out. Last year we chose not to reach out at all. Idk what we are going to do this year.

I stay in touch with a handful of students who rotated throughout the year who continue to seek me out for advice. I'm a little more forthcoming about their apps just because I've been advising them for months. But as a whole, I don't like showing my cards most of the time.

To everyone freaking out about Ranked to Match emails, or other love letters from programs they interviewed at: this bears repeating as it does every year.

ANY COMMUNICATION FROM A PROGRAM IS MEANINGLESS. EVERY YEAR PEOPLE POST ABOUT HOW THEY WERE TOLD THEY WERE RANKED TO MATCH AND THEN DIDN'T MATCH.

If you get an email, cool. If you don't, cool. It doesn't matter and it certainly is NOT binding.

Also, before someone asks, you can NOT "game" the match. Rank programs in the order in which you want to go to them. Doing anything else is literally shooting yourself in the foot and is definitionally impossible to give you any sort of advantage. Anyone who posts otherwise is unfamiliar with the match algorithm and should not be trusted.

If you want to verify what I'm saying (and you should!) you can see how the match works here: How the Matching Algorithm Works - The Match, National Resident Matching Program

• Love
To everyone freaking out about Ranked to Match emails, or other love letters from programs they interviewed at: this bears repeating as it does every year.

ANY COMMUNICATION FROM A PROGRAM IS MEANINGLESS. EVERY YEAR PEOPLE POST ABOUT HOW THEY WERE TOLD THEY WERE RANKED TO MATCH AND THEN DIDN'T MATCH.

If you get an email, cool. If you don't, cool. It doesn't matter and it certainly is NOT binding.

Also, before someone asks, you can NOT "game" the match. Rank programs in the order in which you want to go to them. Doing anything else is literally shooting yourself in the foot and is definitionally impossible to give you any sort of advantage. Anyone who posts otherwise is unfamiliar with the match algorithm and should not be trusted.

If you want to verify what I'm saying (and you should!) you can see how the match works here: How the Matching Algorithm Works - The Match, National Resident Matching Program
ya no i get that

what im saying is, i didn't get a RTM email so eff them.

My 1 and 2 were very close and now I feel like my number 2 is where i wanna be

100% this

ya no i get that

what im saying is, i didn't get a RTM email so eff them.

My 1 and 2 were very close and now I feel like my number 2 is where i wanna be

Why? Maybe program one emails only their top 10. Maybe they love you as a candidate. Maybe program 2 tells their top 50 they are ranked to match. The point is, feeling rejected or accepted based on whether you did or did not get an email is strictly allowing yourself to be manipulated by the programs that do email out such emails to everyone.

Don't get me wrong, rank programs based on whatever you want. It's your list, whatever is important to you is important. I'd just caution people to find importance in post-IV communication, just because it's highly variable what programs disclose and people are less than honest on both sides sometimes.

Why? Maybe program one emails only their top 10. Maybe they love you as a candidate. Maybe program 2 tells their top 50 they are ranked to match. The point is, feeling rejected or accepted based on whether you did or did not get an email is strictly allowing yourself to be manipulated by the programs that do email out such emails to everyone.
DAMMIT GAMER!!!!

Image result for meltdown alex jones gif320 × 180

Image result for i know gif640 × 360

Last edited:
  • Haha
I was told I was “ranked highly” at the program I ranked #1 and didn’t match there. Don’t trust any program communication as a guarantee

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
I was told I was “ranked highly” at the program I ranked #1 and didn’t match there. Don’t trust any program communication as a guarantee

Just to reiterate, that doesn’t mean that program lied (I know you didn’t say they did, but some always take it that way). Being ranked highly doesn’t mean that program didn’t just have a better year than expected. Unless you are truly ranked to match (in the # of spots they have) there is no guarantee. No different that a student telling a program the program is ranked highly. The only guarantee for the program is if they are #1.

I know there are people that lie on both sides, I just bet it isn’t that common. I think more often than not, when a student doesn’t match at a place they expected to based on post-IV communication, its because they read more into what was said to them, and/or the program just had a better year than expected.

Ditto. There is a reason the NRMP discourages this sort of communication — because the presence or absence of these messages are meaningless. It is great to hear from an applicant that they are interested in our program, but the bottom line is... how likely is it that this student will do well in our program? A mid-list applicant is not moving up based on a love letter nor is a top applicant moving down. If I was interested in impressing the Dean (or if s/he cared) by filling in our top X# of spots i guess this would figure in.

Lets see how many times the word "LEGENDARY" is used in this thread.

Carry on.

Lets see how many times the word "LEGENDARY" is used in this thread.

Carry on.

Should just create a bingo board. How many times Denver gets ranked last for working too hard and how often it's mentioned that LA county is too poor.

Lol hearing "legendary" always makes me think of Pokemon.

"A wild 'Denver' approaches!"

Sent from my Pixel 3 using SDN mobile
AKKKAAAWWWW!!!!
1579702383035.png

Applicant Summary:
Board Scores: 230's/260's (USMLE) 550's/>700 (COMLEX)
EM Rotations: PF/Unsure/Unsure/Pass
Med School Region: Northwest

Location, quality of training, resident vibes

1) CA- Desert Regional
2) NY- Albany Medical Center
3) AZ- Midwestern University (Kingman)
4) PA- Reading Hospital Program
5) NE- University of Nebraska Medical Center Program
6) OH- Doctors Hospital/OhioHealth Program
7) OK- Oklahoma State University Center for Health Sciences (Tulsa) Program

Removed- multiple people felt this post was a fake ROL posting

Last edited:

Applicant Summary:
Board Scores: 240’s/250’s
AOA: Yes
Med School Region: Midwest
Anything else that made you more competitive:
GHHS, former scribe, published EM research

training quality, location

1) FL- UCF HCA GME Ocala
Badass trauma, great location for me, loved my interview day

2) FL- Palm Beach Consortium (Pt. St. Lucie)
Felt like an awesome fit, perfect for SO

3) FL- Aventura Hospital
excellent training, great faculty

4) CA- USC LAC+USC (Los Angeles)
utterly disappointed, had high hopes

5) MI- Henry Ford Macomb (Clinton Township)
PD was nice despite stories

6) CA- Alameda Health- Highland Hospital
SO likes area, volume is concerning

7) FL- UCF HCA GME Greater Orlando
great location

8) MA- Massachusetts General Hospital/Brigham & Women's Hospital/Harvard Medical School
Didn't vibe with residents, acuity concerning

9)AZ- Abrazo Health
up and coming program, bad location

10) FL- UCF HCA GME Gainsville
too many females in leadership (sry)

11) CA- Stanford
COL not worth name. Too pushy with leadership

12) FL- Orlando Health
poor rotation experience. May decide to DNR

Now THIS is controversial

• Wow

Applicant Summary:
Board Scores: 230’s/240’s
EM Rotations: pass/pass/pass
AOA: no
Med School Region: outside the us
Anything else that made you more competitive: left blank

1) CA- Eisenhower
awesome hospital, cool faculty and residents, cool town, near LA, SD, Vegas, Phoenix. Overall just fit the best with residents and faculty.

2) AZ- Abrazo Health
PD is really cool, did a good job selling the program. PHX is the 5 biggest city in the country with low COL, they are level 1 with huge catchment area, only program based out of Abrazo west so will be gunslingers of the hospital, first class = all procedures, chance to help create the culture, will be a good program let the haters hate.

3) FL- Kendall Regional (Miami) (HCA)
Miami is cool again, ignore the haters. Really liked the PD although the APD was kinda meh. Residents seemed lest ED broish than i would have liked. Espanol is kind like 70% spanish only patients, would graduate at lease fluent conversationally. Level 1 but the cool stuff goes to Ryder.

4) NY- Health Quest
Another cool PD, about to open a 550 million dollar building, would be first class so again all procedures, faculty were all young, Dr Faizon talked about financial boot camps in 3 yr which i really liked. Area is pretty rough though, would rank this place 1 if it was in a better spot.

5) FL- HCA West Florida GME Consortium Brandon

6) MS- University of Mississippi

didnt gel

7) NY- Brooklyn Hospital Center Program
4 yr

8) MI- Genesys Regional Medical Center
4yr, Dr Britt probably one of the coolest people ive met in EM

9) GA- Coliseum Medical Centers Program (Macon)
idk how this place got accredited

Anything else to add:
its a grind as an IMG

Programs You Applied To:

Programs Whose Interviews You Declined:
LSU shrieveport fm/em

Programs from which you withdrew before hearing anything:
NUMC

Status
Not open for further replies.