[2019-2020] Emergency Medicine Rank Order List Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Posted anonymously via Google Form.

Applicant Summary:
Board Scores: 250's/250's (USMLE)
EM Rotations: HP/Honors
AOA: No
Med School Region: Midwest
Anything else that made you more competitive: PhD, older applicant with unique hobbies discussed at almost every interview

Main considerations in making this ROL: spouse's preference, fit, fellowship opportunities, research opportunities, location

1) CA- Alameda Health- Highland Hospital
Pros- This was the dream program all along, was so beyond excited to get an interview. Spouse and I love the bay area. Really love the social mission of this place and strong social EM and public health opportunities here. PD & APD were my favorite duo of the season, immediately felt at ease around them. Also was my favorite applicant cohort of the interview season. I'm not an extrovert so interview dinners are always a little tough for me but I had a great time at the social and was impressed with how many residents showed up. Would like to end up in CA after finishing training and got the sense that Highland grads can go anywhere. Badass training without any sense of malignancy. All 8h shifts, 1mo vacation per year (2mo intern year!), free food in hospital, GI rounds TID.

Cons- Admittedly much of the interview presentation was largely the PD just showing pictures of former classes and telling where each person is now. No moonlighting until 4th year. Bay area is $$$$. 4 years. Hospital is less well known outside of EM.

2) MA- Massachusetts General Hospital/Brigham & Women's Hospital/Harvard Medical School
Pros- Was super excited about this interview. Harvard name comes with abundant research and academic opportunities. Really really connected with the mission to create badass doctors who want to save the world. Feel like this place could really jumpstart an academic career. Train at some of the best hospitals in the world. My parents would love bragging that their kid is at Harvard lol.

Cons- The PD didn't really talk about the program much during his presentation, maybe sitting on their laurels a bit. Residents also seemed really tired and stressed at the interview social. Work a mix of 8-12h shifts. Residents clearly seem to prefer MGH > Brigham. Boston is $$$ and also cold. 4 years.

3) IL- University of Chicago
Pros- Proximity to family, spouse and I both like Chicago. Chicago is much cheaper than the bay area or Boston. 3 years. 8h shifts, supposedly leave on time. 3 day weekends 2x/month while in ED.

Cons- Freezing cold winters! No fellowships in my area of interest so would definitely move in 3 years, and the idea of staying in the same location for residency & fellowship is appealing bc moving sucks.

4) CA- UC San Diego
Pros- Proximity to family. Location +++. Weather is incredible, access to the beach, traffic is much better than LA or San Francisco. Seems like a nice easy life in this city. UCSD residents and faculty were the happiest I met on the interview trail. Not sure if it's bc of San Diego or UCSD but regardless, they seem happy.

Cons- Rotate at a ton of hospitals. San Diego is expensive. 4 years. Potentially weird trauma setup.

5) CA- Loma Linda
Pros- Proximity to family. Close to LA, nice weather. 3 year program. Excellent peds training. Residents all seem happy. Loma Linda is cheap, day to day life seems good. Research opportunities in my area of interest.

Cons- The "inland empire" is kind of in the middle of nowhere...1-3 hours from LA depending on traffic. Maybe less prestigious than other CA programs? Could potentially affect fellowship or job opportunities in the bigger CA cities?

6) CA- UC Davis (Sacramento)
Pros- 3 years. Sacramento is relatively cheap for CA, seems like a very livable city. Close to wine country and the mountains. Nice weather.

Cons- Didn't like their interview format with SVI-type questions. Sacramento doesn't have the same job opportunities for spouse as some of the other cities I interviewed at.

7) IL- McGaw of Northwestern University (Chicago)
Pros- Really impressed with their interview day; left the interview day with this program initially at #1. Proximity to family, Chicago COL. Lots and lots of research opportunities. Would be very well prepared for a career in academics. Enjoyed all the residents and faculty I met with.

Cons- Really liked the old PD, didn't quite click as well with the new incoming PD. In the end my spouse and I decided if we move to Chicago we'd just prefer a shorter residency so UChicago ended up higher than Northwestern.

8) MO- Washington University-B-JH/SLCH Consortium (St. Louis)
Pros- Really really loved this program, was a bit sad to rank it this low. St. Louis is cheap with easy day to day living. Residents and faculty all super nice. PD and APDs are all very laid back. Excellent interview lunch and enjoyed the post-interview happy hour a lot too. Excellent trauma training, really an underrated program. Curriculum seems well thought out with no inpatient months.

Cons- Not as many research opportunities as other programs I looked at and would have to move for fellowship. Mix of 8-12h shifts. In the end just couldn't justify 4 years in St. Louis even though I'm sure I'd be very well trained here.

9) IN- Indiana University School of Medicine
Pros- 3 years. Residents and faculty were the nicest I met on the trail. They just seemed really happy. All 8h shifts. Indianapolis is ridiculously cheap, could live very well on a resident salary here.

Cons- Less research opportunities. Cold weather. Less employment opportunities for spouse, I think we're generally hoping for a larger city.

10) TN- Vanderbilt
Pros- 3 years. Residents seemed really happy. Nashville has pretty good cost of living. Excellent reputation in EM.

Cons- Didn't drink the Slovis kool-aid to begin with, and now that he's stepping down even less so. Far from family. TN is probably a little too southern for our taste.

11) CO- Denver Health
Pros- Really liked this program and especially connected with the PD. All the residents seemed cool. Denver seems fun. Excellent reputation and feel like Denver grads can go anywhere. Cool fellowship opportunities.

Cons- It's been said before, but I got spooked by their schedule. No shift reduction over 4 years seems rough. Never done circadian scheduling so it's hard to judge exactly how it would feel but rarely having 2 days off in a row seems rough. No family in CO so with the possible concern of residents being overworked my spouse and I just put this one towards the bottom.

12) MD- Johns Hopkins
Pros- Lots of research opportunities, cool 4th year opportunities, excellent academic preparation. Close to DC.

Cons- 4 years. Don't love Baltimore. The interview day was crazy long.

Anything else to add?
At the end of the day I would be happy to match at any program I ranked. Had a difficult time making the match list and spouse and I went back and forth over it quite a bit. In the end went with my gut feelings- #1 and #2 were the programs I was most excited about, and then from there it was a mix of proximity to family, job opportunities for spouse, 3>4 years, and location.

Also couldn't find Penn on the list of programs so I'll add it here. Ranked them 12th and Hopkins 13th.

Penn-
Pros- Love Philly. Close to NYC. Pretty affordable city with lots to do. HUP and CHOP are both excellent hospitals. Lots of research and academic opportunities.
Cons- 4 years. Didn't like the program coordinator, she was rude to several of the applicants throughout our interview day. Interview day also felt pretty chaotic. Just overall left the day feeling that I like Philly a lot more than Penn.

Programs that rejected you:
Lots, but LA County, both UCLA programs, and Cook County stung the most.

Note from @Stephanopolous : To anyone who would like to contribute or change anything, you can also PM me your ROL or any other information that was left off your submission on the spreadsheet. Your anonymity will be maintained.

Members don't see this ad.

Applicant Summary:
Board Scores: 210's/250's (USMLE)
EM Rotations: Honors/Honors/Honors
Med School Region: Southwest
Anything else that made you more competitive: Extracurriculars

Main considerations in making this ROL: Initially, I rotated and applied broadly across the country, assuming I wasn't competitive enough to be regionally selective. Once interviews started coming in, I decided staying close to home (the southwest) was more important than the absolute quality of the program to me. Thus, I chose some brand new programs in my part of the world over better programs on the East coast.

1) CA- Loma Linda
a. Pros - Strong pediatrics exposure, rotate at county hospital too, shiny new hospital about to be finished, area is very nice to live in and has lower COL compared to most of southern CA, excellent global health opportunities, close to family
b. Cons – Seventh day Adventist affiliation is obvious (limited access to caffeine, vegetarian cafeteria, etc.), inland empire traffic

2) AZ- U of A Tucson
a. Pros – resuscitation captain shifts, great sign-out culture (9 hr shifts, only pick up for 7.5), relatively good reputation and alumni network in the area, plenty of moonlighting opportunities, faculty represent just about every EM subspecialty with good fellowship match rates, Tucson is a nice place to live (except in summer)
b. Cons – Hospital network recently purchased by corporate overlords

3) NM- University of New Mexico School of Medicine
a. Pros – High volume, sick patients, great critical care exposure with active ECMO program (one of the largest EM/CC faculty in the country), felt county-like in a good way, , ultrasonographer on staff to help residents get very comfortable with US, low COL with good outdoor activities in the area
b. Cons – Big boarding problem (nowhere near enough inpatient floor beds), Albuquerque is a meh place to live besides outdoor activities, residents who were happy when I rotated here over the summer were burned out shells of themselves when I came back for an interview, PA “residency” (has been here awhile, PAs basically function like interns)

4) AZ- U of A Tucson (South Campus)
a. Pros – PD was amazing, medical Spanish curriculum integrated, still have 1/3 at U of A’s university campus, , great sign-out culture (9 hr shifts, only pick up for 7.5), residents were happy, good moonlighting opportunities, Tucson is a nice place to live
b. Cons – 2/3 of shifts at south campus is a lot (basically no trauma, lots of psych, much lower volume), hospital network recently purchased by corporate overlords

5) CA- Riverside
a. Pros – PD was awesome (from Loma Linda, wellness expert), close to family, lower COL compared to most of southern CA, good procedural exposure, nice benefits (hospital concierge, etc.)
b. Cons – HCA (but the least HCA influenced of the HCA programs I interviewed at by far), inland empire traffic, newish program (first class about to graduate)

6) NV- Sunrise
a. Pros – Faculty seemed motivated to teach, get to rotate (some) at Sunrise (community hospital, but near the strip and sees a lot), in Las Vegas (good place to live, great place to train), ten year accreditation is set which is a good sign for a new program
b. Cons – Curriculum was a bit academically intense, HCA (but didn’t seem to influence the program too much), home site is Mountain View (not a trauma center, lower acuity community site in a more affluent part of town), newish program (only a couple classes under their belt)

7) CA- Kaweah Delta (KDHCD)
a. Pros – Low COL, residents seemed happy
b. Cons – Visalia is a bit too small/remote for me (their pitch was “it’s four hours to LA/SF/basically anything to do”), PD was kind of intense/not my kind of person, share airways with anesthesia (this was a bit of a red flag to me in a somewhat lower volume level III center, but residents didn’t seem too concerned)

8) CA- Desert Regional
a. Pros – Residents seemed happy and well trained
b. Cons – Interviews were 2 on 1 and a bit intense (asked me to a name a specific attending I’d worked with and what they would say about me if contacted), Palm Springs is a bit too dependent on old snowbirds coming to town in the winter

9) TX- Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center-PLFSOM Program
a. Pros – Great SIM center, well established program
b. Cons – 12 hour shifts, seemed to expect Spanish fluency (which is fair given the patient population, I was just looking for a program where I could improve my Spanish)

10) TX- Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center at Lubbock Program
a. Pros – For a brand new program, they had well motivated faculty and lots of the details figured out, academic medical center with other established residencies
b. Cons – 12 hour shifts, Lubbock is very rural and a bit low volume, FM floor month

11) CA- Eisenhower
a. Pros – Too much money (rich old snowbirds are the majority of the patient population, showed us a swanky VIP wing on the tour and dinner was at a country club), residents seemed happy
b. Cons – Very new program (only one class currently), rotations aren’t solidified (trauma is at neighboring hospital where I interviewed the next day, and residents there were asking what had happened to the Eisenhower residents who were supposed to rotate with them), new PD wasn’t there for my interview, program honestly seemed to be motivated/run by a shadow APD who was too fresh out of residency to be the PD (but he was nice enough)

12) NY- Maimonides Medical Center (Brooklyn)
a. Pros – Some EM famous faculty, one of the few three year programs in NYC, wellness focused (residents get night off before conference, 12 hr shifts on weekends to minimize weekend shifts, etc.), awesome PD
b. Cons – Only rotate at Maimo (no exposure to other sites/styles), usual NYC program problems (residents have to sometimes draw labs/push patients to CT, have to go elsewhere for trauma, high COL, etc.), decided the East coast wasn’t for me (otherwise this program would have been higher)

13) FL- UCF HCA GME Greater Orlando
a. Pros – Gave me an interview, Florida isn’t the worst place in the world to live, have graduated a class, good EMS exposure (a couple of the first graduates went on to EMS fellowships),
b. Cons – Hospital is in Kissimmee and new to residents, HCA (Meditech, for profit, using us as cheap labor, blah blah…), newish program

14) NV- Valley
a. Pros – Only good thing about this program is that it’s in Las Vegas
b. Cons – Brand new program with no details figured out (not even basics like shift length), Vituity doctors who may or may not want to teach, you rotate at a bunch of small, low-volume, low-acuity community hospitals all over town, the PD’s former program (LSU Shreveport) is not well regarded, have to go to Sacramento (UC Davis) for trauma, seriously considered not ranking this program (and I would love to live in Vegas)

Programs you applied to:
64 in total - Highland, Allegheny, Arrowhead Regional, Atlantic Health (Morristown), Baylor, Christiana, Christus Texas A&M, Maricopa, Dartmouth Hitchcock, Denver, Desert Regional, Eisenhower, Kaiser SoCal, Kaweah Delta, Kern, Loma Linda, LSU, LSU Shreveport, Maimonides, Maine Medical, OHSU, Penn State Hershey, Prisma (South Carolina), Riverside Community, Rush, Rutgers, St. Joseph's (Stockton, CA), Stanford, Sunrise Health, Temple, Texas Tech Lubbock, Texas Tech El Paso (TTUHSC PLFSOM abcdefg), UCLA Olive View, Baystate, U of Arizona, U of Arizona South, UC Irvine, UCSD, UCSF Fresno, UCSF, UC Davis, UCF Greater Orlando, UCF Ocala, UConn, Jacksonville, U of Illinois - Peoria, U of Kentucky, U of Missouri - Columbia, Nebraska, UNLV, UNM, U of Oklahoma - Tulsa, LAC/USC, Tennessee - Chattanooga, Tennessee - Memphis, UTHSC Houston, UTHSC San Antonio, U of Utah, U of Vermont, UW, Valley Health, Vidant, Zucker Staten Island

Programs whose interviews you declined:
Mt. Sinai SLR, Christus Texas A&M, UConn, University of Oklahoma, Dartmouth Hitchcock, UCF/HCA Ocala, St. Joseph’s - Stockon, Zucker Staten Island

Programs whose interviews you attended:
Those ranked above

Allegheny, LAC/USC, UCSF – San Francisco General, Highland, Kaiser – Southern California, UCLA Olive View, OHSU, University of Utah, LSU Shreveport, University of Washington

Note from @Stephanopolous : To anyone who would like to contribute or change anything, you can also PM me your ROL or any other information that was left off your submission on the spreadsheet. Your anonymity will be maintained.

Applicant Summary:
Board Scores: 240's/250's (USMLE)
EM Rotations: Honors/Honors/Honors
AOA: Yes
Med School Region: Southwest
Anything else that made you more competitive: Great SLOEs, good grades, some published research

Main considerations in making this ROL: Quality of training and location. Prefer county > academic

1) IL- Cook County (Chicago)
Pros: Loved the culture of this program. Training is among the best in the country via high volume, acuity, and good exposure to community sites. Reputation is also great, leads to some of the best job/fellowship placement I saw on the trail. Work very hard but everyone seemed happy. One of the seemingly few programs that combines wellness, 8 hour shifts, good location, county program, training, and excellent reputation in one program. Loved how passionate they were about taking care of the underserved.

Cons: Place is super county with county problems: frequently push patients to CT (but at least don't have to do IVs), no money to support international medicine. 2 floor months

2) CA- Alameda Health- Highland Hospital
Pros: Similar to the above: great training, location, no 12 hour shifts, excellent training/reputation, county, and wellness. Really tight nit group that values teaching. Probably has a light edge in ultrasound/nerve block education to my #1. Faculty really committed to teaching

Cons: again, county problems. Area is expensive without the big city perks like Chicago. Faculty and residents were great, but a bit quirky, unsure how I would fit in with them.

3) CA- UC San Diego
Pros: academic program with dedicated faculty that seem to love to teach. Really great culture, think I would get a long with everyone really well. Excellent location, could see myself settling down in this area. Great fellowship opportunities

Cons: Very academic and consult heavy, think I would be happier with my training if I went elsewhere.

4) GA- Emory
Pros: 3 years at a super county hospital. Great clinical training and reputation. Really liked the culture and think I would fit in well with these people.

Cons: wellness is questionable, have heard many stories about unhappy residents at this program due to workload.

5) CA- USC LAC+USC (Los Angeles)
Pros: Got similar vibes to my #1 and #2. Super county hospital, with great clinical training/reputation/job placement. Great culture among the residents/staff. Loved how passionate they were about taking care of the underserved. Great job placement.

Cons: again, wellness is an issue here, the amount of 12 hour shifts seems daunting.

6) CA- LAC Harbor UCLA
Pros: great training and clinical exposure. Great reputation/wellness/job placements. Liked a lot of the faculty I met and they seem like real heavy hitters in academic emergency medicine.

Cons: didn't vibe with a lot of the residents, some people weren't as happy as at other places.

7) CO- Denver Health
Pros: great training and clinical exposure, excellent reputation and job placement. Not much to say that hasn't been said. Love how passionate they are about emergency medicine training.

Cons: didn't really vibe with their culture quite as much as other places. Although this is probably a rarity, heard stories of med students and interns not getting treated very well by senior residents. Almost clicky vibes.

8) LA- Louisiana State University (New Orleans)
Pros: love the social mission of this hospital. Patient population is really sick, there is no shortage of trauma. Has to be among the best clinical training. Enjoyed meeting a lot of the residents and faculty.

Cons: would have ranked higher, but don't like the location, have no family/friends in area.

9) MN- Hennepin
Pros: great training and dedication to teaching. Clinical beasts, dedication to becoming clinical badasses.

Cons: didn't like the PD at all, wasn't a fan of the twin cities.

10) NY- Montefiore Medical Center/Albert Einstein College of Medicine (Jacob/Montefiore) (Bronx)
Pros: as county as it gets, super high volume. Great combination of training sites. Like their use of graduated responsibility, with 3rd and 4th years seeing an incredible amount of patients. Amazing clinical training and pretty great reputation.

Cons: so many 12 hour shifts --> burn out. Didn't love the bronx, don't like the idea of commuting from manhattan to the bronx every day if I chose to live in manhattan.

11) NY- SUNY Health Science Center at Brooklyn
Pros: as county as it gets. Phenomenal clinical training. Great residents. Great camaraderie among the residents. A lot of faculty interested in teaching. Liked the idea of living in Brooklyn.

Cons: really didn't like the PD, hate the nursing culture, think I would lose my mind having to deal with that everyday.

12) NY- NYU School of Medicine
Pros: great reputation, great culture. Academic/county hybrid. True commitment to serving the underserved. Love the idea of working at the original county hospital.

Cons: acuity at bellevue, I've heard, can be low. Don't like the idea of rotating at Tisch. Community site sounds promising.

13) MD- Johns Hopkins
Pros: really sick patients, unlimited resources, think it provides great training. Like the community site, great bread and butter EM with sick patients as well. Awesome residents who I think I could get along with.

Cons: I've heard that there's not enough bread and butter at JHH, really hated all of my faculty interactions and interviews, PD seemed pretentious, and like she was overly trying to not seem pretentious (idk if that's actually true, but that's the vibe I got).

14) IL- McGaw of Northwestern University (Chicago)
Pros: great training, great community sites. I know of some really great faculty dedicated to teaching. The site at Gary seems pretty great.

Cons: really didn't like the culture of the hospital. Got really pretentious vibes. Disliked a lot of the faculty I met. Some of the residents I met seemed cocky. Seemed like they had an inferiority complex to some other Chicago programs, didn't like how they talked down about them. Would rather do all my training at Gary than at the main site. Consult heavy. Just wasn't the place for me.

Carolinas, Vanderbilt, Cinci, MGH, BIDMC

Programs from which you withdrew before hearing anything:
Umich, both DMCs, Henry Ford

UCLA, all Texas programs, all Florida programs, UChicago, BMC

Members don't see this ad :)

Applicant Summary:
Board Scores: 220's/230's (USMLE)
EM Rotations: HP/Honors/Honors
Med School Region: Northeast
Anything else that made you more competitive: Leadership in almost every club/activity, speaking engagements at conferences (non-med though), publications, worked in politics at both a federal and local level, grassroots organizing, work with refugees, strong SLOEs/LoRs

Main considerations in making this ROL: Geography! But also dedication to Social EM, and how I vibed with leadership/residents.

1) CA- UCLA David Geffen/Olive View
Pros: Rotated through here and really liked my experience. The RR ED is small, yes, and hella impacted but that kind of added to the hectic experience. I enjoy a chaotic ED, and my work experiences reflect high-intensity work environments anyways so I'm biased. I also loved the attendings at OV, almost all of whom spoke Spanish and were very conscientious about teaching and letting me be autonomous. UCLA also has so. much. money. Which means so many opportunities to do cool things and learn in cool places. IDHEAL fellowship means access to Social EM I'd be hard pressed to pass up. 20 weeks of elective time, most of which are in the fourth year, with accompanying teaching shifts throughout the fourth year. Actually seems to make the fourth year worth it (I really want to teach and do research of some kind). Los Angeles is home. New diversity initiative that's become flagship for other residency programs at the hospital, which is an encouraging sign.

Cons: Didn't get along with some of the residents as much as I wanted to. Felt a very gunner-y vibe from them, which I didn't appreciate. For being in the middle of LA, program is very white. And diversity is important to me. But their new diversity initiative did manage to hire two black residents, so progress? The attendings at RR were also very academic. They were nice, and never really rubbed their credentials in your face, but they weren't nearly as welcoming as the OV folks. Los Angeles is home, so while I can tolerate traffic, it's gotten much, much worse since I left. And COL is absurd. But 12k housing stipend should help!

2) CA- Riverside
Pros: Program Director was my favorite I met on the trail. I loved all of the interviews I had here, and felt a connection with the leadership. They were really thoughtful about their curriculum, and especially remediation. They also seemed to care about wellness in an evidence-based way, which might be too robotic, but I'll take it over random yoga classes. I also dug the spread out experience of the program, ie rotating at different places to fulfill CORD/ACGME requirements. They also have a close relationship with the medical school, which has a lot of underserved folks going there that I'd love to be of service to through workshops or mentorship. New fellowships being taught by faculty from big-name institutions and mini-fellowship track were also icing on the cake.

Cons: "O h M y G o D they're an H c A!!!" I'm over that argument. What really concerns me are fellowship opportunities afterwards. I know 2 of the graduating class were applying and interviewing, but I haven't heard back about where they've gone if they got accepted.

3) CA- UC San Diego
Pros: Nicest, friendliest, chillest residents I met all season long. Location is ideal. Lots of research opportunities in MedEd, Ultrasound, and close enough to the border to organize something social EM-ish. Lots of sites to rotate at, so there's a great variety of things to see clinically. Faculty interviews seemed super friendly, and were interested in my work outside of medicine which made me feel all warm and fuzzy. Also, best interview candidates I met on the trail. Had the most fun at this pre-interview dinner.

Cons: So many sites to rotate at! I love rotating at different sites, but this is just too many. Lack of strong social EM presence, which makes me scared they'll put all that on me (my resume screams Social EM) and I won't get much buy-in from faculty resulting in an overall unproductive and frustrating experience. Trauma experience is less than ideal, not just because trauma team there has a reputation for being toxic. Mainly, I think the ideal trauma training will have me prioritizing and making sure that my decompensating liver cirrhosis patient in one room stays alive while the trauma rolling in is also taken care of appropriately. Learning that kind of time management, for me, is what I'd like to get out of trauma training in residency. Working JUST with the trauma team on my trauma months doesn't really afford that.

4) LA- Louisiana State University (New Orleans)
Pros: Real diamond in the rough of a program. Fantastic county experience, with new faculty hires showing a sincere focus on becoming an academic/research powerhouse as well. And they have the pathology to do that! Really, really strong social EM emphasis with a diverse faculty/resident makeup to ensure that happens equitably. They are a clear example of how white allies in medicine can create/contribute to a diverse culture. Beautiful ED, with a dope pod system that allows for residents to easily help each other out. Journal clubs are super fun, and New Orleans is the best city in America outside of Los Angeles. Fight me.

Cons: It isn't in Los Angeles and geography (CA) is very important to me. If this were in CA it would be higher up the list 100%. Also, a lot of the fourth years seemed tired. Not so much burned out, but they didn't really know what they were doing with their fourth year. Most were just moonlighting, but it doesn't seem like the program's really figured out why they should keep folks for an extra year. And the fourth-years are feeling that. Cafeteria sucks (I'm grasping at straws here obviously. I really, really loved this program).

5) CA- Loma Linda
Pros: The PD was a little weird, but for me he came off as mostly chill and relaxed. Someone I'd like to be friends with outside of the ED. They have a new, active emphasis on diversity and it came straight from the residents which I appreciated. New ED coming towards the second year, meaning fancy digs! Huge emphasis on MedEd that's backed up by a lot of success in the area. One of the last few "prestigious" three year programs in CA.

Cons: Did not vibe with the residents at all. Granted, my pre-interview dinner was marred by the presence of a particularly annoying candidate who made everyone feel uncomfortable. BUT, still, just didn't vibe with them. Multiple stories of residents being burnt out in their first year, which the program was addressing, but still made me wary. To be fair, each resident that told their story of burnout also said that the program leadership were incredibly supportive and helpful, which is great. Feels like the burnout isn't from the program itself, but something else in the hospital.

6) NY- Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell at Staten Island
Pros: There are so many similarly named NYC programs, I'm praying this is the correct one lol. Just in case, this is meant to be Staten Island University Hospital. Anyways, if there's any NYC program that were to accept me, I'd hope it'd be this one. Great, three year program with an emphasis on MedEd and Admin - my two passions! Felt like the PD was a really passionate salesman and really gave a ****. Residents kept rotating through the interview room during the day, probably mainly for food, but were also super open and willing to talk about their program. Even shut up a candidate who wouldn't stop focusing on trauma experience. Very diverse resident makeup as well.

Cons: NYC is far from home. Staten Island is Staten Island, and while 50% of residents lived in Brooklyn that is also very expensive. I know, COL in LA is high too, but I know LA better. The devil you know, right? Also, the APD spent 90% of my interview talking about how far Staten Island is from CA. I almost said, "Dude, you asked me to interview here, why are you bringing this up?" It was very frustrating talking to him, but otherwise the interviewers were great and helped me feel welcome.

7) CA- Kaweah Delta (KDHCD)
Pros: AMAZING street medicine program that just started, so there's plenty of room for growth. Had the single best interview of the trail with one of the faculty there, who is involved with policy work which is my jam. Weird pathology, great COL, and one of the board members for the hospital is an EM doc so if there's a research project, or a cool toy you want, he can help get it. Also plenty of opportunity to learn the admin side of things.

Cons: Program director. Worst. Interview. Ever. First thing she said to me, "Your work history is very interesting!" Me: Yeah, I guess so! PD: So were you born here? Me: What the ****? Obviously, I didn't say "What the ****" but how do you go from one thing to another? The rest of the interview was just as bad. She interrogated me about my heritage (my parents are immigrants, I was born in the US), then proceeded to interrogate me about gaps in my work history (I have six months off between ending my time in politics and going to grad school, during which I studied for the MCAT/GRE/applied to grad school). After five minutes of this bull****, she says, "Do you have any questions?" And for 15 minutes (20m interviews at Kaweah) I'm scrambling to ask question after question to make sure she knows I'm interested. All of this would be humdrum subtle racism if it weren't for my last interviewer of the day, who told me straight up that I was brave for putting my political work on my resume. "Why?" I asked. "Because the PD is a Republican." And boom it all made sense.

Being a Republican isn't bad. My mom is one. Being a Republican who lets your political views color how you see potential residents, to the point where you are being told you are brave for discussing your freaking work history in a RESUME, now that's insidious ****. This program would be last if it weren't for how awful the last program ended up being.

8) NH- Dartmouth-Hitchcock/Mary Hitchcock Memorial Hospital
Pros: Great faculty, strong relationship with TDI (the public health school at Dartmouth), get to learn at SHOCK in Baltimore. I actually really like the Program Director. He's straightforward and blunt, but so am I and I appreciate how honest he is with himself and about the program's flaws.

Cons: Rural area, some faculty were really rude during my sub-I, more of a Wilderness/Austerity EM focused program than a Social EM program. I'm also a little tired of being a token POC. Otherwise, genuinely lovely.

9) CA- Eisenhower
Pros: Beautiful ED. So damn pristine. Family, and yourself, get to be treated in the luxury, Beyonce suites at the hospital. New program, so lots of room for growth. Best food in terms of pre-interview dinner. The two attendings who helped build this program felt genuinely kind and welcoming. You could feel the pride they had in creating this new program.

Cons: Didn't like the residents. During pre-interview dinner, two white residents were talking about an attending, saying, "He's sort of your stereotypical Asian." They both stopped, realizing what they had said was ****ed up. THEN THEY KEPT GOING. "Oh, you know what I mean, he's like super cheap, but we love him!" Come on guy! Don't dig yourself into a hole! Another resident described patients as ******s, and that was it for me. I was done with the program before I even got to the interview. I totally understand venting about patients, but at a pre-interview dinner? Where you're trying to sell a REALLY new program? Come on. The PD also interrupted me every other word as I tried to answer his questions, tried to guess my race, and was reading my resume in front of me, asking questions about random things that caught his eye. Didn't like the candidates I was interviewing with either (yeah, I know, that's super variable but it really did put a pall on the day). Like, I understand saying things like, "Oh wow, that's cool!" or "That's what makes me interested in this program!". But when that's ALL that comes out of your mouth, or your every other word is, "Wow, that's what makes this the PERFECT program!" you're very obviously sucking up and it hurts me physically to be around that. Overall, I hated this day.

None T_T

A lot. Applied to 48, only got interviews/invites at 9. 3 waitlists that never materialized into anything.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

Applicant Summary:
Board Scores: 200's/240's (USMLE)
EM Rotations: Pass/Honors
Med School Region: Northeast
Anything else that made you more competitive: EMT for a year, interesting/unique extracurriculars, otherwise was a very average to below average applicant

Main considerations in making this ROL: Quality of training, fit with residents, location, gut feeling

1) DE- Christiana
Pros: Huge encatchment area, 1 on 1 with attendings, very long established and well respected program, got along with residents, loved my rotation there, 8 hour shifts, great salary compared to COL

Cons: no overlapping shifts, Wilmington is not the best area to live (though Trolley square seems nice and Philly is only 45 mins away or so), Cerner not EPIC

2) PA- Thomas Jefferson University
Pros: Love Philly, with Hahnemann closure there’s a significant increase in patient population as well as pathology, residents seemed really happy to be at Jefferson, PD seems really cool

Cons: Lots of different sites requiring a car (and parking in Philly is expensive), residents seemed a little overwhelmed and increasing the class size to 17 - will there be enough shifts/teaching/patients per resident?

3) PA- Reading Hospital Program
Pros: Rotated here, Extremely busy ED with a huge pathology, 24 hour live spanish translators, loved working with the attendings, residents were all fun to get along with too, new PD is wonderful, benefits are nice

Cons: Boy was that interview day weird...group interviews, interview with the program coordinator, still having growing pains, heard that some residents are a little worried about the immediate future with older PD leaving abruptly, no graduated class yet

4) PA- St. Luke's University Hospital (Bethlehem)
Pros: residents are all really happy, good pathology, Really liked the PD (gets you out of BS grand rounds on like teamwork/whatnot), Ultrasound is a huge strength of St. Lukes, pretty well established alumni base

Cons: Bethlehem? I may or may not enjoy it, had a better gut feeling about the above programs than St Luke’s

5) GA- WellStar Kennestone Regional (Marietta)
Pros: Felt like the Reading program of the south (two years of residents, really busy ED, great benefits), PD seems great though he can rub people the wrong way, got along with residents, building new ED That looks beautiful and has a ton of beds plus social worker in the ED

Cons: OB is the biggest problem with unsure OB rotation, not too strong of a peds rotation, I don’t think I’m cut out for the South with that humidity (Lived in arizona for much of my life and still don’t understand how to function with high humidity outside)

6) NJ- Rutgers New Jersey Medical School
Pros: residents were all amazing (I got to dinner late and told them that I was tired because I drove for like 5 hours, and their response was “so what are you going to be drinking?”), all the residents seemed like a true family, liked the PD, underserved population

Cons: 4 years :(, 12 hour shifts, I think Jersey City is too busy for me to enjoy living in, was a little weird that when we were waiting for interviews we sat in on the resident lectures

7) LA- Ochsner
Pros: they seemed really happy about me interviewing there, got along with leadership, that food... ya boy’s gonna get fat if he goes to NOLA, hospital looks really rich and nice

Cons: Brand new program; someone mentioned that because of the really sick patients, the first few hours of each shift is really busy but then it’s a waiting game until they get transferred upstairs and a new room opens up, It was ridiculously warm/humid when running outside in December so I don’t think I can handle the summers there

8) NY- SUNY Upstate (Syracuse)
Pros: Loved the PD, residents seem really happy, you can do any fellowship afterwards/make your own fellowship, sick patients and lots of pathology

Cons: Bad vibes from the interviews - they seemed to not have read my application and asked the exact same question to me 4 times, residents at the dinner emphasized that they aren’t worked really hard compared to their peers and one hinted that first year ICU rotations were chill (I want to work hard during residency and during my ICU rotations). Just didn’t feel like a good fit both ways

Anything Else To Add?
I’m really hoping to match in my top 4 but we’ll see what happens :)
I was also hoping to get to 10 interviews but oh well... last year’s data says a 87% chance of matching with 8 interviews and I like to think I interview average to well.
So yeah, I rarely (if ever) see a post with my programs listed and my stats. If you struggled with step 1, just work hard and things will work themselves out. Trust the process. Good luck! You got this :))!
Hindsight: probably really try securing a third EM rotation and do well on it - VSAS was rough with a 200-205 step 1 score yo. I got rejected by like everyone. There was no reason I should have applied to Texas schools but oh well

Programs you applied to:
Oh boy. Most every 3 year program in the northeast, parts of the midwest and south. A total of like 56

I ain’t got that luxury

Programs from which you withdrew before hearing anything:
I ain’t got that luxury either

Allegheny before Oct 10th (oh boy does my hatred for Pittsburgh rage stronger — Steelers vs Cardinals ‘08 is why), and then like every other place I applied to that didn’t interview me but Allegheny stung because it was before any interviews came in

I am finding this extremely difficult to decide where to apply for auditions

I am finding this extremely difficult to decide where to apply for auditions

Talk to your 4th years about where they had the best experience. They can be a far better resource than SDN

9) CA- Eisenhower
Pros: Beautiful ED. So damn pristine. Family, and yourself, get to be treated in the luxury, Beyonce suites at the hospital. New program, so lots of room for growth. Best food in terms of pre-interview dinner. The two attendings who helped build this program felt genuinely kind and welcoming. You could feel the pride they had in creating this new program.

Cons: Didn't like the residents. During pre-interview dinner, two white residents were talking about an attending, saying, "He's sort of your stereotypical Asian." They both stopped, realizing what they had said was ****ed up. THEN THEY KEPT GOING. "Oh, you know what I mean, he's like super cheap, but we love him!" Come on guy! Don't dig yourself into a hole! Another resident described patients as ******s, and that was it for me. I was done with the program before I even got to the interview. I totally understand venting about patients, but at a pre-interview dinner? Where you're trying to sell a REALLY new program? Come on. The PD also interrupted me every other word as I tried to answer his questions, tried to guess my race, and was reading my resume in front of me, asking questions about random things that caught his eye. Didn't like the candidates I was interviewing with either (yeah, I know, that's super variable but it really did put a pall on the day). Like, I understand saying things like, "Oh wow, that's cool!" or "That's what makes me interested in this program!". But when that's ALL that comes out of your mouth, or your every other word is, "Wow, that's what makes this the PERFECT program!" you're very obviously sucking up and it hurts me physically to be around that. Overall, I hated this day.
As a counterbalance (and also sorry this happened to you)

Their residents were my favorite all season, thats one of the reasons I ranked them so high.

All of them super down to earth, and I think only two of them were white (not that it matters) but i guess it kind of does since you accusing them of saying racist shyt

As a counterbalance (and also sorry this happened to you)

Their residents were my favorite all season, thats one of the reasons I ranked them so high.

All of them super down to earth, and I think only two of them were white (not that it matters) but i guess it kind of does since you accusing them of saying racist shyt
kinda sounds like you're invalidating this poster's experience tbh. also interesting that you loved these residents so much, you're prob just like them

kinda sounds like you're invalidating this poster's experience tbh. also interesting that you loved these residents so much, you're prob just like them
lol ok buddy

EVERYONES RACIST!!!

there, now stop hyperventilating

The most hungover I’ve ever been was due to the drinking I did on the Sunday night before Match Monday. Three long years ago.

Good luck, my friends.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
With your toxic post history I’m not at all surprised you had to SOAP this year. karma’s a bitch isn’t it?
lol whatever buddy

cool throwaway account, mighty courageous on an already anon website

WERE ALL RACIST - implicit bias!!!!

Ok great there now let's get back to trashing beloved programs based on a 4 hour interaction.

Matched at Baystate!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
Matched at York Hospital !!

Reactions: 5 users
Matched at Christus Health in Corpus Christi, TX

Matched a little further down my rank list that I would have liked (#5) but overall excited about going there. Honestly I was one of those people who was just happy I matched on Monday and didn't really care where. I did an away rotation and LOVED LOVED LOVED the program and all the people, just the location put it lower down my list. But hey I can be happy on the beach for 3 years.

Reactions: 11 users
For any attendings or residents on here, did you match to somewhere low on your list or somwhere you were just unhappy with on match day? But it ended up being a good program for you in the end? Seeking advice because I’m currently in that situation. Bummed about the location I matched at because I’ll be doing long distance with my wife. But very grateful to have matched.

100%

Still remember this feeling like it was yesterday and it’s been 20 years.

Sucks about being separated from your wife though. Is she in medicine too? No way to come with you?

For any attendings or residents on here, did you match to somewhere low on your list or somwhere you were just unhappy with on match day? But it ended up being a good program for you in the end? Seeking advice because I’m currently in that situation. Bummed about the location I matched at because I’ll be doing long distance with my wife. But very grateful to have matched.

Sorry to hijack this, but I’m in a very similar boat. I matched at my last ranked program and although I am happy that I’m going to become an ER physician, I don’t know how my well-being will be living so far away from family and a significant other. Any thoughts on how often a PGY2 spot becomes open in a more desirable location (aka closer to family/SO) in case I end up hating where I live for residency? Or if it’s even possible to switch later on? I know the worst case scenario is it’s only 3 years. And those three years will go by quickly

Matched at York Hospital !!

I worked there as a nurse right before I applied to medical school! I’m definitely planning on applying for residency here, it’s one of the few systems I’ve worked for/with that I would LOVE to return to. Congrats!

I worked there as a nurse right before I applied to medical school! I’m definitely planning on applying for residency here, it’s one of the few systems I’ve worked for/with that I would LOVE to return to. Congrats!

This is where I did my residency.

Thanks ! I am excited to get started. Let me know if you have any questions when you end up applying there.

Interesting to see John Peter Smith (JPS) again has poor reviews here and on the spreadsheet. Heard quite a lot of unpleasant info about the program this year from both rotators and interviewees while on the trail. Malignant attendings, minimal teaching on shift, not much job placement help to some upper levels residents etc. I remember they also got hit hard a couple of years ago in the "where did you have a great EM rotation" thread. As a former Texan with family still in that area, this is sad to see. The acuity and volume is definitely there, so not sure why they are not doing better. What is going on over there?

Current PGY3 at JPS here! That is very interesting that there are certain perceptions like that about JPS. I can help open up a conversation to honestly speak to these viewpoints. The program itself is not malignant, but it is a tough program. I feel that sometimes students can misconstrue this. I, myself, have faced the most challenging times of my professional life with this residency. The volume and acuity are nationally competitive, especially if you calculate the provider to patient ratios. Just by scraping through and graduating from this program, you will be prepared for any job. There is not a paucity of teaching. JPS attendings have really mastered the 'teaching on the go' style where you apply practical medicine in real time. And trust- with this, you will never forget your anxiety, that moment in time clinical gestalt and the decision between different tiers of treatment options that ran through your head at that time. and the next time you have that overwhelming presence of that familiar feeling, you'll know what to do! all of our current upper level residents, myself included, have really stepped up with teaching! It's no wonder that more than half of our current intern class got to intubate their first patients within their first few shifts as doctors! as far as job placement, none of our graduating class struggled to find a job at all! Hopefully, I addressed some of these viewpoints for you! Feel free to reach out if there are any follow up questions or concerns!

Absolutely. This is going to be long. Sit down.

We have a scoring system Ive used for years and continue to adapt. Our PD gives me full reigns on interview selection and scoring, which I greatly appreciate since its the favorite part of my job. I review all the applicants the week of the interview and pick apart the app, scoring individual components like school grades, boards, quartile rank, leadership experience, and first 2 sloes. Each one is weighted with a multiplier based on importance. Sloes>boards>rank/clinical grades>preclin grades. Some only account for a few points, some become a ton of points. At the time of the interview directly after, 3 interviews give each candidate a blinded 1-10 score which is an objective assessment of how much you want to match that person based on their app and interview, and we give a composite 1-10 score based on their 3 scores.

All that part I took from my residency’s scoring system which they gave me. I changed it and tweaked it, changed some multipliers here and there, etc. I reevaluate it every year.

For the rank list, we used to start with a list of highest total app score to lowest but found that it led to a ton of juggling of candidates that people liked and disliked based on resident feedback at our list meeting. Afterall, someone could score decently with a HUGE red flag or someone could be a clinical all star with a great personality but just lower med school performance. So we found the total app score to be helpful most of the time, but there were definitely a percentage of apps that it over or under ranked based on how we actually wanted people.

So I came up with a new way to do our rank list 2 years ago and it works really well. I look at only the interviewer “how much do I want to work with this candidate” scores and look at their distribution across all candidates, it comes out to a pretty good bell curve. Based on that bell curve we start by ranking people based on their total score but within their interview tiers.

This year:

8-10 scores (the people we liked best) were almost 20%
7s 20%
6s 20%
5s 20%
1-4 20%

So basically the people that have the highest “we want to get that person” score are ranked within their respective quintile by their total app score. Then the next quintile. Then the next. Etc.

Once I do that to our list, it really comes out of the gate pretty darn accurate how we want people. I then go over this tiered list with the residents in a 2-3 hour rank list slide show and we talk about every single candidate, positives, negatives, red flags, etc. they make further recommendations to move people up or down a bit, but for the most part, there isnt a ton of major movement unless there is some major revelation. It happens. One candidate called one of our residents a bitch to another resident one year and that came out. He got DNR. So the resident feedback is always important bc you never know what will come out.

After the resident/faculty list conference, the PD and I meet one last time over breakfast and go back through the list and discuss making changes based on the notes I take at the resident conference. We finalize the list, send the final rank list powerpoint to our program coordinator, and she submits The names in order into the match system.

This was so interesting, thank you so much for going into all that detail. This post should be stickied/marked.

I'm curious, do you guys go back and look at what percentage of the matched residents fall in your top 20% vs 40% vs 60% and so forth? If so, would you mind sharing what percentage of your matched residents come from which tier of your submitted rank list?

It changes every year. Most years we'll get 1-2 of our top 10, a few of our top 1/3, a few in the mid 1/3, and sometimes go into the low 1/3, though that's only happened once in the past 5 years. If you look at national statistics, the average program goes 2/3 of the way down their list to match their last spot. Last year, we hit all 8 spots in our top 1/3, which was a remarkable year for us. The year before we went down lower than our average. You'll get statistical anomalies on both ends. Which is why you don't overreact, good or bad, to any one year.

For everyone stalking this thread remember not to go crazy reading into these ranks.

As a student I’d read this and think “Wow! Denver’s number one and Podunk General Hospital, Haircare, and Tire Center is number 12. What a disaster it’d be for them to match at 12.”

The reality, after always, interview season and now being a resident, is that the variations in programs are far less significant than you’d imagine. The difference in the caliber of training itself is minimal. Every place I went fell somewhere on the spectrum of “solid training but not my style” to “these are my people, and the medicine seems good too.”

Learners and programs can both have different styles, but the training is solid almost everywhere. So don’t let internet people trick you into thinking the only way to learn EM is the way they do it at LA County.

Reactions: 3 users
For everyone stalking this thread remember not to go crazy reading into these ranks.

As a student I’d read this and think “Wow! Denver’s number one and Podunk General Hospital, Haircare, and Tire Center is number 12. What a disaster it’d be for them to match at 12.”

The reality, after always, interview season and now being a resident, is that the variations in programs are far less significant than you’d imagine. The difference in the caliber of training itself is minimal. Every place I went fell somewhere on the spectrum of “solid training but not my style” to “these are my people, and the medicine seems good too.”

Learners and programs can both have different styles, but the training is solid almost everywhere. So don’t let internet people trick you into thinking the only way to learn EM is the way they do it at LA County.

It really boils down to where do you want to live or who do you want to work with for 3 years for most applicants.

Really great post, and so spot on.

The only caveat I would say deals with the rise of CMG sponsored residencies that are popping up everywhere. Some of them seem appealing to folks, especially with them popping up in fairly desirable cities. One of my colleagues from residency works as an "academic physician" in one of these CMG sponsored residencies and doesn't stop talking about the abysmal training the residents receive.

There are probably upwards of 150 EM residencies in the country that are all great and will get you awesome training.

Competitiveness in EM residencies, from my experience is not based on quality of training. It's usually based on location most of the time. It also just so happens that many of the residencies in good locations (Denver, LA, Seattle, etc) also provide good training. That's not to say any of the other programs won't give you the same quality.

Applicant Summary:
Board Scores: 230's/260's (USMLE) 550's/>700 (COMLEX)
EM Rotations: PF/Unsure/Unsure/Pass
Med School Region: Northwest
Anything else that made you more competitive: Left blank

Main considerations in making this ROL:
Location, quality of training, resident vibes

1) CA- Desert Regional
2) NY- Albany Medical Center
3) AZ- Midwestern University (Kingman)
4) PA- Reading Hospital Program
5) NE- University of Nebraska Medical Center Program
6) OH- Doctors Hospital/OhioHealth Program
7) OK- Oklahoma State University Center for Health Sciences (Tulsa) Program

Just curious: what do you attribute that bump from step 1 to step 2???

Just curious: what do you attribute that bump from step 1 to step 2???
It's quite unlikely that your will get a response, as it says right in the first line: "posted ANONYMOUSLY via Google Form" (my emphasis added). Not impossible, just very unlikely.

It's quite unlikely that your will get a response, as it says right in the first line: "posted ANONYMOUSLY via Google Form" (my emphasis added). Not impossible, just very unlikely.
Got it thank you for the heads up.

Really? My impression was that residents get most of their procedure in during these floor months bc theyre expected as the EM resident to know their stuff, and end up doing most of the procedure. They also mentioned these floor months really what build their knowledge to take care of the sicker patients they see as they become 3rd 4th years
Thoughts on replacing the floor months with with ICU time instead ?

Applicant Summary:
Board Scores: 240's/250's (USMLE)
EM Rotations: Honors/PF/PF/PF/PF
Med School Region: Southeast

Main considerations in making this ROL: post- residency job placement, program strength/rep, location

1) FL- Orlando Health
2) FL- U of FL Jacksonville
3) FL- USF Tampa
4) FL- Jackson Memorial (Miami)
5) MA- University of Massachusetts (Worcester)
6) KY- University of Louisville
7) LA- LSU Baton Rouge
8) FL- UF Gainesville
9) NH- Dartmouth
10) NY- NY Presbyterian
11) FL- Florida Atlantic University
12) FL- UCF HCA Greater Orlando

Hey, can you explain why you ranked Orlando Health #1 ? Pros/cons of your top 2 or 3?

I don’t think you’re going to get a reply to an anonymously posted rank list from two years ago.

Especially considering that person couldn’t be bothered to write explanations originally.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Applicant Summary:
Board Scores: 230's/260's (USMLE) 550's/>700 (COMLEX)
EM Rotations: PF/Unsure/Unsure/Pass
Med School Region: Northwest

Main considerations in making this ROL:
Location, quality of training, resident vibes

1) CA- Desert Regional
2) NY- Albany Medical Center
3) AZ- Midwestern University (Kingman)
4) PA- Reading Hospital Program
5) NE- University of Nebraska Medical Center Program
6) OH- Doctors Hospital/OhioHealth Program
7) OK- Oklahoma State University Center for Health Sciences (Tulsa) Program

Hey, would you be willing to expand on your rank list? Specifically about Desert Regional and Kingman.

Status
Not open for further replies.