[2019-2020] Emergency Medicine Rank Order List Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we filter these garbage ROLs from being posted?
Yea there’s no way, unless the order somehow got messed up.

Poster looking for reputation, location, and in house fellowships ranks a new program in west Florida where there are no in house fellowships and the average age is 104. Over Carolinas, denver, bama, and cook lol.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I have no problem deleting them, as long as enough of us agree that they're fake/trash

Members don't see this ad :)
I have no problem deleting them, as long as enough of us agree that they're fake/trash

Pleeeeease and thanks! I can't obviously speak for everyone, but I think it's monumentally clear that some of these are fake, especially the one that has been commented on above.

Reactions: 1 users
Posted anonymously via Google Form.

Applicant Summary:
Board Scores: left blank
EM Rotations: Honors/PF/High Pass
AOA: No
Med School Region: left blank
Anything else that made you more competitive: Left blank

Main considerations in making this ROL: high volume/pathology, good CC training, early autonomy and trust, fit with residents, cohesiveness of entire dept (nurses, techs etc)

1) OH- U of Cincinnati
legendary program, incredibly laid back and nice but accomplishing big things. Helicopter program sounds bada**, incredible job/fellow placements, EM is highly respected in the hospital/ on off service rotations, CC great. Cinci was a better city than I expected. Loved every single thing

2) MO- U of Missouri Kansas City
big surprise for me, KC way bigger of a city than I thought. Best program within the hospital with good national rep too, actively recruited for CC fellowships. Faculty trained all over the country and have big connections fob job placement. huge turn out at dinner and lunch and clicked with every resident I met. PD IS A GEM. autonomy is awesome with interns getting to cherry pick sick patients and get hardcore training early before worrying about learning to run a department during pgy 2/3

3) NC- Wake Forest
huge rep, huge alumni base, huge research going on. supportive faculty on developing your interests - big into FOAMed, EMS, CC. Maximize your time in the ED and ICU, very little off service. nice schedule, everyone seemed happy. Only con is winston -salem; not a bad city, just not a big city -- as a single guy it may minimize my dating options.

4) GA- Emory
Great training, heavy CC, committed faculty in every niche of EM you can imagine, but seems like you work your A** off! Honestly, I got great vibes the entire day, the PD was incredible, but can't decide if I am ready for intense 3 years -- maybe I'll stop being lazy and move this one up some. Atlanta is a cool city big opportunities all around. Autonomy to the max starting day 1 without pressure to see certain # until 1/2 way into pgy1 -- running entire huge pods by pgy2. best trauma split I saw anywhere that sounded like it ran smooth. Definitely would come out a cowboy

5) NC- University of NC
Similar to wake forest - big names with a good reputation. EM doesn't seem like the strongest within the hospital so not quite as much respect on off service. Less time within the ED - a couple residents made comments about being consult heavy as a con. Autonomy as an intern was nice, but not if consulting out all the sick patients.

6) FL- U of FL Jacksonville
Seemed like a worse Emory to me -- not that they are bad, but just similar in every way without being emory. A couple residents mentioned being abused on off service "at the beck and call of the surgeons" Interns hated their life, but by pgy3 they had it nice. I didn't vibe well with the split between intermediate care and intensive care (or whatever they call the 2 sections) with only 25% pgy1 in the sick side -- I am looking for more autonomy on the front end of things. The ED was pretty overcrowded and run down - typical for county, but it seemed more extreme here. Overall, i'm sure they still come out well trained, but maybe not the most pleasant experience.

7) AL- University of Alabama
Good vibes from the residents and the PD - all seemed happy, I just wasn't sold on the level of training. I'm looking for a perfect balance of good training with quality of life and I think they lean a bit too far on QOL for me. CC months at the bare minimum, interns coddled in the lower acuity pods, even once you run your own pod as a pgy2/3 they are so small (8-10 beds) you aren't seeing the numbers that residents at big institutions are seeing - worried how that may effect job prospects. Also, still a little too new for me with not a huge alumni network.

8) OH- Case Western Reserve (MetroHealth)
I like the mix between county and academic - I was expecting this to be higher on my list, but I just didn't get good vibes on my IV day. Not any 1 con stood out just my gut wasn't in it. Cool helicopter experiences and I think they come out well trained. Cleveland is meh.

9) AR- University of Arkansas
actually loved my day here! Don't want to live in Little Rock, reputation isn't quite where I want it to be. Seem to have a lot of admit hold issues within the hospital. Also, like UAB, leaned a little far on the QOL spectrum for my liking

10) VA- University of Virginia
Charlottesville is small, trauma volume low, consult heavy

11) KS- University of Kansas
too new for me, still working kinks out, EM one of the newer and thus less respected specialities in the hospital

12) OH- Case Western Reserve University/ University Hospitals Cleveland
on probation now

Anything else to add?
really looking for that balance of good training and QOL, open to feedback - still may makes some moves

Note from @Stephanopolous : To anyone who would like to contribute or change anything, you can also PM me your ROL or any other information that was left off your submission on the spreadsheet. Your anonymity will be maintained.

FYI, per ACGME, University Hospitals Cleveland program is no longer on probation as of 1/9/2020

Applicant Summary:
Board Scores: 240's/250's (USMLE)
EM Rotations: Honors/Honors
Med School Region: Northeast

Main considerations in making this ROL: Left blank

1) MA- University of Massachusetts (Worcester)
2) NJ- Cooper Medical School of Rowan University
3) IL- Cook County (Chicago)
4) CO- Denver Health
5) ME- Maine Medical Center
6) NY- Stony Brook Medicine
7) NY- Albany Medical Center
8) RI- Brown University Program
9) DC- MedStar Health/Georgetown

Note from @Stephanopolous : To anyone who would like to contribute or change anything, you can also PM me your ROL or any other information that was left off your submission on the spreadsheet. Your anonymity will be maintained.

Last edited:

Applicant Summary:
Board Scores: 625's/625's (COMLEX)
EM Rotations: High Pass/Honors/Honors/High Pass

Main considerations in making this ROL: Personal fit, gut feeling

1) PA- Conemaugh Memorial Medical Center Program
Faculty are very passionate and seem happy. HUGE catchment area. Good mix of community and academic feel. Unique pathology due to its location.

2) AL- University of Alabama
The people were awesome. Birmingham is cool. I like the idea of tracks in residency.

3) FL- HCA West Florida GME Consortium Brandon
PD was one of the coolest I met on the trail. We come from the same hometown.

4) CO- Denver Health
Surprised with the resident turnout at dinner. There is an uplifting energy from residents. The shadow shift was awesome. I just wish there was more wellness built into the program. Legendary program otherwise.

5) CA- USC LAC+USC (Los Angeles)
The ultimate in clinical training. Trial by fire speaks to me. Their mission and dedication to the underserved is inspiring. I feel like when you graduate you're able to handle anything that comes through the doors. 4 years of 12 hour shifts is too much. Cost of living and traffic are bad.

6) LA- Louisiana State University Baton Rouge
SEC west football. I-10. Close to boyfriend's family.

7) OH- University of Cincinnati Medical Center/College of Medicine Program
Would've been ranked higher but Cincinnati was depressing.

8) PA- Crozer-Chester Medical Center Program
Faculty are mostly new attendings and easy to relate to. Very happy residents. Cons are low ED volume and location.

9) WA- University of Washington Program (Seattle)
Very off-putting interview with the PD. Still a newer program without much of an alumni network.

10)CA- Stanford
Stanford name, network and resources. New hospital is beautiful. Great wilderness medicine and global health. High salary. Four years in a high cost of living area is absurd. A lot of driving through traffic in between sites.

11) FL- Orange Park
PD was hilarious on interview day and his PowerPoint with memes was on point. Acuity was concerning and location isn't ideal.

12) CA- Alameda Health- Highland Hospital
Another legendary County program in Oakland. Clinical training is outstanding but limited research opportunities. I drank the koolaid and it tasted amazing. Would love to train here but boyfriend is not keen on the location.

13) IL- Cook County (Chicago)
EM powerhouse, residents seemed happy. Chicago cost of living is high. Too many floor months. Fourth year is questionable.

• Hmm
  • Wow

Applicant Summary:
Board Scores: 240's/240's (USMLE)
Med School Region: Southeast
Anything else that made you more competitive: Leadership positions, dual degree, excellent personal statement per all PDs

Main considerations in making this ROL: Left blank

1) GA- Emory
Really loved this place, which came out of nowhere for me. The PD was wonderful, and I got along very well with the residents. Didnt know Atlanta was such a cool place! Grady looks like a beast, but one I feel I couldn't leave being anything but a great EM physician. Diversity is championed here, which I appreciate as URM - they dont just talk about it either, they live it and rank candidates accordingly. Gave me the warm and fuzzies - so much so that I messaged my SO during the tour to let her know I was ranking them #1.

2)TX- University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston Program
Liked this place - new ED being built, great diversity in environments (county/community/academic), the acuity is there so you will leave having seen a number of things. I would be lying if I didn't mention I have ties to the area that make me prefer it. I got along okay with the residents when meeting them - one in particular soured me on the experience but after deeper reflection I actually really enjoyed my interview and the things I heard. PD is great. For me, I could see myself being supported and successful here.

3) MN- Hennepin
Loved the program. Can tell they work their butts off - also in an enviable position as a county system with way more resources than the norm. Faculty are very decorated and top notch, and graduates will have no issue finding jobs. If I were single, they would be my #2. My SO would not thrive in MN, both because of the weather half the year and their job has regional nuances. I dont anticipate falling to my #3, but I would secretly be thrilled to match here to my SO's chagrin.

4) IL- Rush University (Chicago)
Newer program, still working out kinks. I like new - felt fresh. PD was very kind and I could tell he was someone it would be great to work with. More academic than I care for, but is mitigated with a decent amount of experiences outside of Rush. Chicago is beautiful, but again, cold! I liked the residents and I liked the feel of this place.

5) NC- Duke University Hospital
I left the interview high on this place and came down slowly in the months since. Largely academic, which for me isnt quite my speed. They also have some weird integration of PAs I learned about, enough to spook me. Residents were fantastic - it was my second best 'fit' culturally. The PD is nice but a little odd, in an endearing way. Interview day went well. Tough place geographically for my SO's work, but NC and the area are beautiful IMO.

6) TX- Texas A&M College of Medicine-Scott and White Medical Center (Temple) Program
If this program were urban, it would be my #2. The culture, the residents, the faculty - everything. Everyone was so kind and I was so impressed with the training. Some of the highest amount of peds, by the hours, you can get. Community/academic but had some crazy census numbers in the summer. My problem is Temple, the physical location, both for my SOs work and for my sanity-- I just know that it is important to me.

Anything else to add?
While I interviewed in about 13-14 places kind of all over, I won't be sharing the rest of my rankings because I am confident I will match somewhere I've listed above. As a result, I've nothing insightful to say about why or how I ranked the remaining programs, only that culture and fit mattered a lot to me.

Programs You Applied To:
OHSU, UNLV, TAMU BS&W, Dell UT Austin, McGovern Houston, UTSA, Baylor, Hackensack, Chicago, Rush, Loma Linda, U Tenn Murfeesboro, Wake Forest, UNC, Carolinas, NYU, Cincy, Mayo, Harvard Beth-Israel, Denver, U Wisconsin, Regions MN, Emory, Rush, Temple, Thomas Jefferson, Duke, UNC, Vanderbilt

Programs whose interviews you declined:
UNLV, Loma Linda, Cincy, Wake Forest, Mayo, Regions

Programs that rejected you:
Vanderbilt, Denver, Temple, Thomas Jefferson, OHSU, Hackensack, Carolinas, Wisconsin, Harvard BI

Applicant Summary:
Board Scores: 230's/240's (USMLE) 650s/625s (COMLEX)
EM Rotations: Choose this if only Pass/Fail grading was available for this rotation/Choose this if only Pass/Fail grading was available for this rotation/Choose this if only Pass/Fail grading was available for this rotation
Med School Region: Illinois

Main considerations in making this ROL: Vibe, interest in MedEd

1) NY- Maimonides Medical Center (Brooklyn)
2) MD- University of Maryland
3) TX- University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston Program
4) FL- Kendall Regional (Miami) (HCA)
5) NY- Brookdale University Hospital & Medical Center (Brooklyn)
6) WI- Medical College of Wisconsin Affiliated Hospitals Program (Milwaukee)
7) NY- Lincoln Medical & Mental Health Center Program (Bronx)
8) IL- Swedish Covenant (Chicago)
9) IL- University of Illinois College of Medicine at Peoria
10) MI- Lakeland Health (Saint Joseph)
11) NY- Brooklyn Hospital Center Program

Applicant Summary:
Board Scores: 230's/250's (USMLE)
EM Rotations: Choose this if only Pass/Fail grading was available for this rotation/Honors/Honors
Med School Region: Midwest
Anything else that made you more competitive: maybe a bit more research than typical, like 10 poster presentations

Main considerations in making this ROL: Need a large city by water, preferably not in the midwest, then social mission, then research opportunities, then large Spanish-speaking population

1) CA- LAC Harbor UCLA
I rotated here and absolutely loved the patients, faculty, and residents. Surprised by how much research they do. I don't like the fact that I need a car and the traffic, though south bay isn't as bad as downtown, and the proximity to the ocean and mountains, as well as the more badass trauma experience are what tipped me over to put this first.

2) NY- NYU School of Medicine
Also rotated here and loved it. Super cool people, fantastic mission, cool research. Plus, I absolutely love NYC. While the city is expensive, they offer subsidized housing to part of the class, so that would help a lot. (It's a lottery favoring people coming from further away, so coming from the midwest I'd have a pretty good shot at getting it.) Just didn't like the limited trauma experience (I know, I know, it doesn't mean anything, but whatever). Also a little harder to get to nature from NYC than from LA. Don't love the 12's, but that's only for the first two years.

3) IL- Cook County (Chicago)
One of my best interview experiences. I just connected super well with several interviewers, and the residents were super dope. Then the social mission, research, and trauma are fantastic. Even though Chicago is midwest, I still absolutely love the city. Plus Cook places grads everywhere, so I can always leave Chicago after residency.

4) MD- Johns Hopkins
I was very pleasantly surprised by my interview here. I got a little bit of a snooty vibe, but most people were super chill and seemed to honestly care about their patients. Solid social mission, cool research, and good teaching. Plus, I actually like Baltimore, so that helps. Hopkins only came ahead of GW for me because of the patient population.

5) DC- George Washington University
Basically copy-paste of my Hopkins thoughts. I like DC a bit more than Baltimore, but the social mission didn't feel quite as strong here.

6) CT- Yale New Haven
Also very similar in my head to Hopkins and GW but with a better trauma experience. I just didn't like New Haven a whole ton.

7) NY- Lincoln Medical & Mental Health Center Program (Bronx)
Fantastic patient population and in NYC with some research, but interview day was pretty rough, faculty interactions were average, and I'm not a fan of the 12's. Also, I didn't get the sense that teaching was super solid. Plus, a little to my shame, the fact that only one of three advisors I talked to knew much about it influenced me more negatively than I like. But still, it's in NYC, and that's a big plus.

8) MI- Detroit Medical Center/Wayne State University (Sinai Grace)
Badass program with trauma and everything else they see, super strong social mission, decent research opportunities, and the faculty and residents are dope. Also, they have the nicest resident I've ever met; she offered one interviewee to stay at her place because of a sketchy airbnb, and she gave another interviewee a ride to their hotel (all in a non-sketchy way). Grad network is pretty strong, so I could go anywhere afterward. And I actually like Detroit, but it takes a big hit for me for being in the midwest, just because it's too close to home.

9) TN- U of Tennessee Murfreesboro/Nashville
Solid program with surprisingly good trauma experience, good teaching, decent research, and cool faculty and residents. Also, it's legit cushy; pay is fantastic for the area, they doesn't overwork you, and you're out in three years. It's just too small of a city and too far from an ocean or great lake for my tastes.

10) WI- University of Wisconsin Hospitals and Clinics Program (Madison)
Also rotated here. I feel kinda ****ty for putting this program last because I absolutely loved my rotation and interview, and it's actually a super solid program. It's just too close to home for me. Otherwise, pretty interesting patients (and they're not all porcelain white), pretty good trauma experience (you get some weird farm accidents and gnarly car crashes), surprisingly good research opportunities, you get to fly in a helicopter if you want (not forced), and it's pretty cushy. Plus, the 3+1 setup is dope. Once again, if it weren't for location, this would be much higher on my list.

Anything else to add?
Waitlisted at Boston Medical Center, LA County- USC, and Henry Ford Detroit

Programs you applied to:
Alameda-Highland, Baylor, Boston University Medical Center, Case Western Reserve MetroHealth, Case Western Reserve University Hospital, Cook County, Detroit Receiving, Sinai Grace, George Washington, Henry Ford, Johns Hopkins, Lincoln (Bronx), Harbor-UCLA, Loyola, Maimonides, Brigham and Women's, Northwestern University, Georgetown, Jacobi/Montefiore, New York Medical College, New York Presbyterian, New York Presbyterian Brooklyn Methodist, New York Presbyterian Queens, New York University (NYU), Rush, Rutgers, Stanford, Stony Brook, SUNY Brooklyn Downstate, Temple, UCLA Olive View, UC-Irvine, UC San Diego, UCSF, University of Chicago, University of Illinois at Chicago, University of Chicago at Peoria, University of Maryland, University of Miami Jackson, University of Pennsylvania, LAC+USC, University of Tennessee at Murfreesboro/Nashville, University of Washington, University of Wisconsin, Yale

Case Western Reserve University Hospital (realized I really didn't want to live in Cleveland), New York Presbyterian Brooklyn Methodist (got the invite in January and couldn't make any of the dates)

University of Illinois at Chicago, University of Chicago, Northwestern University, University of Washington, UCSF, Highland, University of Maryland

Applicant Summary:
Board Scores: 625's/625's (COMLEX)
EM Rotations: High Pass/Honors/Honors/High Pass

Main considerations in making this ROL: Personal fit, gut feeling

1) PA- Conemaugh Memorial Medical Center Program
Faculty are very passionate and seem happy. HUGE catchment area. Good mix of community and academic feel. Unique pathology due to its location.

2) AL- University of Alabama
The people were awesome. Birmingham is cool. I like the idea of tracks in residency.

3) FL- HCA West Florida GME Consortium Brandon
PD was one of the coolest I met on the trail. We come from the same hometown.

4) CO- Denver Health
Surprised with the resident turnout at dinner. There is an uplifting energy from residents. The shadow shift was awesome. I just wish there was more wellness built into the program. Legendary program otherwise.

5) CA- USC LAC+USC (Los Angeles)
The ultimate in clinical training. Trial by fire speaks to me. Their mission and dedication to the underserved is inspiring. I feel like when you graduate you're able to handle anything that comes through the doors. 4 years of 12 hour shifts is too much. Cost of living and traffic are bad.

6) LA- Louisiana State University Baton Rouge
SEC west football. I-10. Close to boyfriend's family.

7) OH- University of Cincinnati Medical Center/College of Medicine Program
Would've been ranked higher but Cincinnati was depressing.

8) PA- Crozer-Chester Medical Center Program
Faculty are mostly new attendings and easy to relate to. Very happy residents. Cons are low ED volume and location.

9) WA- University of Washington Program (Seattle)
Very off-putting interview with the PD. Still a newer program without much of an alumni network.

10)CA- Stanford
Stanford name, network and resources. New hospital is beautiful. Great wilderness medicine and global health. High salary. Four years in a high cost of living area is absurd. A lot of driving through traffic in between sites.

11) FL- Orange Park
PD was hilarious on interview day and his PowerPoint with memes was on point. Acuity was concerning and location isn't ideal.

12) CA- Alameda Health- Highland Hospital
Another legendary County program in Oakland. Clinical training is outstanding but limited research opportunities. I drank the koolaid and it tasted amazing. Would love to train here but boyfriend is not keen on the location.

13) IL- Cook County (Chicago)
EM powerhouse, residents seemed happy. Chicago cost of living is high. Too many floor months. Fourth year is questionable.

I'm not sure this one is real, but I'd be flattered as hell if it was.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Idk honestly but it sort of feels real?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

IDK. That's a pretty wide geographic interview pattern. DO with a ton of interviews on the West Coast. And a lot of FL interviews. No other PA interviews other than the #1 and Crozer. Just seems off. Like to believe its real though, haha.

IDK. That's a pretty wide geographic interview pattern. DO with a ton of interviews on the West Coast. And a lot of FL interviews. No other PA interviews other than the #1 and Crozer. Just seems off. Like to believe its real though, haha.

We can vote it off the island, just lmk. I agree it’s a bit of a stretch but hey who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Yeah I hate you having to delete ones we think may be fake, because who really knows anyone's priorities. My rank list probably would've looked fake to many people. Haha. You just never know.

Last edited:
"1) AZ- Maricopa
Pros: Bad ass county program. Autonomy. Sick patients. Burn experience. Location. Looking for a completely new experience outside of the midwest and this would be it. Residents seemed very happy. PD big on wellness. One month of dedicated nights/year. Varied clinical experiences at different sites. Can moonlight- good pay. Good food stipend. Central doc box is cool."

I've said it and I'll say it again, Maricopa is an awesome program that I actually ranked quite highly some number of years ago, but I would urge anyone using a burn rotation as a pro to think twice. Remember that scene in SW Ep 3 where Anakin is being turned into darth vader? It's that, all day, every day for a month, with some dinosaur attending who hasn't picked up a critical care journal in 15 years telling you to do weird things.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
I've sort of accepted at this point most will post their ROL's after Match Day, which is fine I guess, it'll help next year's class, and anyway the ROL's from the last 2-3 cycles are the ones that really helped me through this process.

Also we shouldn't delete rank lists, how can we decide they're fake because somebody dared to rank a less well known program over carolinas/USC/Cinci/denver? I mean everybody has something negative to say about those programs so maybe they're just listening to us?

"Carolinas - seems great but it's 3 years? That's too few!"
"USC - amazing training but 12 hour shifts are too hard and 4 years are too many"
"Cinci - the helicopter is awesome, faculty great, but man the city is an inner city ghetto that's also in a crummy bland midwestern state"
"Denver - close to skiing and LeGeNdArY but the residents are too intense and they work too much to ski, even though every interview day has like 50 pictures of them all skiing together, I JUST WANT TIME TO SKI, so therefore will rank a chicago program #1"

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Folks - rank lists without explanations are of 0 utility to others.

Reactions: 9 users
Folks - rank lists without explanations are of 0 utility to others.
Watch out!! I said something about people submitting lists that weren't ranked, but alphabetized, and I said that THAT was useless, and bunches of anonymous, never to post again people got ALL over me.

Watch out!! I said something about people submitting lists that weren't ranked, but alphabetized, and I said that THAT was useless, and bunches of anonymous, never to post again people got ALL over me.

Lol. The days of caring what other people think of me are well behind me.

Lol. The days of caring what other people think of me are well behind me.
Well, me too. It was just the people that contribute, roundly, nothing, complaining. They don't realize that, if they just "take", there will be no one left to "give". "I lurk, but don't post much/ever/etc." Yeah, good one.

Correct. If every third year finds these rank lists valuable, but doesn’t want to post theirs when they become 4th years, it basically stops the cycle of paying it forward and eventually, it is one less resource for students trying to navigate this process.

Word.

Post explanations. Lists of random programs serve no one.

Reactions: 2 users
I come for the lists, I stay for the entertainment of 4th year medical students making major life decisions based on inconsequential things that they experienced at a 4 hour interview day.

'Love the city, love the program structure, love the research opportunities, BUT I didn't click immediately with the 4 residents I met that probably go to every interview lunch and must be completely representative of everybody there, DNR'

*interviews with 3 faculty members groomed by program leadership for their friendliness* 'The faculty is so open and welcoming and amazing, could definitely see myself there'

'what an incredible and well respected program with endless post residency opportunities, but I just don't see myself setting aside 3 years of my life to live in a city that's not on a coast or 90 minutes from world class skiing and climbing'

Reactions: 10 users
interviews with 3 faculty members groomed by program leadership for their friendliness

Agree with the entire post except this. I can't imagine programs only let the same faculty interview. I'd imagine everyone likes to interview candidates once in awhile. I doubt it is the same few people every week. All our faculty interview. We have 3 a week, the PD and me, then another faculty member that rotates in and out. One of our 2 chiefs usually sits in on the interviews as well. The faculty all take turns getting to interview.

But agree on your other points.

Agree with the entire post except this. I can't imagine programs only let the same faculty interview. I'd imagine everyone likes to interview candidates once in awhile. I doubt it is the same few people every week. All our faculty interview. We have 3 a week, the PD and me, then another faculty member that rotates in and out. One of our 2 chiefs usually sits in on the interviews as well. The faculty all take turns getting to interview.

But agree on your other points.

As a counter point - our program has 8 interviewers only. Random faculty can NOT just interview sometimes.

As a counter point - our program has 8 interviewers only. Random faculty can NOT just interview sometimes.

True but still different from having 3 hand selected faculty with the best personalities "groomed by leadership" being the only ones that interview.

True but still different from having 3 hand selected faculty with the best personalities "groomed by leadership" being the only ones that interview.
Yeah that’s hyperbolic and borderline conspiracy-theory-esque. But who knows there might be one small program out there who has the same few interviewers every single day.

He/she definitely went on these interviews I can personally confirm several of his comments about Orange Park and Brandon. Not sure if his order is true but why would someone lie about that.....

Applicant Summary:
Board Scores: 250's/250's (USMLE)
AOA: Yes
Med School Region: Left blank
Anything else that made you more competitive: extracurriculars, some research, strong clinical grades

Main considerations in making this ROL: service-oriented mission, quality of training, location close to SO / family

1) CA- USC LAC+USC (Los Angeles)
Pros: Amazing clinical training, strong social EM mission with great diverse patient population, location, engaged and enthusiastic residency leadership focusing on wellness. Senior residents who genuinely buy into the mission and exemplify the type of doctor that I want to be. Lots of history and emphasis on med ed (EMRAP, etc.). Ranked it first over the next few because it felt like the best fit for my career and personal goals.

Cons: 12-hour shifts, residents worked really hard. Pay and cost of living.

2) CA- LAC Harbor UCLA
Pros: Same as above - strong social EM mission with amazing clinical training and patient population. Good shift schedule, residents seemed close-knit. Location (I love the beach).

Cons: Pay and cost of living.

3) CA- UCLA David Geffen/Olive View
Pros: Great mix of academic-county sites. Friendly and dedicated residents with lots of diverse interests. Good shift schedule. Faculty doing lots of research including in social EM. Significantly better pay than other LA programs. Location.

Cons: Lots of driving.

4) CA- UC San Francisco
Pros: Strong academic-county sites. Social mission. Residents were engaged and taught a lot when I shadowed. Very friendly, diverse, and dedicated program leadership.

Cons: Cost of living in SF

5) MA- Boston University Medical Center
Pros: Amazing program. Wonderful residents and leadership. Big social EM mission with resources for patients. Elective time available during 3rd/4th year with international and leadership opportunities.

Cons: None outside of location -- I would love to be here except for that it's far from my family / SO.

6) IL- University of Chicago
Pros: Very friendly and knowledgable residents. Leadership very enthusiastic and engaged. Amazing new clinical site and trauma center. Flight opportunities.

Cons: Location far for me, unsure of 3 vs 4 for my career goals

7) IL- Cook County (Chicago)
Pros: Strong social mission, wonderful leadership and faculty who I loved talking to, knowledgable and enthusiastic residents.

Cons: Location far for me, some concerns about personal fit for me

8) CA- Alameda Health- Highland Hospital
Pros: Strong social EM mission, great clinical training, wonderful attendings who loved to teach

Cons: Didn't feel like the right personal fit

9) CA- UC San Diego
Pros: Great mix of clinical training, lots of faculty and fellows doing amazing clinical work, location

Cons: Didn't feel like the right personal fit (sorry for redundancy)

10) CA- UC Irvine
Pros: Strong clinical training, 3 year program, flagship site that serves as defacto county hospital (no true county in OC)

Cons: Didn't feel like the right fit, unsure of 3 vs 4 for my career goals

11) MA- Massachusetts General Hospital/Brigham & Women's Hospital/Harvard Medical School
Pros: Opportunity to rotate through amazing hospitals and learn from faculty who are renowned experts. Residents were nice and knowledgable.

Cons: Felt weird vibes here, not a good fit for me

Anything Else to Add?:
I feel thankful to be going into a specialty with so many amazing people who I met on this journey. A lot of the interview selection process for me came down to personal fit, finances, and geography. Also, agree with above poster about the need for more diversity in our field.

Maricopa, UTSW, Arrowhead, UC Davis, Temple, NYU, Mt. Sinai Icahn, SUNY Downstate, Fresno, Loma Linda, Brown

Programs whose interviews you attended:
UCSD, UCI, Cook County, University of Chicago, BMC, HAEMR, LAC+USC, LAC Harbor-UCLA, UCLA RR/OV, UCSF-SFGH, Highland

Programs from which you withdrew before hearing anything:
Jacobi, Advocate Christ, Mt. Sinai St. Luke's, Yale

N/A

Last edited:

Applicant Summary:
Board Scores: 240's/250's (USMLE)
EM Rotations: Honors/Honors/High Pass
Med School Region: East Coast
Anything else that made you more competitive: Good SLOEs (never saw but received kind comments during multiple interviews)

Main considerations in making this ROL: Fit, resources, location, mix of community + academics

1) MA- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center/Harvard Medical School
As someone who applied to both 3 and 4 year programs the 3+1 structure was a natural fit for me. Loved the residents I met during the interview dinner, and liked the interviewers I met with. Tons of resources institutionally. Loved the number of community sites (was a drawback for some other applicants but major strength for me). Boston is also a great city.

2) MD- Johns Hopkins
Very cool residents and faculty. No signs of pretentiousness. Again, massive amount of institutional resources. Best use of 4th year of any program I interviewed at. PD did a great job selling Baltimore, and tour of city during the interview was a nice touch. Academic but other community opportunities.

3) Temple
Temple - Huge amount of trauma and procedures. Love philly as a city. Residents are highly sought after. Really liked the PD/APD's/Chair. Good for SO's job.

4) NC- Duke University Hospital
Biggest surprise for me on the interview trail. Favorite PD I met on the trail (beloved by the residents as well). Tons of resources. Would be super happy to train here. Only negative - I'm unsure of how transitioning to life in Durham would go after living in/near major city for majority of life. Liked the model of "big duke" (academic) and "little duke" (community).

5) TN- Vanderbilt
Lived up to the hype. Residents loved the program/leadership team. Really enjoyed meeting everyone in the pre-interview dinner. Strong didactics. Loved nashville. Less community opportunities.

6) CT- Yale New Haven
Very strong didactics/regimented reading schedule (I like this model of learning). Very busy ED as well as community site (bridgeport). Resident were very down to earth and spoke highly of their experiences. Unsure of how I would like New Haven. Got along well with the PD and other interviewers.

7) ME- Maine Medical Center

Loved this program. 3rd year residents were super complimentary of program. graduating residents seemed to go into academics and jobs in rural areas. Unopposed by ophtho, ortho, ENT (= tons of procedures). Portland is an awesome city. Seemed extremely well run by PD/APD w/ very energetic, committed faculty. Sweetest coordinator on the trail.

8) NC- University of North Carolina
PD/APDs were young, energetic, and very passionate about UNC. Loved the mix of academics and community (WakeMed). Didactics seemed extremely well run. Again, unsure of how much I would like living in Chapel Hill/Raleigh.

9) UPenn
UPenn - Very down to earth residents. Tons of resources at Pen (possibly overshadowed by other departments). Great opportunities for off service rotations. Did not sell the fourth year as well as some other programs.

10) DC- MedStar Health/Georgetown
PD was one of the nicest people (not just PD) I have ever met. Would feel extremely comfortable working alongside the faculty/residents I met. Would be great if you had interest in politics/health policy (not my personal interest). Less community. MedStar as a corporation seemed to provide tons of resources for faculty/residents.

11) MD- University of Maryland
Very strong residents who work very hard. Shock trauma is a phenomenal opportunity. PD was honest in his expectations for residents to work hard and be the best they could be. Did a good job selling baltimore as a place to live. Residents I met had vary diverse interests and seemed well supported.

Anything else to add?
Went on 15 interviews total, but decided to stop at 11 (unsure how I will rank the final 4). Was a real honor to interview at all of these great programs. I was a very average undergrad and caught the EM bug working as a scribe. This process has been a dream come true for me. Its been a real privledge to meet residents/applicants from across the country. My advice to future applicants would be to keep your head down and really do well on Step, 3rd year rotations, and aways. Set your sights high and good luck.

Thanks to GamerEMdoc and other applicants over the years for your advice and contributions. I have no family or close friends (other than classmates) who have went through this process, and this forum/reddit were invaluable.

Programs you applied to:
35 Total

GW, PSU, Wake Forrest, Crozier, York Wellspan, Geisinger, Medical University of South Carolina

15 total

None

Carolinas, U Chicago, Emory (got that weird waitlist for the waitlist email)

Silent rejection from Mass Gen/Brigham, NYU, NY Presby, UVA, Brown, Dartmouth, Mayo

Since there's minimal benefit to future applicants, I will not be posting rank lists to this thread unless they include comments for the programs. The lists without comments will still be visible on the spreadsheet.

Reactions: 16 users
@gamerEMdoc When does your program finalize their list? Is beginning of February normal for many programs?

We usually do it a few days after our rank list meeting when the PD and I can get together and go back over it and reorder things based on what people said and how we want it. It’s usually submitted by the first week of February at the latest, because we are typically done interviewing in early January.

When do all programs submit theirs? I have no idea, there is no way of knowing that. But my suspician is, they dont wait until the last week of February to submit it. Once interviews are over (most are done in January Id imagine) there’s no point in waiting to finishing the list and submit it.

"1) AZ- Maricopa
Pros: Bad ass county program. Autonomy. Sick patients. Burn experience. Location. Looking for a completely new experience outside of the midwest and this would be it. Residents seemed very happy. PD big on wellness. One month of dedicated nights/year. Varied clinical experiences at different sites. Can moonlight- good pay. Good food stipend. Central doc box is cool."

I've said it and I'll say it again, Maricopa is an awesome program that I actually ranked quite highly some number of years ago, but I would urge anyone using a burn rotation as a pro to think twice. Remember that scene in SW Ep 3 where Anakin is being turned into darth vader? It's that, all day, every day for a month, with some dinosaur attending who hasn't picked up a critical care journal in 15 years telling you to do weird things.
I don't know. In speaking to the residents, they say that it is a really busy month but they get a ton of experience. The second year I talked to had been on the rotation for 3 weeks and had done 25 lines, 5 bronchs, and a number of intubations. Sounds like it's a good critical care experience, which I view as a positive. Watching what those burn patients go through though, not a positive for sure. I agree. Maybe they coerced him to say that though.

I don't know. In speaking to the residents, they say that it is a really busy month but they get a ton of experience. The second year I talked to had been on the rotation for 3 weeks and had done 25 lines, 5 bronchs, and a number of intubations. Sounds like it's a good critical care experience, which I view as a positive. Watching what those burn patients go through though, not a positive for sure. I agree. Maybe they coerced him to say that though.

Hey man, just my two cents. If you feel your training as an emergency physician would be best served by a burn ICU rotation, then by all means, do your thing. Personally I'd rather do those 25 lines, 5 bronchs and intubations on complex patients in the SICU or MICU, but hey, whatever you feel is right for you. I wouldn't worry about CVC reps either, eventually you'll do so many (at most decent programs) that as a senior you'll be frantically searching the department for another resident to give them away too.

Applicant Summary:
Board Scores: 240's/250's (USMLE) >700/650's (COMLEX)
EM Rotations: Unsure/Unsure/Unsure
Med School Region: Midwest
Anything Else That Made You More Competitive? Unique-ish hobbies, decent extracurriculars, honestly unsure lol

Main considerations in making this ROL: Location, fit with residents, future job opportunities, proximity to family

1) IL- Advocate Health Care (Oak Lawn, Chicago)
Pros: Rotated here for both EM and trauma, loved the residents, faculty, and basically everyone I encountered. Could envision myself here, felt like these were my people. 3 years, no IM floor months but plenty of solid off-service stuff, strong alumni network. Felt like the residents were badasses who also do get some time enjoy their lives after they work hard.

Cons: Would have to commute from South Loop or Pilsen or wherever if I want to stay in the city but don't mind. Maybe being at one place is a bad thing? But also 3 months of electives means I could rotate elsewhere, not a big deal for me.

2) IL- Cook County (Chicago)
Pros: really liked the residents at the dinner, like the patient population/mission/general vibe of this program, seems like residents like the graduated responsibility thing and produce badasses who can run a room. like time in burn ICU, plenty of crit care experience, in a city I love working with a great patient population.

Cons: 2 months of IM floors, 4th year seems kinda under-utilized? also lol why would these people ever rank me

3) MN- Hennepin
Pros: legendary program, badass PD and vibed with the residents at dinner. Really liked the STAB room and their Thursday conference, hyperbarics, amazing resources for a county program. Know I would come out the other side being a badass. Also dig the beer scene in Minneapolis, not terrrrribly far from home.

Cons: don't have a support system in MN, cold AF, 6 weeks of NSGY and not a ton of elective time

4) MI- Detroit Medical Center/Wayne State University (Detroit Receiving Hospital)
Pros: vibed with the residents as much as I did at my #1, liked the PD a lot, like the pod system in their ED, seems like you get good at running a room. Overall think I would get great training here. Also like the music scene in Detroit - Jazz Fest y'all!

Cons: don't have a support system in Detroit, previously tenuous relationship with Wayne State so idk about that? Might end up moving this up because I liked the residents and PD so much.

5) WI- Medical College of Wisconsin Affiliated Hospitals Program (Milwaukee)
Pros: beautiful ED, beautiful facilities, like the way they run traumas; really liked the PD and residents, could see myself here. Have some family in the area, would never run out of beer or cheese.

Cons: I dunno, I may end up moving this up before final cert/submit. Honestly would be happy to be here I just like the cities or little bitty things about the other programs more right now.

6) MI- Henry Ford Hospital/Wayne State University (Detroit)
Residents see wild pathology but seem a smidge overworked? Just didn't vibe with them as much as other places.

7) IL- Rush University (Chicago)
Really liked the people, there is good and bad with it being a new program, just didn't have as strong of a connection as other places but would be happy to train here.

8) IL- University of Illinois College of Medicine at Chicago
Awesome residents, just do not love the idea of commuting to 4 separate EDs all the time.

9) PA- Lehigh Valley Health Network/University of South Florida College of Medicine Program
Rotated here and loved it, this really just comes down to location for me. Would strongly recommend this program to people in the area. And if I fall to here on my ROL... would be fine with it. Way more outdoorsy stuff nearby!

10) MD- University of Maryland
residents seemed overworked and met barely any of them on interview day or dinner... academically very strong program but just didn't feel the vibe.

11) MI- Lakeland Health (Saint Joseph)
12) MI- Spectrum Health/MSU (Grand Rapids)
13) OH- Case Western Reserve University (MetroHealth) Program

Anything else to add?
DO student so was concerned going into the season. I think applying to a spread of programs consistent with where I rotated and strong SLOEs helped me garner a good amount of interviews.

Programs you applied to:
Advocate Christ Medical Center, Albert Einstein, Allegheny Health Network, Ascension St John, Brown, Case Western Metrohealth, Case Western University Hospitals, Cook County, Detroit Medical Center (Detroit Receiving), Detroit Medical Center (Sinai Grace), Emory, Genesys, George Washington, Hennepin, Henry Ford/Wayne State, Johns Hopkins, Lakeland, Lehigh valley, Loyola, Maimonides, Medical College of Georgia, Medical College of Wisconsin, MedStar/Georgetown, Mercy St. Vincent, Ohio State, Doctors Hospital, Penn State Hershey, Presence Resurrection, Rowan SOM, Rush, Rutgers, NJ medical school, Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson, Thomas Jefferson, Spectrum/MSU, Swedish Covenant, Temple, Reading Hospital, Cincinnati, University of Connecticut, University of Illinois Chicago, University of Illinois Peoria, University of Maryland, University of Michigan, University of Pennsylvania, University of Toledo, University of Wisconsin, UPMC Pittsburg, Vanderbilt, York Hospital

Ascension St John, Detroit Medical Center (Sinai Grace), Genesys, Loyola, Mercy St. Vincent, Penn State Hershey, University of Connecticut, University of Toledo, Doctors Hospital, Rowan SOM

Advocate Christ, Cook County, Hennepin, Detroit Receiving, MCW, Henry Ford Detroit, Rush, UIC, York Hospital, U Maryland, Lakeland, Spectrum Grand Rapids, Reading, LeHigh, Swedish Covenant, Case Western Metrohealth

can't remember

Brown, Vanderbilt, University of Wisconsin, UPMC, University of Pennsylvania, Resurrection, Rutgers x2, Temple, Emory, George Washington, several others but I'm too lazy to list right now

Applicant Summary:
Board Scores: 220's/250's (USMLE) 625's/650's (COMLEX)
EM Rotations: Honors/High Pass/Honors
Med School Region: East Coast
Anything Else That Made You More Competitive? Left blank

Main considerations in making this ROL: Fit with residents and faculty. Location. Trauma

1) MD- University of Maryland
Residents seemed super close, good turnout at dinner, and were super intelligent. Felt like I fit in with the residents and liked their work ethic. They work a lot, but have shorter shifts. Trauma at shock trauma would be amazing.

2) VA- Carilion Clinic-Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine Program
Loved the message of the program. The desire to be more than just a "clock-in clock-out" doctor. PD reminded me a little bit of Gilderoy Lockhart....but he was genuine and obviously cared deeply about his program and residents. Residents all seemed super chill. Outdoor activities.

3) SC- Prisma Health-Midlands/University of South Carolina School of Medicine-Columbia Program
Loved the PD and the residents. Hours bank that allows for more flexible scheduling. Longitudinal peds and trauma. Patient pop was super sick. Residents really knew their stuff.

4) PA- Reading Hospital Program
Newer program, but great patient base and pathology. Probably my favorite interview (I didn't have the group one everyone else seemed to have here).I got along really well with the faculty. Would be happy to match here.

5) NY- University at Buffalo
PD was great, faculty were wonderful. Loved joking around and having fun. Got along with the residents. A little cold for me, but a wonderful summer for outdoor activities.

6) FL- Florida Atlantic University Charles E. Schmidt
New program. Kinda spread out over the area for rotations, but I'm sure the educational opportunities are strong. Little far from home.

7) WV- Charleston Area Medical Center Program
Unopposed, lots of procedural experience for residents. Not a huge fan of the area, residents were a lot nonchalant about everything. Educationally strong. Was pleasantly surprised by them.

8) UPMC Harrisburg
New program, didn't quite vibe with them.

9) FL- Aventura Hospital
Newish program. Expensive COL. Didn't quite fit in, thought the residents were knowledgeable.

10) NC- Vidant Health/East Carolina University Program
Just did not fit in here. Most awkward interviews of my life.

11) FL- HCA West Florida GME Consortium Oak Hill (Brooksville)
New program. Far away. Residents were nice but always talked about getting out of work. Felt like they were just wanting get in and out of residency as fast as possible.

Vineland, Rowan, Morristown

Christiana, Hopkins, Orlando

watching a ufo show and my #2 city is on it

Ima take it as a sign and move them up to number 1

Letters of intent be damned!

Sending you this in case you need it if the first program asks what happened if you dont match there.

1581314694720.jpeg

• Haha
Any thoughts on Prisma Health Midlands (USC) vs. Wake Forest from anybody? Both will be toward the very top of my list. Geographic proximity close to family roughly equal. Both are obviously well established and well known in the SE.

Any thoughts on Prisma Health Midlands (USC) vs. Wake Forest from anybody? Both will be toward the very top of my list. Geographic proximity close to family roughly equal. Both are obviously well established and well known in the SE.

Both great, I feel very different in approach (but happy residents at either). Midlands is more county, super busy / high acuity, thrown in, resident-run. Wake Forest I felt more a sense of graduated responsibility, bedside teaching, very strong academics, research opportunities. Columbia actually a great place to live, medium-size city, Winston-Salem a small college town, but upcoming and very low COL and easy living. Can't go wrong with either!

Don't know much about Midlands, but Wake Forest seemed strong a few years ago when I was interviewing in the area. Old, established program, academic faculty, has a large catchment area for trauma regionally, and had super happy residents. I was plus or minus on the city personally, near nice outdoors things to do, but not the most exhilarating place in the world to live.

I think Wake is more established, and seems to have a very academic bent. I felt the residents there were very happy, tame schedule, and the faculty seemed very relaxed and supportive. They have an absurd number of fellowships (9). The Wake brand is a bit more well known among the lay-public.

I didn’t interview at midlands, but my understanding is it’s sort of a “TriBred” system with aspects of county, academic, and community all fused.

Status
Not open for further replies.