[2019-2020] Emergency Medicine Rank Order List Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Posted anonymously via Google Form.

Applicant Summary:
Board Scores: 210's/230's (USMLE) 600's/650's (COMLEX)
EM Rotations: Pass/HP/Honors
AOA: No
Med School Region: Southeast
Anything else that made you more competitive: Literally nothing

Main considerations in making this ROL: Mainly fit and feel, rapport between residents and nursing, admin, consults.

1) PA- Reading Hospital Program
Pros: Large, busy ED with no expense spared. Everyone went out there way to befriend you and introduce themselves (rotated here). Attendings of various backgrounds, all enjoy teaching. Decent trauma. Strong EMS presence, family environment, good mix of residents; MD/DOs.

Cons: Newer program, 2yrs old. PD suddenly stepped down with no notice, which was a little sketchy. However, new PD who was already faculty there is awesome. Not really a good mix of pathology...lot of old white people.

2) PA- Conemaugh Memorial Medical Center Program
Pros: Huge catchment area, good mix of pathology. Definitely see everything here. Lots of trauma. Residents and attendings seem like a really cohesive group, lots of married resident couples which is kinda weird but whatever. Super good focus on SIM and oral board review here. Really produce great residents.

Cons: location, location, location.....definitely not ideal. Only ranked #2 because of an argumentative resident from my rotation.

3) MA- UMMS Baystate
Pros: Good pathology, trauma, and acuity. Supposedly number 1 ED for acuity in US. PD is the nicest person I’ve ever met, really dedicated to resident wellness and does everything he can to support his peeps. Residents seem like a good mix and for the most part seem to get along well. They are definitely well trained. Highest pay of anywhere I interviewed.

Cons: Springfield is a dump, used to live not far from there so I can say that lol. Nice areas not too far of a drive though. Did not really vibe with the residents during my rotation here, always felt like I didn't belong. Clerkship director is also kinda odd.

4) OH- Akron General Medical Center/NEOMED Program
This is actually for Summa Health but it wasn’t a choice in the drop down.

Program actually seems like it will be good, they put a lot of work into finding faculty to build the residency into what it should be. Was told by the coordinator that there are contracts and stops put in place to prevent issues they had previous when accreditation was lost. Definitely taking a chance here but did get a good overall vibe.

Cons: Obviously Summa’s past is a lingering black cloud.

5) NY- Arnot Ogden Medical Center (Elmira)
Pros: Residents/attendings were nice. Seem like they really want more for their program but it just hasn’t happened yet or may never happen idk.

Cons: outdated ED, EMR. No trauma, several off campus rotations, awful cafeteria. Nurse loudly arguing with a resident in front of everyone so not sure about the culture here.

Anything Else To Add?
#6 Riverside - Newport News, VA
New program...not much to say about it.
#7 Nazareth Hospital - Philly
Awful, PD has no idea what they’re doing.
#8 Nassau University Medical Center - NY
Worst interview ever. Ripped to shreds over board scores.

Programs You Applied To:
Too many

Programs Whose Interviews You Declined:
None

Programs Whose Interviews You Attended:
Any that I got

Programs You Withdrew From Before Hearing Anything:

Note from @Stephanopolous : To anyone who would like to contribute or change anything, you can also PM me your ROL or any other information that was left off your submission on the spreadsheet. Your anonymity will be maintained.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user

Applicant Summary:
Board Scores: 250's/260's (USMLE)
EM Rotations: Unsure/Honors/Honors
Med School Region: California
Anything else that made you more competitive: Left blank

Main considerations in making this ROL: location, county/academic >>> community, CCM fellowships, major airport near by, med ed opportunities

1) CA- UC Davis (Sacramento)
Pros - close to home, academic program serves as county hospital for Sacramento, 3 years, plenty of fellowship opportunities

Cons - nothing big, parking

2) CA- UC San Diego
Pros - academic program with a variety of sites, location, everyone during interview day was nice, fellowship opportunities including CC

Cons - 4 years, trauma maybe?, driving to multiple sites

3) CA- Loma Linda
Pros - really like this program had a tough time not ranking higher, academic/ county mix, 3 years, fellowship opportunities, great peds experience, residents and faculty all were great

Cons - older ED but new hospital opening soon

4) TX- University of Texas Southwestern Medical School Program
Pros - county program, 3 year, big high volume center, parkland is a beautiful hospital, fun group of residents, Dallas seems like a cool city to live in, fellowship opportunities, good peds experience

Cons - can be consult heavy but plenty of other sites that allow variety of practice environments

5) IL- Cook County (Chicago)
Pros - love the social mission, county program, wanted to rank this program higher however moved it down to be closer to family. past residents have landed jobs/ fellowships pretty much all over the country, liked the residents I met during interview day/dinner.

Cons - 4 years, Chicago is cold, 2 floor months

6) CA- Riverside
Pros - PD focused and experienced on burnout and wellness, high volume ED, County-ish, possibly some med ed opportunities with association with UCR, 3 years, close to lots of So Cal stuff

Cons - HCA, new program (first graduating class this year), one site so no variability

7) TN- Vanderbilt
Pros - loved all the fellowships this program had to offer, residents all seemed nice, 3 year academic program, well known name

Cons - would have ranked this higher but was not sold on living in Nashville

8) TX- University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston Program
Pros - this program is def underrated in the online world, big health center with a variety of sites, new peds ED, one of the nicest PDs I have met, big class of residents so plenty of people to hang out with off shift, Houston seems like a cool place to live, 3 years, new critters care fellowship

Cons - Houston weather, humidity

9) DC- George Washington University
Pros - would love to live in the DC area, academic program, residents and faculty all seemed great

Cons - 4 years

10) CA- Desert Regional
Pros - awesome group of residents, PD and faculty all seemed great, feel like I would get great training if I end up here, closish to LA, 3 years

Cons - realized after interview season I am looking for a more academic/county program vs community, level III trauma if that matters?, living in the dessert, not new new but newish program

11) CA- Kaweah Delta (KDHCD)
Pros - location, in California, 3 years, cheap COL some of the residents bought homes, no traffic

Cons - same as dessert regional, looking for a more academic/county mix pretty much applies for cons for the rest of my list, anesthesia split airway in ED? Residents said didn't seem to be an issue, newer program, small town

12) CA- St. Joseph's
Pros - location is close to home, Stockton has a pretty sick pt population, with time I feel like this program will be pretty good, 3 year

Cons - too new, trauma is all at SJ, wish there were ED shifts at SJ county hospital as well

13) CA- Kern
Pros - great pathology, this place gets some of the craziest trauma and the residents here pretty much do everything, residents and faculty all seemed great, county program

Cons - 4 years is this was a 3 year it would ranked a lot higher , Bakersfield, residents were staying long after shift was over

14) NY- New York- Presbyterian Brooklyn Methodist Hospital
Pros - great ultrasound opportunities, in the nicest part of Brooklyn, residents and faculty all seemed great, seemed like this place avoids the typical NY ED issues, 3 years

Cons - a little more on the community side, 12s, had this higher but ultimately decided id prefer not to move to NY

15) NV- Sunrise Health
Pros - Vegas would be a great place to live other than really hot summers, 3 year program, interview was a little strange with the scripted questions but everyone seemed nice Cons - HCA, newish program, community, didn't fit in with the residents

16) CA- Eisenhower
Pros - awesome benefits, 3 years

Cons - new, small class, idk how EM training will be here, has to do trauma at dessert regional

17) TX- John Peter Smith Hospital (Tarrant County Hospital District) Program
Pros - this program get a lot of hate and I don't really understand it, everyone seems really nice, paid for hotel and offered rides to and from dinner which was very nice, county program, 3 year

Cons - would prefer a county/academic mix, idk if I fit in with the residents here

18) CA- Arrowhead Regional
Pros - this program has everything to make a strong EM program; sick pt population, location, county, new association with med school however some of the faculty seemed malignant. PD seemed nice. Was close to DNR but would rather match than go unmatched

Cons - a lot has been said about arrowhead online and a lot of it showed just on interview day, 4 years, talked down nearby programs which seemed odd

Programs whose interviews you declined:
Memphis, Jackson memorial, Brooklyn hospital, advocate christ, UIC- Chicago, valley health Las Vegas

Programs whose interviews you attended:
ranked all

Programs that rejected you:
UCLA OV, UCLA harbor, LAC USC, UCSF, Kaiser SD, Hennepin, Highland, UT Austin, Orland, northwestern, Oregon health, Denver, U of Washington, Utah

Note from @Stephanopolous : To anyone who would like to contribute or change anything, you can also PM me your ROL or any other information that was left off your submission on the spreadsheet. Your anonymity will be maintained.

Members don't see this ad :)
Emory must have got a new PR person this year.

Reactions: 2 users

Applicant Summary:
Board Scores: 250's/260's (USMLE)
EM Rotations: HP/HP/HP
AOA: Yes
Med School Region: Midwest
Anything else that made you more competitive: Presented at 2 national EM conferences, Honored most clerkships

Main considerations in making this ROL: Couples matching, people, general vibe, volume, diverse pathology, job prospects afterwards, cultivating a marketable skill set, curriculum with less off-service months

1) PA- UPMC (Pittsburgh)
Vibed really well with the people. Multiple training sites seems like it will prepare you for anything. Excellent EMS experience. 18+2 shift structure gives you the opportunity to explore interests. Good peds exposure. Huge alumni network with great job prospects. Pittsburgh seems like a cool city, without having a huge COL or horrible commutes.
Cons: Seems like a decent amount of scutwork during off-service intern year. rumors that they work too much and are burned out (I did not personally get this impression)

2) IN- Indiana University School of Medicine
This would've been my top choice if not couples matching. Favorite residents on the trail. Great volume and pathology. Hospital system very nice. good mix of county and academics. Good peds exposure. Big class size so always have someone to hang out with and large support network. large alumni network. Indianapolis seems like a very liveable city. I left this interview with the warm fuzzy feeling that no other program gave me as much
Cons: The program impressed me so much i felt like I did not deserve to go there (imposter syndrome)

3) OH- Case Western Reserve University/University Hospitals Cleveland Medical Center Program
I felt like all the faculty were just so passionate about being there. The intern report didactic seemed like it would fit my learning style. Residents seemed very happy. 12 hour shifts on weekend, so you get more weekends off. Good work/life balance. Good peds exposure.
Cons: not as big of a name in the EM world. Just came off academic warning. EMR is allscripts, Graduated responsibility. Job prospects may not be as good as some of the other programs on my list, but I feel like my QOL here counteracts that.

4) MN- Hennepin
Residents seemed extremely competent. They are on the cutting edge of resuscitation in the ED and ultrasound. Good diversity of patient populations. Get experience as pit-boss 3rd year. Great moonlighting opportunities. EM controls all trauma's and basically seems to run the hospital. Minneapolis was actually an awesome place to visit even though it was -10 degrees.
Cons: Burnout may be a factor here. It seems like at least 15% of patients require translation services which may be exhausting. Lots of call, especially on neurosurgery/neuro ICU. Won't get to see sick patients intern year due to graduated responsibility. Minnesota is very cold. Worried they don't see enough sick kids

5) MN- Health Partners Institute/Regions Hospital (St. Paul)
My favorite program on the interview trail based on vibes and people. Seems like excellent training. They are very transparent about the program. Great feedback system for residents to ensure they are meeting all milestones. Favorite PD on the trail. Split off service rotations up, so you get experience with them at different times of the year. Wellness seems to be very important.
Cons: Interns appear to work exclusively evening and night shifts on ED months which is not great for lifestyle. More off-service than I would like. Moonlighting in frowned upon. Just like Hennepin, the patient population requires excessive use of translation services.

6) OH- Case Western Reserve University (MetroHealth) Program
Program seemed like it would provide excellent training. Good mix of academics at cleveland clinic and county at metro. Curriculum doesn't have a lot of fat. Residents were people that I would enjoy working with. Good alumni network and job prospects
Cons: Seemed very burned out. Worried there is not enough peds exposure. They are weird about using dictation. Did not get good vibes from PD. Interview day was kind of a disaster

7) NC- Duke University Hospital
Good pathology. Good work life balance. Only place I saw that gave 15 minute breaks on shift. PD seems receptive to resident needs. Lots of resources. Ultrasound is a major strength and they are doing cutting edge work on 3D ultrasound. Durham seems like a nice place to live with good weather and lots of outdoors activities to do.
Cons: One of the interviewers straight up said if you are not going to use Duke for its engineering and research resources then don't match here, which rubbed me the wrong way. Too academic for me. Duke has reputation of having lots of malignant programs which would make off-service less valuable and consults a nightmare. too many off-service rotations.

8) MN- Mayo Clinic (Rochester)
Residents seemed competent enough. Mayo has huge amount of resources. off-service would be with industry leaders. Moonlighting is very lucrative. Starting to work in more community medicine
Cons: Too academic for me and did not vibe well with the residents. I feel like they don't have a ton of autonomy. Rochester is a very small city without much to do. I feel like coming from here you would be adequately trained, but you could be better

9) OH- Ohio State University Hospital Program
Good volume and pathology. PD and Faculty seemed cool. Didactics were very engaging. top-notch ultrasound curriculum. Columbus is a nice place to live with good COL. month long rotation in Hawaii. ED was very nice and big
Cons: Too academic. Residents echoed that they did not get enough really sick kids. Have reputation of being kind of arrogant. Too consult heavy

10) NY- University of Rochester
For such a small city it actually has great volume, pathology, and diversity of patient populations. Residents seemed to have a lot of pride in their program. Good peds exposure. Have shifts where you purely cover the trauma bay
Cons: Not much to do in the city. No dictation for first 6 months of intern year. lots of snow

11) WI- University of Wisconsin Hospitals and Clinics Program (Madison)
12) OH- University of Toledo Program
13) OH- Mercy St Vincent Medical Center/Mercy Health Partners Program
14) NC- Wake Forest University School of Medicine Program

This program would have been in my top 5, but my partner did not have a good experience here.

15) KY- University of Kentucky
16) PA- Allegheny Health Network Medical Education Consortium (AGH) Program (Pittsburgh)
17) MA- University of Massachusetts (Worcester)

Seemed like great training, but I did not vibe with the residents and I got negative vibes with all the faculty other than the PD

18) TN- University of Tennessee Murfreesboro
This program would have been much higher on my list, but my partner did not get any interviews in the area. This program is a hidden gem

19) NC- Vidant Health/East Carolina University Program

Anything Else To Add?

I ran out of steam after writing explanations for my top 10

Programs You Applied To:
40 Total

SUNY Upstate, Crozer Chester, University of Louisville, Eastern virginia, Albany, Buffalo, Thomas Jefferson

all listed

Vanderbilt, Beth Israel, Carolinas, Cooper, Dartmouth, medical college of wisconsin, St. louis, Temple, Baystate, Uconn, UNC, University of Tennessee Memphis, University of Virginia, Virginia commonwealth

I had a dream last night that I matched at my # 7 spot . Was in total panic mode.

• Haha
I had a dream last night that I matched at my # 7 spot . Was in total panic mode.

Idk man (or woman) personally I’d be happy at my #7. In fact it’s not really until #13 we’re id really be in panic mode.

EM is a great field and the vast majority of programs seem solid and try their best to do right by their residents.

I ranked ~10 programs, so 7 is towards the bottom. Either way, I will be blessed to just match anywhere on my list.

Idk man (or woman) personally I’d be happy at my #7. In fact it’s not really until #13 we’re id really be in panic mode.

EM is a great field and the vast majority of programs seem solid and try their best to do right by their residents.

Applicant Summary:
Board Scores: 230's/240's (USMLE)
EM Rotations: Unsure/Unsure/Unsure/Unsure
Med School Region: Northeast
Anything else that made you more competitive: GMO in the military (independent practice for 4 years and service), tons of leadership experience (see military), hospital committees, volunteer work

Main considerations in making this ROL: Ability for SO to come with was primary reason, along with reputation, perceived overall gut feeling after interview day

1) MD- University of Maryland
Residents: Got along with everyone that I met, everyone was very amicable, Involved, not overworked. They get 8, 10, 12 hour shiftsFelt the most at home here.
Faculty: World-reknown, Mattu, Winters, these are THE people you listen to on podcasts. Dr. Hu was super chill/young, Winters was the old PD and he’s still there. Bond was hilarious. Bond was a GMO in his past life, did the same thing I did. He’s probably doing the thing with his life that I’d want to do. Great interactions with the faculty.
Leadership: Tons of leadership expectation, leadership experience, leading teams as a PGY2 and onward. Oozing with leadership opportunities. They mentioned residents in EMRA.
Education: I don’t even have enough bandwidth to describe everything that is right about this. Academic program development, they make their own curriculum to keep it up to date, Shock Trauma, trauma anesthesia, professors with teaching awards. Hugely diverse population, all of the critical care experience, most of the sites are in the same area as the hospital. They have tons of people w/advanced training in academics. Cadaver labs quarterly. Exposure to EM in rural areas. They have higher expectations for you in terms of research and presentations. Routine sim. Huge EMS experience.
Perks: Affordable, see above. Get hat 1600 course for free w/Butler. *They go to Hopkins instead of DC for Peds trauma. Tons of ultrasounds. Split interns/residents into houses, like harry potter. Moonlighting in EM/IM. Dogtors. For PGH they put you in a hotel! Has all the seasons. Moonlight in EM and IM.
Cons: weak clinic but who gaf. Continuity clinic kind of blows. I have no idea what would be a con about this place. Either 3 years as an EM at a bomb ass place or 5 years as EM/IM at a bomb ass place.

2) MD- University of Maryland
EM, #1 was IM/EM

3) CT- Yale New Haven
Residents: very personable group, diverse, easy to speak with, all relatively happy
Faculty: Multiple military, PD prior Army Col, Bridgeport Director 10 years in Army. Have high expectations for the residents, looking to see how to stimulate/motivate higher and mid-tier performers- first on the interview trail this was discussed.
Leadership- tons, expected research, expected to help, AoC’s, involved at multiple levels throughout the hospital, it sounds like EM will be in charge of
Education: Their primary concern is making you into a superior clinician to be able to use that as a stepping stone into academics- lead from the front mentality. 4 year program makes sense in terms of learning how to research- 40% on a FLP/learning plan, but b/c they fell below the PD’s expectations (required 75-80-85% in service exam score, not percentile)
Perks: Yale name. Awesome sim center, Yale money, GH program that could take you really anywhere, perceived deficiencies in training can be addressed by elective time. Looks like Hogwarts. 2nd highest paid residents, free healthcare. They have the guy who writes books about U/S here. 8 hour shifts. Free gym across street from hospital, COL, >100k, if I decide to stay in reserves, would be able to here.

4) NY- SUNY Health Science Center at Brooklyn
Residents- the residents were all very cool, reported they had a good amount of time off/available for themselves on EM (even w/12’s)
Faculty- all very passionate, very accomplished, many have stuck around after having trained there, peppered all over leadership in EM, really would be standing of shoulders of giants
Leadership opportunities- EM runs the show at SUNY, residents are on a lot of the hospital committees, are on a lot of the EMRA committees, mini-fellowships available for more focused learning
Education- they have a med ed fellow (big), are huge into adult learning theory, have a brand new sim center, it doesn’t sound like there are any paucity of procedures, really learning by doing at this place
Perks: Incredibly underserved population, great alumni network (have ~100 residents in the program), Brookyln, EPIC, sounds like inbound staff b/c of EPIC, poor hospital w/o enough funds, so you’d be making a huge difference, reminds me of the workplace I’m in now (re: yeah, we don’t have any nurses, so we can complain about it, or we can help our patients and then complain about it later), able to live w/in walking distance of the hospital
Cons: The whole pay system sounds screwed up (some get paid by SUNY, others KC). Recently changed to EPIC so it sounds like there are growing pains. New sim center so may not be fully integrated yet, sparse use of cadaver lab

5) CA- UCLA David Geffen/Olive View
Residents- happy, definitely felt like I fit in with them, all happy. Kind of weird interaction with outgoing Chief that was talking up GW (his next job), but also said that his least favorite part about the program was how much he loved it, and the fact that he had to leave. Would be #2/3 if weren't for SO.
Faculty- all female leadership, PD went to school at UIC, husband lived in place I grew up, sounds like they all have work-life balance, everyone was in shape, seemed compassionate about care, TONS of leadership involvement all over the EM world, no military peeps
Leadership- Residents involved all over the hospital, all over EMRA, etc. No paucity of opportunities, no paucity of mentors
Education- frequently evolving, multiple sites to get feels for different environments, (academic, county, community), with increasing frequency of the Antelope Valley site due to resident demand. MedEd princples applied, didactics evolving, use Foundations curriculum, they came up with the NEXUS criteria, so pretty impressive stuff
Perks: UCLA money, tons of fellowship opportunities, 12k in housing, 3k in food, free healthcare, mix of shift hours, which would mean time to go to the gym (huge concern for me), it never gets cold, they’ll support whatever it is you want to do, no paucity of mentorship, residents go wherever, they have a NASA elective which feeds my dream of becoming a doctronaut.
Cons- traffic, but you can plan for it, higher COL but whatever I get the GI bill and they give you 12k/year.

6) DC- George Washington University
Residents: awesome group, hang out regularly, would provide good mentorship, super interesting backgrounds, could definitely see myself fitting in with them,
Faculty: also huge perk, things were mentioned about some having a shorter leash for residents, Faculty interview: “Each residency makes a cookie cutter resident, our product is an academic physician that will work somewhere with consultants”- seemed surprised that so many of the GW grads went to community jobs.
Leadership opportunities- tons, they let you help with research, they fund it, there’s the residents as teachers opportunities, PGY2 start teaching, 3 and 4 you are in charge of mentoring, education, and you are expected to teach MS’s throughout your time here.
Education: Have unique healthcare policy experience, tons of different research and academic pursuits w/9 fellowships, MedEd is present so you know they are up to date on learning theory, feedback after shifts, getting new site in community w/less learners
Perks: Best friend lives here, Christmas room, dogs, Starbucks in hospital
EMR: Cerner + Epic + Dragon
Cons: Maybe being worried that I wouldn’t be a strong clinician coming from the program, kind of a weirdish interaction with the APD “please email me if you would 100% want to go here." Faculty comment from above.

7) NY- Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai/St. Luke's Roosevelt
Residents: very friendly, community reinforced by living together w/subsidized housing, focus on resident’s well-being, resident casual use of profanity, residents were in shape
Faculty: awesome interview w/faculty “I hope to work with you next year,” APD and assistant PD engaged in FOAM (FeminEM, EMC, EMRAP, REBELEM), faculty have teaching awards, residents said that Dr. He will go to bat for them, helped them go through their contracts
Leadership opp: resident director position allows for early leadership, huge focus on making leaders in EM; promise the program can deliver on, PGY3 supervises intern on red teams, would definitely leave a strong doctor and would likely be well established or at least on the right track into a leadership role
Education: education is in the 21st century and engaged sim, PODCAST, textbooks, modern lecture/didactic, 1:1 attending ratio, minimal superfluous rotations, Admission Consult team as PGY3, graduated responsibility, Global Health track available if interested, a lot of resources through Sinai,
Perks:hungover:iversity of sites (with shuttle between them), option for more trauma, EMS exposure and leadership w/disaster medicine mentors, full EM ICU teams, acknowledge social mission/social EM, moonlighting in 2nd year, subsidized housing offsets cost of living in Manhattan, near Columbia, good LGBTQ exposure from Hell’s Kitchen, have sim centers at both sites
Con:low trauma exposure, NYC COL, graduated responsibility (I don’t know if I’d like to go all in as an intern, but it makes sense considering pre-established roles of a trauma team

8) NY- SUNY Health Science Center at Brooklyn
EM, above mentioned was IM/EM

9) IL- University of Illinois College of Medicine at Chicago
Residents: good fit feeling, residents very happy, residents were in shape, PGY2s were cool, residents casual use of profanity
Faculty: Dr. Ross was awesome/can tell she cares and she made me excited about EM, very enthusiastic, established PD, Eigbert was hilarious., Dr. Neisely was hilarious,
Leadership opportunities: emphasis on wanting to create leaders in EM expressed by APD, EM/IM PD will be sticking around after moving to APD role, she started observation unit at the hospital, would definitely cultivate leadership if you looked for it,
Education: Huge amount of resources in UIC, would be able to choose my own adventure here in terms of finding my niche, residents happy with amount of trauma they see, happy with amount of diversity, even w/multiple sites LGH would be by my parents' house, good at treating sickle patients, unique LGBTQ patients from Masonic, ; no graduated responsibility
Perks: brand new sim center that’s also a building in itself (top line w/standardized patients), strong social EM focus with very enthusiastic faculty (Suki), would be close to home, diversity of sites, would definitely leave a strong doctor, moonlighting during 3d year, could probably find LA fitness around each of the sites, 10 hour shifts,
Con: New sim center-hasn’t been around long enough (3-4 mo) for it to be fully integrated to its full potential, Had negative-ish interaction w/LGH attending that asked where I applied geographically, the other attending from LGH seemed surprised I was in the military and only picked up on it from my photo despite it being all over my application, recent grad said PD is checked out, not as involved it seems w/EMRA/ACEP, had odd interaction w/Bunney at ACEP, 4 sites that are very spread out, EM/IM mostly went into CC (one going into GI)
-would have been MUCH higher if weren't for SO opportunities

10) IL- Advocate Health Care (Oak Lawn, Chicago)
Residents: tight knit group that I could see myself wanting to hang out with; the best social by far on the interview trail w/karaoke. Had warm/fuzzies, great fit sensation, looked like the program was giving them support i.e. resident engaged w/social EM, sounds like they are strongly supported. Chief resident was relatable, strong presence, had great things to say about the program, had a tox escape room
Faculty: personable, 1:1 ratio, PD featured in FeminEM, as an intern provided w/faculty mentorship that aligns you early w/career goals, provided faculty member for residency directorship. Engaged in community outreach (seems less developed v UIC)
Leadership: resident director- chance to make your niche in EM for fellowship, have tones of leadership experience (some in EMRA/ACEP/AAEM), 2 residents just received research grant, evidence that PD will back endeavors. Will be able to build off other’s successes vice starting brand new
Education: No graduated responsibility, moved away from 1 hour lecture, sim rotates every 6 weeks, tox escape room, bit of a “choose your own adventure feel, separate intern curriculum, board prep qother week, teach EMS, trauma procedure lab w/shared responsibility rotating roles. Have EM/CC in the ICU, get EM teaching in ICU setting. Social EM incorporated into weekly didactics
Perks: self-reported strong leadership w/other services, huge focus on well-being
Cons: not a strong Social EM presence, might not matter at the end of the day, no official meded track.
-would have been higher if weren't for SO low opportunities in Chicago

11) IL- University of Illinois College of Medicine at Chicago
EM, IM/EM was above mentioned

12) NY- New York- Presbyterian/Queens
Residents: Bro residents, would definitely fit in with the culture here, residents were in shape, all very happy with the program, one resident lovingly called another resident a lazy piece of ****, smaller residency so more attention for mentorship
Faculty: very supportive PD/felt like I related to his style of getting things done (bulldoze for your people), PEM faculty member noted that everything has improved significantly since Dr. Parekh came on
Education: early tracks in medical education, pivoting towards global health, huge focus on the adult learner, have done away with the traditional lecturers, have med ed fellows that would likely cause improved training/knowledge retention, actively discussed adult learning theory, 1 site would make it easy to get familiar and focus on sick people, hospital is academic/county/community mix, very robust feedback, feels like they’ve been pulling in tons of folks with fellowships and avoiding generalists, off service rotations don’t require scut work
Perks: huge focus on wellness, probably would have to rely heavily on translator phone service, but medical student even said it was super easy, medical students that were rotating really seemed to enjoy it and said everyone was super great, NYC, reported good job placement, have a house just for EM, , would get to live in luxury/affordable housing in NYC, acuity, , don’t work with EM doctors that have been grandfathered in, , wellness Wednesdays, would definitely be happy here, , a lot of supportive ancillary services, looked like a very busy ED/chaotic, they gave us things to do while we waited that showed the program had some personality,
Con: no EMS, no social EM, new sim center wont open until 2020 and the one they have looked relatively small, switching to EPIC in one year/after internship will have to learn new EMR, flushing NYC/further away from Columbia/Manhattan sites, but could live in Astoria, one site so possible lack of diversity regarding different ED flows, don’t know how well I clicked with med ed fellow/don’t know how I liked his approach when asked how he provides feedback

13) NY- Montefiore Medical Center/Albert Einstein College of Medicine (Jacob/Montefiore) (Bronx)
Residents: Outside of that one particular chief, everyone seemed nice. Interests supported by program (Chief doing Int’l EM, tapping into medical school resources), they had mentorship program for community outreach
Faculty: seemed engaging.
Education- nothing formalized, PGY3 hosts Friday rounds, sounds like didactics are evolving but interns sounded like they weren’t too enthusiastic about them, sounds like you wont need much in the way of formal didactics bc you’ll probably see it all in the ED anyways, frequently referenced needing to be a self-starter, huge/diverse patient population, can read the google reviews for Jacobi- great place for EM
Leadership opportunities- didn’t really seem like there were any formalized leadership opportunities; kind of a “make your own way”
Perks: large class size, large alumni network, $900 rent w/3366 BAH, 10k bonus, Epic
Con: just did not feel right here, maybe it was bc that guy is kind of a dick head. Seemed like they were resting on their laurels a bit in terms of trying to sell the program- nothing really updated on the website, frequently kept saying that there was a lot going on that they didn’t sell, but that just sounded lazy. I couldn’t see myself wanting to hang out with that one chief resident. Of the 84 residents, only a handful showed up to rounds/pre-interview dinner, granted it is late in the season

14) IL- Loyola University (Maywood)
Residents: didn’t quite click with them/see myself hanging out with them in some capacity. Reported there were things that they had been unhappy about, but that it quickly changed. 1 person w/a prelim backgroundish. They all said they enjoyed the program.
Faculty: awesome PD/APD/awesome chair. Almost wish they were the ones I would be going to residency with. Very supportive and engaged faculty, huge # of backgrounds. 1:1 ratio, seems like there isn’t a culture to push back at the residents. Frequent feedback, responsive to change
Leadership: could probably be in charge of whatever, first one to start building Loyola EM programs from the ground up; STEME- early involvement in EMS/MedED/whatever I wanted w/curriculum, residents already looking to be a part of EMRA/ACEP committees
Education: Loyola resources tones of money to finance whatever I was interested in, multiple STEME tracks, a lot of sim, a little U/S (only one in ED) trauma airway as a PGY2 ( still graduated responsibility), other residents have sense of ownership over EM residents, huge plans for EMS
Cons: residents complained of # of procedures, airway (but tall residents did get 15/6 mo), not set in stone regarding jobs/fellowships s/p residency, it sounds like chair has a plan, a lot of planning going on, nothing concrete, no senior residents, would stop being a 1 hospital program (looking to gain MacNeal- may be pro/con); only 1 site w/48k visits so may have limited diversity (may not matter in situation where you have 6 residents), not entirely sure what PGY3 would look like 1: 1faculty v in charge of team
Perks: gym in hospital, shifts accomoate rosch review, weekly quizzes for in service exam

Last edited:
Addtl info from above post (wouldn't allow me to post all of it on one):

Anything else to add?
All of the programs were excellent, I probably still don't feel confident in the list, and I would be happy to match at programs 1-14, a lot of great people doing great things in the world.

Programs you applied to:
Everywhere with an Ivy League name, everywhere in Chicago, DC, MD, NYC, Philly, Cali (minus the desert ones), +LSU New Orleans, as a non-traditional applicant w/o traditional SLOE's, and having used a year of GME for my TY, I was quite panicked. Applied to about 50?

LSU Baton Rouge, Stony Brook, Temple University, Jefferson Health NorthEast, New York Medical College

All above

Programs from which you withdrew before hearing anything:
UC San Diego, Kaiser San Diego, Brookdale, Mayo Clinic, St Barnabas, Wyckoff

lol every program in the above geographic regions not listed, WL at: Johns Hopkins, LAC-USC, Dartmouth, Boston Medical Center, Northwestern

Applicant Summary:
Board Scores: 220's/240's (USMLE) 600's/600's (COMLEX)
EM Rotations: Unsure/Unsure/Unsure
AOA:
Anything else that made you more competitive: community service

Main considerations in making this ROL: Biggest factor was Location: to be close to family. Underserved patient pop, program mission and vibe. Good luck all!

1) NY- SUNY Health Science Center at Brooklyn
This place is amazing. This is the patient population I want to serve and these are the people I want to learn from. No other program comes close to how I feel about this place. I love the county experience. I love how hard everyone goes for the patients here. I want to learn from the best.

2) NY- Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell (Manhasset)
Pros: Northwell is a huge empire and they have a ton of connections and resources. I hope those connections and resources will help get me back to NYC. Hospitals are only 8 mins apart. Subsidized housing. Ridiculous pay $$$ so no worries on rent if you don't get the subsidized housing. Seems like they can set you up for success
Cons: It's on Long Island. Northshore hospital not very diverse. Driving

3) NY- Lincoln Medical & Mental Health Center Program (Bronx)
Pros: County style which I love. I would love to serve these patients. Excellent training, where you would see/do a lot. (South Bronx)
The faculty and residents I met seem to really love it there. In person Spanish interpreters
Cons: 12 hour shifts all 4 years means they work HARD AF. I feel insecure that I am not fluent in Spanish so I may get sad and frustrated with myself for it. Expensive COL and I'm unsure about compensation. Few Resources

4) NY- St. Barnabas (Bronx)
Community shop that feels county
Basically the same as Lincoln except they have OMM here and I don't wanna do OMM. They don't have in person Spanish interpreters

5) NY- Stony Brook Medicine
Pros: Close AF to family. Seems like solid training for the 3 years. Strong Critical care if you're into that sort of thing. Many resources. I really like the PD, and he was one of my favorites I met. Easily top 2 favorite PDs
Cons: I don't think I can be happy living on Long Island, especially this far east. Driving. Not really the patient pop I'm looking for

6) NY- University of Rochester
Pros: This is also an ideal patient population for me.

I would have ranked it even higher if it weren't for location and weather (which also has to do with location). This is a great program. I had great vibes. It was just too damn far for me to rank it higher than a few of the others. If I match here I would be sad because I have to move very far away from family, but I will be glad it's an excellent program. I liked the people I met here

7) PA- Albert Einstein Healthcare Network Program
Pros: Great patient population who I would love to serve. Seem to have decent amount of resources to take care of the patients well. Phili is cool
Cons: They have one rotation that's far and you need to drive to it (I'm so used to public transit and HATE driving). Didn't vibe with anyone there

8) NJ- Newark Beth Israel
Pros: It looks like the type of patient population that I would love to serve. Prob some solid training
Cons: They don't seem to have many resources. I don't really wanna live in NJ but I'm ranking it above the places below it because I don't think it can be worse than them.

9) NY- Brooklyn Hospital Center Program
Pros: The patient population
Cons: Lack of resources, too much scut work, 4 years of 12 hour shifts, very low pay for such high COL

10) NY- Wyckoff Heights (Brooklyn)
Same as Brooklyn Hospital. Except it's a new program and only 3 years. Had some weird vibes from them. Did not really like it, but would rather match.

11) NY- NYCOMEC (Middletown)
These are not my people. Rubbed me the wrong way when they said that they do not match people who do not interview or do a shadow shift. Ranking it may be pointless but whatever

Programs you applied to:
over 90 programs. Every Program in NY, and many all along the east coast

RowanSOM, Brandon FL, Argnot Elmira, Cleveland Clinic Akron, NUMC, Aventura, Detroit Recieving, Sinai Grace, Sweedish Covenant, Nazareth, Good Samaritan (Towards the end of the season I decided to cancel a few to save money on travel)

All those who I ranked

A ton of fancy ones from outside of NY that I forgot I applied to. I didn't get any NY rejections

Applicant Summary:
Board Scores: <200/230's (USMLE)
EM Rotations: Honors/HP/Honors
Med School Region: Southwest
Anything else that made you more competitive: Extensive leadership in EM-related projects, plenty of volunteer work, former EMT

Main considerations in making this ROL: Fit/feel, academic opportunities/interests, location

1) CT- Yale New Haven
vibed well with residents, really liked faculty, county population with real resources, good global health opportunities, awesome salary/benefits with low(er) COL

don't really like new haven but it's not the end of the world for me

2) CA- Alameda Health- Highland Hospital
honestly would've loved to put this one first - vibed well with faculty and residents, awesome county experience and training, but the COL in the Bay Area is horrendous

3) IL- University of Chicago
liked the faculty and residents, and this was the only 3 year to make it in my top 5 (i'm sad i didn't like the other 3 years just as much as this one)

Chicago COL, didn't like this program as much as #1 and #2

4) MO- Washington University-B-JH/SLCH Consortium (St. Louis)
i was surprised this one ended up so high - training seems amazing, PD and residents were awesome

st louis is not my favorite place

great reputation and i really liked the faculty/most residents were really cool

curriculum has too little elective time/too much work to justify a 4 year residency imo

6) CA- UC San Francisco
loved the faculty and residents were cool. would probably be happy here, but the COL (even with the stipend) is still ridiculous

7) DE- Christiana
cheap COL with trade off of DE... super strong clinical training, but patient population and residency is very homogenous

8) NC- University of North Carolina
Was actually higher on my rank list (#6) until the whole debacle happened prior to rank lists being due; I'm personally not that bothered by an APP training program because I'd rather have APPs be competent in the ED if they're going to be there, but the pay discrepancy + shadiness of the whole ordeal bothered me enough to move them down a bit

9) AZ- U of A Tucson
some of the faculty/residents bothered my internal radar enough to made my gut lower them on the rank list without an actual reason why; program seems fine, but one of the residents did mention that they have to get a lot of their skills signed off through simulation

10) MI- University of Michigan Health System (Ann Arbor)
liked the former PD and the open communication with choosing the new PD; one interviewer was weird but the rest were fine. I really don't like Ann Arbor/Michigan though

11) TX- Baylor College of Medicine Program
Really cool residents, diverse program with good clinical training. New PD though and not sure I'll like Houston.

12) MI- Henry Ford Hospital/Wayne State University (Detroit)
PD and faculty were awesome, residents were a little strange and I didn't get along with them that well. I also don't like Michigan/Detroit

13) AR- University of Arkansas
PD was very nice, but I did not get along well with the residents imo. Very homogenous residency.

14) IL- University of Illinois College of Medicine at Peoria
Considered DNRing, but still would rather match here than nowhere else. Very few female residents (only one at interview dinner and none on interview day). Didn't meet any female faculty, only old white men with whom I could barely hold a conversation. Misogynistic comments throughout the preinterview dinner ("that's why we shouldn't let women make decisions" - from an actual PGY3). Internal alarm was going off the whole time.
All of this without even counting the fact that it's a religious institution that limits your ability to practice and receive certain benefits on their insurance (e.g., they won't pay for your birth control).

Programs you applied to:
too many

also declined a lot (over 20 declined)

i ranked all that i interviewed at

way too many

Members don't see this ad :)

Applicant Summary:
Board Scores: 240's/250's (USMLE)
EM Rotations: HP/Honors/Honors
Med School Region: Midwest
Anything else that made you more competitive: lots of volunteer activities (though not a lot of questions about them during interviews, so got the feeling residencies care less about this).

Main considerations in making this ROL: leaned county. wanted warm region. feels during interview and dinner. didn't really care about 3 vs. 4. some consideration for closeness to family, but this wasn't a priority. want to live in a new part of the country.

1) CA- Alameda Health- Highland Hospital

+County, strong mission, diverse, strong reputation, great alumni network, loved the APD and PD, focus on resident wellness, cool and nice residents, loved what I saw of Oakland and SF, family feel, variety of sites at highland, kaiser, UCSF (well-rounded experience). Of the top prgms, highland and harbor are known for their strong reputation without any rumors about overworking their residents.

-COL, small faculty size (what if I don't gel with 1 or more?).

2) GA- Emory
+county, mission-oriented, diverse, strong reputation but still humble about it, loved the residents and the pre-interview social. 3 years and still well-rounded curriculum with 2 elective months. For a big class size, people still seemed close-knit during the social. If Atlanta had more mountains and outdoor nature things to do, this would've been 1. Would be absolutely thrilled to match here. Kind of wish I had pulled the trigger and made this 1, but I enjoyed Oakland and sf more during my interview days.

-liked but didn't love Atlanta. This was towards the end of interview season so I didn't explore all that much/was burned out/napped and watched tv on my extra day, but wish I had explored more to really see if Atlanta was for me. It was also kind of cold, which I wasn't expecting.

3) CO- Denver Health
+county, strong reputation, the 3rd years here were stronger than the 4th years at some of the places I interviewed and rotated so the training does produce amazing clinicians, but at the cost of a tough 4 years with high shift burden. Denver and surrounding cities are perfect with mountains, lakes, etc., and I hear winters are mild despite snow. Sunshine.

-burnout here is real with the lack of shift reduction and very busy shifts with high volume and high responsibility that increases each year. lack of diversity in the resident classes--they definitely have diverse applicants so feel like diversity is lacking maybe because it isn't a priority. would be a tough 4 years in a city in which I know no one, and I think I could get the equivalent training at emory and highland without the burnout and tough schedule. In other words, I tried the kool--aid, and liked it somewhat, but am not going to sponsor it, unless I match there.

4) CA- UCLA David Geffen/Olive View
Had mixed feelings about this one. Liked LA with the mountains and the beach and have a really good friend who lives there. Didn't really gel with the residents and faculty or PD, though they seemed really nice. Was really looking forward to this one, and left feeling a bit disappointed, though I couldn't pinpoint the exact reason. Objectively though, this place has a good mix of academic, county-ish, and community sites and residents seem happy. That housing stipend allays any fear about not being able to afford LA. Lots of elective time in 4th year. It has a great reputation for clinical strength and wellness. Grads can get jobs anywhere. Maybe my off-feeling was because this was the only social where there were mainly attendings and a large ratio of applicants to program people, so I didn't get to chat with many residents? My interviews were also not memorable--can't remember who I interviewed with at all. I don't know. On paper, this is a great residency in a great location with great benefits and I decided to trust that over my gut since I couldn't pinpoint why I didn't like this interview.

5) MA- Boston University Medical Center
+I loved this place--loved the social mission, the county vibe with great resources, how it serves the underserved populations the other Boston programs ignore (intentional shade thrown at the HAEMRs), loved the residents and the faculty. Close to my family. Left the interview feeling like this would be the one. Got all the feels. But the high cost of living with no housing stipend and the winters made me drop this one to 5. If the COL was lower or they provided a significant housing stipend, this would be 1. Would be happy to match here, and will be impressed by everyone who matches at this amazing program. wish i was financially secure enough to place this higher.
-COL, winter

6) CT- Yale New Haven
+liked the PD and faculty who are known for advocating for their residents, really big focus on wellness, new haven has a large underserved population that yale EM serves, heard great things about the bridgeport curriculum. strong ultrasound and sim curriculum. strong penetrating trauma exposure. pizza. relatively low COL in new haven and high salary that would lead to a comfortable resident life financially.
-not a lot to do in new haven. cold winters.

7) FL- University of Florida Jacksonville
+strong reputation for county, liked the PD who seemed genuine about wanting to help residents grow, liked how warm jacksonville was in the winter. liked the residents during the social who had only good things to say about their program and seemed sincere. had no "match violation" questions as others report. near the beach.

-not sure how much I'd like living in jacksonville as a city. Good food but not all that much to do.

8) MN- Health Partners Institute/Regions Hospital (St. Paul)
+these residents were by far my favorite on the trail. I didn't even care that they weren't diverse, which is pretty important to me otherwise. They were just so incredibly nice, down to earth, and welcoming. Supposedly true of most minnesotans, so I get why most of them end up staying for life. relatively low COL. liked the video the PD sent out to all applicants. Regions has a strong reputation, though is maybe overshadowed by hennepin. If Minnesota wasn't so damn cold with a long winter, this would have been much higher on the list.

-so, so cold, and long winters. Don't think I want to live in the midwest in the long-term and most residents are from MN or end up becoming lifers.

9) PA- UPMC
+the PD is a gem who really cares about making the program more diverse. jeep shifts sound interesting. good variety of local sites for EM. 3 years.
-did not gel with the residents. only 1 female resident at the social, and the classes are very white and male. pittsburgh was a cooler city than i thought, but still not my ideal location.

10) ME- Maine Medical Center
Portland seems cute, but was cold and rainy during my stay. I've heard this program described by others as a hidden gem. unopposed so residents get to do a lot. but the population served is mainly old and white (though some refugee populations if I'm remembering correctly?), and trauma is limited. some of the residents seemed very bro-ish. I'm not a surfer or a biker so not sure I'd fit in well. Also didn't vibe all that well with the new PD during my interview.

11) NY- Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
Elmhurst would be amazing. not sure about everything else. class size is huge after the merge with BI, and some residents admitted this affected the newer classes in terms of how close they were. Manhattan is hella expensive, and no housing stipend, so don't want to spend thousands to live in a closet-sized apartment. And then all the bad press. NY ED with all its associated issues (too few nurses, having to do your own labs and pushing patients to scanners--seems like it would detract from learning experience; 4 years of that would drive me up the wall).

12) WI- University of Wisconsin Hospitals and Clinics Program (Madison)
Madison is very affordable and beautiful with all the lakes. population and class not as diverse as I would like. newer residency, but with good flight exposure if that's your thing. 3+1 is cool. liked most of the faculty I met, though some of the residents made references to 1 or 2 attendings no one liked working with. Don't want to live in the midwest long term.

Anything Else To Add?
Decided to cap my interviews at 12. Don't know how people do more. Was very tired by the end. financially, recommend swapandsnooze app for free stays--this cut down my interview expenses in a major way and I got to chat with my host medical students about the program to get an unbiased view. win-win.

thankful for the interviews I got. I think the top sloe from a rotation notorious for grading harshly opened some of those doors. But it still feels very random, where i got interviews at places I wasn't expecting and got rejected from places I thought were a sure thing. So make sure you apply broadly, and around 40 is a good number for the average applicant.

Programs You Applied To:
Harbor, USC/LAC, Stanford, UC Davis, cook county, Hennepin, Utah, UChicago, Brown, Indiana, Carolinas, UWash, Christiana, Advocate Christ, Oregon, Beth Isreal, Mass gen, NYU, Temple, Baylor, UCSF, Vanderbilt, Orlando Health, Cincinnati, 12 listed in rank list

USC/LAC, Utah, Christiana, Advocate Christ

12 I ranked

none

Rejected: stanford, hennepin, uchicago, brown, carolinas, Uwash, oregon, beth israel, ucsf, vanderbilt, orlando health, cincinnati
Ghosted: UCLA Harbor (really wanted this one, would've likely been my number 1), UC Davis, Cook County, Indiana, Mass gen, NYU, Temple, Baylor

Applicant Summary:
Board Scores: 240's/250's (USMLE) >700/650's (COMLEX)
Med School Region: Southeast
Anything else that made you more competitive: Non-traditional student with a lot of life experience (unrelated to medicine) prior to starting school.

Main considerations in making this ROL: Geographic location - Want to be in the Northeast

1) MA- UMMS Baystate
Baystate was a last minute application add on because I generally wanted to be in the NYC area. The pre-interview dinner was one of the best I had, and I felt that I really clicked with the residents. On interview day, I had the same experience with all of the faculty that I met. The program director is awesome and has all of the residents call him by his first name. It’s a Level 1 trauma with excellent training, and I'm okay with the graded responsibility. I love Western MA, especially the Northampton area where all of the residents live. It is incredibly gay friendly, which is important for me. I love outdoor activities like hiking and skiing. Resident wellness is a priority, shifts aren't longer than 9 hours. The ED was super nice, lots of acuity and volume. Some bigger names in FOAMed.

2) NY- Maimonides Medical Center (Brooklyn)
In Brooklyn, which is an awesome place to live for a young, single, gay resident. The PD seemed caring and genuine, and a prominent name in the EM world. Faculty is really into ultrasound, which I've realized is really important to me in a program. Other big names in the EM FOAMed world. I think they would be a good location to grow my specific niche interests. Lots of acuity in the ED. They do event medicine, and their residents work burning man. Shifts are a mix of hours, but 12’s on the weekends.

Cons- Brooklyn is expensive. ED is one of the worst I've seen in terms of quality and aesthetics. Different languages, so you have the use the translator.

3) NY- SUNY Health Science Center at Brooklyn
The pre-interview dinner was super chill. Some of the nicest and closest residents that I've met on the trail. The interview day was short and to the point, which is really appreciated also. I will be prepared for almost anything after residency. Very well respected name in the EM community. Tons of opportunity for trauma and procedures. Apparently, the ED pretty much runs the hospital. They are a county program and so I would be exposed to under-served populations, which I’m interested in working with.

Cons- They work 12 hour shifts the first two years. Four year program.

4) NJ- St. Joseph's University Medical Center
Did an audition here and had a really good experience. Even though they're not a level 1, I saw my fair share of trauma during the month I was here. Very academically inclined. Started the ALTO program. Close enough to NYC that I wouldn't have to live in Jersey if I didn't want to. ED is really nice, and has a pod system.

Cons- Patterson, bleh.

5) NY- Stony Brook Medicine
I ended up liking this program a lot more than I thought I would, and ranked it higher despite the location not being what I want. University program with tons of money and super nice ED. See a good amount of pathology. Have an ICU in the ED. The residents seemed really down to earth.

Cons- Kind of in the middle of nowhere on long island.

6) NY- New York- Presbyterian Brooklyn Methodist Hospital

In Park Slope. See a good amount of acuity. The faculty is super into ultra sound, tons of machines, and have a fellowship. The residents that I met seemed really happy. They go to Brookdale for their trauma. Good benefits, residents are unionized.

Cons- 12 Hours shifts

7) NY- Montefiore Medical Center/Albert Einstein College of Medicine (Jacob/Montefiore) (Bronx)
Very well respected program with a ton of acuity. Good mix of academics with county. Feel as though I would be prepared for anything walking out of here. Ranked lower on my list because I felt that I wouldn't have any decent work/life balance.

Cons- 12 Hour shifts with a ton of shifts per month. Living in the Bronx. 4 Year program.

8) NY- St. John's Riverside (Yonkers)
9) NY- Good Samaritan Hospital (West Islip)
10) FL- Florida Atlantic University Charles E. Schmidt

The leadership seemed incredible. Female PD. The residents seemed happy and not overworked. Seemed pretty academic. Most of the faculty are fellowship trained. I think I would be happy if I ended up here.

Cons- Not a lot of diversity. The area is okay, but not close enough to a big city.

11) FL- Jackson Memorial (Miami)
Level 1 trauma with a ton of pathology. County program.

Cons- New program. Don’t really want to live in Miami. Anesthesia gets trauma airways.

Anything else to add?
Ended up going on 16 interviews, but I'm too lazy to write anything up past 11.

I had what I thought was a red flag, a dismissed charge which I chose to disclose on my application. It might have prevented me from getting some interviews, but I still ended up with 21 offers. Was only asked about it on 2 interviews, and one was because they wanted to make sure it wouldn't stop me from being credentialed. Both were minimally awkward.

Programs you applied to:
54 Total

St. Barnabas, Arnot Ogden, Advent Health Orlando, UCF Orlando, Orange Park Medical Center

Orlando Regional Medical Center

Applicant Summary:
Board Scores: 250's/240's (USMLE)
Anything else that made you more competitive:
4+ year scribe experience
Quality improvement research (trauma and EM)

Main considerations in making this ROL:
-"Fit" with residents and program culture
-Perceived quality of training (whatever that means)
-Elective opportunity
-Relatively valuable off-service rotations
-Location with job opportunities for SO

1) NY- University of Rochester
Pros:
-Seemed like solid volume and pathology. Good peds exposure.
-Really liked the idea of running the resusc/trauma bay as a PGY2-3
-Had some great interactions with faculty during interviews. Felt like they really cared about producing high quality residents and making the program work for them.
-Strong alumni network for job/fellowship placement pretty much anywhere.
-Could really see myself fitting in well at this program.
-I actually like the city of Rochester and don't mind the snow so this seemed like a no-brainer.

Cons:
-There was some concern about the quality of some off-service rotations but I chalked this up to individual resident experience.
-Have to pay for parking sort of far from the hospital.
-No dictation until 6 months into PGY-1 (not really a huge deal IMO)

2) VA- Virginia Commonwealth University Health System Program
Pros:
-This was one of the programs that surprised me. I really bought the "county feel with academic resources" vibe that they seemed to be trying to sell.
-Program leadership seemed very supportive and transparent. Seemed to be working to improve the off-service experience.
-Very strong ultrasound presence (and subspecialty in general) which was a plus for me.
-Probably some of a happiest residents I met.
-Richmond was one of my favorite cities of any interview.

Cons:
-SO wasn't especially thrilled about the location.
-Prefer Epic to Cerner but that's not really a reason to change ROL.

3) PA- St. Luke's Bethlehem
Pros:
-Definitely different program from most of my list but I rotated here any had a really great experience.
-Really great group of residents. Attendings were all incredibly down to earth but also solid clinical educators which I think makes this an outstanding community program.
-Very solid peds experience. Residents do (almost) all of their own ortho.
-Outstanding faculty. PD is fantastic and multiple APDs who are very supportive of developing resident interests. This was a large part of what pushed this so high up my list.
-Expanding health system with growing opportunities.
-Good subspecialty representation for the size (ultrasound, tox, education, EMS, critical care) with surgical critical care fellowship (w/ strong EM-CCM presence) and developing EMS fellowship.

Cons:
-It is a fairly small program (in terms of volume) relative to the number of residents in the program. That being said, when I rotated there was no shortage of patients to be seen including critically ill patients and procedures to be had. Volume has been growing as well (like just about every ED).
-Bethlehem is meh but I really like the surrounding area(s).

4) NC- Duke University Hospital
Pros:
-As many have mentioned, PD is awesome. Very supportive and clearly passionate about the program.
-Opportunities to get involved in just about anything within (or probably outside of) EM.
-Many solid residency programs have potential for valuable off-service rotations.
-Community experience seemed pretty solid which I thought was important since Duke is obviously an academic megacenter.
-I liked Durham. I'm not a huge city person so size seems good for my wants.
-Definitely got along with all of the residents I met. Seemed like a good group that I would fit in with just fine.

Cons:
-Probably a little referral/transfer heavy as expected. I wonder whether that is balanced enough with the community hospital(s) but I suspect that it is. Also seems like that gives opportunities for a higher percentage of uncommon procedures, etc.
-I could see off service rotations being very strong or very malignant.
-I didn't get the sense of "you need to use the Duke resources if you match here" impression that others have.

5) VA- University of Virginia Medical Center Program
Pros:
-Really liked the PD. Thought she had a great vision for the program and she's largely the reason UVA ended up so high on my list.
-The new ED is incredible and the department chair really seemed to take pride in how it was designed and what he hoped it would bring to the department and their patients.
-Really liked the residents. Seemed like they really got along and were supportive of the program.
-Lots of opportunity for research/subspecialty, etc.

Cons:
-Wasn't too crazy about Charlottesville.
-Slightly concerned about their volume, though all of the upper level residents said it never seemed to be an issue and they felt more than prepared to enter practice after graduation.

6) CO- Denver Health
-Obligatory "legendary program" which is true and they have that reputation for a reason
-I definitely got the sense that they took a lot of pride in training here and it shows that they can go pretty much anywhere and do anything after residency.
-I really like the idea of the hybrid county/academic/community and this was probably the program that executes that idea the best. Also seemed like one of the most well structured programs.
-Really liked Dr. Kaplan
-Great group of residents. I didn't get the sense that they "work too much" or whatever the concerns about this are.
-I really liked Denver and this program would have been higher on my list except for the fact that I prefer 3 years to 4, and it would be nearly impossible for my SO to move here/find a job.

7) WV- West Virginia University Program
-I actually almost cancelled my interview here but was very pleasantly surprised. I think this was the best group of residents I met. Really got along with them well and had some great conversations with residents and spouses. Really had some good feels about the people and the culture of the program.
-The PD seemed really passionate about the program and the other interviews really highlighted the strengths of the program.
-Major emphasis on ultrasound and teaching with the medical school
-Defined role in traumas

Morgantown wasn't my favorite location but I could still see myself living there.
I came in a little worried about the volume/acuity but left feeling reassured about it (though I don't remember why).

8) NY- Albany Medical Center
Another program I was somewhat surprised by.
Very large catchment area for upstate NY and parts of NH, VT, MA
Solid volume and acuity for the size
Residents seemed happy with the training
Great PD. Program leadership very supportive (almost too supportive) for residents to find a niche within EM and really work to make it possible.
Really wasn't sold on Albany as a location. COL was higher than I expected for a city that wasn't too desirable.

9) NC- Wake Forest University School of Medicine Program
Another program that would have been higher but SO would have a hard time finding a job in or around Winston-Salem.

Well-established program with very solid leadership
Good acuity and volume
More resources than I expected.
I actually liked Winston-Salem as a location. The city tour was a little unusual but was actually ended up being a nice way to end the day.
Residents felt that they were well-respected throughout the hospital and on off-service rotations.
The ED itself could probably use an update (I think they were working on it?)

10) VA- Eastern Virginia Medical School Program
Great leadership, one of my favorite PDs.
Liked the fact that they are associated with an SDG which hires a lot of their grads but also worried that they might just be focused on training residents to fit that specific need.
Overall seemed very solid just without anything exceptional.

11) PA- Sidney Kimmel/Thomas Jefferson University
Seems like they benefited from the Hahnneman situation. Volume and trauma has increased substantially. One person (can't remember if a resident or faculty) said they felt the acuity wasn't really high enough until that happened.
Really liked the program director and some of the faculty. Others felt a little odd during the interview. Maybe it was me.
Also not thrilled about the idea of expanding the number of residents this year. I realize they already expanded by absorbing some of the old Hahnneman residents.
Philly definitely isn't my favorite city but is a great place to live.
Wanted to rank them higher but felt more strongly about the other programs on my list.

12) PA- UPMC (Pittsburgh)

I really wanted to like it here.
I wasn't entirely sold that they really had the academic/community mix that they seemed to be selling. They probably do.
Department chair talked for about an hour before the interview day (under the premise of "to answer any questions you have") and mostly just talked about how himself and how great they are which really turned me off. Something just felt off during the interview and this didn't seem like the right program for me.

13) PA- Geisinger Health System Program
Very solid and well-established community program
Great leadership. Dr. Wilson has a great vision for the program.
Location and volume weren't ideal for me which is why they're pretty low on my list.

14) SC- Prisma Health-Upstate/University of South Carolina School of Medicine Greenville Program
Rotated here. Loved the location, PD is outstanding. Really awesome opportunity to be part of a growing program which I really believe with be exceptional very soon.
Didn't rank it higher because SO wouldn't be able to find a job here. Otherwise, would have easily been 6-8 spots higher.

15) PA- Reading Hospital Program
Tons of potential. Huge volume, high acuity. Lots of resources and financial support.
New PD seems really good. Kind of odd that the old PD left and no one seems to know why.
Got the sense that they need a few more years to work out some of the issues which is the only reason I ranked it so low.

16) NC- Vidant Health/East Carolina University Program
I really wanted to like this program. Again, high volume high acuity. Seems to have a great setup to be a very strong program but my interview experience was really not great. Just a bizarre experience and none of my interviews felt like they were well put together. Mentioned some potentially serious logistical issues within the department.
This just didn't seem like a place I would thrive.

Anything Else To Add?
A lot of this was very "stream of consciousness" and probably could have been better organized.
I didn't remember enough specifics to comment on every program (probably a mistake)
Overall, I would be absolutely thrilled to match at most of these programs.

Rejected:
Carolinas Medical Center
Emory
Hennepin
Cincinnati
University of North Carolina
Vanderbilt

Never Heard From:
Carillon Clinic - Virginia Teach
Case Western (MetroHealth)
Christiana Care
Indiana
Stanford
Temple
University of Kentucky

Waitlisted:
University of Maryland
Maine Medical Center

I read all these lists and the "things that make you more competitive" always sounds so cool for all of you. prior EMT or hella volunteering or college athletics or strong leadership. I have literally nothing.

I just play lots of sports, board games, adopted an angry cat, and I love drinking new beers

Is there a thread about post interview e-mails? I got an e-mail from my #1 but I have no idea if it is generic or actually means something. It said "We feel that you would be a great addition to our program and hope that you will consider us for your training." But again, hard to know if that got sent to RTM people or say....top 1/3 of their rank list.

Is there a thread about post interview e-mails? I got an e-mail from my #1 but I have no idea if it is generic or actually means something. It said "We feel that you would be a great addition to our program and hope that you will consider us for your training." But again, hard to know if that got sent to RTM people or say....top 1/3 of their rank list.
Please see the million other comments explaining how post-interview communication means literally nothing.

Reactions: 1 users
I wanna see someone randomly call some program like Eastern Virginia Medical School or Ohio State 'legendary' just to see the LAC/Denver/Highlands crew rip them to shreds. DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHAT A PULLBACK IS? AT LAC SURGERY ISN'T EVEN ALLOWED IN THE ED WHEN THERES A THORACOTOMY GOING ON!

I wanna see someone randomly call some program like Eastern Virginia Medical School or Ohio State 'legendary' just to see the LAC/Denver/Highlands crew rip them to shreds. DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHAT A PULLBACK IS? AT LAC SURGERY ISN'T EVEN ALLOWED IN THE ED WHEN THERES A THORACOTOMY GOING ON!

On a similar note, I thought it was kind of surprising that all the 4 year programs I saw seemed to do this same system with some version of “pre-attending” or pullback, but none of the 3 year programs I saw had a similar experience.

I kind of wonder why it’s not something more places try to do? Is it a gimmick that actually isn’t all that useful? Or are 3 year programs using that roll, just under a different name?

Been discussed before and the general rule is, you really cant trust anyone, students or programs, to be honest. There are honest people out there, probably the majority, but there are people who aren't truthful as well. So you should never bias your list based on this stuff.

As a general rule of thumb:

From Students:
- I'm ranking you #1 = I'm ranking you #1
- I'm ranking you highly = Probably are in the top 3-4, but aren't #1
- I would be happy/thrilled to train at your program = Middle to lower part of the list

From Programs:
- You are ranked to match = You are ranked in the top so many spots that they match. So if they take 10 a year, you are in the top 10
- You are ranked highly/very highly = Probably in the top 1/3, maybe into the top half, of the list, where the program typically would have people still match in
- We would be happy to train you / You will make a great resident / or any other comment not including the above = Middle 1/3, maybe lower if they email their entire list

However thats just kind of a common sense interpretation. Understand everyone is going to do things different. For instance, we generally don't tell people they are ranked to match. We contact people about down to the top 1/3 by email to say they are ranked highly including our top 8. We match people below those that we contacted all the time, you should statistically expect to go to your middle 1/3. The reason for not contacting people in the middle 1/3 and having a higher cutoff than we expect to match is credibility. Don't want to tell someone we are ranking them highly, have them misconstrue that, and if they didn't match because we had a stellar year, be angry about it. That's just one example. I know of programs that email every candidate they rank with the same "we would be happy to train you" email whether you are #1 or #90. So you just never ever know.

I hope that helps.

Reactions: 4 users
On a similar note, I thought it was kind of surprising that all the 4 year programs I saw seemed to do this same system with some version of “pre-attending” or pullback, but none of the 3 year programs I saw had a similar experience.

I kind of wonder why it’s not something more places try to do? Is it a gimmick that actually isn’t all that useful? Or are 3 year programs using that roll, just under a different name?

A 4 year program is 100% a waste of time and resources. They'll spin it all kinds of ways.

Reactions: 3 users
Been discussed before and the general rule is, you really cant trust anyone, students or programs, to be honest. There are honest people out there, probably the majority, but there are people who aren't truthful as well. So you should never bias your list based on this stuff.

As a general rule of thumb:

From Students:
- I'm ranking you #1 = I'm ranking you #1
- I'm ranking you highly = Probably are in the top 3-4, but aren't #1
- I would be happy/thrilled to train at your program = Middle to lower part of the list

From Programs:
- You are ranked to match = You are ranked in the top so many spots that they match. So if they take 10 a year, you are in the top 10
- You are ranked highly/very highly = Probably in the top 1/3, maybe into the top half, of the list, where the program typically would have people still match in
- We would be happy to train you / You will make a great resident / or any other comment not including the above = Middle 1/3, maybe lower if they email their entire list

However thats just kind of a common sense interpretation. Understand everyone is going to do things different. For instance, we generally don't tell people they are ranked to match. We contact people about down to the top 1/3 by email to say they are ranked highly including our top 8. We match people below those that we contacted all the time, you should statistically expect to go to your middle 1/3. The reason for not contacting people in the middle 1/3 and having a higher cutoff than we expect to match is credibility. Don't want to tell someone we are ranking them highly, have them misconstrue that, and if they didn't match because we had a stellar year, be angry about it. That's just one example. I know of programs that email every candidate they rank with the same "we would be happy to train you" email whether you are #1 or #90. So you just never ever know.

I hope that helps.

That might be how you use those terms, but it’s not universal. I’ve heard of plenty of med studs “ranked to match” that didn’t match there. My interpretation is that ranked to match means “we typically need 30 to fill our 10 spots, you’re in the top 30 and would match in a typical year.”

The problem is that 1) you’re still “pretending”. Autonomy is autonomy, regardless of PGY year. Our residents get a ton of autonomy, but we just label them “senior residents.” 2) what are you modeling? Most docs do community medicine. Supervising med studs and interns doesn’t make you any more competent at that. You know what does? Seeing a lot of patients on your own.

Window dressing.

The problem is that 1) you’re still “pretending”. Autonomy is autonomy, regardless of PGY year. Our residents get a ton of autonomy, but we just label them “senior residents.” 2) what are you modeling? Most docs do community medicine. Supervising med studs and interns doesn’t make you any more competent at that. You know what does? Seeing a lot of patients on your own.

Window dressing.
Totally agree for a majority of programs - but there are some places that churn out a majority of academic doc’s instead of community.

That might be how you use those terms, but it’s not universal. I’ve heard of plenty of med studs “ranked to match” that didn’t match there. My interpretation is that ranked to match means “we typically need 30 to fill our 10 spots, you’re in the top 30 and would match in a typical year.”

Agreed, which is why I tried to make it clear that was a generalization and wont be applicable to everyone or every program. Programs are of course going to say things differently and there will be variation, and so you can’t put much faith in any of it. Which is why you shouldnt base your rank list on this kind of stuff.

IMO using the term “ranked to match” implies you are going to match there (ie in a guaranteed spot), but I can see it still being used as a surrogate term for a “ranked highly” candidate in the typical match zone. I just think that is misleading, bc the candidate may still not match there if the program has a better than average year, so then the student really wasnt truly ranked to match. But maybe thats why some use it that way, to make people feel they are wanted more than they are on the actual list. Idk. I think that is a very misleading use of the term in my opinion.

Window dressing.

So I guess it could be useful in the sense that if you plan to do academics, it’ll give you some practice supervising residents/students.

Although I’m not sure I’m sold on the concept that that’s needed to be a good academic attending.

In any case I ranked a few 4 yr programs that use this model, so we’ll see soon enough.

There are 2 reasons to do a 4 year program:

1) you have a pre-established research relationship with some faculty at said program and you need to be there to continue your work in order to launch your academic career

2) you have a severe extenuating familial circumstance and there are no 3 yr programs around you

All other reasons are hogwash. There is no such thing as "oh I feel that a 4 year program fits me better"
A 4 year program is 100% a waste of time and resources. They'll spin it all kinds of ways.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using SDN mobile

Reactions: 5 users

1) you have a pre-established research relationship with some faculty at said program and you need to be there to continue your work in order to launch your academic career

2) you have a severe extenuating familial circumstance and there are no 3 yr programs around you

All other reasons are hogwash. There is no such thing as "oh I feel that a 4 year program fits me better"

How about for those who want to explore some of the niches in EM and want that elective time during residency that most 4 year programs provide to explore them?

How about for those who want to explore some of the niches in EM and want that elective time during residency that most 4 year programs provide to explore them?
lol

on your last day of pgy3 you think your're gonna say, "thank god I have all next year to explore these niches"

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
lol

on your last day of pgy3 you think your're gonna say, "thank god I have all next year to explore these niches"

No, but I foresee myself wanting to be able to explore EMS and HEMS and possibly global health and saying "thank god I have had electives scattered through residency" to be able to at least have a little insight into these areas.

Nope.

Plenty of people who went to 3 yr "explore niches" and go on to do fellowships.

"Mini fellowships", "pre-attending" whatever are all code for "you're gonna work for us to another year at a 300k discount."

No, but I foresee myself wanting to be able to explore EMS and HEMS and possibly global health and saying "thank god I have had electives scattered through residency" to be able to at least have a little insight into these areas.

Nope.

Plenty of people who went to 3 yr "explore niches" and go on to do fellowships.

"Mini fellowships", "pre-attending" whatever are all code for "you're gonna work for us to another year at a 300k discount."

I’m not saying you can’t go on to fellowship from a 3 year program. I’m just saying having the extra elective time might be useful for people who have multiple interests within the field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do what you want lol
I’m not saying you can’t go on to fellowship from a 3 year program. I’m just saying having the extra elective time might be useful for people who have multiple interests within the field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Window dressing.

Totally agree. I am not interested in comparing graduates of 3 year programs vs graduates of 4 year programs right after they graduate. 4 year graduates are most likely going to be better because they have a whole extra year of experience! What I want to compare is graduates of 3 year programs after 1 year as an attending vs graduates of 4 year programs at graduation because both are being compared on the same timeline of 4 years since starting residency. I would venture to guess there isn't much of a difference, and you could argue the 3 year grads could be "better" at that time because they have 1 year of being out in the real world having to manage everything on their own.

Applicant Summary:
Board Scores: <200/230's (USMLE)
Med School Region: Southwest
Anything else that made you more competitive: Extensive leadership in EM-related projects, plenty of volunteer work, former EMT

Main considerations in making this ROL: Fit/feel, academic opportunities/interests, location

1) CT- Yale New Haven
vibed well with residents, really liked faculty, county population with real resources, good global health opportunities, awesome salary/benefits with low(er) COL

don't really like new haven but it's not the end of the world for me

2) CA- Alameda Health- Highland Hospital
honestly would've loved to put this one first - vibed well with faculty and residents, awesome county experience and training, but the COL in the Bay Area is horrendous

3) IL- University of Chicago
liked the faculty and residents, and this was the only 3 year to make it in my top 5 (i'm sad i didn't like the other 3 years just as much as this one)

Chicago COL, didn't like this program as much as #1 and #2

4) MO- Washington University-B-JH/SLCH Consortium (St. Louis)
i was surprised this one ended up so high - training seems amazing, PD and residents were awesome

st louis is not my favorite place

great reputation and i really liked the faculty/most residents were really cool

curriculum has too little elective time/too much work to justify a 4 year residency imo

6) CA- UC San Francisco
loved the faculty and residents were cool. would probably be happy here, but the COL (even with the stipend) is still ridiculous

7) DE- Christiana
cheap COL with trade off of DE... super strong clinical training, but patient population and residency is very homogenous

8) NC- University of North Carolina
Was actually higher on my rank list (#6) until the whole debacle happened prior to rank lists being due; I'm personally not that bothered by an APP training program because I'd rather have APPs be competent in the ED if they're going to be there, but the pay discrepancy + shadiness of the whole ordeal bothered me enough to move them down a bit

9) AZ- U of A Tucson
some of the faculty/residents bothered my internal radar enough to made my gut lower them on the rank list without an actual reason why; program seems fine, but one of the residents did mention that they have to get a lot of their skills signed off through simulation

10) MI- University of Michigan Health System (Ann Arbor)
liked the former PD and the open communication with choosing the new PD; one interviewer was weird but the rest were fine. I really don't like Ann Arbor/Michigan though

11) TX- Baylor College of Medicine Program
Really cool residents, diverse program with good clinical training. New PD though and not sure I'll like Houston.

12) MI- Henry Ford Hospital/Wayne State University (Detroit)
PD and faculty were awesome, residents were a little strange and I didn't get along with them that well. I also don't like Michigan/Detroit

13) AR- University of Arkansas
PD was very nice, but I did not get along well with the residents imo. Very homogenous residency.

14) IL- University of Illinois College of Medicine at Peoria
Considered DNRing, but still would rather match here than nowhere else. Very few female residents (only one at interview dinner and none on interview day). Didn't meet any female faculty, only old white men with whom I could barely hold a conversation. Misogynistic comments throughout the preinterview dinner ("that's why we shouldn't let women make decisions" - from an actual PGY3). Internal alarm was going off the whole time.
All of this without even counting the fact that it's a religious institution that limits your ability to practice and receive certain benefits on their insurance (e.g., they won't pay for your birth control).

Programs you applied to:
too many

also declined a lot (over 20 declined)

i ranked all that i interviewed at

way too many

A lil sus. But congrats if this is true.

A lil sus. But congrats if this is true.

Yeah, I definitely side-eyed those stats with the quality of those programs. Maybe they rotated at a few of those places? Anyway, congrats.

Yeah, I definitely side-eyed those stats with the quality of those programs. Maybe they rotated at a few of those places? Anyway, congrats.

Yea, a lot of those are academic places that are historically known for favoring stats strongly - at least in my reading of Texas Star and such.

And geographically all over. Mix of NE, west coast, SW, Midwest, south, and texas - in no particular order.

But hey who knows. Maybe that person just has bomb ass sloes.

Totally agree. I am not interested in comparing graduates of 3 year programs vs graduates of 4 year programs right after they graduate. 4 year graduates are most likely going to be better because they have a whole extra year of experience! What I want to compare is graduates of 3 year programs after 1 year as an attending vs graduates of 4 year programs at graduation because both are being compared on the same timeline of 4 years since starting residency. I would venture to guess there isn't much of a difference, and you could argue the 3 year grads could be "better" at that time because they have 1 year of being out in the real world having to manage everything on their own.

Agreed, but I would argue the 3 year graduate with one year of clinical experience on their own is more desirable from a hiring standpoint. Being a pre-attending as a 4th year is not the same as getting out and doing EM on your own. I agree, straight out of the gate, a 4th year resident will likely be stronger than a 3rd year resident most times because an extra year of experience is an extra year of experience. But I still think 3 years + 1 as an attending is going to be stronger clinically at managing a department.

But in the end, people should do whatever fits their interests. 4 year program in your hometown you don't want to leave? Great. Only want to do 3 years and get out? Great. Not everyone is concerned about the year of lost attending salary. To me, that is a huge huge loss, but that's me personally. Everyone has different values. To each their own.

Cool.

I don't wanna hear about PSLF or kvetching about loans from anyone who voluntarily goes to a 4 year program then.
Agreed, but I would argue the 3 year graduate with one year of clinical experience on their own is more desirable from a hiring standpoint. Being a pre-attending as a 4th year is not the same as getting out and doing EM on your own. I agree, straight out of the gate, a 4th year resident will likely be stronger than a 3rd year resident most times because an extra year of experience is an extra year of experience. But I still think 3 years + 1 as an attending is going to be stronger clinically at managing a department.

But in the end, people should do whatever fits their interests. 4 year program in your hometown you don't want to leave? Great. Only want to do 3 years and get out? Great. Not everyone is concerned about the year of lost attending salary. To me, that is a huge huge loss, but that's me personally. Everyone has different values. To each their own.

As someone who is currently in the final months of a 4 year residency program, I can state unequivocally that a 4 year program fits me better.

I think 3 years of clinical training to become an EM doc is adequate and enough to make you competent. I think for me personally, a 4th year made me better.

I did my first emergent pericardiocentesis early on in my fourth year. I'm sure there are residents who have completed this in a three year program. For me, I liked that I did it as a trainee and not as an attending. There are a handful of other skills that I fine tuned this year including nasotracheal intubation, ED thoracotomy, crichothyrotomy, etc that I liked doing in the department while taking care of actual patients, and not on a mannequin. Some of this is luck of the draw, maybe I was unlucky to not do it in my first three years, but I think I am better clinically for it.

As someone who is developing a research career, I did tons of research, published extensively, traveled to conferences, etc. I think in some ways, I got my research career off to a strong start. This is not a concern for everyone, but for me, it was beneficial.

I'm in a city that has a 3 year program and a 4 year program. The training experience at my 4 year program I'm at so vastly blows away the 3 year program, it's not even funny. I've had residents at the other program say, I wish I ranked your program above mine. This is unique to my city, I'm sure in other places the 3 year program is still outstanding.

I'm moonlighting a ton as a 4th year resident. The whole 3+1 argument vs 4 year straight out doesn't really hold much water to me because I feel like I am still getting solo attending experience.

Coming from a 4 year program, it's easier to get a job at an academic center that is also a 4 year program. If you are a 3 year graduate, they likely won't be excited about you supervising residents at a 4 year program. Now 3 years plus fellowship is a different story.

I in no shape or form want to disparage 3 year grads. Many of my mentors graduated from a 3 year program, and are better than some others who graduated from 4 year programs.

I've been criticized for "drinking the kool-aid" about 4 year programs in the past. Maybe that's true. But for me, a 4 year program definitely fit me better and I am glad that I went to one.

As someone who is currently in the final months of a 4 year residency program, I can state unequivocally that a 4 year program fits me better.

I think 3 years of clinical training to become an EM doc is adequate and enough to make you competent. I think for me personally, a 4th year made me better.

I did my first emergent pericardiocentesis early on in my fourth year. I'm sure there are residents who have completed this in a three year program. For me, I liked that I did it as a trainee and not as an attending. There are a handful of other skills that I fine tuned this year including nasotracheal intubation, ED thoracotomy, crichothyrotomy, etc that I liked doing in the department while taking care of actual patients, and not on a mannequin. Some of this is luck of the draw, maybe I was unlucky to not do it in my first three years, but I think I am better clinically for it.

As someone who is developing a research career, I did tons of research, published extensively, traveled to conferences, etc. I think in some ways, I got my research career off to a strong start. This is not a concern for everyone, but for me, it was beneficial.

I'm in a city that has a 3 year program and a 4 year program. The training experience at my 4 year program I'm at so vastly blows away the 3 year program, it's not even funny. I've had residents at the other program say, I wish I ranked your program above mine. This is unique to my city, I'm sure in other places the 3 year program is still outstanding.

I'm moonlighting a ton as a 4th year resident. The whole 3+1 argument vs 4 year straight out doesn't really hold much water to me because I feel like I am still getting solo attending experience.

Coming from a 4 year program, it's easier to get a job at an academic center that is also a 4 year program. If you are a 3 year graduate, they likely won't be excited about you supervising residents at a 4 year program. Now 3 years plus fellowship is a different story.

I in no shape or form want to disparage 3 year grads. Many of my mentors graduated from a 3 year program, and are better than some others who graduated from 4 year programs.

I've been criticized for "drinking the kool-aid" about 4 year programs in the past. Maybe that's true. But for me, a 4 year program definitely fit me better and I am glad that I went to one.
to each their own

The majority and current standard for EM training is 3 years

Meaning, if you complete 3 years you are prepared for attendinghood

obviously training longer for anything is gonna make you more prepared

I agree with a lot of what you said but for me the "400k dollar mistake" of losing a year of attending salary was yuge.

I think they do 5 years in Canada, would you do that? Is that better than 4 years?

Last edited:
I’m glad we are having the 3 year v 4 year program argument, again, for the twentieth year in a row.

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
I’m glad we are having the 3 year v 4 year program argument, again, for the twentieth year in a row.
It remains, combined with location, probably one of the most important and heavily weighted factors when choosing a program for most applicants. Despite all the extensive debate, I don't think there is a clear consensus on "which is better" which is why it is always brought up.

to each their own

The majority and current standard for EM training is 3 years

Meaning, if you complete 3 years you are prepared for attendinghood

obviously training longer for anything is gonna make you more prepared

I agree with a lot of what you said but for me the "400k dollar mistake" of losing a year of attending salary was yuge.

I think they do 5 years in Canada, would you do that? Is that better than 4 years?

I think there’s more people out there than you think who’d be willing to lose a year of attending salary to gain that training. Or to live in a city they love/have connections in.

Personally I’m among the crowd that, while I’d prefer 3 years, a 4 year with the right cocktail is a pretty attractive offer.

Yea, a lot of those are academic places that are historically known for favoring stats strongly - at least in my reading of Texas Star and such.

And geographically all over. Mix of NE, west coast, SW, Midwest, south, and texas - in no particular order.

But hey who knows. Maybe that person just has bomb ass sloes.

Completely okay for reach programs to overlook poor stats. It’s been done. But idc if he was the presidents son, I have a hard time believing his 10-14 ranks are top top academic powerhouses let alone his whole list. This is for sure fake.

Applicant Summary:
Board Scores: 220's/240's (USMLE)
EM Rotations: HP/HP
Med School Region: West Coast
Anything else that made you more competitive: International experience, spanish speaking

Main considerations in making this ROL: Closeness to family, accessibility of outdoors things, alumni network

1) UT- University of Utah Program
Pros: Close to family, unrivaled outdoors, really great group of young/engaging faculty, residents are happy and close, and super hard job market to get into if you don't train there. Longitudinal peds. Good exposure to academic and community EM. I like Salt Lake.

Cons: Less acuity than other places, though I feel like that stereotype is blown out of proportion. Shifts are 8s, but you usually stay several hours after tucking patients away (so shifts are usually like 10 hours). Also parking is the worst.

2) AZ- U of A Tucson
Pros: Basically the same as the rationale for Utah. Nicer ED than Utah, get to work closely with the Peds/EM folks, good sign-out culture, good moonlighting opportunities, residents happy, food stipend, free parking, cheap COL, great weather, good alumni network. Plenty of opportunities to use my spanish.

Cons: Meh city. And faculty were kind of off-putting in the interview, like they didn't interact with me with normal social skills. They would ask a question, and just stare, and provide zero form of feedback in language, body language, etc. Just a weird interview experience. But the residents were really normal so whatever.

3) NM- University of New Mexico School of Medicine
Pros: Again, similar type of program to Utah and Arizona. I just really liked the residents and faculty I interacted with. Cheap COL, good outdoors. A group of residents rent a cheap condo outside of Taos together, so when they go skiing they just share this condo, which was cool. Residency hours aren't overwhelming. Nice big hospital, so you don't have to travel between rotations. Residents get really good at taking care of sick sick patients.

Cons: Boarding patients is a big problem here (patients staying in the ED for a looooong time), but can't really be easily fixed, because the hospital doesn't have enough beds, so you don't really get the experience of a normal ED where you're moving the meat.

4) CA- Riverside
Pro: You can't really tell this is a new program (which is understandable, since the faculty are all veteran academic EPs from Loma Linda), meaning they come off as very organized. Free concierge service seems nice. Great PD, big on wellness. Apparently residents have a good reputation in the hospital. Lots of procedures. Residents seemed genuinely happy. Residents rarely stay late finishing up work. Free meals at hospital. Program is more of a county experience than a community one. Apparently this like the only HCA program that isn't bad? (and I liked their argument that HCA training helps you hit the ground running when you get a real job and you need to be efficient)

Cons: Haven't graduated a class yet (ie non-existent alumni network, though the HCA connection might help get jobs back home). Crappy EMR. HCA = can't moonlight outside of the hospital. Bad traffic.

5) FL- University of Florida (Gainesville)
Pros: Kind of surprised by this program. Nice hospital, sounds like plenty of sick people (though less hyperacute stuff like gunshots, cause most of these sick people are transfers). Residents seemed very normal and happy. I figure if I had to choose between a bunch of flat/boring places, I might as go somewhere warm (rather than in the midwest). Nice peds hospital with longitudinal training.

Cons: Gainseville, though the parts I saw seemed nice (though everyone keeps telling me it's the worst little city). People in the chat talking about how there's problems getting enough procedures. Far from family, might be hard to get a job back out west with that alumni network.

6) KS- University of Kansas
Pros: Close to family, really nice facilities. Lots of residents showed up to dinner, and they seemed happy overall.

Cons: Residents sounded overworked ("you get your own dragon! ...so can keep charting from home..."). Getting access to scribes your second year sounds nice, but again maybe indicates that they are too busy to get all their work done. Residents also talked about how it's nice to have so many resources, because then ortho can just come down and do all your splints for you (again, too busy?). Residents didn't make it sound like they get along well with other specialties. No one really moonlights (like 1 or 2 residents). Overall I like the Nebraska program more, but this one is in a better city and closer to family.

7) NE- University of Nebraska Medical Center Program
Pros: Really nice facilities (it pays to have Warren Buffet in your town. Things like the new sim center seem nice, but lets be real, that effects 0.005% of your day-to-day life). Faculty and staff seemed really organized and professional. Residents overall seemed happy. Pays well.

Cons: Omaha (I think it's telling when everyone says the highlight of the down is the zoo, which every major city has). Cold, flat, boring. I'm sure it's fine if you're into the midwest culture of "on the weekends we go to the bar and thats literally the only thing we do for fun". Kind of inbred faculty (all from Nebraska or KC). Peds is not longitudinal. No one moonlights. No free parking??

8) TX- Texas A&M College of Medicine-Scott and White Medical Center (Temple) Program
Pros: I really like this program. The PD is my favorite one I met on the trail. Such a cool, down-to-earth, no BS guy. The faculty are also really great. Hospital sees lots of acute and sick people. I really clicked well with the residents. This is a such a hidden gem of a residency, especially if you've got a family (you can live 5 minutes from work for cheap and never have any traffic. Sure makes a stressful time of life that much less stressful). Moonlighting here was also unreal, the highest pay of any place I interviewed (up to like $220+/hr). Plus it sets you up for very high-paying jobs in TX if you're interested in that.

Cons: The only reason it's so low on my list is because Temple as a single person would kind of be social suicide. Sure Austin is 45-60 minutes away, but that's still kind of a ways. Oh also you have to do a month of medicine at the VA??

9) LA- Louisiana State University Baton Rouge
Pros: Good big hospital. No ortho or trauma rotations (because you do it all as a resident). Decently nice facilities. Longitudinal peds.

Cons: Mostly just didn't click with anyone here. Lower salary, no food stipend (tho food is apparently abundant?). Kind of weird culture of being required to always wear white coats. Faculty seem kind of distant (always referring to them as Dr., etc. Very formal. Not quite what I expect from EM). Zero alumni network outside of the south. Baton Rouge just seemed so boring.

10) CA- Kaweah Delta (KDHCD)
Pros: Residents seemed really happy and felt like they get really good training, which is probably true. I guess decent access to outdoors (Yosemite, etc). Good weather, no traffic. Cool homeless and spanish/migrant worker experience.

Cons: Just kind of a weird vibe on interview day, hard to put my finger on it. They talk about how they always cater with home-made meals to make the residency feel more homey, which is fine, but they weren't very good and I feel like that was just an excuse to skimp. The place feels like the middle of no where. It's hard to travel home from Visalia (have to drive like 1+ hours to the nearest airport that will take you anywhere).

11) CA- St. Joseph's
Pros: It's stockton, so I guess there's plenty of low-income/sick people.

Cons: New program, haven't graduated anyone. I guess most of the trauma in the city gets diverted to a different hospital where you do your trauma month, so you see less trauma at the main hospital? Residents made it sound like that because it's a Level 3 (or something) hospital, you spend a good chunk of your day just coordinating transfers to San Francisco or Fresno. Residents were kind of weird.

Anything else to add?
I mostly went with gut feeling on a lot of these. I didn't have a fancy spreadsheet assigning points if a program has moonlighting, etc.

Programs you applied to:
Basically every program west of the Mississippi, and then a handful out east.

None lol, went to every interview I was offered.

All.

NA

like 39 programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.