*** 2019-2020 MD/PhD cycle - Questions, Comments, and other things ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I haven't uploaded anything that hasn't been specifically requested. There isn't anything in my CV or abstracts that hasn't already been covered in my application and multiple essays. Also, I don't really want to make them read through my 75-page thesis and I feel like if they really wanted to read a publication, they would google it. But I'm not the expert, so I'd love to hear what adcoms and former applicants think!

@Fencer @MSTPadvocate @Catalystik @Goro @gonnif

Could you please share your thoughts on uploading supplementary files to our MSTP secondary applications?

Members don't see this ad.

F
Here are policies for the schools on my list at least:

View attachment 271571
Please correct me if I'm wrong!
I believe you're correct for Harvard/Columbia, couldn't find the info to confirm on the Tri-I or Yale website. From NYU's website "We typically begin to evaluate MD/PhD applications in August and contact selected applicants for interviews on a rolling basis."

Reactions: 1 user
F

I believe you're correct for Harvard/Columbia, couldn't find the info to confirm on the Tri-I or Yale website. From NYU's website "We typically begin to evaluate MD/PhD applications in August and contact selected applicants for interviews on a rolling basis."

People from last year's cycle got offers from Yale between Feb 28 and March 15

Tri-I was all on December 10

Based on those tight date ranges I figured both were non-rolling

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I put my CV just because it has things like manuscript editing or language skills not listed in the primary or secondary.

Also most schools didn't ask for my list of publications and/or posters so I figured it wouldn't hurt if they wanted to see everything.

Here are policies for the schools on my list at least:

View attachment 271571
Please correct me if I'm wrong!

I think UCSF MSTP is not rolling, while the med school is rolling.

Also a few to add to this list:
UChicago - Rolling
UMich - Rolling
UMass - Rolling
Columbia - Not rolling
Northwestern - Rolling

Yale, UCLA and NYU are non rolling

I haven't uploaded anything that hasn't been specifically requested. There isn't anything in my CV or abstracts that hasn't already been covered in my application and multiple essays. Also, I don't really want to make them read through my 75-page thesis and I feel like if they really wanted to read a publication, they would google it. But I'm not the expert, so I'd love to hear what adcoms and former applicants think!

I wouldn’t upload the thesis. Pubs of course list them

People from last year's cycle got offers from Yale between Feb 28 and March 15

Tri-I was all on December 10

Based on those tight date ranges I figured both were non-rolling

There is a distinction to be made on when schools are evaluating applicants for interviews and when schools make acceptance decisions. For instance schools that are non-rolling in admission may be informally employing a rolling type process to give interviews. I work at a non-rolling admission MSTP where my PI is a member of the committee evaluating applicants. they will make final interview invites in december but those are for a handful of interview slots for many apps. in contrast, earlier applicants will be evaluated for more interview spots in september and october. so while for post-interview decisions you wouldn't be disadvantaged at non rolling institutions like HMS, Yale, or Tri-I, you may be disadvantaged in the larger bottle neck - getting an interview.

Ultimately it is hard to determine how best to prioritize secondaries. I would just say to work on them as they come and to be thoughtful in your approach to them. IMO it is better to take a couple extra days and to give more careful answers than to rush. Particularly at this stage when many programs will not begin formal evaluation of applicants just yet. Easier said than done as many of the prompts are challenging and to give a good answer may require some introspection. good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
PDs and current MD/PhD students, from your perspective, how many labs should we specifically mention in our secondaries for each school? For some schools I know that there is one lab that I have been following up for a while, consider a perfect match, and can write pages about. For others, I have multiple great matches. Are both approaches equally reasonable? What goes in the mind of PDs when reading apps? Thanks much!

-Medical AI

Generally the target is at least 3 to 5 research laboratories. Now, these are not just faculty members in the SOM or Graduate School, but active publishing (cross w PubMed), funded (cross w NIH Reporter), and training graduate students (look at lab pages), preferably MD/PhD students. If you name 5 people who are emeritus professors, we learned that you did not examine critically the faculty list.

Reactions: 4 users
How about if a school specifically says "name A faculty member you are interested in." I was hesitant to add more because they specifically said "a"

For UT - Houston MSTP:

I saw the secondary online but applied both MD only and MSTP. My secondary received via email (Complete 6/15) was the same as the one on their website, except for the "why MD/PhD?" question. Should I fill out the extra essay and send it in separately? They don't explicitly state to, but this is my top MSTP choice and I really don't want to screw anything up.

Members don't see this ad :)
For UT - Houston MSTP:

I saw the secondary online but applied both MD only and MSTP. My secondary received via email (Complete 6/15) was the same as the one on their website, except for the "why MD/PhD?" question. Should I fill out the extra essay and send it in separately? They don't explicitly state to, but this is my top MSTP choice and I really don't want to screw anything up.
Did they email you a secondary for MSTP? I'm applying OOS, only applied through AMCAS. Haven't received a secondary. Is it because we're supposed to just fill out the form from the link you sent without being invited to?

I figured you just had to fill out the online form and mailed it since you also have to mail payment.

Did they email you a secondary for MSTP? I'm applying OOS, only applied through AMCAS. Haven't received a secondary. Is it because we're supposed to just fill out the form from the link you sent without being invited to?

They emailed me a secondary for MD only because I applied through TMDSAS as well as AMCAS. If you only applied through AMCAS, use this website for the secondary. It looks like you need to print and mail it to them.

My undergrad HPEC will not send my rec letter until late August. Will some schools review my secondary without letters? If so, what are they? Also is there any point to turning in my secondaries now?

Can everyone please post secondary application prompts for MD-PhD programs?

So far I have secondary prompts from:

Boston University:
Please designate up to three (3) areas of interest, in order of preference.

List any research-related contact you may have had at Boston University. This may be working in a lab, or having contacted a faculty member about research opportunities

Please provide a statement detailing your interest in the MD-PhD program and how you envision it supporting your long term goals. In this statement, please describe your qualifications and the objectives of your educational program, report on your prior research activities, teaching experience, publications, research presentations, independent studies, and membership in academic, professional, or honorary societies. It is important that you detail your own role in the research activities you list. If this is covered in your AMCAS Personal Statement, type "See AMCAS Personal Statement". 4000 characters

Emory University
The MD/PhD Admissions Committee requires information about all of your significant research experience (8 weeks or longer). Please list below, IN CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER, all of your significant research projects. Be sure to include start/end dates, the name of your PI, the name of the institution, and a detailed description of your role in the project. Please use the following template to list your experiences (2000 words):

Dates (month/yyyy – month/yyyy):
Hours/week:
Supervisor (PI) Name and Title:
Organization Name:
City, State or Country:
Description:

Please enter ALL publications in CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER, with the most recent publications first, using citation format. (This should include materials that you reported on your AMCAS application and any new publications since that time.) (1000 words)

Indicate up to two graduate training programs you are interested in:

Please describe your interest in the research of THREE current Emory faculty. How does their research relate to your interests and goals as a physician scientist?

Cornell University
MD-PhD Prompts (all 1500 characters):

1) Please write a brief statement giving your reasons for applying to the Tri-Institutional MD-PhD Program.

2) Please describe a challenge you faced and how you addressed it.

3) If you are not attending college during the upcoming (2019-2020) academic year, what are your plans?

Can everyone please post secondary application prompts for MD-PhD programs?

So far I have secondary prompts from:

Boston University:
Please designate up to three (3) areas of interest, in order of preference.

List any research-related contact you may have had at Boston University. This may be working in a lab, or having contacted a faculty member about research opportunities

Please provide a statement detailing your interest in the MD-PhD program and how you envision it supporting your long term goals. In this statement, please describe your qualifications and the objectives of your educational program, report on your prior research activities, teaching experience, publications, research presentations, independent studies, and membership in academic, professional, or honorary societies. It is important that you detail your own role in the research activities you list. If this is covered in your AMCAS Personal Statement, type "See AMCAS Personal Statement". 4000 characters

Emory University
The MD/PhD Admissions Committee requires information about all of your significant research experience (8 weeks or longer). Please list below, IN CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER, all of your significant research projects. Be sure to include start/end dates, the name of your PI, the name of the institution, and a detailed description of your role in the project. Please use the following template to list your experiences (2000 words):

Dates (month/yyyy – month/yyyy):
Hours/week:
Supervisor (PI) Name and Title:
Organization Name:
City, State or Country:
Description:

Please enter ALL publications in CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER, with the most recent publications first, using citation format. (This should include materials that you reported on your AMCAS application and any new publications since that time.) (1000 words)

Indicate up to two graduate training programs you are interested in:

Please describe your interest in the research of THREE current Emory faculty. How does their research relate to your interests and goals as a physician scientist?

Cornell University
MD-PhD Prompts (all 1500 characters):

1) Please write a brief statement giving your reasons for applying to the Tri-Institutional MD-PhD Program.

2) Please describe a challenge you faced and how you addressed it.

3) If you are not attending college during the upcoming (2019-2020) academic year, what are your plans?

Just look at the school-specific threads. The vast majority of them have the prompts posted for both MD and MD-PhD.

Just look at the school-specific threads. The vast majority of them have the prompts posted for both MD and MD-PhD.
I have been watching the school-specific threads and many of them do not have the MD-PhD prompts posted. They often discuss the MD-PhD program, but do not have the prompts. I have only been able to find the MD-PhD prompts on a handful of the school-specific threads for the programs I am applying to. Specifically, I am still looking for the prompts for Duke, Wake Forest, University of Chicago, Dartmouth, UT Southwestern, Vanderbilt, and University of Virginia.

I have been watching the school-specific threads and many of them do not have the MD-PhD prompts posted. They often discuss the MD-PhD program, but do not have the prompts. I have only been able to find the MD-PhD prompts on a handful of the school-specific threads for the programs I am applying to. Specifically, I am still looking for the prompts for Duke, Wake Forest, University of Chicago, Dartmouth, UT Southwestern, Vanderbilt, and University of Virginia.
Go to this website: Medical School Secondary Essay Prompts Database - Prospective Doctor

I found most of the MD/PhD prompts here (a lot of schools just ask about which faculty you would want to work with and research interests)

Last edited:

I get the frustration. When I was pre-writing this year, I struggled to find prompts for some schools because in the school threads, they would sometimes not indicate whether the prompts were MD-only, whether the MD-PhD prompts were in addition to or separate from MD prompts, whether the MD-PhD prompts were the same as MD only, etc., so I had to message a couple people. In the 2015-2016 cycle, the MD-PhD applicants made a separate thread for the MD-PhD prompts which I think would be nice to do again. If people don't want to do that, we should just be more diligent about posting MD-PhD prompts in the school-specific threads or saying when the prompts are the same as MD-only (I've tried to do this but I'm only applying to so many schools lol). It's a small thing but I know I would have found it very helpful!

Also, the prompts for University of Chicago and Vanderbilt are the same as the MD ones posted in their respective threads.

Last edited:
I know it's best to submit secondaries, LORs, and the rest of your app around late July - early August for the best chances for interview spots, but do schools also consider how much time it took you to submit secondaries after you received them via email? Does a 3-week turnaround on secondaries look bad? Thanks!

I know it's best to submit secondaries, LORs, and the rest of your app around late July - early August for the best chances for interview spots, but do schools also consider how much time it took you to submit secondaries after you received them via email? Does a 3-week turnaround on secondaries look bad? Thanks!

If the school doesn't have a specific deadline I doubt it matters, sooner the better but you also don't want to submit something that could've been written a bit better.

The MD-PhD interview calendar has been posted for anyone interested! LINK HERE

Seems like not all schools have added their dates yet though.

• Love
The MD-PhD interview calendar has been posted for anyone interested! LINK HERE

Seems like not all schools have added their dates yet though.
I noticed Yale and Columbia missing, among others, but their dates are up on the respective program websites.

I know I'm being overly neurotic and freaking out, but as interview invitations have started going out from schools to which I've applied, I'm becoming increasingly worried that I have yet to be offered an interview. I know it is extremely early, but I'm having trouble rationalizing why someone else whose application was complete after mine would get an interview and I wouldn't unless I simply was less competitive than they were. Does this mean I've been passed over and won't get an interview invitation from them at all? Do I still have a chance for them to look at me again?

I know I'm being overly neurotic and freaking out, but as interview invitations have started going out from schools to which I've applied, I'm becoming increasingly worried that I have yet to be offered an interview. I know it is extremely early, but I'm having trouble rationalizing why someone else whose application was complete after mine would get an interview and I wouldn't unless I simply was less competitive than they were. Does this mean I've been passed over and won't get an interview invitation from them at all? Do I still have a chance for them to look at me again?

You'll probably get an interview. Some people just get earlier invites bcs of chance, stats, etc. Send in your updates and show continuing interest. Silence or being "passed over" is not the end of the line since the process is insanely long. I just got my app placed on "hold" by UW, which stings, but helps me empathize with where you are. It's too early in the cycle to waste energy fretting.

You'll probably get an interview. Some people just get earlier invites bcs of chance, stats, etc. Send in your updates and show continuing interest. Silence or being "passed over" is not the end of the line since the process is insanely long. I just got my app placed on "hold" by UW, which stings, but helps me empathize with where you are. It's too early in the cycle to waste energy fretting.

Were you able to tell that your application was placed on hold by looking at the secondary application portal? My UW application says "A status update will be mailed to the address provided on your MSTP application." Does anyone know what this means? Have they just not sent it to me yet for whatever reason? Does this mean I am on hold? or not on hold?

Were you able to tell that your application was placed on hold by looking at the secondary application portal? My UW application says "A status update will be mailed to the address provided on your MSTP application." Does anyone know what this means? Have they just not sent it to me yet for whatever reason? Does this mean I am on hold? or not on hold?

I also got this message in the portal and received a rejection in the mail a week later. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I am not sure why they have to delay the sting by rejecting via snail mail, would’ve preferred to get the R in the portal.

Honestly, unless you are an absolute superstar (and maybe even then), this process is a total crapshoot. Several cycles ago, I was rejected from two of my top choices super early (like around now) and didn't get my first II until early September. I thought that I was in for a long year, but I ended up with 10+ IIs and several acceptances to top 20 programs. Especially on the MD/PhD side, you never know what certain schools are looking for; maybe they matriculated 3 students in neuroscience last cycle, so even if they love your application, they might decide to pass on you for some cancer bio applicants this year, for example. Don't lose hope!

I also got this message in the portal and received a rejection in the mail a week later. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I am not sure why they have to delay the sting by rejecting via snail mail, would’ve preferred to get the R in the portal.
that's alright, I appreciate your transparency!

I got an email directly saying I have a hold.

Tri-I R just now. Looks like they got a ton of new apps this year. Anyone know why?

Tri-I R just now. Looks like they got a ton of new apps this year. Anyone know why?

From what I've seen, they've been doing a LOT more outreach and are more open to people with lower stats than most other top-ranked MSTPs.

Last edited:
They state a 25% increase in apps, up to over 500 for 18 spots (I would know, also took the early L this morning haha). For the rest of y'all who got the news today, I wouldn't stress about the earliness of it too much. I received an NYU II last week so I think it's ultimately just a bit of a crapshoot at these schools :)

Do we have an MD/PhD rejections thread? There was one last year, which was helpful to gauge whether schools are reviewing apps.

It is far too early to panic. There are only 16 MD-PhD interview invites representing 8 schools listed on SDN today. In the end, around 50% of the 1,800 MD-PhD applicants will report at least one interview invite. My program will not send out any invites until after a committee meeting next week. You're at the quarter mile mark of a marathon. Set realistic expectations and try to relax a bit.

Reactions: 13 users
It is far too early to panic. There are only 16 MD-PhD interview invites representing 8 schools listed on SDN today. In the end, around 50% of the 1,800 MD-PhD applicants will report at least one interview invite. My program will not send out any invites until after a committee meeting next week. You're at the quarter mile mark of a marathon. Set realistic expectations and try to relax a bit.

Thank you for the reassurance. It really does help a lot of people to hear this straight.

anyone heard from the University of Minnesota MSTP?

I got an email from them on 8/6 saying they received my primary application and LORs, are in the process of a preliminary screening, and will give selected applicants a link to their secondary (no fee). Haven't heard anything since then.

congratulations! did you have letters submitted? my HPEC is delaying my letters so I wonder if that's the reason I didn't get a secondary yet

I got the secondary. They sent me an email before the supplemental email saying my letters were received and that my application was entering a preliminary screening so I guess that means you need your letters to be in to be screened for a secondary.

So according to the information in this thread, particularly posts #17 and #24, if you're shooting for the notion that "on-time" completion is by Labor day, then a good number of programs already have >50% of IIs sent out before you're even complete? That seems to me then that anything later than August 1 would be late.

Let's be real... right now is barely 50% of verified applications. Apps submitted today will be part of the 3rd quartile of applications, verifying by Sept. 15. Indeed, for some programs, you are a bit late, but about half of the programs, they haven't started the process of reviewing applications. Submit primary applications ASAP, get your transcripts sent to AMCAS, and your LORs too. As long as you submit secondaries within 2-3 weeks from receiving them, you will be fine.

Last edited: