*** 2019-2020 MD/PhD cycle - Questions, Comments, and other things ***

Jun 28, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
@eccequambonum I don't know if if there's a consolidated list, but for the schools I'm interviewing at most schools list the number of people they interview and at least the size of the class. So you can probably assume that slightly more people are accepted than the size of the class.

For example UW says they interview 60 people and their program size is like 10-12. So I'd guess like 15 get in aka 25%

You can also always check AMCAS for their stats. P sure there's a spreadsheet with each school and the size of their class for the last application cycle.

Silence_Water_Hope

2+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2016
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Is the MD-PhD Cycle generally faster than MD? That is, does SDN's Thanksgiving Rule (No IIs before thanksgiving -> Consider Reapplication) apply, or is the deadline faster?

Jul 21, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Is the MD-PhD Cycle generally faster than MD? That is, does SDN's Thanksgiving Rule (No IIs before thanksgiving -> Consider Reapplication) apply, or is the deadline faster?
I would think that the cycle is slower, as a lot of schools haven’t even started sending invites for MD PhD yet.

May 15, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Even if the cycle is slower - if you have no IIs by Thanksgiving...you should be concerned

Fencer

MSTP Director
10+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2007
TEXAS (Eden)
Status
Attending Physician
By 09/15, you should be having about 2-3 invites. If you don't, you either selected too many late schools (some Ivies) or you do not have enough "true match" schools and must add at least 5-10 more. By Thanksgiving's day, you should be aiming for 6-8 invites. If you wait until then, it does not give you enough ability to adapt during the present cycle...

Reactions: mtoboggan and Lucca
Jul 2, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey guys! I'm looking for some feedback on MSTPs attitudes toward ITA emails. Are they generally in alignment with the MD program's policy? If not, are they generally less receptive to them? Bonus points if anyone has any specific insight for Einstein (I will be in NY for another interview and would love to incorporate this interview as well if they are interested in me as a candidate). This is particularly important to me as I'm nearing completion of a project and would love to condense my travels as much as possible so I can keep things moving in the lab. Thanks :)

OP
Lucca

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Staff member
Administrator
5+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2013
City of the Future
Status
Medical Student
@eccequambonum I don't know if if there's a consolidated list, but for the schools I'm interviewing at most schools list the number of people they interview and at least the size of the class. So you can probably assume that slightly more people are accepted than the size of the class.

For example UW says they interview 60 people and their program size is like 10-12. So I'd guess like 15 get in aka 25%

You can also always check AMCAS for their stats. P sure there's a spreadsheet with each school and the size of their class for the last application cycle.
admits to matriculants is usually about 2X so for a program like UW it would probably be more like 20 As for 10 spots, or 20/60 ~ 1/3. Id say that's fairly typical. Only a couple of programs have yields that are close to 100%.

Jun 8, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
admits to matriculants is usually about 2X so for a program like UW it would probably be more like 20 As for 10 spots, or 20/60 ~ 1/3. Id say that's fairly typical. Only a couple of programs have yields that are close to 100%.
Do you happen to know programs with high yield (close to 100%)?

May 24, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
can adcoms see which schools I've applied to with AMCAS. If so can the see which school's I've applied MD and which schools I've applied MD-PhD?

Seihai

The dog is always the real hero.
2+ Year Member
May 24, 2017
No, they can’t. They’d only know if you tell them.
The one exception (which is pretty commonsense) is if you apply MD and MD-PhD at the same school - they will likely know that you have applied to the other.

Apr 23, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Im having a problem- i need to turn down an interview bc A. I applied not knowing much about the program and I don’t actually have much interest and B. I have another interview im more interested in that i can only do on the day of the interview i want to cancel

How do i politely turn down an interview ive already said yes to but now have changed my mind?

May 28, 2019
Im having a problem- i need to turn down an interview bc A. I applied not knowing much about the program and I don’t actually have much interest and B. I have another interview im more interested in that i can only do on the day of the interview i want to cancel

How do i politely turn down an interview ive already said yes to but now have changed my mind?
IMO, just send an email as soon as possible so they have time to arrange for another interviewee to fill the spot. I don't think it's necessary to disclose precisely why you are turning the interview down. Simply state that you no longer wish to interview at the program, do not want to be considered further (or ask if they can reschedule the interview if you are still interested), and thank them for their consideration of your application.

Reactions: feather125

CaliforniaAsian

2+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2016
By 09/15, you should be having about 2-3 invites. If you don't, you either selected too many late schools (some Ivies) or you do not have enough "true match" schools and must add at least 5-10 more. By Thanksgiving's day, you should be aiming for 6-8 invites. If you wait until then, it does not give you enough ability to adapt during the present cycle...
And here I am with 0 interviews :(, though I only got my last letter of rec last week...

Aug 10, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
And here I am with 0 interviews :(, though I only got my last letter of rec last week...
I'm in the same boat! I got my last letter of rec 8/21 but submitted mostly in early August - still haven't heard anything (besides a couple Rs, lol).

My impression from the II thread (and hope) is that committees are still mostly working through the apps completed in July/early August.

Feb 16, 2019
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I'm in the same boat! I got my last letter of rec 8/21 but submitted mostly in early August - still haven't heard anything (besides a couple Rs, lol).

My impression from the II thread (and hope) is that committees are still mostly working through the apps completed in July/early August.

The concern on my end is that they give out the lions share of their interviews to the early side of the pile, making bar much higher for II for apps complete late Aug/early Sept

Fencer

MSTP Director
10+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2007
TEXAS (Eden)
Status
Attending Physician
Hi everyone. There is a benefit on completing early. For future applicants, take note. By mid-Sept., about half of the interview slots are already given. However, some programs are just beginning their process at this time. Overall, it takes 3-4 weeks (and up to 6 weeks) for programs to review applications and make an initial determination. In most places, all or the great majority of LORs and your secondary application are necessary to start the AdCom review. In many places, applicants are sorted into 3 or 4 boxes:
  • Invite to Interview
  • High Hold / Hold for re-review in a few weeks (looking to compare them to the late applicants)
  • Hold for MCAT re-take results (Sept. 4, 17, Oct. 1, 15)
  • Preliminary rejection
In some programs, all applications are reviewed, but in others only those above some benchmark cut-offs (for example: MCAT > 505 or Science GPA > 3.10). I personally read all applications to my program, but most places is a team effort. When I indicated that by mid-September (around Sept. 15-17), you should aim for 2-3 interviews, I am acknowledging that some successful applicants completed their secondaries in the last week of August and might be able to catch on after the 3-6 week AdCom review. What matters is scoring interviews. Success rate for interviews is between 10-40%. If you want to have 3 choices, you need 8-12 interviews. In the end, you only keep a single acceptance. Here is data from the past 2 cycles from successful MD/PhD matriculants with MD/PhD acceptances:
# of MD/PhD acceptances
1​
313​
302​
40%​
39%​
2​
156​
163​
20%​
21%​
3​
96​
113​
12%​
14%​
4​
76​
77​
10%​
10%​
5​
50​
46​
6%​
6%​
6​
36​
27​
5%​
3%​

May 10, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
What is the max number of interviews recommended? I never imagined being in this position, but I have 10 interviews already and can't schedule many more because of conflicts. I am thinking of dropping at least 2 schools that I am least interested in.

Fencer

MSTP Director
10+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2007
TEXAS (Eden)
Status
Attending Physician
I wouldn't schedule more than 12 interviews. If you are a stellar applicant, you might get 6 or more acceptances. I have known applicants who attended up to 18-20 interviews but it was useless for them as they truly lose track of programs, and unfortunately use the interview slots that might be helpful to others. With 8-10 MD/PhD interviews, you have almost complete statistical certainty that you will join the MD/PhD class (unless you make the same mistake presenting yourself in every interview). You should be learning from your interviews and typically perform better in the next one. I have seen people who are using an interview in my program clearly as practice, criticizing our city and/or program when meeting our students. That is a no-no.... Treat a program that is interviewing you as you would like to be treated by them.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2019
Does anyone know if sending in an application update (a pub was accepted) will bump your application down on the cue? I sent one in in late August. I was mostly complete mid-late July/early August and have only heard from three schools (1 R, 1 II, 1 hold)...womp womp womp

Jul 2, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Does anyone know if sending in an application update (a pub was accepted) will bump your application down on the cue? I sent one in in late August. I was mostly complete mid-late July/early August and have only heard from three schools (1 R, 1 II, 1 hold)...womp womp womp
I am by no means an expert (so anyone please correct me if I'm wrong), but I would be really surprised if it bumped your application down. The benefit of an update would be offset by being moved to the bottom of the pile, and would be a big disincentive for applicants to update schools, which wouldn't be good for either side.

Last edited:
Reactions: kepler16b
Aug 12, 2019
Status
MD/PhD Student
Hello,

Would programs view an applicant unfavorably if they request a different interview date? I received an interview today, but it is the day after another interview I have scheduled. I could make it to the interview, but I would arrive in the A.M. on interview day (6 hour flight and I would have to leave in the evening)

Thanks!

Jun 28, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Hello,

Would programs view an applicant unfavorably if they request a different interview date? I received an interview today, but it is the day after another interview I have scheduled. I could make it to the interview, but I would arrive in the A.M. on interview day (6 hour flight and I would have to leave in the evening)

Thanks!
I’ve had to reschedule almost every one of my interviews. You just ask for another date and they’ll usually give you one.

I usually check the published dates on their website or the dates on the MSTP Interview calendar and then send the dates I’m available in the email.

Maebea

15+ Year Member
Sep 10, 2003
East of Eden
Visit site
Status
I get annoyed when that happens. Whether correct or not, I read it as the applicants having less enthusiasm for my program. I will usually allow the reschedule, unless I feel that it will be difficult to fill the open slot due to time constraints. In those cases, rather than commit a future slot to an applicant who I think is less interested in my program, I will offer it to someone who seems to be more enthusiastic about interviewing here.