2019-2020 Postdoc Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is anyone willing to provide thoughts on the formal vs informal Postdoc options. I didn’t get an offer on UND and am regrouping and not sure what’s the “best” route to take.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone willing to provide thoughts on the formal vs informal Postdoc options. I didn’t get an offer on UND and am regrouping and not sure what’s the “best” route to take.

Sorry to hear it. Your track might be different from mine, so my advice is more general: I eventually secured an informal postdoc via Indeed by applying to jobs in which they offered supervision to doctoral level graduates (“informal” postdoc). I knew where I wanted to end up, so I just kept my eyes open for the right kind of job and eventually took my pick between two offers. I had posted a “job wanted” kind of message in a local psychology association listserv, but nothing materialized that way although I got a few emails from people looking for part-time postdocs.

In my experience, it doesn’t matter whether it’s informal vs. formal—as long as your internship/grad programs were APA accredited. My postdoc provided experience working with a new population, which I wouldn’t have gotten with the formal postdocs I interviewed for.

For your track more specifically, perhaps others can shed light on more specific ways to find job opportunities, etc. It doesn’t hurt to look into related professional or state psychological association listservs—some are free for postdoc-level practitioners.

Reactions: 1 users
What is the average number of post docs one should apply to? Specifically I plan on applying to formal post docs primarily consisting of forensic evaluation.

What is the average number of post docs one should apply to? Specifically I plan on applying to formal post docs primarily consisting of forensic evaluation.

Depends on the competitiveness/saturation of the region(s) applying, whether or not you’re “known” to the site/networking via training directors/programs, how many positions are offered at each site, etc.

I’d recommend 10-15 apps if from a super-saturated area and no connections plus high competitiveness of positions and limiting your area of search. If you have connections or apply to less competitive/saturated areas or cast a wider net geographically to capture some rural sites, maybe 5-10. It’s a wide range, but depends on individual circumstances. Connections are more important at this stage if you’re in a popular track, from what I experienced and saw amongst colleagues.

Depends on the competitiveness/saturation of the region(s) applying, whether or not you’re “known” to the site/networking via training directors/programs, how many positions are offered at each site, etc.

I’d recommend 10-15 apps if from a super-saturated area and no connections plus high competitiveness of positions and limiting your area of search. If you have connections or apply to less competitive/saturated areas or cast a wider net geographically to capture some rural sites, maybe 5-10. It’s a wide range, but depends on individual circumstances. Connections are more important at this stage if you’re in a popular track, from what I experienced and saw amongst colleagues.

Thank you. How does one network during internship year with other TDs?

Thank you. How does one network during internship year with other TDs?

A lot of TDs at sites in a region know each other if in the same track. I didn’t necessarily mean you network with them, but it sometimes matters how well connected your TD is to other postdoc sites to get an “in” for an interview if it’s competitive since their letter will carry more weight than a rec letter from a TD a site doesn’t know at all (if you have equally competitive apps, if the postdoc site knows the TD at your site, all other things being equal, it could be an advantage). This was specifically in the college counseling track on the west coast, which is highly saturated.

APPCN match was a success! :soexcited:Thank you to all for your ongoing support. And I hope everyone matched with their preferred site!

Reactions: 4 users
APPCN match was a success! :soexcited:Thank you to all for your ongoing support. And I hope everyone matched with their preferred site!
SAME! #nomorematch

Huge congrats to everyone who matched, and heaps of good luck for everyone still working on finding their spot. There seem to be a ton of great spots still open, and you're all rockstars so I have no doubt you'll end up where you're supposed to be.

Reactions: 4 users

Same and for those participating in future cycles, my APPCN Match email came at 8:02 AM EST.

Reactions: 3 users

Same!! Congrats everyone!! I believe my email came at 7:02 Central.

Reactions: 2 users