This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WithLove

xoxo
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
This has been a long emotional journey and I can't believe i'm writing this breakdown now. I took the DAT and I couldn’t be happier with my scores. I literally almost cried on my way home looking at my scores. First of all, I would like to thank Ari, Dr. Romano, and Shahed for creating such amazing resources! I wrote the DAT after studying for 4 months and these are the scores I received:

Scores
Biol: 22
Chem: 30
Orgo: 30
PAT: 27
RC: 20
QR: 20
TS: 27
AA: 24

Background:

I graduated earlier this year with a degree in neuroscience and minor in chemistry.

Materials I used:
1. DATDestroyer (9/10): For general chemistry and organic chemistry, nothing beats DATDestroyer. This is all you need since the destroyer book has every possible concept you might see on the DAT. Although there were some questions I thought were ridiculously tough, I don’t think I would’ve gotten the same score without DATDestroyer. My advice is to go through all of the questions in destroyer and make this your priority over finishing the DATBootcamp tests.

2. PATBooster (10/10): After using this for months, I have to say this is hands-down the best resource for the PAT (yes even better than bootcamps). I LOVED PATBooster, more people need to know about it. Their generators and tests gave me detailed feedback about the amount of time I spent on each question and feedback on how to improve. And over time, it tracked my progress for each section of the PAT that I completed and told me where to focus on. My only regret was that I found out about this resource mid-way during my preparation but nevertheless I'm happy I did. And the difficulty level was a bit higher compared to Bootcamp so it made me realize that there was still a lot to learn. Compared to the real DAT, I would say the difficulty level was very similar for all the sections. This is a must have for the PAT.

3. DATBootcamp (8/10): The practice tests for biology, general chem, and organic chemistry provided great practice material and the explanations for each question were very detailed and informative. I wasn’t a fan of their PAT or reading Academy videos since they were more obnoxious than helpful in my opinion but Dr. Mike’s videos were amazing. I also loved how I can mark which questions i don’t know and review them at the end. That being said, part of the reason why I liked DATBootcamp was because it was affordable but they recently raised their price to $497 from $347 which is insane. It used to be $247 last year and they keep raising the price without adding new features. I wouldn't recommend it anymore since DATDestroyer and PATBooster is more than enough. If you can afford an extra $499 for practice tests, then you could get DATBootcamp but honestly not recommended.

Breakdown
Biology (22)
: I started off going over Bootcamp’s biology notes but their notes had a ridiculous amount of information. By the time I almost finished reviewing the notes, I had a hard time remembering what I had reviewed in the earlier chapters. It got frustrating and so I switched to using the original Feralis Notes (80+ page notes) which were much more manageable. I went over the Feralis Notes 3 times before taking the bootcamp practice tests. While going through the practice tests, I always referred to the DATBootcamp Academy notes as a reference and continued reviewing up until a few days before my DAT. On bootcamp practice tests, I was scoring around 21-26. For future test takers, do not forget to spend time reviewing content because you'll find yourself forgetting a lot of information.

Chem (30) & Orgo (30): I’m a chemistry minor so I didn’t spend too much time preparing for the chemistry section. The only resource I used for general chem was DATDestroyer and then a few bootcamp practice tests. However, orgo was a different beast. Like most people, orgo was the one section that I dreaded. I practically slept with the DATDestroyer book and went over every question twice (tried going over it a third time but didn’t have enough time). For sections I needed more help, I watched either Mike’s Videos or Khan Academy videos. For future test takers, put your energy into completing all of the DATDestroyer questions over practice tests. This will make your life easier on the real DAT.

PAT (27): I have to say I really struggled with the PAT as I started out getting a 16 on my first practice test. I started out with DATBootcamp and later came across PATBooster. Its a new program that my study buddy was using and recommended it to me. I'm glad I did because it saved me and helped me to significantly improve my speed. For every practice test, it broke down exactly how much time I spent on each section and gave me feedback on how to improve. And I just loved their solutions since I didn't have to spend hours reviewing the tests whereas bootcamp it took too long. After exhausting PATBooster’s content, I finished off with the remaining DATBootcamp’s tests. Thanks to all the practice and PATBooster’s analyzers and generators, I was able to go from scoring 19 on the PAT to scoring 24-26 consistently.

Important: The 2019 DAT is NOT like DATBootcamp's PAT (Keyholes, TFE and Cube Counting are significantly tougher). Keep in mind, the actual PAT questions on DATBootcamp are old and have been the same since 2013 since they have never been updated. So don't be surprised if you find the questions on the real DAT to be tougher than DATBootcamp. The real DAT was more like PATBooster's practice tests since they were recently created.

Reading (20): This section kinda came naturally to me. I did a total of 4 practice tests on Bootcamp was scoring 24+ to start out. So I probably spent the least amount of time on this section. I didn’t really do anything else to be honest. I was skeptical of improving this section with practice anyway since it mostly comes down to the passages that you are given on exam day. So unfortunately, I can’t share much insight for this section.

QR (20): This section sucked because I forgot most of the math concepts I learned previously. I started off doing Math destroyer questions and once I was done, I moved on to Bootcamp practice tests. Every question I got wrong I would come back in a week to see if I could answer the question right. I made the mistake of not prioritizing this section when it came time closer to my DAT which sucks because AA could've been higher.

Overall thoughts
I would say each resource played their own crucial part in helping me achieve my scores. DAT Destroyer was essential for learning and expanding on the science foundations while PATBooster was unlike any other PAT program out there. Finally, DATBootcamp provided me with the extra practice tests that I needed. Overall, all three resources were highly representative of the real exam.

If you're taking the DAT, breath and take it one day at a time. Always practice under timed settings and treat the practice tests like the real DAT. The DAT is like a marathon and you have to train yourself to beat the marathon. And for the day of the test, get a good night's rest before the test and eat a nice breakfast. Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• My DAT Scores.png
    My DAT Scores.png
    524.7 KB · Views: 436
Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 21 users
Incredible! God-like chemistry and PAT lol.. So so happy for you and good luck with your application!

Reactions: 1 user
WOW you knocked it out of the park. Stellar job dude. I think a couple months ago you asked about patbooster and I bashed it (mainly because of the price) but you have proven me wrong. I'm sure a 27TS will open a lot of doors for you.

Congrats! I just bough PATbooster as well. Did you use exhaust PATbooster before you tried the PAT exams on bootcamp or before you attempted the full length exams on bootcamp? I was planning on practicing on booster and at the same time finishing destroyer and once I finish those two I thought I'd move onto the full length exams on bootcamp. Any ideas on how I should go about it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! I just bough PATbooster as well. Did you use exhaust PATbooster before you tried the PAT exams on bootcamp or before you attempted the full length exams on bootcamp? I was planning on practicing on booster and at the same time finishing destroyer and once I finish those two I thought I'd move onto the full length exams on bootcamp. Any ideas on how I should go about it?

I exhausted all of the PATBooster practice tests before returning to DATBootcamp's practice tests. But after taking the DAT, I would save the PATBooster tests for last since Bootcamp’s PAT wasn’t a good representation of how difficult real DAT is. The real DAT is significantly more difficult than DATBootcamp's PAT since there's a ton of rock keyholes, the cube counting section having as many as 7 cube counting figures with some figures having just 1 question, and the TFE section is very difficult, a lot like PATBooster.

So if I could go back knowing what I know now, I would have done the first 4 Bootcamp tests, then all 7 of PATBooster’s test and then finish off with Bootcamp practice test #5 at the end before the real DAT. I wouldn’t bother with Bootcamp tests 6-10 since they were copied and pasted from DATGenius (same guy who made the PAT academy videos) which were not that good. Definitely try to save the PATBooster practice tests for last, they were more representative of what you'll see all around.

I exhausted all of the PATBooster practice tests before returning to DATBootcamp's practice tests. But after taking the DAT, I would save the PATBooster tests for last since Bootcamp’s PAT wasn’t a good representation of how difficult real DAT is. The real DAT is significantly more difficult than DATBootcamp's PAT since there's a ton of rock keyholes, the cube counting section having as many as 7 cube counting figures with some figures having just 1 question, and the TFE section is very difficult, a lot like PATBooster.

So if I could go back knowing what I know now, I would have done the first 4 Bootcamp tests, then all 7 of PATBooster’s test and then finish off with Bootcamp practice test #5 at the end before the real DAT. I wouldn’t bother with Bootcamp tests 6-10 since they were copied and pasted from DATGenius (same guy who made the PAT academy videos) which were not that good. Definitely try to save the PATBooster practice tests for last, they were more representative of what you'll see all around.
Haha you must really not like the DATGenius guy. PATBooster now have videos too and they are concise and straight to the point. The bootcamp videos were helpful but I like getting straight to the point and saving time. I'll try the last 5 bootcamp tests just for science practice I guess. Thanks for the insight and I'll probably do it that way as well.

Congratulations! Those are killer scores, I inboxed you a few questions :)

WithLove, those are some seriously impressive scores. You are a force to be reckoned with. I'm glad my team was able to be part of your journey for prepping for the PAT and I thank you for the kind words. Wishing you all the best!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for writing this. Where did you get a copy of Feralis notes? My DAT is in a few days, do you think it'll be useful to use it for content review?

@WithLove Thank you so much for your awesome breakdown! I am getting a little bit concerned about PAT. I was hoping to take the test in about a month, but I am not sure if I will be ready. I am happy with my science scores, but not too pleased with reading, QR and PAT. My Bootcamp PAT scores are around 21-22, but after reading how much more difficult the 2019 DAT sounds I am kind of freaking out! I have been using PAT Booster for around two weeks, and took my second practice test today and scored a 22. My worst section is keyholes consistently... I was wondering, do you had any wisdom on this section since your score is so fantastic? I have been losing sleep ever since I read a girl got all rock keyholes for this section (Is that even possible?!). How did you approach these problems?

Hi
I wanna retake my DAT . Last year I registered for Bootcamp.
1) do you think is it good idea that i registered for bootcamp again ?
2) what should I do for my biology ?
bootcamp or destroyer which one is better for biology question?
3) feralis note is better or destroyer note ?
4) do you think bootcamp update their question bank ?
Thank you so much

@WithLove Thank you so much for your awesome breakdown! I am getting a little bit concerned about PAT. I was hoping to take the test in about a month, but I am not sure if I will be ready. I am happy with my science scores, but not too pleased with reading, QR and PAT. My Bootcamp PAT scores are around 21-22, but after reading how much more difficult the 2019 DAT sounds I am kind of freaking out! I have been using PAT Booster for around two weeks, and took my second practice test today and scored a 22. My worst section is keyholes consistently... I was wondering, do you had any wisdom on this section since your score is so fantastic? I have been losing sleep ever since I read a girl got all rock keyholes for this section (Is that even possible?!). How did you approach these problems?

If you're scoring 22 on the PATBooster practice tests you'll do fine, they are a lot more difficult than the Bootcamp questions. For keyholes, I used Booster's "compare and eliminate" technique and used their keyhole generator to practice daily for a few weeks. By the time I returned to Bootcamp practice tests, I was scoring close to perfect on the keyhole questions on bootcamp practice tests. I also don't think you'll get all rock keyholes so don't worry too much. Best of luck! xoxo

If you're scoring 22 on the PATBooster practice tests you'll do fine, they are a lot more difficult than the Bootcamp questions. For keyholes, I used Booster's "compare and eliminate" technique and used their keyhole generator to practice daily for a few weeks. By the time I returned to Bootcamp practice tests, I was scoring close to perfect on the keyhole questions on bootcamp practice tests. I also don't think you'll get all rock keyholes so don't worry too much. Best of luck! xoxo

Do you think DAT Booster is good for all of the part of PAT ? i want to choose B/w bootcamp and Booster
thanks

Do you think DAT Booster is good for all of the part of PAT ? i want to choose B/w bootcamp and Booster
thanks

I thought it was much better than DATBootcamp since it prepared me much better. But if you can afford both, get both since the more practice the better.

I thought it was much better than DATBootcamp since it prepared me much better. But if you can afford both, get both since the more practice the better.
Hi
Congratulations!!!
Can you please explain to me how did you exactly do the destroyer? I did it last time and when i took my test and got 22Bio 21GC 21Oc, but i am retaking soon and really need to bring up my scores. I answered all the questions last time and made flashcards. i just wanna know if you did anything that helped you get the 30s. i did watch the videos of mikes and chads as well, so im just looking to see how can i improve those 2 sections to help my AA.
Also, my reading score are extremely low, i struggle a lot with reading because it isn't my first language. Can you please tell what you did for RC as well because you mentioned that it was a thought subject for you, so i just wanna know if there's anything you did that helped you get 20, beside bc tests.
Again, Congratulations on those AWESOME scores :)

Hi
Congratulations!!!
Can you please explain to me how did you exactly do the destroyer? I did it last time and when i took my test and got 22Bio 21GC 21Oc, but i am retaking soon and really need to bring up my scores. I answered all the questions last time and made flashcards. i just wanna know if you did anything that helped you get the 30s. i did watch the videos of mikes and chads as well, so im just looking to see how can i improve those 2 sections to help my AA.
Also, my reading score are extremely low, i struggle a lot with reading because it isn't my first language. Can you please tell what you did for RC as well because you mentioned that it was a thought subject for you, so i just wanna know if there's anything you did that helped you get 20, beside bc tests.
Again, Congratulations on those AWESOME scores :)

I would start out by doing 50 questions each day until you finish the entire book. For any question you have a hard time with, try making notes and marking it so that you can come back to it again. For reading, this section kinda came naturally to me so I didn’t really do much to prepare for it to be honest. I think if you practice a lot you should be able to improve your scores. Also if you use bootcamp to practice, don't be scared if you get a low score, the real DAT is much easier than the bootcamp reading tests. Good luck!

I would start out by doing 50 questions each day until you finish the entire book. For any question you have a hard time with, try making notes and marking it so that you can come back to it again. For reading, this section kinda came naturally to me so I didn’t really do much to prepare for it to be honest. I think if you practice a lot you should be able to improve your scores. Also if you use bootcamp to practice, don't be scared if you get a low score, the real DAT is much easier than the bootcamp reading tests. Good luck!
Great advice ,WithLove , You truly understood how to tackle the Destroyer, you took it 50 questions at a time and your scores show it! Congrats again and thanks for still giving back to the SDN community! Below is what I posted the other day on reading.

"This is the advice I give all the time, just read! The goal is to increase reading speed and comprehension levels and this can be easily accomplished by old fashion reading. If you dedicate just 30 minutes a day to reading while preparing for the DAT that's a lot of reading accomplished over the course of your preparation. Make it a habit to read just before bed, not on a computer or phone but an actual book or magazine, it will also help fall asleep. Old school still works for certain things."

Just my 2 cents

Reactions: 3 users
By doing 50 questions a day of DAT Destroyer ( Bio, GC, OC ) how many days did it take for you to do
The entire book ?
Thanks

hey for the TFE section, any other tips or strategies you can share. That is the only section on the PAT I truly struggle on and I am using the PAT booster. Thank you.

Congratulations!! Especially for the PAT, Ive never seen a score that high! I'm taking my DAT soon and I'm using almost the same materials as you did to prepare for my DAT. I finished all of the PAT practice tests on PAT Booster and DAT Bootcamp and have enough time to redo some of them before my DAT. Which ones would you recommend redoing? Is the PAT on the real DAT more like Booster or Bootcamp? Thanks

If I have a limited amount of time, would you recommend Chad's videos or Mike's videos? And I'm debating whether I should redo all of the PATBooster practice tests the week before my DAT, any thoughts on this?

By doing 50 questions a day of DAT Destroyer ( Bio, GC, OC ) how many days did it take for you to do
The entire book ?
Thanks
It took me about 2.5 weeks to finish the book once.

@red175 I saved TFE last since I was struggling with it too once I noticed I spent too much time on the booster practice tests. I then figured out the types of TFE questions I struggled with the most and saved those for last. So for questions where the top view is missing, I would do those last. That's the strategy I used. Other than that I would keep going through the TFE compilation tests. It took a lot of practice but that was one area that was the toughest to improve. Try to watch some of Joel's videos too if you have access to Bootcamp, they were helpful.

@Progeny I would redo the Booster practice tests, they are more similar to the real DAT than Bootcamp's test.

@Mitochonria If you have Bootcamp already, do Mike's videos. They cover mostly everything you need and he's very entertaining. :)

It took me about 2.5 weeks to finish the book once.

@red175 I saved TFE last since I was struggling with it too once I noticed I spent too much time on the booster practice tests. I then figured out the types of TFE questions I struggled with the most and saved those for last. So for questions where the top view is missing, I would do those last. That's the strategy I used. Other than that I would keep going through the TFE compilation tests. It took a lot of practice but that was one area that was the toughest to improve. Try to watch some of Joel's videos too if you have access to Bootcamp, they were helpful.

@Progeny I would redo the Booster practice tests, they are more similar to the real DAT than Bootcamp's test.

@Mitochonria If you have Bootcamp already, do Mike's videos. They cover mostly everything you need and he's very entertaining. :)

thank you for insight, I appreciate it! Also when you did the PAT section, was there a specific strategy you followed? like did you do the easiest first?

thank you for insight, I appreciate it! Also when you did the PAT section, was there a specific strategy you followed? like did you do the easiest first?
I did the easiest ones first and saved the harder sections for last

Which ones did you save for last? And did you run out of time?

I saved Pattern folding and TFE for last. And I managed to get my timing down well on PATBooster so I finished with 5 minutes to spare.

I just wanted to thank you, your breakdown was huge to my success. Honestly would not have scored the same without it!!

Reactions: 2 users
I saved Pattern folding and TFE for last. And I managed to get my timing down well on PATBooster so I finished with 5 minutes to spare.
5 minutes to spare? that's incredible! When you were practicing on PATBooster did you finish early too?

Thanks for the post. Helps a lot!

I recently started to use DATbootcamp and across 4exams I've gotten a 19,19,19,20 (BIOLOGY). Should I be worried about this score and do I need to do more hard content review?
How did you pace yourself during the actual exam for the first section? I'm finishing the biology sections with just 1 or 2minutes left to spare.

Thanks for the post. Helps a lot!

I recently started to use DATbootcamp and across 4exams I've gotten a 19,19,19,20 (BIOLOGY). Should I be worried about this score and do I need to do more hard content review?
How did you pace yourself during the actual exam for the first section? I'm finishing the biology sections with just 1 or 2minutes left to spare.

No, honestly the DATBootcamp tests don't have much correlation to the real exam. As long as you're hovering about 19 you should be able to score 20+ on the real exam. Just to be safe, I would still do more content review. As for pacing myself, I didn't have much of an issue on the real exam (probably because the real exam is slightly easier) but I would say just keep practicing and as your knowledge expands, you'll be able to go faster.

No, honestly the DATBootcamp tests don't have much correlation to the real exam. As long as you're hovering about 19 you should be able to score 20+ on the real exam. Just to be safe, I would still do more content review. As for pacing myself, I didn't have much of an issue on the real exam (probably because the real exam is slightly easier) but I would say just keep practicing and as your knowledge expands, you'll be able to go faster.

To add to this, if you're going to do practice tests it might as well be after reviewing the content once to save you time. This way you won't miss any important topics.

@WithLove Im taking my test in three weeks and just found out pat booster. Do you think it would be worth it to purchase the subscription, would three weeks be enough to improve my scores? My most recent bootcamp exam I got a 19 on pat, but im getting a little stressed out since people are saying the pat is actually more difficult than on bootcamp.

ALso congrats on your scores, they're literally amazing :)

I
@WithLove Im taking my test in three weeks and just found out pat booster. Do you think it would be worth it to purchase the subscription, would three weeks be enough to improve my scores? My most recent bootcamp exam I got a 19 on pat, but im getting a little stressed out since people are saying the pat is actually more difficult than on bootcamp.

ALso congrats on your scores, they're literally amazing :)
i think three weeks is enough time and would suggest PAT booster.

@Theslowsouthy Thanks, I just got it today and the explanations are a lot better! Also, do you think bootcamp gen chem seem to suffice for the actual DAT. Ive been doing pretty well in gen chem on the bootcamp practice tests and think I should focus on bio, orgo, and qr in destroyer but am on a time crunch.

@Theslowsouthy Thanks, I just got it today and the explanations are a lot better! Also, do you think bootcamp gen chem seem to suffice for the actual DAT. Ive been doing pretty well in gen chem on the bootcamp practice tests and think I should focus on bio, orgo, and qr in destroyer but am on a time crunch.

Between bootcamp and destroyer I think you’ll be set. Qvault is ok, I think it’s a bit more on the easy side but if you have money to spend and time to practice I would say go for it too