2019 MHA: Applied, Interviewed, Rejected, Attending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got the invitation as well. Did you get the 3 dates of 12/7 and two later dates in January? I don't know much else besides what they said in the email of it being 30-45 minutes. Which date did you choose? I couldn't make the December date so mine is 1/28.

I also have an interview at UNC scheduled for 1/18. Any
UNC interview went great. I was really impressed with the program and the interview process was pretty relaxed. Let me know if you have any questions about it

I have an interview with UNC coming up on 1/18! I have generally heard it is relaxed, like you said, but do you have any other tips for the interview?

Members don't see this ad.

I also have an interview at UNC scheduled for 1/18. Any

I have an interview with UNC coming up on 1/18! I have generally heard it is relaxed, like you said, but do you have any other tips for the interview?

Congrats on the interview. As far as tips I would say be relaxed and be able to articulate why you are there (why UNC, why healthcare, why administration, etc). Another big thing they focused on was teamwork. You may need to explain how you have worked in a team before and what your challenges and successes were while working in a team.

If you want to talk more about the UNC interview I'm happy to talk over the phone or email as well. Just send me a PM.

Hello, everyone! For those who have interviewed at Cornell, was it in-person or Skype? Does anyone know if there is a difference in consideration? I have a Skype interview on 1/10 and when I signed up it was under the heading "Priority Round." I am located in the Midwest so I am not sure if it is a Skype interview due to location or if there is a difference in the interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
School: University of Memphis
GPA: Overall 3.82 History major and minor in Management
GRE V(151) Q(144)
3 Recommendations from professors
Experience: Assistant manager at a convenience store. Traveled to Yemen where visited hospitals and I speak Arabic.
Applying: University of Memphis

Do you guys think I have a good chance?

Hello, everyone! For those who have interviewed at Cornell, was it in-person or Skype? Does anyone know if there is a difference in consideration? I have a Skype interview on 1/10 and when I signed up it was under the heading "Priority Round." I am located in the Midwest so I am not sure if it is a Skype interview due to location or if there is a difference in the interviews.

There is no difference between in person or skype interviews. However, if you applied before the Sloan Visit Day in October, and went to the visit day you could have done your interview then. Either way no matter the interview type, its good news, and is shows that Cornell has an interest in you. I did my interview in December and it went really well, Dr Carmalt was super nice, and most questions surrounded your experiences and goals. Let me know if you have any questions and good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
School: University of Memphis
GPA: Overall 3.82 History major and minor in Management
GRE V(151) Q(144)
3 Recommendations from professors
Experience: Assistant manager at a convenience store. Traveled to Yemen where visited hospitals and I speak Arabic.
Applying: University of Memphis

Do you guys think I have a good chance?

I'm not familiar with the program at Memphis, however the only weaker spot that might be of concern is your Quantitative GRE score. That being said, from what I've seen most programs take a holistic approach to reviewing applicants. If you have strong letters of recommendation and a solid personal statement that may help bridge that gap. I think the personal statement is the most important piece of any application and can help explain any deficiencies you feel might be a concern for those reviewing your application. If you can articulate your story (why you are interested in healthcare, managing people, and University of Memphis specifically) and maybe address the lower quantitative score and how you plan to overcome or how you have already overcome any quantitative struggles I think that would be advantageous.

Mine was in person with Dr. Carmalt, Brooke Hollis and Tony German. To piggy back off what socalhealth said - Mine was very conversational and casual. Just know why Cornell, why healthcare and how your experiences fit into this.

I'm not familiar with the program at Memphis, however the only weaker spot that might be of concern is your Quantitative GRE score. That being said, from what I've seen most programs take a holistic approach to reviewing applicants. If you have strong letters of recommendation and a solid personal statement that may help bridge that gap. I think the personal statement is the most important piece of any application and can help explain any deficiencies you feel might be a concern for those reviewing your application. If you can articulate your story (why you are interested in healthcare, managing people, and University of Memphis specifically) and maybe address the lower quantitative score and how you plan to overcome or how you have already overcome any quantitative struggles I think that would be advantageous.
The gre is just practice hopefully I can pull up the quantitative but U of M School of Public Health averages a 151 for verbal and 149 for quantitative. I already wrote my personal statement addressing everything you said except my gre because I haven’t taken it. Average gpa is between 3.1 to 3.4. I gave them 3 recommendation though they requested 2 because of Sophas minimum

Just got done with the Cornell interview. Got a little hammered on my low GPA, which was expected. Fairly standard questions about where you see yourself, what setting, what kind of internship would be best for you, strengths and weaknesses.

Not sure if I did enough to assuage her concerns about my past performance.

Apparently everyone will hear back on February 1st.

Mine was in person with Dr. Carmalt, Brooke Hollis and Tony German. To piggy back off what socalhealth said - Mine was very conversational and casual. Just know why Cornell, why healthcare and how your experiences fit into this.
Were you also given the Feb. 1st decision date? I am planning my other interviews and trying to prioritize.

Were you also given the Feb. 1st decision date? I am planning my other interviews and trying to prioritize.

No I was given a decision and accepted in October because I applied to the dual MHA/MBA program and the MBA had an 11/1 deadline to accept or reject the offer.

Undergrad School: Small Private College
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.17
Major/Minor: Biology, Public health minor
GRE: 152 Quant, 148 Verbal, 4 AWA
Experience/Research (please, be brief):
- Certified Phlebotomy Technician
- Certified in Nonprofit Program Management
- Intern at nonprofit that seeks to enhance, encourage, support, promote, and protect breastfeeding throughout the USA, by working to reduce the breastfeeding disparities among African American women, and to strengthen the health of their babies and families.
- Biomedical Research Science Tutor Counselor and Biotechnology Research Science Tutor Counselor (summer program with students I did 2 summers in a row with respective positions)
- President of on campus organization that serves the homeless population throughout the community
- Health Chair for National Association for the Advancement of Colored People
- Community Service Chair for on campus organization that represents the campus health center through community health sessions and educates students on campus and neighboring institutions about the importance of living healthy lifestyles and the prevention of STD/STIs and HIV/AIDS through workshops and events.
- Community Service Scholar in which I have served over 1,400 hours through since August 2015
- Minority women's health clinic volunteer
- Global Health Quest in Quito, Ecuador where I served 80 hours in an impoverished community hospital

Special factors:
- Public Health Experience
- Coming from undergrad
- Double Minority (African American and Woman)

Interested in: University of Michigan, Columbia, Boston University, Tulane, Emory, George Washington, George Mason, John's Hopkins, and UNC Chapel Hill
Applied: University of Michigan (MHSA), UAB (MSHA), Emory (MPH, Health Policy & Management)
Interview: University of Michigan (1/10), UAB (1/25), Emory (Pending)
Accepted: N/A
Rejected:N/A
Waitlisted:N/A

Members don't see this ad :)
Undergrad School: Small Private College
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.17
Major/Minor: Biology, Public health minor
GRE: 152 Quant, 148 Verbal, 4 AWA
Experience/Research (please, be brief):
- Certified Phlebotomy Technician
- Certified in Nonprofit Program Management
- Intern at nonprofit that seeks to enhance, encourage, support, promote, and protect breastfeeding throughout the USA, by working to reduce the breastfeeding disparities among African American women, and to strengthen the health of their babies and families.
- Biomedical Research Science Tutor Counselor and Biotechnology Research Science Tutor Counselor (summer program with students I did 2 summers in a row with respective positions)
- President of on campus organization that serves the homeless population throughout the community
- Health Chair for National Association for the Advancement of Colored People
- Community Service Chair for on campus organization that represents the campus health center through community health sessions and educates students on campus and neighboring institutions about the importance of living healthy lifestyles and the prevention of STD/STIs and HIV/AIDS through workshops and events.
- Community Service Scholar in which I have served over 1,400 hours through since August 2015
- Minority women's health clinic volunteer
- Global Health Quest in Quito, Ecuador where I served 80 hours in an impoverished community hospital

Special factors:
- Public Health Experience
- Coming from undergrad
- Double Minority (African American and Woman)

Interested in: University of Michigan, Columbia, Boston University, Tulane, Emory, George Washington, George Mason, John's Hopkins, and UNC Chapel Hill
Applied:
University of Michigan (MHSA), UAB (MSHA), Emory (MPH, Health Policy & Management)
Interview: University of Michigan (1/10), UAB (1/25), Emory (Pending)
Accepted: N/A
Rejected:N/A
Waitlisted:N/A
Congrats on your interviews! When did you submit your app and hear back from Michigan?

Yes, I got the same email with the same dates. I chose Dec 7th just because I don't know if I can handle the stress of waiting that long haha. I think I am going to ask who is interviewing me though. I'm going to read back through the previous years applicants to try and get some advice. I'll let you know how it goes though.

how did your interview go? What questions did they ask you? Any tips? I have my interview on 1/14 (monday :p) and trying to prep

how did your interview go? What questions did they ask you? Any tips? I have my interview on 1/14 (monday :p) and trying to prep

Congrats on the interview at UNC! Their program is really impressive and Chapel Hill is a beautiful city.

My interview went really well there. They sent an email the next day informing me that I had been accepted. It was a pretty relaxed interview. As far as questions they asked the standard "Why healthcare, why administration, why UNC?". I think they may have asked me one behavioral type question. Something like "Tell me about a time you had a challenge working with a team". I would just be prepared to answer all of those questions. Feel free to message me if you'd like more specifics.

Congrats on the interview at UNC! Their program is really impressive and Chapel Hill is a beautiful city.

My interview went really well there. They sent an email the next day informing me that I had been accepted. It was a pretty relaxed interview. As far as questions they asked the standard "Why healthcare, why administration, why UNC?". I think they may have asked me one behavioral type question. Something like "Tell me about a time you had a challenge working with a team". I would just be prepared to answer all of those questions. Feel free to message me if you'd like more specifics.

Thanks for the reply, man! I’m excited about this interview. I tried messaging you but keep getting an error. Did they ask any healthcare specific questions? Like current policies or trends in healthcare. Also, how did you prepare for the interview? I’ve been preparing and the process has been generally relaxed but now that I’m 2 days away from the interview some anxiety is settling in, haha.

School: University of Washington
GPA: 3.2/3.1
GRE: 155V, 161Q and 5 AWA
Major: Biology
Experience (professional or otherwise):
- 3 years as independent researcher in well known lab working with Parkinson's disease (several poster presentations)
- Worked for 1 year as a part time adviser in academic advising
- Publication in undergraduate journal
- Over 300 hours volunteering in the hospital (especially Emergency department)
- 50+ hours tutoring in schools in low-income neighborhoods and more than that in local community
- President, social outreach coordinator, and finance coordinator of campus organization that works with local healthcare groups to advocate for healthcare equality
- Board member of organization that works with senators and representatives to improve and pass healthcare bills
- 100+ hours shadowing physicians in clinics
- Speak 3 different languages

Special Factors: None

Applied: JHU, UW, University of South Carolina, Weber State, Seton Hall, UPitt, UIC
Interview: UW, USC, UPitt, UIC
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted: USC, UPitt, UIC, Seton Hall, UW, Weber State
Attending: UW-Seattle

Last edited:
Just finished interviews with Iowa, Minn and UNC.

If anyone has any questions hit me up.

Was your interview with UMinn pretty straight forward? I've heard they're super friendly and laid back, but I have mine tomorrow morning and I'm a little nervous!

Just interviewed with Carolina. I had my interview with Columbia too (in Dec) so if anyone wants tips or information on any of the two programs you can text me 9199495033

Just interviewed with Carolina. I had my interview with Columbia too (in Dec) so if anyone wants tips or information on any of the two programs you can text me 9199495033
Whoops I meant 9199495034

School: The Ohio State University (Spring 2019)
GPA Cumulative: 3.84
GRE: 155 Q 153 V 5.5 AWA
Major: Public Health Major
Experience (professional or otherwise):
-Healthcare Consulting Co-Op at a large firm
-Revenue cycle internship at large insurer
-Financial Services Intern at Hospital System focusing on Medicaid
-Study Abroad on Europe's Political Climate in Budapest, Hungary
-Undergrad Research on the Financial Health of Local Governments
-Volunteer at a local food garden for health disparities

Special Factors: Involvement in Fraternity and Greek Life

Applied: Rush (10/28), OSU (10/25), Cornell (11/26)
Interview: OSU (11/30) Rush (1/4) Cornell (1/7)

Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted: Rush, Ohio State, Cornell
Attending: Rush

I honestly think Rush University has a great program. It produces top placement outcomes with fellowships and top healthcare organizations. I also like Chicago because it is an awesome city with great music, food, and culture. Pretty relieved that the interview process is over though.

Last edited:
Offered admission at UNC! A little over a day turnaround from interviews.

Has anyone been accepted to Minnesota or know the turnaround time after the interview?

Has anyone been accepted to Minnesota or know the turnaround time after the interview?
I just had my interview today and they said we should know if we were admitted over the next couple of weeks after the adcom meeting. How do you think the interview went for you? I think it went pretty good, but you never know.

applying to Minnesota how long did it take from you submitting the application to being invited to interview?

applying to Minnesota how long did it take from you submitting the application to being invited to interview?
I submitted my application on November 5th and was invited to interview on November 30th, so it was almost a month for me

I just had my interview today and they said we should know if we were admitted over the next couple of weeks after the adcom meeting. How do you think the interview went for you? I think it went pretty good, but you never know.
I just had mine today too! I think it went pretty good, but I'm not sure. I'm anxious to hear back because I saw on the virtual fair today that they start sending out merit scholarships the last week of January!

Hello everyone! I have a few interviews coming up (Rush, OSU, SLU, ISU), since my first interview is next week I desperately need tips! What kind of questions can I expect (namely for Rush, my #1 choice) and what can I do to prepare? Thanks so much in advance :)

Hello everyone! I have a few interviews coming up (Rush, OSU, SLU, ISU), since my first interview is next week I desperately need tips! What kind of questions can I expect (namely for Rush, my #1 choice) and what can I do to prepare? Thanks so much in advance :)

Feel free to reach out to me, I will be attending Rush this fall

School: UMD College Park
GPA: Cumulative: 3.42/Major:3.5-3.6
GRE: 155V 160Q 4.5W
Major: Public Health Science (also took all of the premed class requirements)
Experience: 1 year experience working as a Medical Assistant, Summer internship doing marketing/research for a small biotech company, 6 months doing grant writing for a public health NGO in DC.
Special Factors: N/A

Applied: Columbia (11/27), GWU (12/09), Johns Hopkins (12/30), NYU (01/??)
Interview: Columbia (01/21), Hopkins (02/01)
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted: GWU (12/17), Columbia (01/28), Hopkins (02/04)
Attending: Hopkins

Last edited:
Congrats to all those accepted to Cornell!

I’m late in the application process, but am interviewing at Minnesota on the 31st. Is it just one interview open book or are there several interviews? Any other feedback?
Congrats on the interviews! I hope things go the way you want them to!

School: UMD College Park
GPA: Cumulative: 3.42/Major:3.5-3.6
GRE: 155V 160Q 4.5W
Major: Public Health Science (also took all of the premed class requirements)
Experience: 1 year experience working as a Medical Assistant, Summer internship doing marketing/research for a small biotech company, 6 months doing grant writing for a public health NGO in DC.
Special Factors: N/A

Applied: Columbia (11/27), GWU (12/09), Johns Hopkins (12/30), NYU (01/??)
Interview:
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted: GWU
Attending:

Still waiting to hear back from Hopkins and Columbia. Anyone know generally when we should expect to hear back from those programs about interviews/acceptance?

Columbia and Hopkins both can take a little time. For me last year when I applied it took about a month and a half. (I'm currently attending JHU's MHA program this year).

Anyone have any tips for the Michigan interview? Thanks in advance!

For those accepted to Cornell we have started a class of 2021 page on FB. Also, there is a prospective students page with current students if you want to ask questions and are still undecided.

For those of you that have interviewed for Columbia, were you interviewed by a current MHA student also?

Was your columbia interview with a current student?

Was your columbia interview with a current student?

I had my interview last year with them when I was applying like many of you. Columbia is different and they approach the interview process in an unique manner. All of their interviews are done by a 2nd year student.

Just invited to an interview at JHU! Anyone have any tips/interviewed with them yet?