2019 MHA: Applied, Interviewed, Rejected, Attending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm currently attending as a first year MHA student at Hopkins. I can't speak for U of M but if you'd like to ask a few questions feel free to pm me.

I know I wasn't the initial person who posted but I do have a few questions below. Any help or insights would be greatly appreciated! I have been offered a spot with JHU and am strongly leaning towards accepting, but I do have some outstanding interview opportunities with University of Minnesota, UNC, and UW-Seattle. If you would prefer to pm me your thoughts no problem.

1. How is the accelerated 11 month didactic? Is your day mainly overflowing with classes and relevant coursework? How many hours per day do you spend in class?
2. I plan on doing some research while at JHU, is it common for others in your cohort to be involved with health services (or any other kind) of research while at school?
3. Are you currently pursuing (or plan to pursue) any of the certificates? If so, when? I imagine it is difficult to do any more coursework during the didactic year.
4. How is the alumni network? Does the MHA program maintain contact and leverage the network effectively?
5. Do you feel like you know everyone in your cohort? Any good friends made?

If you have an opinion on the other schools that I have an interview with let me know. I am considering not attending some of the interviews but perhaps I should just go and see what the different programs have to offer.

Members don't see this ad.

I know I wasn't the initial person who posted but I do have a few questions below. Any help or insights would be greatly appreciated! I have been offered a spot with JHU and am strongly leaning towards accepting, but I do have some outstanding interview opportunities with University of Minnesota, UNC, and UW-Seattle. If you would prefer to pm me your thoughts no problem.

1. How is the accelerated 11 month didactic? Is your day mainly overflowing with classes and relevant coursework? How many hours per day do you spend in class?
2. I plan on doing some research while at JHU, is it common for others in your cohort to be involved with health services (or any other kind) of research while at school?
3. Are you currently pursuing (or plan to pursue) any of the certificates? If so, when? I imagine it is difficult to do any more coursework during the didactic year.
4. How is the alumni network? Does the MHA program maintain contact and leverage the network effectively?

If you have an opinion on the other schools that I have an interview with let me know. I am considering not attending some of the interviews but perhaps I should just go and see what the different programs have to offer.

I also have these same questions about JHU and would appreciate input from a current student!

I'll do my best to answer these questions however some warrant a more intimate answer that I don't think would be appropriate to mention for hundreds of people to see so if you feel you want to hear those as well please feel free to PM me. I've talked with many of the prospective individuals in this thread at one point or another via PM and a few over a phone call. I'd be happy to do either for you or mpeter.

First and foremost, if I'm not incorrect you have until April 15th to accept. If that is still the case, I wouldn't rush accepting and would weigh all options especially since you have interviews with some very well respected programs.

1. The accelerated program has it's ups and downs. It is pretty fast-paced but entirely manageable, we've still been able to go out on weekends and have fun. You just need to be cognizant and budget your time accordingly. Generally we have 4 terms the first year (8 week terms). Each term tends to have 5-7 classes. Out of those classes 1 or 2 are online so as far as physical class time goes you can spend 1-5 hours per day. It really just depends on what classes you have. One thing to note is during first term we had classes M-Th, this was because we have seminars Friday usually where organizations come and present themselves for potential residency opportunities for your 2nd year. During 2nd term we had classes M-F. However during this term (3rd) we only have classes Monday - Wednesday. The reason for this is because Thursdays - Fridays are reserved for out of state interviews for residency sites as well as group projects, consulting practicum etc. I think this may be the case with many programs but some classes you'll find highly useful, others you may question why on earth we have to take this class. You do get to offer your input at the end of term and they tailor it for the incoming class next year, I know the previous class before us had done that. Another thing I think that is important to keep in mind is because of the nature of the accelerated program you're really getting an broad overview of the topics and not an indepth understanding. To some, this can pose an issue because maybe that isn't the way you want to learn. If this is something you feel, then a 2 year program certainly has it's benefits. I know on some classes this was an issue for me because I felt I didn't really get the understanding I was looking to get but I've been told by 2nd year students that you get to hone your skills and gain a deeper understanding once you're in your residency so there are definitely pros and cons to the accelerated program.

2. There may be one person in our program doing additional work. It's not recommended unfortunately due to the nature of the program. Most don't pursue any research so if that is something you want to do then I would look more into it. That's not to say you can't do it, I'm sure if you spoke with the directors etc you may be able to find a way but you'd be pressing yourself thin in my opinion. I know someone that is currently a second year did research and he found ways to do it so it really is user preference. Some people can handle it, others can't.

3. I chose not to pursue certificates because I felt my class schedule was already fast paced and I didn't want additional stress. That's not to say others in my cohort haven't pursued certificates. I believe 4-5 out of the 25 are on par of completing a certificate. You take the certificate classes in conjunction with your normal terms. Some certificates may not work because of overlapping class times but the 4-5 in my cohort that did take up a certificate course have been able to do so. The nice thing is that a lot of classes are offered online so it is a possibility. Another possibility is if the certificate is offered online you can take some of those classes during your 2nd year (depending on credit amount).

4. I would say the alumni network is there if you need it. When we have potential residency sites come down for seminars, generally it's the 2nd year students doing their residency that also come so you are able to get familiar with them. I know if you are looking to go to a geographical location then you can reach out to the program directors and they can try to get you in touch with individuals from that program. This is a topic I'm willing to talk about over a PM or a phone call but won't publicly bring up specific details as I don't think it'd be appropriate to do so. So far, I haven't had or felt the need to utilize alumni network services so my opinion definitely is differently tailored.

5. I definitely know everyone in my cohort and talk to them when I see them in my classes or at events. While I may not be close friends with all I have definitely made 3-4 really close friends through the program and am glad I met them. I don't think this is something special though, any program you go to, you will encounter these same outcomes. Most programs are 25-50 people so due to the smaller size in your cohort compared to the MPH programs you develop a sense of closeness that you may not have in other degrees.

Hopefully this helps provide some insight and answers your questions. It's important to know and understand that this is all just my opinion and as we all know opinions are biased. As mentioned before, I'd be more than glad to speak about it in more detail over a PM or call. If you have other questions you can also post them here and I'll do my best to respond.

Best of luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't seen anything on a new ranking from US News for Health Management programs today. Anyone else seen/heard about an updated ranking?
Not sure, I have not seen anything either. Maybe it will be later this week, or will be announced at end of ACHE conference.

I'll do my best to answer these questions however some warrant a more intimate answer that I don't think would be appropriate to mention for hundreds of people to see so if you feel you want to hear those as well please feel free to PM me. I've talked with many of the prospective individuals in this thread at one point or another via PM and a few over a phone call. I'd be happy to do either for you or mpeter.

First and foremost, if I'm not incorrect you have until April 15th to accept. If that is still the case, I wouldn't rush accepting and would weigh all options especially since you have interviews with some very well respected programs.

1. The accelerated program has it's ups and downs. It is pretty fast-paced but entirely manageable, we've still been able to go out on weekends and have fun. You just need to be cognizant and budget your time accordingly. Generally we have 4 terms the first year (8 week terms). Each term tends to have 5-7 classes. Out of those classes 1 or 2 are online so as far as physical class time goes you can spend 1-5 hours per day. It really just depends on what classes you have. One thing to note is during first term we had classes M-Th, this was because we have seminars Friday usually where organizations come and present themselves for potential residency opportunities for your 2nd year. During 2nd term we had classes M-F. However during this term (3rd) we only have classes Monday - Wednesday. The reason for this is because Thursdays - Fridays are reserved for out of state interviews for residency sites as well as group projects, consulting practicum etc. I think this may be the case with many programs but some classes you'll find highly useful, others you may question why on earth we have to take this class. You do get to offer your input at the end of term and they tailor it for the incoming class next year, I know the previous class before us had done that. Another thing I think that is important to keep in mind is because of the nature of the accelerated program you're really getting an broad overview of the topics and not an indepth understanding. To some, this can pose an issue because maybe that isn't the way you want to learn. If this is something you feel, then a 2 year program certainly has it's benefits. I know on some classes this was an issue for me because I felt I didn't really get the understanding I was looking to get but I've been told by 2nd year students that you get to hone your skills and gain a deeper understanding once you're in your residency so there are definitely pros and cons to the accelerated program.

2. There may be one person in our program doing additional work. It's not recommended unfortunately due to the nature of the program. Most don't pursue any research so if that is something you want to do then I would look more into it. That's not to say you can't do it, I'm sure if you spoke with the directors etc you may be able to find a way but you'd be pressing yourself thin in my opinion. I know someone that is currently a second year did research and he found ways to do it so it really is user preference. Some people can handle it, others can't.

3. I chose not to pursue certificates because I felt my class schedule was already fast paced and I didn't want additional stress. That's not to say others in my cohort haven't pursued certificates. I believe 4-5 out of the 25 are on par of completing a certificate. You take the certificate classes in conjunction with your normal terms. Some certificates may not work because of overlapping class times but the 4-5 in my cohort that did take up a certificate course have been able to do so. The nice thing is that a lot of classes are offered online so it is a possibility. Another possibility is if the certificate is offered online you can take some of those classes during your 2nd year (depending on credit amount).

4. I would say the alumni network is there if you need it. When we have potential residency sites come down for seminars, generally it's the 2nd year students doing their residency that also come so you are able to get familiar with them. I know if you are looking to go to a geographical location then you can reach out to the program directors and they can try to get you in touch with individuals from that program. This is a topic I'm willing to talk about over a PM or a phone call but won't publicly bring up specific details as I don't think it'd be appropriate to do so. So far, I haven't had or felt the need to utilize alumni network services so my opinion definitely is differently tailored.

5. I definitely know everyone in my cohort and talk to them when I see them in my classes or at events. While I may not be close friends with all I have definitely made 3-4 really close friends through the program and am glad I met them. I don't think this is something special though, any program you go to, you will encounter these same outcomes. Most programs are 25-50 people so due to the smaller size in your cohort compared to the MPH programs you develop a sense of closeness that you may not have in other degrees.

Hopefully this helps provide some insight and answers your questions. It's important to know and understand that this is all just my opinion and as we all know opinions are biased. As mentioned before, I'd be more than glad to speak about it in more detail over a PM or call. If you have other questions you can also post them here and I'll do my best to respond.

Best of luck!

Thank you so much for an incredibly thorough response! I have lots more to think about :)

Reactions: 1 user
I was wondering if anyone has input on UMich vs. Johns Hopkins University:

UMich:
- Ranked 1
- Larger class size (~60-70)
- Two years in the classroom
- Bigger alumni network (I think? Because it's a bigger school)

JHU:
- Ranked 7
- Smaller class size (~25)
- One year in the classroom + one year of work, so it's accelerated and you graduate with a year of experience under your belt
- It also has the "name" because JHU is a huge name/brand in the medical world

I'm conflicted on what factors to weigh more/less so any input would be much appreciated! Thanks!!
Bloomberg School as a whole was just rated #1 School of Public Health also.

I was wondering if anyone has input on UMich vs. Johns Hopkins University:

UMich:
- Ranked 1
- Larger class size (~60-70)
- Two years in the classroom
- Bigger alumni network (I think? Because it's a bigger school)

JHU:
- Ranked 7
- Smaller class size (~25)
- One year in the classroom + one year of work, so it's accelerated and you graduate with a year of experience under your belt
- It also has the "name" because JHU is a huge name/brand in the medical world

I'm conflicted on what factors to weigh more/less so any input would be much appreciated! Thanks!!

Michigan just dropped down to 3. Totally biased but I would take living in the east coast all day than living in that state.

Best of luck!

Thank you for this info! I will be applying to MHA programs this fall and am now in the process of researching various schools. I have a friend who is in Cornell's MHA program and another friend who recently graduated from Minnesota's MHA program. I talked with both of them this weekend and got a lot of really useful info that I thought I'd share with you all.

Minnesota:
Pros:
-Amazing networking opportunities throughout the country
-Direct access to high level executives within the U. Minnesota health system
-Fantastic faculty with lots of applied learning experiences
-Cohesive and academically talented cohort of students (100% of students who apply for fellowships get fellowships)

Cons:
-Winters in Minneapolis are brutal
-School of public health is in an older building so the facilities leave something to be desired
-Less brand recognition

Cornell:
Pros:
-Pretty campus
-Ivy League reputation
-Most classes and faculty are good

Cons:
-Isolated location with long winters
-Very few networking opportunities in the surrounding area due to lack of a major health system in Ithaca
-Several students who wanted fellowships did not get them
-The school where the MHA program is located will be under construction for the next few years so classes are taken at random locations throughout campus
-A decent number of the MHA faculty are not great. Also, the program director is super nice but at times is a bit too involved with students' personal lives

I asked both of my friends if they would have gone to their respective schools if they had to do it all over again. My friend who went to Minnesota said most definitely. The only other program she would have considered is Hopkins because of brand name recognition and the unique format -- the second year is valuable work experience with full salary and benefits. My friend at Cornell said he would have chosen a different program. The lack of a university hospital is a major drawback and he has found his overall experience to be somewhat disappointing. He would have picked a school with a direct/local connection to a major university hospital and specifically named Columbia, Minnesota, and Hopkins.

Both of my friends said brand name/rankings are important but the US News MHA rankings are determined purely by surveys. They are far less objective than the US News medical school, business school, or undergrad rankings that take into account a very wide range of criteria.

Hope you find this helpful! :)

Reactions: 1 users
School: NC State
GPA: Cumulative and Major 3.4

Major: Biology
Experience (professional or otherwise): Clinical Supervisor
Special Factors:

Applied: GWU & GMU
Interview:GWU & GMU
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted: GWU
Attending: GWU

Hi Everyone. Late to post here but I am trying to decide where I should go. JHU or GW? JHU would be a little more expensive but does anyone think it is worth the extra $6,000?

Hello everyone! I am new here but would love to get some insight based on any experiences you have heard of or had yourself.

I applied for Columbia's MHA program by the priority deadline last December, and had an informal phone interview with a current student back in mid-January of this year. I have seen many get their admission decisions more than a month ago, but I haven't heard any updates from Columbia yet. I have called the admissions office twice during these last two months. The first time when the first round of admissions were released (upon which they told me I could probably receive my admissions decision by mid- to late- Feb). The second time I called (last week), I was told that decisions would be made by March 15th. Well March 15th has passed and still no decision :( I have emailed them already hoping for a more official answer but I'm so nervous since Columbia is my dream school. Can anyone tell me how their admission or rejection timeline looked?

Hello everyone! I am new here but would love to get some insight based on any experiences you have heard of or had yourself.

I applied for Columbia's MHA program by the priority deadline last December, and had an informal phone interview with a current student back in mid-January of this year. I have seen many get their admission decisions more than a month ago, but I haven't heard any updates from Columbia yet. I have called the admissions office twice during these last two months. The first time when the first round of admissions were released (upon which they told me I could probably receive my admissions decision by mid- to late- Feb). The second time I called (last week), I was told that decisions would be made by March 15th. Well March 15th has passed and still no decision :( I have emailed them already hoping for a more official answer but I'm so nervous since Columbia is my dream school. Can anyone tell me how their admission or rejection timeline looked?

Columbia from my recollection ( I was accepted last year), doesn't have a hard timeline, so what they told you is accurate for both instances. If you haven't been sent a rejection letter and if your portal hasn't shown a rejection notice then you are still being considered and I wouldn't worry too much. I would also call again today/tomorrow just to make sure there was no miscommunication being done.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, would really like some insight on the UIC MHA program if anyone has experience.
I am debating between UIC MHA or NYU MPA in Health Policy and Management. I like the structure of both programs but if anyone has any review/insights please share!

**UPDATE**
School: University of Texas at San Antonio
GPA: 3.34/3.64 Cumulative and Major
GRE: 151V(52%), 153Q(50%), 4.0 Writing
Major: Bachelor's in Business Management
Experience (professional or otherwise)
Certified Pharmacy Technician since 2015. Worked in retail and HIV specialty pharmacies. (Cert. and TX License still active)
Asst. Manager in private, single provider family practice clinic for 14 months.
Special Factors: LGBTQ, Student Member ACHE, PTCB Certified

Applied: Trinity University, Texas State University, University of the Incarnate Word
Interview: Trinity University (had 2 interviews, one Dec./one Jan.), Texas State University, University of the Incarnate Word
Waitlist: N/A
Rejected: N/A
Accepted: Trinity University, Texas State University, University of the Incarnate Word
Attending: Trinity University, class of 2021!

Can you please offer some insight as to what to expect for Trinity's interview? I'm interviewing next week and am a bit nervous as this is my first on-site interview! Thanks in advance!

School: Business School
GPA: Cumulative 3.55

Major: Business Administration
Experience (professional or otherwise): Mass General, Consulting

Applied: Cornell, BU, Columbia, JHU
Interview: Cornell, Columbia, JHU
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted: Cornell, BU, Columbia, JHU
Attending: so hard to decide and need some help!

Hi everyone! I've been watching this forum and finally get to post myself. I am torn between Columbia MHA and JHU MHA, and would love to get some insights on the pros and cons of each program! (career development? location? resources? classes? network?) Thanks so much!!!

School: Business School
GPA: Cumulative 3.55

Major: Business Administration
Experience (professional or otherwise): Mass General, Consulting

Applied: Cornell, BU, Columbia, JHU
Interview: Cornell, Columbia, JHU
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted: Cornell, BU, Columbia, JHU
Attending: so hard to decide and need some help!

Hi everyone! I've been watching this forum and finally get to post myself. I am torn between Columbia MHA and JHU MHA, and would love to get some insights on the pros and cons of each program! (career development? location? resources? classes? network?) Thanks so much!!!

If you look in the last 1-2 pages I've talked a bit about JHU's program, I'm also free to talk via PM or a phone call, feel free to reach out if you have any questions.

If you look in the last 1-2 pages I've talked a bit about JHU's program, I'm also free to talk via PM or a phone call, feel free to reach out if you have any questions.

Hi! Thanks so much for replying! Yes, I read all the threads, and your comments have been extremely helpful. My biggest concern with JHU is living and getting around in Baltimore. I wonder if you could recommend some safer areas and possibly names of some nicer apartments? Do JHSPH students all have cars? Would you highly recommend getting a car? (considering it might be safer to drive around than walking around)

Hi! Thanks so much for replying! Yes, I read all the threads, and your comments have been extremely helpful. My biggest concern with JHU is living and getting around in Baltimore. I wonder if you could recommend some safer areas and possibly names of some nicer apartments? Do JHSPH students all have cars? Would you highly recommend getting a car? (considering it might be safer to drive around than walking around)

Baltimore is like most other cities, has it's good areas and bad areas, you just have to ask around. There are a few places you can go such as Mt. Vernon, Fells Point, Fed Hill that have great apartments and are relatively safe. Also the students have a google doc list they send out to accepted students to show where each of us have lived this past year and what the rates were etc which definitely help.

I'd say 30% of us had cars, the rest didn't. There's buses you can take and some places you can walk to class from, depends how far away you live. And keep in mind even if you have a car you most likely won't be driving to classes etc since it's the city and parking isn't easy to find etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone have any insight into UAB's program? It's now ranked 1 and I'm beginning to consider it along with UMich and JHU.

Does anyone have any insight into UAB's program? It's now ranked 1 and I'm beginning to consider it along with UMich and JHU.

I don't have much insight to it but it definitely is a good program. The one thing I would say is don't focus too heavily on rankings, the rankings aren't the best thing to gauge a programs effectiveness. You also have to look at what you're wanting to get out of the program and which one fits that need. This is coming from experience from a first year student who is about to start his second year!

I'm not that familiar with the UAB program but I'm pretty sure I've heard it is a 3 year program with a fellowship during your 3rd year. So that would be good if you're set on hospital management, not as good if you're trying to do something else (i.e. Consulting). Also, do the opportunity cost of being out of the workforce for 3 years (though you will probably make a small salary that 3rd year.

Hello everyone
I have been accepted to Columbia Michigan and Cornell MHA degrees. Can someone guide me which is a better choice? I am primarily looking to go into administration in hospitals but I want to keep my options open

Hello everyone
I have been accepted to Columbia Michigan and Cornell MHA degrees. Can someone guide me which is a better choice? I am primarily looking to go into administration in hospitals but I want to keep my options open

Can't speak for Cornell but Columbia has relationships with consulting firms and I believe michigan does as well since you said you wanted to keep your options open.

But why does Mailman School not rank very high in US News. I guess that is the only factor keeping me from accepting Columbia

But why does Mailman School not rank very high in US News. I guess that is the only factor keeping me from accepting Columbia

That shouldn't be what keeps you from schools in my opinion. That ranking isn't a true science, it's biased and based on a lot of different factors that can be argued to be irrelevant or relevant (depending on who you ask).

What is more important is knowing what you are looking for and which universities offer that. You may want to do a little bit more research on the programs, what is special about those programs and are they what you are looking for? All 3 programs you listed are all great programs so get the ranking out of your head and focus on the other qualities they have.

Ultimately only you know what you are looking for and which program best fits that, we can only answer with limited knowledge of that so be wary to pick a school based only on what you heard from here. As always (this applies to everyone), I'm always here to help any way I can. Feel free to reach out via this thread or a PM.

I'm not that familiar with the UAB program but I'm pretty sure I've heard it is a 3 year program with a fellowship during your 3rd year. So that would be good if you're set on hospital management, not as good if you're trying to do something else (i.e. Consulting). Also, do the opportunity cost of being out of the workforce for 3 years (though you will probably make a small salary that 3rd year.

So I'm a first year student at UAB and will articulate why UAB is ranked number one. As an FYI, I was accepted into GWU, Cornell, UNC, UAB, and JHU all with scholarships totalling more than $100k between the 5 schools. I chose UAB over all of these schools for the following reasons:
  • The program has a required internship and residency along with a workforce program at UAB hospital where every first year student receives a paid part-time position with a department administrator. You will literally graduate with three amazing opportunities on your resume, all facilitated by the program.
  • To assist in the fellowship process, every fall UAB has the Preceptor's Conference where 45+ organizations will come to UAB for a three-day recruiting experience. More than 70% of UAB student fellowships typically come from this conference. This is attended by the likes of Mayo Clinic, Intermountain, Connecticut Children's, Nicklaus Childrens, Wellstar, etc. Top flight systems from all across the country.
    • As an aside in the fellowship process, every student will receive a fellowship. Some students struggled a bit, but still ended up at Baylor Scott and White, Wellstar, and Oschner in New Orleans. Pretty good fallbacks if you ask me.
  • The curriculum is focused on experiential learning. We take place in case studies, simulations, and hands-on, team-based projects in every class. Pure lectures or busy work are not really part of what we do here.
  • We have lunch and learns every Monday where we hear from hospital executives from across the country to discuss topics such as healthcare innovation, reimbursement changes, and general hospital operations management. These have been extremely valuable.
  • The UAB network is vast and very close knit. I am part of the 54th cohort go through the program, meaning that there are more than 1,500 alumni out there that are very willing to open their doors to help you.
  • Birmingham is a very healthcare focused city and we have the chance to tour the 5 hospitals within walking distance of the program. With some programs like Cornell, the sheer lack of access to large academic medical centers make it hard to get a feel for hospitals in general.
  • Our alumni go into all areas of healthcare; an increasing number are going into consulting, some have gone into ambulatory or clinical network operations, and some to the payer side. As a UAB alum, you will be in hot demand and have your choice of where to go.
  • UAB plans on you being successful and becoming a leader, not just a healthcare professional.
Coming to UAB has been the best move I could have made for my career and its clear why we are ranked number 1!

Reactions: 2 users

One of the things that turned me away from the Columbia program (and mentioned by other MHA students at other programs) and I believe it is factored into the rankings is the cost of attendance. It is significantly more than most of the other top MHA programs. If you're fine with that, I'm sure it will be a great choice.

Columbia is definitely expensive and is not especially generous with scholarships from what I understand.

Program cost is not a factor in the US News rankings. The ONLY factor is the results of one-question surveys that are distributed to academic institutions. Since these survey results are both subjective and volatile, the longevity of brand name recognition should be taken into account. The truth is that the exceptional reputations of “big name” schools such as Columbia, Cornell, and Hopkins have been solid for ages and will continue to “pop” on your resume for the remainder of your career.

I think it’s critical to consider location when evaluating programs. Isolated locales (e.g. Ithaca, Birmingham) will ultimately tend to have fewer networking connections across the country. The importance of this cannot be overstated, given that the primary purpose of seeking the MHA degree is the breadth of employment opportunities following graduation.

Last edited:
School: Northern Kentucky University (2017)
GPA: 3.2/3.3
GRE: V: 154 Q: 146
Major: Public Relations
Experience:
-Worked as an Optician for private practice ( 5 years)
-Volunteered at a hospital as patient liaison ( 6 months)
-Currently a program coordinator for a major hospital ( 1 month in, would have been there 10 months by the start of grad school)
Special Factors: N/A

Applied: OSU, MUSC, Xavier,
Interview:OSU, Xavier
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted:OSU, Xavier

Attending: OSU. Go Buckeyes!

Congrats on committing to OSU, I will also be starting there in the Fall!

I tried to message you, but I can't for some reason. I'd love to chat with you though, feel free to message me here!

Go Bucks!

Follow this format:

School:
GPA: Cumulative and Major
GRE:
Major:
Special Factors:

Applied:
Interview:
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted:
Attending:

-------------------------------------------

School: Wake Forest University (2015)
GPA: Cumulative and Major 3.2/3.2
GRE: 160 Quant, 155 Verbal
Major: Economics, Entrepreneurship minor
Experience (professional or otherwise): 2 Years as Sr. Financial/Operational Analyst at Optum, 1 year as Financial Analyst at Merrill Lynch
Special Factors: N/A

Applied: Cornell MBA/MHA, UNC, Johns Hopkins, Columbia (withdrew), Minnesota (withdrew), Michigan (withdrew)
Interview: Cornell 9/10, Johns Hopkins 10/22, UNC (Declined interview)
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted: Cornell MBA 10/18, Cornell MHA (verbal), Johns Hopkins 11/2
Attending: Cornell MBA/MHA
I'm interviewing with Cornell this week. Do you have any tips for the interview? Or a heads up on the questions they asked?

I'm super late to the game...
School: Texas
GPA: Cumulative and Major 3.4/3.4
GRE: 169V 165Q
Major: Healthcare Studies
2 Summers in a neuroscience and pharmacology lab, resulted in 1 publication
Executive leader of campus organization for two years
Volunteering at the office of a hospice org
Intern at local non-profit
Special Factors: Straight from undergrad, I submitted on the deadline for each program so I didn't expect much traction

Applied: GWU, Pitt, A&M, Trinity, UNTHSC, OSU, VCU, JHU, TX ST, Cornell
Interview: GWU (2/8) Pitt (1/31) OSU (3/1) VCU (2/22) MUSC (3/15) Trinity (3/28) A&M (declined) TX ST (declined), Hopkins (2/26), Cornell
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted: Pitt, GWU $, UNTHSC + $, VCU $, OSU $, MUSC, Hopkins, Cornell
Attending:
Yours is strangely similar to mine. I applied to UNT, TX state, a&m, Cornell, Columbia, Baylor mba in healthcare management.
What was the interview like with cornell? I have a Skype interview this week

I'm interviewing with Cornell this week. Do you have any tips for the interview? Or a heads up on the questions they asked?

It was a while ago, so don't remember the exact questions. But he is what I had shared earlier to another student -It was fine, very conversational and relaxed. I had one 30 min interview with the director of admissions and another 30 minute interview with the associate and executive directors. We talked about my experience, why Sloan, what I want to do after. Pretty standard stuff, no curveballs.

Thanks! I had the interview already. I think it went well. Eh so it's possible that I will have to do a second interview? I guess we will see!

Thanks! I had the interview already. I think it went well. Eh so it's possible that I will have to do a second interview? I guess we will see!
I think they'll just extend you an offer, waitlist, or deny. I don't think many grad schools do multiple rounds of interviews

Hello everyone! If some of you are still around it would be wonderful to know where you all ended up choosing since April 15th has passed. I'm very excited to see where the newest incoming class is situated!

Hope you all ended up getting to go where you wanted to! And as always I'm here if you ever need help or have questions so please don't hesitate to reach out!

Last edited:
Has anyone who has gotten into UMich heard back about financial aid at all?
I got in February 1st and heard back about financial aid including merit aid and loans at the end of February. I’m a current undergrad at Umich so it might’ve been quicker as I was already in the system but I would reach out if you don’t hear back soon!

I think they'll just extend you an offer, waitlist, or deny. I don't think many grad schools do multiple rounds of interviews
Woot going to cornell! I'm looking forward to seeing you this fall!!!

Hello everyone! If some of you are still around it would be wonderful to know where you all ended up choosing since April 15th has passed. I'm very excited to see where the newest incoming class is situated!

Hope you all ended up getting to go where you wanted to! And as always I'm here if you ever need help or have questions so please don't hesitate to reach out!

I will be attending the University of Southern California MHA program where I received a Full Tuition Scholarship. Though I had some great choices, after some long nights of reflection I decided that based on my personal goals, the financial help and the socal network, it was super hard for me to pass on the opportunity USC was giving me. Fight On!

I'm super late
School: Texas Southern University
GPA: 3.25
GRE/GMAT: Did not take it
Major: Health Administration
- Pharmacy Tech for 4+ years
- Alumni Director for student org
- Licensed Nursing Home Admin (I can practice as a nursing home admin if I choose to)
- Long term care internship exp.
Special Factors: Hosted an event for student org that was highly impressive

Applied: UAB (top choice, no GRE/GMAT requirement, newly ranked #1 per US News)
Interview: UAB
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted: UAB $
Attending: UAB

So I'm a first year student at UAB and will articulate why UAB is ranked number one. As an FYI, I was accepted into GWU, Cornell, UNC, UAB, and JHU all with scholarships totalling more than $100k between the 5 schools. I chose UAB over all of these schools for the following reasons:
  • The program has a required internship and residency along with a workforce program at UAB hospital where every first year student receives a paid part-time position with a department administrator. You will literally graduate with three amazing opportunities on your resume, all facilitated by the program.
  • To assist in the fellowship process, every fall UAB has the Preceptor's Conference where 45+ organizations will come to UAB for a three-day recruiting experience. More than 70% of UAB student fellowships typically come from this conference. This is attended by the likes of Mayo Clinic, Intermountain, Connecticut Children's, Nicklaus Childrens, Wellstar, etc. Top flight systems from all across the country.
    • As an aside in the fellowship process, every student will receive a fellowship. Some students struggled a bit, but still ended up at Baylor Scott and White, Wellstar, and Oschner in New Orleans. Pretty good fallbacks if you ask me.
  • The curriculum is focused on experiential learning. We take place in case studies, simulations, and hands-on, team-based projects in every class. Pure lectures or busy work are not really part of what we do here.
  • We have lunch and learns every Monday where we hear from hospital executives from across the country to discuss topics such as healthcare innovation, reimbursement changes, and general hospital operations management. These have been extremely valuable.
  • The UAB network is vast and very close knit. I am part of the 54th cohort go through the program, meaning that there are more than 1,500 alumni out there that are very willing to open their doors to help you.
  • Birmingham is a very healthcare focused city and we have the chance to tour the 5 hospitals within walking distance of the program. With some programs like Cornell, the sheer lack of access to large academic medical centers make it hard to get a feel for hospitals in general.
  • Our alumni go into all areas of healthcare; an increasing number are going into consulting, some have gone into ambulatory or clinical network operations, and some to the payer side. As a UAB alum, you will be in hot demand and have your choice of where to go.
  • UAB plans on you being successful and becoming a leader, not just a healthcare professional.
Coming to UAB has been the best move I could have made for my career and its clear why we are ranked number 1!

Will be attending this fall. I love reading posts like this because of the reassurance that I made the right/best decision. I'm constantly worrying about the cost and how much loans I'll have to take and how long it'll take for repayment, especially since i'm pursing the dual MSHA/MSHI degrees. I did receive a small scholarship (I'm very grateful for that as it came as a total shock) and applied for others.
I know I made the best choice, but it's the cost and ROI that's keeping me a bit worried.

Will be attending this fall. I love reading posts like this because of the reassurance that I made the right/best decision. I'm constantly worrying about the cost and how much loans I'll have to take and how long it'll take for repayment, especially since i'm pursing the dual MSHA/MSHI degrees. I did receive a small scholarship (I'm very grateful for that as it came as a total shock) and applied for others.
I know I made the best choice, but it's the cost and ROI that's keeping me a bit worried.
The cost and ROI are definitely factors to consider with any program but with UAB its one that I've felt very comfortable with. The residency requirement means that you'll leave school with a guaranteed paid position (which can't always be said for other programs) and be put into positions where your experience and knowledge will push you ahead in your career in an accelerated way. Feel free to DM me if you want to chat about it further!

Hi, I was wondering if youre able to talk more about the program? Perhaps we can set up a phone call? :)

Hello PursueHealthforall,

This is a super old thread, but I was wondering-What school did you end up choosing? I have UW and JHU as options as well. Let me know! Thanks :)

Hello everyone!
I’m a bit lost on which graduate school program I should choose. My top choices right now are University of Alabama at Birmingham, University of Minnesota, and University of Michigan. I’m also considering doing a dual degree with an MBA but not sure if it’s necessary given I want to go into an Administrative Fellowship or Consulting after.
If anyone could shed some light on what makes each program unique or if they are a current student there and what they like about the program that would be amazing!