2019 new grads: How has the job search been going for you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharmacy is a Scam

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
This is the year that many on this forum have predicted to be the “tipping point” for pharmacy. Curious to hear what you’ve experienced or heard your classmates experience in your job searches so far. What have your schools of pharmacy been telling you about the job market?

Members don't see this ad.

Well I guess we are doing well? Most of my friends are in residency, myself included. My friends who went retail are moving up quickly (some already got manager position). I know some still haven't found a job, but they have specific situations.

Reactions: 4 users
Well I guess we are doing well? Most of my friends are in residency, myself included. My friends who went retail are moving up quickly (some already got manager position). I know some still haven't found a job, but they have specific situations.

Just so you know, moving up in retail manager position doesn't really mean much. Many of my friends were offered PIC role a couple months into working because a lot of the older staffs didn't want the extra responsibilities just for a little pay bump.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Well residency is different from employment so I wouldn’t take too much away from that. On the other hand, you’ve made it to round 2 of the Hunger Games so I suppose I should give you props for that ;)

Reactions: 5 users
I know lots of pharmacists who are unemployed.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Well residency is different from employment so I wouldn’t take too much away from that. On the other hand, you’ve made it to round 2 of the Hunger Games so I suppose I should give you props for that ;)
Thanks, not easy and its definitely not a guaranteed job, but I am in a niche field (managed care). So hopefully that means I have a better chance (fingers crossed!).

Just so you know, moving up in retail manager position doesn't really mean much. Many of my friends were offered PIC role a couple months into working because a lot of the older staffs didn't want the extra responsibilities just for a little pay bump.
Ain't that the truth. I know a girl who graduated the same year I did, except she was full-time with a big chain... she was staff for years at a store right in her hometown, and then she was told that either she becomes PIC or she loses her staff position and goes to floating full-time. She opted for floating over PIC.

Thanks, not easy and its definitely not a guaranteed job, but I am in a niche field (managed care). So hopefully that means I have a better chance (fingers crossed!).
On one hand, managed care is a good niche. On the other hand, as far as I know, the real good positions in man. care don't become available all that often, and if you go on to become a low-level DUR grunt, you are subject to quotas and layoffs...

"promoted to manager positions" LoL, no one wants to be PIC and they usually make new grads do it cause no one else wants to.

I also don't consider residency as employed because you still have to search for a job next year.

Reactions: 8 users
I won't graduate until May 2020, but I've been in touch with a few c/o 2019 graduates over the last few months. Just the other day I talked to a guy who graduated last May from a very well-known pharmacy school who is still looking for his first pharmacist job. He applied to but was rejected by residency programs and has applied to retail and hospital job openings (literally every single hospital opening) posted for two states in the southeast. He received an invitation to interview for a single chain pharmacy position but was passed over in favor of an applicant with retail experience. He said most of his former classmates have had a similarly difficult time finding something, although he didn't get into specifics. He said that if he doesn't find something by March, he will consider applying to nursing programs (BSN).

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
In my 2019 class, 30 have gotten residencies. One of my classmates managed to get full time staffing at a hospital in Montgomery because he did 3 rotations at the site. One is still working with managed care company because he rotated at the site. Half of the people in my class floating for CVS and Walgreens. And Half of us are underemployed and or unemployed

Also, I do know some 2019 graduates from another school in the state of Alabama that are jumping ship from pharmacy and preparing for the MCAT.

A horror story is I know a 2018 graduate who could not find work for over a year from graduating.

In my 2019 class, 30 have gotten residencies. One of my classmates managed to get full time staffing at a hospital in Montgomery because he did 3 rotations at the site. One is still working with managed care company because he rotated at the site. Half of the people in my class floating for CVS and Walgreens. And Half of us are underemployed and or unemployed
That's pretty severe, half the class unemployed and underemployed. Even here in the Northeast I don't think it's quite that bad. Did you go to an established or a new school?

That's pretty severe, half the class unemployed and underemployed. Even here in the Northeast I don't think it's quite that bad. Did you go to an established or a new school?
You are telling me more than half your class is getting 40 hours a week? If not your under employed

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
I went to an established school in the state of Alabama. The other school I had posted about is also an established school, but they are private.

• Sad
Apply to Bakersfield!

I'm looking for some good staff pharmacists. Please apply! $$$ if you work with me. Here's my pay stub

Screenshot_20191206-131235.jpg

literally all my posts are trying to get people to work but everyone passes.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users

I don't want to post too many details publicly, but FWIW the school and graduates (50% of whom are either unemployed or underemployed) Rx1992 is referring to are located very close to where I'm from, and many of them have done rotations at the hospital I was an intern at. That's what I meant when I said before that even though I'm trying not to be negative, it's getting harder and harder to have a positive outlook when so few recent graduates have success stories to report (in terms of having been able to find a job).

Last edited:
"promoted to manager positions" LoL, no one wants to be PIC and they usually make new grads do it cause no one else wants to.

I also don't consider residency as employed because you still have to search for a job next year.

100% new grads have no idea the trap their walking into. If you like to manage failing operations and consider that a promotion.....go for it.

Reactions: 3 users
It's revolving doors now. as the market value for pharmacists drops they will keep turning over their current pharmacist stock to stay aligned with current market value. You cannot over-pay for help anymore. Thats why pharmacy is not a long term option. Have you ever heard a pharmacist working in corporate say they would be there 25-30 years , get a pension, and retire, settle down and raise a family in one location? not anymore.....those days are over now....

That is not unique to pharmacy.

Certainly not. Even among advanced degree holders. It's just that pharmacists have been spoiled for so long, reality hurts.

Yes I have to agree with this. One of my good buddies is a lawyer. He graduated 3 years ago but has not been practicing law in any way. However, just this month a position in the company opened up in their law department and he applied for it and was offered a job.

I have personally been applying my trade in a way that has made me a more attractive option to non-pharmacy related jobs. I even started logging shadowing hours with a nursing home administrator.

It is up to us, not the market, to seek out great opportunities. And if opportunity was a basketball, I’m going to make like Michael Jordan and slam that s*** directly into the hoop.

I refuse to allow Walgreens or CVS or determine my well being. If there was never again a pharmacy job available - well then in that case I would consider myself a highly educated individual with leadership skills that would make me valuable to all sorts of fields of work.

Last edited:
Apply here!

I'm looking for some good staff pharmacists. Please apply! $$$ if you work with me. Here's my pay stub

View attachment 288447

Dude you need to delete this post..

But damn dude - congrats on almost cracking 200k gross. You must work 50+ hours a week?

Last edited:
Apply here!

View attachment 288447

Oooof those cali taxes. My gross so far this year is 50k less than yours, but my net is only 9k less.

Dude you need to delete this post..

But damn dude - congrats on almost cracking 200k gross. You must work 50+ hours a week?

It says total hours worked 94.14. Must be that CA overtime, wonder if he skips lunch and gets that bonus too? Very impressive paycheck!

No, but im not wearing a paper hat and making ice cream sodas either am i?
It says total hours worked 94.14. Must be that CA overtime, wonder if he skips lunch and gets that bonus too? Very impressive paycheck!

Man the crosshairs on this guys back must be RED DOT SNIPER at this point...... there is someone on a rooftop somewhere just waiting. Why pay those wages when pharmacists now make so much less.....?

Apply here!

View attachment 288447

What is your hourly rate and how many hours a week would you say you work average? cuz at 40 hours/wk your talking like~ 95 an hour and that aint happening....anywhere....lol so whats the real deal?

The general consensus is that the PIC position isn't worth the small pay increase, but I disagree. There are numerous benefits on the side. As a PIC, you have the opportunity to turn an average store into a great store! The skies the limit and you can make the necessary changes and coaching(s) to make your team great. Got a poor performing tech? teach'em or get rid of 'em. Chronically late staff pharmacist? let'em know what's up. Too many charge backs? Start getting them day supply right and teach other staff members how to do it. There's a balance between being a douche and a leader, and for those who seek stability, being the one in charge may just be what the pharmacist ordered.

The general consensus is that the PIC position isn't worth the small pay increase, but I disagree. There are numerous benefits on the side. As a PIC, you have the opportunity to turn an average store into a great store! The skies the limit and you can make the necessary changes and coaching(s) to make your team great. Got a poor performing tech? teach'em or get rid of 'em. Chronically late staff pharmacist? let'em know what's up. Too many charge backs? Start getting them day supply right and teach other staff members how to do it. There's a balance between being a douche and a leader, and for those who seek stability, being the one in charge may just be what the pharmacist ordered.

Well a few years back, accepting a retail PIC job was by and large, for chumps. Nowadays (and even more so in the future), it is going to be the only way to have some semblance of job security and a full 40hrs guaranteed per week. It is the only reason why I took on a PIC job when I graduated.

Last edited:

Pharmacists are held to a high standard of accuracy, hold a ton of liability, and typically graduate with $200k+ in loans and spend an additional 4 years in higher education.

Only to be ordered around by someone with a GED or high school education.

Pharmacists get the worst of all worlds.

Pharmacists are held to a high standard of accuracy, hold a ton of liability, and typically graduate with $200k+ in loans and spend an additional 4 years in higher education.

Only to be ordered around by someone with a GED or high school education.

Pharmacists get the worst of all worlds.

I get it - there is an oversight which the main store has over pharmacy. But in the years that I managed pharmacy I never was in a position of subordination to the main store manager.

I looked at it differently, the store manager was there to keep me in check in a lot of ways, and I was there to keep him in check in a lot of ways also. We were accountable to each other. If he was screwing up in a way that would sink the ship, I could just as easily rat him out and have him held accountable. And he knew that - he knew I was not going to be walked all over and he knew I was not afraid (or unable) to develop the same relationships that he had.

This whole thing is a game of thrones. You have to be smart and develop a network of support. It’s all about who you know. Even though there may be main store oversight, I would rise above that in no time.

I think the better question to ask here would be, “why would you, as a professional, let some pimple popping, GED toting dillywanger out-manage you?” Have some grit and show that you have confidence in yourself, your team, and the decisions you make. Unfortunately there is not a lot of this, and a whole lot of defeatism in pharmacy.

Last edited:
...I think the better question to ask here would be, “why would you, as a professional, let some pimple popping, GED toting dillywanger out-manage you?” Have some grit and show that you have confidence in yourself, your team, and the decisions you make. Unfortunately there is not a lot of this, and a whole lot of defeatism in pharmacy.
I think stoichiometrist made a thread about a month ago in the pre pharmacy forum that showed everything that happened to him/her. It seemed really rough what he/she went through and it seems like he/she was just taking whatever chance he/she got to just get by even if it meant taking the short end of the straw(letting some retail store manager push him/her around). So for his/her case, I guess it was just take it or leave it. It was either his/her own personal experience or him/her being cheeky and making a thread about what everyone else is going to go through

Last edited:
I think stoichiometrist made a thread about a month ago in the pre pharmacy forum that showed everything that happened to him. It seemed really rough what he went through and it seems like he was just taking whatever chance he got to just get by even if it meant taking the short end of the straw(letting some retail store manager push him/her around). So for his case, I guess it was just take it or leave it. It was either his own personal experience or him being cheeky and making a thread about what everyone else is going to go through

My intention was not as a stab at Stoich. I appreciate his/her participation on this forum and I enjoy his/her posts. I suppose he/she brought up something that I had a more general comment about. I apologize about the pronoun explosion there - these days there are different expectations when it comes to the delivery of pronouns.

In general we should not be intimidated at all by store managers. We should be making mutually beneficial relationships with store managers. If that is not possible, it is up to us to use our brains to position ourselves in a way that puts us before them.

... I apologize about the pronoun explosion there - these days there are different expectations when it comes to the delivery of pronouns....
lol, I actually went back and edited my post to do exactly that.

Unfortunately there is not a lot of this, and a whole lot of defeatism in pharmacy.

I agree with this somewhat. I also think people just like to complain. Store managers are just people too and if someone has one that is overstepping it shouldn’t be hard to correct that.

Having said that I was never in a position where the store manger did my annual review. That would have been a weird dynamic for me. Even still the pharmacist and manager should be on the same team and I don’t think it would be hard to set boundaries for what the store manager can and cannot oversee in the pharmacy.

I guess my question would be why does the store manager think they need to manager the pharmacy? Is the store so perfect they have time to help me manage? Or is the pharmacy such a dumpster fire that they think they need to? If so, by all means, please manage this circus for me and I’ll just set back and let you handle it. ;)

I agree with this somewhat. I also think people just like to complain. Store managers are just people too and if someone has one that is overstepping it shouldn’t be hard to correct that.

Having said that I was never in a position where the store manger did my annual review. That would have been a weird dynamic for me. Even still the pharmacist and manager should be on the same team and I don’t think it would be hard to set boundaries for what the store manager can and cannot oversee in the pharmacy.

I guess my question would be why does the store manager think they need to manager the pharmacy? Is the store so perfect they have time to help me manage? Or is the pharmacy such a dumpster fire that they think they need to? If so, by all means, please manage this circus for me and I’ll just set back and let you handle it. ;)

I think that outfits like Walgreens put store managers in charge for a couple reasons.

1) it gives the corporation the opportunity to not manage the pharmacy in a separate division (district, regional, corporate management focused on pharmacy.). This cuts a huge amount of overhead.

2.) it does create a situation where the pharmacy team has a bit of direct supervision and perhaps the fear to perform. It makes it easy to crack the whip on pharmacy.

In my opinion it is disgusting the way that outfits like Walgreens manages the pharmacy - hence why I used them as a steppingstone into a much better job when I lost my job of almost 20 years.

But yes - I agree, managing the relationship, and setting boundaries, should not be hard. We are, in fact, professionals and communication should be something that we excel at.

Interestedly enough though - I still keep in touch often with both of the store managers that I worked with. Even the one that I quit on after just weeks of employment. The reason that we still communicate is that we enjoyed each other’s company. I understood that our relationship was mutually beneficial.

Last edited:
I never had problem with store managers in the past 20 years with 3 companies (many store managers.)They sometimes questioned a few things here and there but after explaining why I did it, they left me alone. We have to reach out and build a relationship with them then they will respect and help us when asked. After all, they depend on us for the sale and we depend on them for the profit. Together if we perform as a whole store, then we’ll see the bonus.

What is your hourly rate and how many hours a week would you say you work average? cuz at 40 hours/wk your talking like~ 95 an hour and that aint happening....anywhere....lol so whats the real deal?

I literally posted a link to the store where I work lol.

~71/hr and it's CA so there's ot. But as the other guy has said, California taxes eat you hard.

I literally posted a link to the store where I work lol.

~71/hr and it's CA so there's ot. But as the other guy has said, California taxes eat you hard.

Geeze your tempting me to go back to retail (not really though)... what is the catch? Is the area a problem spot?

You must be filling 500+ a day right?

Geeze your tempting me to go back to retail (not really though)... what is the catch? Is the area a problem spot?

If you account for Cali's tax and CoL, it's really not much different from the pay in other states... But if the OT is consistent, it could definitely help a lot

Central California is an impossible location to staff. We regularly have tons of open shifts. My store does high volume for sure but so does most stores in my district.

Central California is an impossible location to staff. We regularly have tons of open shifts. My store does high volume for sure but so does most stores in my district.
Which city and which company may I ask? I'll graduate in May from Roseman, Las Vegas and am looking to apply for a job in Central CA.
Thanks!

Apply here!

View attachment 288447
Oh I found the answers.
Back in August, a DM of CVS in Bakersfield left me a voicemail to call her back for an interview. I tried to call and LVM twice and also emailed her once but she never responded. I keep wondering why.

I saw the post and
"
Spanish Fluency as a requirement for Pharmacists
"

Which city and which company may I ask? I'll graduate in May from Roseman, Las Vegas and am looking to apply for a job in Central CA.
Thanks!

How's the job market in Las Vegas? Is it generally saturated like it is in pretty much all other cities? Also, do you specifically know what the hospital pharmacist job market is like and whether residency completion is a requirement for most positions?

Thanks

Oh I found the answers.
Back in August, a DM of CVS in Bakersfield left me a voicemail to call her back for an interview. I tried to call and LVM twice and also emailed her once but she never responded. I keep wondering why.

Did you apply for an intern position or a staff pharmacist position? If this was a pharmacist position, your chances may be slim considering you are graduating next year in May 2020 and have no set date on when you are planning to take the board exams...

Did you apply for an intern position or a staff pharmacist position? If this was a pharmacist position, your chances may be slim considering you are graduating next year in May 2020 and have no set date on when you are planning to take the board exams...
One of the managers in Vegas needed an intern. I went through all assessments and virtual job trial and met 3 DMs here in person. They said I had to apply for a pharmacist job in Bakersfield and be willing to work there after I graduate in May. If I get accepted, I will work as an intern in Vegas until May.

Spanish fluency might make sense as an unofficial requirement for south Florida or the Texas/NM/Arizona border... I don't see CVS mandating this for Monterey County

How's the job market in Las Vegas? Is it generally saturated like it is in pretty much all other cities? Also, do you specifically know what the hospital pharmacist job market is like and whether residency completion is a requirement for most positions?

Thanks
I work as an intern at Walgreens. A student of class of 2018 said they hired only 6 new grads from my school for entire Las Vegas area. They let the rest of their interns go. I don't know how many students of class of 2019 have been hired by Walgreens, but most of them that I know were let go in May 30, 2019. I did a rotation at Walgreens specialty last month, the manager there went to my school for a career fair and told me Walgreens is not hiring.
I focus on retail only, never pay attention to hospital or residency.

• Sad

Everyone wants to live in SoCal, or the Bay area. I hear places like Bakersfield are hot and ghetto.