2020-2021 Anesthesiology residency app cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

*MD_wannabe*

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys I haven't seen anything official posted about this so I wanted to start one.
If you are like me and can't decide between programs hopefully this helps. Unfortunately, I didn't take a lot of notes on my interviews and now I feel like I got all the programs mixed up and I am having the hardest time choosing between these great programs so if you can post or pm your notes, opinions, why or why not to choose a program over another, I would greatly appreciate it!
Here is the list of programs:
UCSF
Stanford
Brigham and Women's
Vanderbilt
UCLA
USC
UAb
UF
Cleveland Clinic

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys I haven't seen anything official posted about this so I wanted to start one.
If you are like me and can't decide between programs hopefully this helps. Unfortunately, I didn't take a lot of notes on my interviews and now I feel like I got all the programs mixed up and I am having the hardest time choosing between these great programs so if you can post or pm your notes, opinions, why or why not to choose a program over another, I would greatly appreciate it!
Here is the list of programs:
UCSF
Stanford
Brigham and Women's
Vanderbilt
UCLA
USC
UAb
UF
Cleveland Clinic
I don’t understand, every year people have lists like this, all over the country. Pick a place you want to love. Seems like it’s California from the list you provided, and then just go with your gut what you think the best program will be for you.

they all seem the same because anesthesia residencies all have the same requirements.

I don’t understand, every year people have lists like this, all over the country. Pick a place you want to love. Seems like it’s California from the list you provided, and then just go with your gut what you think the best program will be for you.

they all seem the same because anesthesia residencies all have the same requirements.
Honestly I liked Vandy the most believe it or not even tho I'm from Cali but I'm scared to rank it 1st and regret the whatifs afterwards, especially that I'll be giving up the top 4 ranked anesthesia programs in the country. It's esp harder this year to get a feel for these programs so what was your experience?

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll do great at any of those programs. It was also very hard for me to tease out the details between the 8 or 10 or so programs on my list. Ultimately, I chose the place that I thought would allow for the easiest way of life and lowest COL outside the hospital -- and the place where I could see my young family thriving. Also, I think I underestimated just how common it is to practice in the same area as you train. I did move > 800 miles away from my training program, but the vast majority of my co-residents stayed near my residency. Just keep the end goal in sight (ie where do you ultimately want to practice?). My $0.02; good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
People come from far away to top programs and go wherever they want after. Alumni networks can be impressive. You can’t go wrong with any of those programs above from a training standpoint. Go wherever you think gives you the best chance to thrive in life inside and out of work. If for you that’s skiing, beaches, nightlife, music scene, adult sports leagues, schools, extracurriculars for your kids, job market for the significant other, proximity to family, whatever. Some programs reputations have more of a bite to them. Personally, I was looking for a program where people seemed happy and not defensive. Anesthesia residency is kind of fun. There’s no reason to go somewhere that gives off tense vibes. Wasn’t trying to train myself to be argumentative.

I didn’t do a fellowship but it seemed to be advantageous for my coresidents having gone somewhere with a lot of great fellowships close by.

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly I liked Vandy the most believe it or not even tho I'm from Cali but I'm scared to rank it 1st and regret the whatifs afterwards, especially that I'll be giving up the top 4 ranked anesthesia programs in the country. It's esp harder this year to get a feel for these programs so what was your experience?

Go to Vandy if it gives you the best gut feeling. If your ITE scores are good enough you'll still be able to get whatever fellowship you want back west or in cali if that's where you eventually want to practice. I would highly recommend not going somewhere based solely on reputation, especially if you didn't like the people that much.

Reactions: 2 users
Let me tell you that very few people will care about where you trained. None of your patients will care. None of the surgeons will care. None of the staff will care.

Reactions: 3 users
Let me tell you that very few people will care about where you trained. None of your patients will care. None of the surgeons will care. None of the staff will care.
Can’t emphasize this enough. Nobody gives a god damn

Can’t emphasize this enough. Nobody gives a god damn

That’s just not true. Sure, being good, efficient, getting along, and being available are matters in the real world, but it is a lie to pretend like going to a top program doesn’t help immensely for fellowship or initial job placement.

That’s just not true. Sure, being good, efficient, getting along, and being available are matters in the real world, but it is a lie to pretend like going to a top program doesn’t help immensely for fellowship or initial job placement.
Nobody cares. Even “top” anesthesia programs have IMGS and DOs. If anything, where you went to med school matters more, i.e whether you are an US MD grad

Nobody cares. Even “top” anesthesia programs have IMGS and DOs. If anything, where you went to med school matters more, i.e whether you are an US MD grad

Those DOs and IMGs are exceptional candidates. I have friends from med school that didn’t match in fellowships and struggled getting interviews. This is not the case at the top schools. It’s just the way it is.

Those DOs and IMGs are exceptional candidates. I have friends from med school that didn’t match in fellowships and struggled getting interviews. This is not the case at the top schools. It’s just the way it is.

Right that's why all those Columbia grads didn't match cardiac that year while a bunch of DOs and IMGs did. Look, maybe these fairy tales make you feel better about yourself but really no one cares.

Right that's why all those Columbia grads didn't match cardiac that year while a bunch of DOs and IMGs did. Look, maybe these fairy tales make you feel better about yourself but really no one cares.

Cool anecdotal evidence bro. Still doesn’t change the fact that more competitive programs from undergrad through med school, residency, and fellowship are able to recruit better more accomplished talent every step of the way. You don’t need to go to a top place to become a good anesthesiologist but your delusional if you think the above isn’t inherently true.

Cool anecdotal evidence bro. Still doesn’t change the fact that more competitive programs from undergrad through med school, residency, and fellowship are able to recruit better more accomplished talent every step of the way. You don’t need to go to a top place to become a good anesthesiologist but your delusional if you think the above isn’t inherently true.

I think what people are alluding to is that once you are out in the real world practicing nobody cares. Your patients, colleagues, surgeons, OR staff, and hospital execs will not give a shlt where you trained. When all of these people can see in real time if you are good at your job or not, your entire CV becomes moot. The utility of an impressive CV that includes big name institutions and accomplishments is that it allows recruiters to better gauge how likely you are to be good at your job and they will be more inclined to take the gamble of hiring you in the first place. So it could be helpful in initially securing a more desirable job, especially at a prestigious academic institution. But once the job starts, 100% of the assessment by everyone around you from coworkers, to patients, to administrative bean counters is based on *if you are actually good at your job* and 0% on what your resume says.

Reactions: 2 users
Just rank based on gut feel.

If Vanderbilt feels like #1 then rank it there. I'm not even sure what "top 4" means, but Vanderbilt is plenty fancy and will get you anywhere you want to go. Actually every single place you mentioned will get you where you want to go. So don't overthink it. Go with your gut.

Reactions: 1 users
if there is solid training near where you want to settle, go there. if there is not solid training near where you want to work, either go to the powerhouse program in the region, or to a top program irrespective of location.

the interview rarely reflects reality, now probably less than ever with zoom interviews. if a program has a reputation, there is probably a reason for it.

in hindsight, I would have prioritized the people (program leadership, enthusiasm of attendings) I saw at an institution over the "program" itself.

Right, because you have peer reviewed evidence on your side. I can tell you that more competitive programs do not necessarily recruit "better more accomplished talent". In fact, academia is littered with people who are marginal at best as are "top places".