2020-2021 Application Cycle & COVID-19

Started by bfrost827
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bfrost827

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm not a traditional PT applicant. I've been out of undergrad for almost three years now and majored in Geology and Religion. I decided I wanted to apply to PT school in September 2019 and started taking pre-reqs in January (2 in spring, 2 in summer, 2 in fall). I was set to start getting observation hours in mid-March, but everything got cancelled due to COVID-19. I'm not trying to stress too much about it because there's nothing I can do, but I'm wondering if it'll be worth it to apply when applications open up? My cGPA is ~3.53, pGPA is ~3.68, and I haven't taken the GRE yet, but based on practice scores, I would be between 305-315. I don't currently have any observation hours. Having no observation hours would also mean I wouldn't have any letters of recommendation from physical therapists. Anyone else in a similar situation regarding hours/letters? Would I even be competitive enough this cycle or should I wait another year?
 
I'm not a traditional PT applicant. I've been out of undergrad for almost three years now and majored in Geology and Religion. I decided I wanted to apply to PT school in September 2019 and started taking pre-reqs in January (2 in spring, 2 in summer, 2 in fall). I was set to start getting observation hours in mid-March, but everything got cancelled due to COVID-19. I'm not trying to stress too much about it because there's nothing I can do, but I'm wondering if it'll be worth it to apply when applications open up? My cGPA is ~3.53, pGPA is ~3.68, and I haven't taken the GRE yet, but based on practice scores, I would be between 305-315. I don't currently have any observation hours. Having no observation hours would also mean I wouldn't have any letters of recommendation from physical therapists. Anyone else in a similar situation regarding hours/letters? Would I even be competitive enough this cycle or should I wait another year?
I can't speak on your observation hours and letters of recommendation but I've been out of undergrad for almost seven years now with a major that has nothing to do with PT. I took all of my pre-reqs within a year with both my cGPA and pGPA not even over a 3.30. I scored a 301 on the GRE. I didn't have an outstanding number of observation hours since I work two jobs and didn't have much time between and I just got accepted into two programs so I can tell you it is possible. You just have to be personable and be able to show schools what makes you unique from other applicants.
 
I'm not a traditional PT applicant. I've been out of undergrad for almost three years now and majored in Geology and Religion. I decided I wanted to apply to PT school in September 2019 and started taking pre-reqs in January (2 in spring, 2 in summer, 2 in fall). I was set to start getting observation hours in mid-March, but everything got cancelled due to COVID-19. I'm not trying to stress too much about it because there's nothing I can do, but I'm wondering if it'll be worth it to apply when applications open up? My cGPA is ~3.53, pGPA is ~3.68, and I haven't taken the GRE yet, but based on practice scores, I would be between 305-315. I don't currently have any observation hours. Having no observation hours would also mean I wouldn't have any letters of recommendation from physical therapists. Anyone else in a similar situation regarding hours/letters? Would I even be competitive enough this cycle or should I wait another year?

Hi! I'm a PT student (starting next month) and you're stats are definitely above mine - cGPa 3.34, pGPA 3.50 (estimate) and GRE a 303. I had observation hours in 4 sites totaling about 371 hours. So I would recommend you focus on getting some hours in a couple sites, rather than a ton of hours in one site. I know it's hard because of COVID-19 but hopefully as restrictions start letting up, there will be more opportunity. Try expanding your search too and be willing to commute for more hours. I had a cousin live with me and get hours at an old site I went to so he could apply to PTA program. So maybe if you have a potential site near a relative? Because hours are def important because we need good letters of rec as well. Message me if you have any questions.