2020-2021 Postdoc Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wow! What a stipend!

Cost of living is ridiculous in these areas but you can get by with that stipend. You’re probably looking at ~$2000 for a 1br but it’s a fun place to live.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Cost of living is ridiculous in these areas but you can get by with that stipend. You’re probably looking at ~$2000 for a 1br but it’s a fun place to live.
I figured! I saw a neuro site in San Francisco and the stipend was 37k. Not a typo on my part but perhaps on theirs. Needless to say, I did not apply lol.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Post-match, is it against the rules to tell a site that they are my top choice? Are there rules at this point? lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Post-match, is it against the rules to tell a site that they are my top choice? Are there rules at this point? lol
I don't think there are ANY rules at this point - anything goes! I say if you have a definite top favorite, you can let them know - at least that's what I would do.

I'm familiar with the San Diego VA, especially the FMHP/BHIP and the HBPC tracks. I'd highly recommend both! Supervisors are lovely. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me if you have any questions.

any word on how quickly sites will reach out as you apply?
I dont know if my experience is standard since I'm neuro but I didnt match last Wednesday. I reached out to a site and had a position the next day. This experience was similar for my peers who got positions before the weekend. So all in all pretty quickly.

After accepting a postdoc position, should we expect to receive a formal contract to sign?

Anyone here from Baltimore VA Neuro, Seattle VA Neuro, Memphis VA Neuro or the 2 Mount Sinai Neuro sites?
Stay far away from the Memphis VA. They violate ethics and lack any capacity for self-reflection. They are bad news.

I actually know some of the supervisors at the Memphis VA, and a few of my students have gone on to postdoc there in past years. They all have said good things about the place. A little more skewed to the neuro side, but they enjoyed their elective rotations as well.

As always, be wary of the newly created account that solely exists to bash one thing with hyperbolic claims.

-Site name: UCLA TIES for Families
-Track (if applicable): N/A
-Invite or rejection: Invite
-Date notified: 12/5
-How notified (mass email, personal email, phone): personal email
-Interview date: 1/14 or 1/17
-How are you coping? Wasn’t expecting a three day turnaround! Lots of deep breathing!
Hi. I applied for their program this year. Would you be willing to share your interview experience with them? Thanks!