2020-2021 Postdoc Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Gotcha. Yeah I asked a couple of my supervisors about whether or not they sites are required to let you know about your status and they said it’s up to them to let you know any info. However, if you don’t get any of those emails, it doesn’t necessarily reflect their level of interest in you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone heard from Mt. Sinai/St. Luke's Center for Intensive Treatment of Personality Disorders (New York City) OR Sheppard Pratt's Trauma Disorders Program (Baltimore, MD) regarding postdoc interviews?

Rejections starting to come in and it’s not a good vibe especially I sit in hotel rooms still in the interview process :shy: definitely a hard part about this process versus internship match. I wonder how customary that neuro email is like how many sites do that havent gotten one yet for neuro sites *big dramatic sigh*

Shaking it off and forging ahead! Good luck peoples!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For neuro sites NOT doing the match (like baltimore VA), do they have to inform of decisions prior to ranking/match day?

Ruminating has hit me hardcore.

There is a site that I want to match with so badly, I feel almost sick when I think about it. Even though I have had other interviews with truly great programs (and still some more interviews to come), I can't stop thinking about it. It was my top before the interview, and it blasted through the top into the stratosphere after the interview. I am hoping desperately to get an offer from a non-match site so that I can beg for a reciprocal offer.

1h7gle.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Ruminating has hit me hardcore.

There is a site that I want to match with so badly, I feel almost sick when I think about it. Even though I have had other interviews with truly great programs (and still some more interviews to come), I can't stop thinking about it. It was my top before the interview, and it blasted through the top into the stratosphere after the interview. I am hoping desperately to get an offer from a non-match site so that I can beg for a reciprocal offer.

1h7gle.jpg

Good luck, Action! I was just in a similar boat and my top site made a reciprocal offer. It’s a major relief not having to wait for the UND since I’m somewhat location limited. Rooting for you!

-Site name: Children's National Hospital
-Track (if applicable): Fellowship in Autism Spectrum Disorders
-Invite or rejection: Rejection
-Date notified: 2/7
-How notified (mass email, personal email, phone): Personal Email

For neuro sites NOT doing the match (like baltimore VA), do they have to inform of decisions prior to ranking/match day?

I don’t think they have to follow any specific rules, but they likely will notify before the match because one of the benefits of being non-match is that they can essentially swoop people up right after interviews.

I know for sure that Baltimore VA has already been sending out offers; however, I don’t know if both of their positions have been confirmed yet (one has been taken at this point).

Reactions: 1 user
I don’t think they have to follow any specific rules, but they likely will notify before the match because one of the benefits of being non-match is that they can essentially swoop people up right after interviews.

I know for sure that Baltimore VA has already been sending out offers; however, I don’t know if both of their positions have been confirmed yet (one has been taken at this point).

got it - thanks! super helpful. Could people maybe post when they hear about non-match sites that have notified? would ease the blow a little as choices wind down

got it - thanks! super helpful. Could people maybe post when they hear about non-match sites that have notified? would ease the blow a little as choices wind down
Tampa VA for neuro was supposed to have sent out their offer this past Friday

Members don't see this ad :)
Any advice on how to respond to this: “We are very interested in your application. You are competitive with our top applicants.” the APPCN policies don't seem to provide any guidance on how applicants can respond.

Any advice on how to respond to this: “We are very interested in your application. You are competitive with our top applicants.” the APPCN policies don't seem to provide any guidance on how applicants can respond.

You don't need to respond. Some sites send that to everyone in their top group. You can either not respond at all, or just respond with some easy "I really enjoyed the interview and learning more about your site, blah blah blah."

has any one heard anything about non match offers? dying over here..

Hot take: The match is way more favorable to applicants than is the UND. The UND favors the programs, especially those who choose not to abide by it.

Going from internship to postdoc I was kind of excited for the increased realism offered by the UND selection system (after so much school I'm ready for the real world). However, the match, with a couple of extreme exceptions, essentially guarantees the applicant gets their top choice from programs remaining after rejections.

Because the UND can put applicants in the position where they have to accept/reject lower ranked offers before knowing if they get, for example, their number 1 choice, they can lose out on #2 and #3 positions while waiting. Additionally, programs can snag higher ranked applicants they would not have gotten in the match via time pressure, both before and on UND, and forcing applicants to make decisions without perfect information.

My last statement is that I actually think the UND is quite well thought out on a theoretical and technical level. But on a practical one, especially with not all postdocs abiding, it carries weaknesses of both the match and free market without maintaining the same strengths; namely, applicant advantage. I also understand I'm not offering better alternatives as I'm not sure going back to the match is the answer, either.

Reactions: 8 users
Ok I'm just going to be annoying and straight up ask haha - does anyone know if both baltimore VA postions, bancroft, or michigan were filled for neuro? I feel like they were, but it will help me with my rankings for tomorrow. Thank you guys! Godspeed to you all.

Ok I'm just going to be annoying and straight up ask haha - does anyone know if both baltimore VA postions, bancroft, or michigan were filled for neuro? I feel like they were, but it will help me with my rankings for tomorrow. Thank you guys! Godspeed to you all.
I was supposed to interview with Bancroft yesterday but didnt. My best guess is that they havent but in general I would assume sites will shoot their shot before rankings.

I was supposed to interview with Bancroft yesterday but didnt. My best guess is that they havent but in general I would assume sites will shoot their shot before rankings.
thanks - I assumed so too, especially since if someone wants to drop out of match, they have to do it before the due date (which is tomorrow). So I'm not holding my breath, I just feel weird about the lack of notification

thanks - I assumed so too, especially since if someone wants to drop out of match, they have to do it before the due date (which is tomorrow). So I'm not holding my breath, I just feel weird about the lack of notification
I'm sure people will send them out. It's easier for them to get better applicants than if they wait.

Do programs have to show their rank lists to confirm that the applicants they offer reciprocal offers to are indeed their top applicants? I could see programs also worrying about missing out on applicants and accepting reciprocal offers from applicants that are high enough up on their list...

They do not have to show rank lists.

In anxious preparation for next week: all things Neuro Post-Match vacancies?? What are stories you've heard, how does it operate, is there usually good spots, etc. etc...

Matched to my #1 for neuropsych postdoc! It's over!!! Hoping neuro people are getting good news today :)

Reactions: 8 users
Congratulations to all who matched today!!

Matched Neuro! See y'all on the other side! Good luck UND folks!
:clap:

Reactions: 5 users
Did anyone hear back from Access Institute yesterday? Their notification date was yesterday and I didn't hear a peep :/ I'm assuming that's not a great sign.

Congrats to everyone that matched yesterday!

This is a question I should have asked probably weeks ago, and with roughly 30 mins to spare why not. Should people let sites roll over to voicemail to screen them better or pick them up as they come in? I am worried about some kind of issue with multiple calls coming at the same time and my phone freaking out or not doing what its suppose to.

Last edited:
I am worried about some kind of issue with multiple calls coming at the same time and my phone freaking out or not doing what its suppose to.

This is precisely what happened to me. Even with trying to keep a list of what area-codes were to where, and saving training director's phone numbers in my phone in advance, etc etc. It was awful. The lines got jammed, voicemails going back and forth.... ugh.

After accepting an offer, should we let other sites interviewed about that I’ve accepted another offer? Even when they didn’t contact me yet?

This is precisely what happened to me. Even with trying to keep a list of what area-codes were to where, and saving training director's phone numbers in my phone in advance, etc etc. It was awful. The lines got jammed, voicemails going back and forth.... ugh.
Glad I stuck to my voicemail plan!

WOW. There are some amazing places with available positions post-UND...

Having a dilemma and any advice would be helpful!

I scored a lot of great interviews but things didn't pan out as well as I thought in terms of offers (many of the sites didn't adhere to today's UND and have either made decisions or are still waiting a few weeks). I got one offer at a great site that's near a preferred geographic location, but it doesn't seem like the best fit. I asked to hold the offer until tomorrow, but would it be worth it to decline and see what comes up in the next few days/weeks?

Having a dilemma and any advice would be helpful!

I scored a lot of great interviews but things didn't pan out as well as I thought in terms of offers (many of the sites didn't adhere to today's UND and have either made decisions or are still waiting a few weeks). I got one offer at a great site that's near a preferred geographic location, but it doesn't seem like the best fit. I asked to hold the offer until tomorrow, but would it be worth it to decline and see what comes up in the next few days/weeks?
That is a tough spot to be in. Maybe ask yourself will the spot you were offered get you to where you want to be? That might help with some of the decision work. Your mention of "made decisions or waiting a few weeks" is that known or are you assuming? I would check if you don't know for sure. The other thing you could do is look at the UPPD and see what is open in the area you want and if there is a better fit maybe apply to it?

That is a tough spot to be in. Maybe ask yourself will the spot you were offered get you to where you want to be? That might help with some of the decision work. Your mention of "made decisions or waiting a few weeks" is that known or are you assuming? I would check if you don't know for sure. The other thing you could do is look at the UPPD and see what is open in the area you want and if there is a better fit maybe apply to it?

I got a rejection this morning from my top choice and they said it was due to my "timeline" and the number of competitive applicants. I also emailed another place on Friday and haven't gotten a response, so I'm assuming it's a rejection from them too.

The place I have an offer from was original my #goals, but my career interests have changed while I've been on internship and I was hoping for a position that has a specific type of treatment and population that isn't offered at that site.

I've been looking at the UPPD and I emailed one place already, but I'm just worried about ending up with nothing or a last minute, poor fit.

I got a rejection this morning from my top choice and they said it was due to my "timeline" and the number of competitive applicants. I also emailed another place on Friday and haven't gotten a response, so I'm assuming it's a rejection from them too.

The place I have an offer from was original my #goals, but my career interests have changed while I've been on internship and I was hoping for a position that has a specific type of treatment and population that isn't offered at that site.

I've been looking at the UPPD and I emailed one place already, but I'm just worried about ending up with nothing or a last minute, poor fit.

Ugh, so stressful. I am right there with you with the fear of ending up with nothing or getting something that just isn't a great fit, except I have zero offers. I'm not sure what I'm gonna do. I'm even considering applying to some geropsych postdocs (not sure I'd be competitive) because I can't seem to find any opportunities for neuropsych postdocs. WEEEEEE

WOW. There are some amazing places with available positions post-UND...
How do I see available positions? I get a message saying that there are no results when I click on this link.

I only interviewed for one Post-Doc position, and wasn't offered it today. Fine, I was lukewarm about it in the first place. That being said I am just REALLY struggling to figure out a direction to take, and what specialized training I really want going forward. If anyone has any specific advice on obtaining post-doctoral hours while working as a school psychologist, I'd really appreciate it, as I'm feeling quite lost about what is going to happen come the end of internship.

Hello,

For anyone still looking for a post-doc, please see info below regarding opportunities at Kaiser Permanente in Northern CA:

The Kaiser Permanente Mental Health Training Programs (Northern California) would like to announce that we have postdoctoral residency positions available at several of our clinics for the 2020-2021 training year. Our programs provide cutting-edge training within a large multidisciplinary healthcare system and aim to train the next generation of healthcare leaders in the healthcare model of the future. We currently have open positions in Behavioral Medicine, Adult Mental Health, Child & Family Mental Health, Chronic Pain, Addiction Medicine, and more. In addition to receiving cutting-edge clinical experience, residents receive extensive supervision and didactic training, comprehensive healthcare benefits, and one of the highest compensation packages of any residency program in the United States (over $60,000).

At this point in time, we have openings at the following medical centers across Kaiser Northern California:

· Oakland
· Richmond
· Vallejo
· Vacaville
· Santa Rosa
· San Rafael
· Santa Clara
· Walnut Creek
· Roseville
· San Jose
· San Francisco
· Redwood City
· Union City

*Be sure to check the APPIC UPPD for an updated list as this will change

For more information about the postdoctoral residency programs within Kaiser Permanente, please visit:
https://mentalhealthtraining-ncal.kaiserpermanente.org/postdoctoral-residency/

For an up-to-date listing of available residency positions within Kaiser, please visit the APPIC Universal Psychology Postdoctoral Directory:
https://www.appic.org/Postdocs/Universal-Psychology-Postdoctoral-Directory-UPPD . Enter “Kaiser” into the Program Name Search box, then under advanced search options, click on “Show only listings with unfilled positions.” This will then display for you an updated list of which Kaiser Permanente programs currently have openings.

I only interviewed for one Post-Doc position, and wasn't offered it today. Fine, I was lukewarm about it in the first place. That being said I am just REALLY struggling to figure out a direction to take, and what specialized training I really want going forward. If anyone has any specific advice on obtaining post-doctoral hours while working as a school psychologist, I'd really appreciate it, as I'm feeling quite lost about what is going to happen come the end of internship.

If you are unsure of specialization, maybe pursue a position focused on generalist training...? I wonder if a postdoc at a college counseling center would fit well with your experience.

Hello,

For anyone still looking for a post-doc, please see info below regarding opportunities at Kaiser Permanente in Northern CA:

The Kaiser Permanente Mental Health Training Programs (Northern California) would like to announce that we have postdoctoral residency positions available at several of our clinics for the 2020-2021 training year. Our programs provide cutting-edge training within a large multidisciplinary healthcare system and aim to train the next generation of healthcare leaders in the healthcare model of the future. We currently have open positions in Behavioral Medicine, Adult Mental Health, Child & Family Mental Health, Chronic Pain, Addiction Medicine, and more. In addition to receiving cutting-edge clinical experience, residents receive extensive supervision and didactic training, comprehensive healthcare benefits, and one of the highest compensation packages of any residency program in the United States (over $60,000).

At this point in time, we have openings at the following medical centers across Kaiser Northern California:

· Oakland
· Richmond
· Vallejo
· Vacaville
· Santa Rosa
· San Rafael
· Santa Clara
· Walnut Creek
· Roseville
· San Jose
· San Francisco
· Redwood City
· Union City

*Be sure to check the APPIC UPPD for an updated list as this will change

For more information about the postdoctoral residency programs within Kaiser Permanente, please visit:
https://mentalhealthtraining-ncal.kaiserpermanente.org/postdoctoral-residency/

For an up-to-date listing of available residency positions within Kaiser, please visit the APPIC Universal Psychology Postdoctoral Directory:
https://www.appic.org/Postdocs/Universal-Psychology-Postdoctoral-Directory-UPPD . Enter “Kaiser” into the Program Name Search box, then under advanced search options, click on “Show only listings with unfilled positions.” This will then display for you an updated list of which Kaiser Permanente programs currently have openings.
Wow! What a stipend!

How do I see available positions? I get a message saying that there are no results when I click on this link.
Sorry, I guess it doesn't work to link it.
Go to the main UPPD page (Universal Psychology Postdoctoral Directory)
Click "Advanced Search Options"
At the bottom for "Unfilled Positions" select "Show only listings with unfilled positions"

Good luck!!