2020-2021 Tulane

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Tulane University

Secondary Prompts 2020-2021:

Briefly describe the reasons for your interest in Tulane University School of Medicine:
(150 Words)

Tulane University School of Medicine’s mission statement states: We improve human health and foster healthy communities through discovery and translation of the best science into clinical practice and education; to deliver the highest quality patient care and prepare the next generation of distinguished clinical and scientific leaders. Briefly describe how community service contributed to your education and your passion for medicine?
(150 Words)

List any leadership positions, in clubs or organizations, you may have held:
(100 Words)

Please list your hobbies and major non-academic interests:
(150 Words)

*OPTIONAL ESSAYS

Tulane University School of Medicine values the diversity of its patients, faculty, staff, and students. Do you identify with a particular group that you believe is underrepresented among medical professionals? These include groups oriented around, but not limited to: ethnicity, race, sexuality, religion, disability, and economic background.
(60 Words)

In what ways did the COVID-19 pandemic alter/interrupt your medical school application?
(No maximum)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Tulane is restricting how many applicants they will accept in ED.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep! And for Tulane, it's better to apply early too! I've seen previous postings where all the interview slots have been given by September/October. Not sure if this will change given COVID-19.

Does anyone know if Tulane is doing online interviews or in person interviews?

How many people are they restricting to accept in ED? Is this a change from last year?

Second-year med student (T2) at Tulane med school. One thing I recommend is submitting your applications early. Also, keep in mind that TUSOM looks for students that have a collaborative/team-like mindset.

PM me if you have any questions - more than happy to help out!

Reactions: 2 users
Damn, getting super nervous now because I submitted my primary already two weeks ago but it's on hold because my school only provides paper transcripts. Looking at a much later verification date now :(

My app has already been verified, but my committee letter won't get submitted until August 1st. Will this put me behind or am I ok to still apply?

Members don't see this ad :)
My app has already been verified, but my committee letter won't get submitted until August 1st. Will this put me behind or am I ok to still apply?

Especially now, given the pandemic, you should be in fine shape. You will likely miss the first round of application reviews, but medical schools this cycle are more aptly allocating and spacing out interview seats throughout the fall season. I would just make sure that the other elements of your application -- CASPer and pre-written secondary essays -- are ready to go.

Reactions: 1 users
Especially now, given the pandemic, you should be in fine shape. You will likely miss the first round of application reviews, but medical schools this cycle are more aptly allocating and spacing out interview seats throughout the fall season. I would just make sure that the other elements of your application -- CASPer and pre-written secondary essays -- are ready to go.

Mind you, CASPer is encouraged not required for Tulane.

Valid point, thanks for adding that! I believe it is also recommended but not required for WVU -- for interested parties applying to both schools.

Cheers

Haha, are you my application twin? I am also applying for WVU, who considers CASPer when pulling people off waitlist :)

Has anyone gotten secondaries yet? My application has been verified but I haven’t received anything.

Has anyone gotten secondaries yet? My application has been verified but I haven’t received anything.
You only start receiving secondaries after July 10th. AMCAS does not send any application to schools until then.

How long has app verification been taking? I submitted my primary 6/14 and all of my transcripts were submitted May

How long has app verification been taking? I submitted my primary 6/14 and all of my transcripts were submitted May

The AMCAS website says that as of Friday they were processing applications that were "Ready for Review" June 1st. I'm in the same boat - submitted June 7th but my transcript wasn't listed as received until June 15th...

same i submitted june 15 with everything ready to go but i think it'll be processed by july 10th so we should be fine

Reactions: 2 users
To the above posters, we have a page where SDNers can post when they submitted their app and when it was verified. There is a gradually increasing amount of time the later you submit before you get verified, so submit soon but be sure to not make any mistakes.

I wonder if the will send pre-MCAT interviews because of COVID, or they will wait for MCAT scores for late date takers.

Same!!!!!!!
My MCAT is 7/23 and my score won’t be back until 8/6 but everything is done so I’m very curious about this

Ugh, I'm testing on Aug 1 so I'll be even later. When does Tulane normally start sending out IIs?

Ugh, I'm testing on Aug 1 so I'll be even later. When does Tulane normally start sending out IIs?

Their MSAR info said that they will begin sending IIs out "July 2020." Nothing more specific.

I also looked at their Admissions Policy Changes, and the posting date was in April, so I'm not sure if they have changed anything since then.

Their posted changes do not talk about extending IIs w/ or w/out MCAT scores. It does say that June exam-takers should not expect to have their application delayed in any form.

Original script uploaded

Attachments

• COVID 19 Admissions Update3.pdf
    620.7 KB · Views: 168
Their MSAR info said that they will begin sending IIs out "July 2020." Nothing more specific.

I also looked at their Admissions Policy Changes, and the posting date was in April, so I'm not sure if they have changed anything since then.

Their posted changes do not talk about extending IIs w/ or w/out MCAT scores. It does say that June exam-takers should not expect to have their application delayed in any form.

Original script uploaded
**big sighh** lol Thanks for the info!! Good luck to all the applicants in this situation

Applications were sent out today, so likely soon!

Did anyone receive a secondary today?

Secondary received 7/13

Prompts:

Briefly describe the reasons for your interest in Tulane University School of Medicine:
(150 Words)

Tulane University School of Medicine’s mission statement states: We improve human health and foster healthy communities through discovery and translation of the best science into clinical practice and education; to deliver the highest quality patient care and prepare the next generation of distinguished clinical and scientific leaders. Briefly describe how community service contributed to your education and your passion for medicine?
(150 Words)

(100 Words)

(150 Words)

*OPTIONAL ESSAYS

Tulane University School of Medicine values the diversity of its patients, faculty, staff, and students. Do you identify with a particular group that you believe is underrepresented among medical professionals? These include groups oriented around, but not limited to: ethnicity, race, sexuality, religion, disability, and economic background.
(60 Words)

In what ways did the COVID-19 pandemic alter/interrupt your medical school application?
(No maximum)

@TheDataKing

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks for posting! I have not received the secondaries for Tulane yet.

Secondary received 7/13

Prompts:

(150 Words)

(150 Words)

(100 Words)

(150 Words)

*OPTIONAL ESSAYS

(60 Words)

(No maximum)

@TheDataKing

Since I haven't received a secondary yet, did they get rid of this question: "What have you been pursuing since graduation? (150 words)"

Since I haven't received a secondary yet, did they get rid of this question: "What have you been pursuing since graduation? (150 words)"

I think you can fit that answer into " List any leadership positions, in clubs or organizations, you may have held".

anyone have any insight on how they send their secondaries out? I submitted my AMCAS 6/15 and according to their updates should be verified sometime this week so wanted to see if I would be "late" for Tulane since they do everything so early

I'm OOS and submitted AMCAS on 5/28. No word from Tulane yet.

Everyone gets a secondary, so don’t worry.

OOS submitted 5/28. Nothing received yet.

Source: Tulane SOM FAQ page

Last edited:
No secondary yet. I hate being neurotic but this one is more time-sensitive than others I hear?

Does anyone else's photo look blurry when you import the jpeg into the application?

It's on there! If you indicated that you have graduated, it will pop up.

Hello everyone, for the question, "list any leadership positions, in clubs or organizations, you may have held", are you going to repeat your primary application or do a mixture of positions (i.e. some listed on primary, some new ones too)?

Hello everyone, for the question, "list any leadership positions, in clubs or organizations, you may have held", are you going to repeat your primary application or do a mixture of positions (i.e. some listed on primary, some new ones too)?
I prewrote but I listed all that I could fit, including ones omitted on AMCAS.

To those following the post I think mostly in state applicants have received secondaries. I'm a Louisiana resident and received my secondary this morning.