2020 APMLE Part 2 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

J29622

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Another year, another boards thread. What did you all think of the exam?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Definitely much more random/harder than I expected

I thought it was pretty tough. Very random, quite a few answer choices I never even heard of. There's no good way to study for this test. Just hoping I'm better than minimally competent

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not sure whether or not I passed, but I can tell you some resources that people recommend:

Pocket Pods (Watkins) for general knowledge
McGlamry's for Peri-operative management / anesthesia
Christman for Radiology

Prism and Crozer are good too - some overlap with Watkins but some stuff in there that is unique as well. There were topics that weren't covered very thoroughly in any resource, such as supramalleolar osteotomies and random epidemiology facts, but they cover a lot of the high yield topics.

In general, I found this exam harder to study for since the material is seemingly less standardized relative to Part I where most schools covered similar things. The array of clinical knowledge out there that one could theoretically be tested on is vast and as a result it seems borderline impossible to know every little fact that you could be tested on. Additionally, procedural selection is highly practitioner dependent and what one surgeon thinks is the best treatment could completely contradict what someone else thinks - had several questions that had more than one reasonable answer. Picked what made the most sense to me but I know of a few qualified attendings who would disagree with either one.

Reactions: 1 user
Passed, thank goodness.

Now I can relax and look forward to residency

Reactions: 5 users