2020 Program director survey is out.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How long does it take this survey to fill out? Dismal response rates. 8% of IM PDs? Come on

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting to see that 99% of PD's require Step 1 and 78% of PD's require Step 2 score for FM interview consideration. It seems like the prevailing opinion on here is that COMLEX is completely fine for FM. Maybe I'm misinterpreting the info on pg. 40?

Interesting to see that 99% of PD's require Step 1 and 78% of PD's require Step 2 score for FM interview consideration. It seems like the prevailing opinion on here is that COMLEX is completely fine for FM. Maybe I'm misinterpreting the info on pg. 40?
If you go to the next page 99% require COMLEX.

you do not need step to match FM

Reactions: 3 users
How are we suppose to get to know residency programs before we apply? One of the things was personal knowledge of the applicant beforehand

How are we suppose to get to know residency programs before we apply? One of the things was personal knowledge of the applicant beforehand

Other than your daddy being the chair? Research and away rotations.

Wow research is pretty low in a lot of these specialties. Great.

or attending the same institution as the program

Well yes, granted that you make yourself known in some manner. Typically people do this through research or a sub-i, but it could be done by becoming familiar with the department over time as well.

what’s an away rotation

An away rotation is a four week rotation at a a place different from your home program. Your job is to show up early, leave late, work harder than everyone else, know your stuff, don't do or say anything stupid, and be great to get along with. If you can impress, this will maximize your chances of securing an interview and subsequently matching at the place you rotated at. You're a known entity and they've got an idea of what your work ethic and personality is like. This is why about 60%+ of successful ortho applicants match where they rotated, whether that's at home or at an away. Away rotations can vary from unnecessary and even likely to hurt you (IM) to absolutely necessary to even have any chance (ortho, nsg, PRS, uro, etc).

Last edited:
Is there any insight from this survey that signals a shift in PD expectations (compared to the last survey)?

Any actionable information - or is it more of what we already expected?

Well yes, granted that you make yourself known in some manner. Typically people do this through research or a sub-i, but it could be done by becoming familiar with the department over time as well.

An away rotation is a four week rotation at a a place different from your home program. Your job is to show up early, leave late, work harder than everyone else, know your stuff, don't do or say anything stupid, and be great to get along with. If you can impress, this will maximize your chances of securing an interview and subsequently matching at the place you rotated at. You're a known entity and they've got an idea of what your work ethic and personality is like. This is why about 60%+ of successful ortho applicants match where they rotated, whether that's at home or at an away. Away rotations can vary from unnecessary and even likely to hurt you (IM) to absolutely necessary to even have any chance (ortho, nsg, PRS, uro, etc).

how do I get one?

Are away rotations recommended for a DO wanting to do a combined IM/Peds rotation? I've seen that away rotations are not recommended for IM.