2021-2020 LOW MCAT GANG (505 under)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

curiouskathy98

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.. I wanted to create a thread for those with LOW (505 and below) MCAT scores applying in the 2021 cycle. As a fellow 504 scorer, I know it can be difficult seeing others with high stats getting II's. I think it would be great if we could create a thread where applicants like us can share their good news as it would def be an encouragement for some! I know it would be for me! So please, feel free to use this thread anyway you see fit: post the schools you applied, if you got II's, etc. Looking forward to seeing the discussion posts!

Here are the schools I've applied to.. I've gotten secondaries for all, no II's yet (will update)

MD
  • Mercer (Waitlisted)
  • Howard
  • Meharry (Rejected)
  • Tulane (Rejected)
  • Cooper (Rejected)
  • Drexel (Rejected)
  • Loma Linda (Rejected)
  • MCG - Augusta, GA (Rejected)
  • Seton Hall at Hackensack Meridian (Rejected)
  • Loyola (Rejected)
  • Chicago Med at Rosalind Franklin (Rejected)
  • TCU (Rejected)
  • UAB (Rejected)
  • Georgetown (Rejected)
  • Morehouse (Rejected)
DO
  • VCOM - Carolinas (Accepted)
  • GAPCOM (Accepted)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 10 users
Hey just posting here to say I got a 506 (I know it’s not below 505) on my MCAT and ended up with 2 MD acceptances and many more DO acceptances. I believe in all you low MCATers!!

Also out of my med school friend group (7),we have like 4 people with 505 or below.

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
Hey just posting here to say I got a 506 (I know it’s not below 505) on my MCAT and ended up with 2 MD acceptances and many more DO acceptances. I believe in all you low MCATers!!

Also out of my med school friend group (7),we have like 4 people with 505 or below.

Yooo! Congrats, where all did you apply/get in?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, just learned about this thread and following!
I'm applying to TX schools as in state resident..will let you know how it goes!

To OP, I applied to Tulane and they say that all applicants receive a secondary. Not sure if you received one and forgot to update, but figured to be safe and advise you anyways :)

Excited for this thread!

504 mcat/ 3.7gpa and ~40 secondaries submitted all about mid September. 2 II's so far!

Reactions: 1 user
All secondaries complete by mid September, 502 mcat, 3.6 sGPA and cGPA, only one II from LECOM eerie (but in January...). I have a strong narrative to serve the underserved.

Slowly losing hope for this cycle.
Got a long COVID- effected cycle in head of us. I wouldn't stress yourself out just yet. There will more likely than not be a lot more waitlists and delays on interview invites this year due to the circumstances of canceled MCATs, late applications, and such.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Hi friendos, not sure how many are following this thread. However, I am here to give some hope. For starters, I’m a reapplicant. I took the MCAT 3 times, and scored a 504->500->504. I was scoring 510 consistently on practice exams, so I thought my app was dead when I got the 504 AGAIN lol. My GPA was solid at 3.84 and I had pretty great ECs. I got 6 DO interviews (but withdrew from two) and 1 MD interview at a state school. I have been accepted to all 4 DO schools and 1 MD school. If y’all are wondering the MD school is Wright State. The cycle isn’t over yet, but I assume I won’t get any other MD II. I’m counting my blessings. IF (big if) that changes, I’ll update.
Anyway, don’t give up hope. Keep being persistent and resilient, friends!! We will all be fantastic physicians someday. If anyone has any questions, PM me.

Last edited:
  • Care
Hi!, I got a 499 on the MCAT back in March (phew right before COVID got bad) Submitted 10 DO secondary's and 5MD secondary's. No interview invites yet, only 2 DO and 4MD schools left to hear from :(

Any suggestions on when to start the reapplication process? I am coming to terms that i will most likely have to take the MCAT again. (someone tell me how ) Any suggestions?

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Hi!, I got a 499 on the MCAT back in March (phew right before COVID got bad) Submitted 10 DO secondary's and 5MD secondary's. No interview invites yet, only 2 DO and 4MD schools left to hear from :(

Any suggestions on when to start the reapplication process? I am coming to terms that i will most likely have to take the MCAT again. (someone tell me how ) Any suggestions?

It's Nov 6 today - you still have time to send out more DO apps and work the secondaries. When you get secondaries, fill them out and send them asap.

Be sure you cover BCOM, WCUCOM, PCOM all campuses, LECOM all campuses, VCOM all campuses, ARCOM, etc etc.

@Goro thoughts?

It's Nov 6 today - you still have time to send out more DO apps and work the secondaries. When you get secondaries, fill them out and send them asap.

Be sure you cover BCOM, WCUCOM, PCOM all campuses, LECOM all campuses, VCOM all campuses, ARCOM, etc etc.

@Goro thoughts?
You don’t think it’s too late to fill out more DO apps ? Don’t they have a cutoff date ?

Members don't see this ad :)

I definitely do not think its too late!

"At least for my school:

Early is June-November
moderately late is Dec
late is Jan 1 and beyond. At this point, we start rationing seats

Our rough turn-around time is six weeks from receipt of secondary to II." -The wise Goro (granted it is pulled from a while back)

And thats without the effects on Coronavirus on the application cycle.

@Goro thoughts?
A 499 isn't going to get any love from PCOM, and I can't recommend BCOM. Try WCUCOM, LECOM all campuses, VCOM all campuses, ARCOM, NYITC-AR, ACOM, KYCOM, WVSOM

503, 3.75, all my luck in the DO department - 10 II, 6 attended, 4 A's, 1 WL, 1 pending. Haven't heard a single peep from any MD schools. Guess I'm meant to have magic in these hands. :bow:

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
You don’t think it’s too late to fill out more DO apps ? Don’t they have a cutoff date ?

Not too late. Get your secondaries in by Thanksgiving and you'll be alright.

Personally I sent apps to a few extra schools even after thanksgiving. One of my interviews came a few months before matriculation --> acceptance. So you've gotta to take your shots.

A 499 isn't going to get any love from PCOM, and I can't recommend BCOM. Try WCUCOM, LECOM all campuses, VCOM all campuses, ARCOM, NYITC-AR, ACOM, KYCOM, WVSOM
thank you ! i did apply to another like 13 DO schools, i also emailed a few of the rejected schools. one replied and obvi said i should retake the mcat and they are looking for a 3.4 overall GPA. NOW..... i have a 3.25 cum BUT that was with nursing school which had a different grading scale. i only had 1 2nd app ask if there was anything to "explain" about my grades and i wrote out the grading scale...... so are these schools just looking at my crappy BSN GPA thats low because of a messd up grading scale? i took all the prereuqs (physics, chem, biochem etc) got all A and B.

Wow congrats!!!! When were you complete at most schools? Also Can I PM you about ECs or what you think helped you stand out?
Sure. I had AACOMAS in mid-June, AMCAS by mid-July, and all secondaries complete by first week in September, I believe.

Just want to drop in and say that I got accepted to my state‘s US MD school with a 502 MCAT as an ORM. I also didn’t cure cancer or anything, so please don’t be discouraged!

Omg!! I'm so glad this thread is getting some traction. I ended up putting it on Unwatched in September bc I thought no one was going to respond. As an update I've had one II at Mercer, and 2 II/A's from both my applied DO schools: GAPCOM and VCOM. Good luck to everyone else this cycle!!

Reactions: 3 users
Excited for this thread!

504 mcat/ 3.7gpa and ~40 secondaries submitted all about mid September. 2 II's so far!

I saw you've recently updated to 2 II's at MD programs: mind if I ask where at? CONGRATS!!

Just want to drop in and say that I got accepted to my state‘s US MD school with a 502 MCAT as an ORM. I also didn’t cure cancer or anything, so please don’t be discouraged!

Congrats to you!!! I wish I wasn't a GA resident where the stats for our state school is: 512 :bigtears:

Does anyone here know how MCAT and GPA are looked at together? In my case, I have a low MCAT and high GPA so can one make up for the other?

What about for MD schools? @DReamer9000
I do not think a high GPA alone will make up for a lower MCAT at MD schools, you will need to show something unique in your app (like a stellar EC), or have Veteran or URM status. For MD, you really need to bring up your MCAT for the best chance (that is what I was told and I did not take the advice and am currently without any MD II). Even for the more established and older DO schools, they are valuing MCAT scores more and more over the years (again my n=1 experience proves this, since I have no II at the established DO schools, despite having above their average GPA).

502 MCAT, 3.5 cGPA and pretty low sGPA. Hoping to hear from more schools soon. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
Got it.

Hoping that my ECs, story, disadvantaged status, and GPA can overcome my lackluster MCAT.

Hey everyone! Just curious about what ya'lls opinions are on my situation. I have a 67 LM due to my low MCAT and high GPA as a FL resident. I have all the research, hundreds of clinical hours and a pretty interesting backstory/project, so yes I did all the things. I applied to over 50 schools back in August and have since lost track of how many DO IIs I got, but have complete silence from MDs. I know it is still pretty early in the cycle but just wanted to know if anyone had advice or similar experiences. Thanks!

Hey everyone! Just curious about what ya'lls opinions are on my situation. I have a 67 LM due to my low MCAT and high GPA as a FL resident. I have all the research, hundreds of clinical hours and a pretty interesting backstory/project, so yes I did all the things. I applied to over 50 schools back in August and have since lost track of how many DO IIs I got, but have complete silence from MDs. I know it is still pretty early in the cycle but just wanted to know if anyone had advice or similar experiences. Thanks!

Lol ya man me too - it sucks. I guess my only thing to recommend would be to send update letters? and make sure that you're getting clinical experience, if you can

Wow I can't believe I just found this! I got a 505... twice! One on 7/7 and the other on 8/14. Thought first 505 was a fluke since I was scoring 510+ on all my practice exams, guess not though haha. Applied to 25 schools- 4 pre-II rejections so far. Thought I was totally done and would have to take a gap year, and then I just got my first II yesterday from my state school! Couldn't be more excited, stay strong everybody, we've got this! Our MCAT scores don't define us!

Man, I’m so happy that I found this group thanks to curiouskathy. I’m a non traditional URM applicant. I’ve been out of undergrad for 9 years now, so was honestly having some self confidence issues going into this cycle. Adding insult to injury, I ended up sitting the MCAT on the last day 9/28/2020 and got a 503. I had applied to 2 states schools in July just to get my application verified, but I saved the other 15 schools for when I got my scores back. Didn’t get the majority of my secondaries in until mid to late October.
Took the gamble and only applied to MD schools and so far I’ve got 3 interviews at Northeast Ohio, Pitt, and UAB. I don’t know if this is divine intervention or not, but def has opened my eyes to the fact that there is some truth to the concept of holistic review as opposed to just numbers. Know that I’m rooting for every single one of Yal in here! I consider yal all family already!!!

All secondaries complete by mid September, 502 mcat, 3.6 sGPA and cGPA, only one II from LECOM eerie (but in January...). I have a strong narrative to serve the underserved.

Slowly losing hope for this cycle.
Don’t lose hope. You got this. A lot of this cycle is mental. Just continue to believe in yourself. You know the value that you bring. I’m sure any school would be lucky to have you!

• Care
Man, I’m so happy that I found this group thanks to curiouskathy. I’m a non traditional URM applicant. I’ve been out of undergrad for 9 years now, so was honestly having some self confidence issues going into this cycle. Adding insult to injury, I ended up sitting the MCAT on the last day 9/28/2020 and got a 503. I had applied to 2 states schools in July just to get my application verified, but I saved the other 15 schools for when I got my scores back. Didn’t get the majority of my secondaries in until mid to late October.
Took the gamble and only applied to MD schools and so far I’ve got 3 interviews at Northeast Ohio, Pitt, and UAB. I don’t know if this is divine intervention or not, but def has opened my eyes to the fact that there is some truth to the concept of holistic review as opposed to just numbers. Know that I’m rooting for every single one of Yal in here! I consider yal all family already!!!
OMMGG CONGRATS TO U

Sadly I would also agree with the above comment. I've seen more people get II's with low GPA/high MCAT than high GPA/low MCAT :bigtears:
You are correct. I agree. Think about it The MCAT is a fair standard way to track a student’s academic capacity to pass boards in the future. GPA is not a fair indicator as you could be comparing a 3.3 GPA from a student at Harvard with super hard professors to a student with a 4.0 community college career. These are both great but unfair. (Disclaimer there’s nothing wrong with community college professors I’m just making a comparison)

Hey guys! This group has been quiet. How’s the interview season been for you all. Wishing you all the best!

Hi everyone! I have a low MCAT and high GPA. I got 4 MD interviews, attended 3, with 2 acceptances and one WL. I'm a re-applicant and also a URM. Hope the rest of you are having a great cycle.

Reactions: 4 users
Good! 3 MD interviews, 4 DO interviews... attended all, 2 MD acceptances and 2 DO acceptances. Waitlist at 1 DO and waiting to hear back from the rest!

I will keep things going! 10 MD interviews. So far I have 3A and 6 waitlist. I am waiting to hear from one more school.

I had a 490 mcat (yikes, I know) in the fall. Retaking and reapplying this summer. My GPA is 3.54. What's a good minimum mcat score to offset my so-so GPA?

• Care
502+ should set you up great for DO schools (if all other things on your app are solid, like ECs, LORs etc).

I would say 507+ for MD schools but you will of course need to apply broadly.

Maybe others can chime in as well.
My biggest concern besides mcat is ECs that show leadership. I graduated already so school orgs are likely out of the question. I got hip to pre med preparation kinda late in undergrad.. Any ideas for leadership opportunities post graduation?

My biggest concern besides mcat is ECs that show leadership. I graduated already so school orgs are likely out of the question. I got hip to pre med preparation kinda late in undergrad.. Any ideas for leadership opportunities post graduation?
Possibly any supervisor position whether it be in relation to a job or volunteering.

I had a 490 mcat (yikes, I know) in the fall. Retaking and reapplying this summer. My GPA is 3.54. What's a good minimum mcat score to offset my so-so GPA?
502+ for DO, 510+ to be comfortable for MD. shoot for as high as possible obviously bc some schools average the mcat scores (if you get a 508 next try, some schools will count your MCAT as a 499 - (490+508/2)

502+ for DO, 510+ to be comfortable for MD. shoot for as high as possible obviously bc some schools average the mcat scores (if you get a 508 next try, some schools will count your MCAT as a 499 - (490+508/2)
Is this readily available info or is this a sneaky thing some schools do?

Just wanted to add to give others hope, 499 mcat, 3 MD interviews and 4 DO interviews (I turned down 2), 2 acceptances (1 DO and an MD at a top 40 school) so far, 1 MD waitlist and I’m still waiting to hear back from the other two schools.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Just wanted to add to give others hope, 499 mcat, 3 MD interviews including a top 40 school, and 4 DO interviews (I turned down 2), 2 acceptances (1 DO and 1 MD) so far, 1 MD waitlist and I’m still waiting to hear back from the other two schools.
Do you mind telling your gpa?